NBA Preseason Discussion

nbafan88

Pretty much a regular
Wanted a thread to post any thoughts we have from watching preseason games. If anyone dabbles in preseason action, the lines are very exploitable if you have kept up with the offseason moves and do a little capping. I'm just on the sidelines right now but tempted by Orlando tonight

Wanted a thread to post any thoughts we have from watching preseason games. If anyone dabbles in preseason action, the lines are very exploitable if you have kept up with the offseason moves and do a little capping. I'm just on the sidelines right now but tempted by Orlando tonight

Made a nice chunk a few years slowly watching lines move and pouncing...follow the action was order of day back in mid to late 2000's..

Why are there already preseason games?

I have never seen them this early. Training camp just started. Kooky.

Where can you find preseason schedules?
In general (although you should always double check to see where the game is actually being played - for ex, last night Toronto and the Lakers were "home", but the games were in Vancouver and Honolulu respectively): http://www.nba.com/gameline/20151005/

For you specifically:

[TABLE="class: tablehead"]
<tbody>[TR="class: stathead"]
[TD="colspan: 9"]2016 Preseason Schedule[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: colhead"]
[TD]OCTOBER[/TD]
[TD]OPPONENT[/TD]
[TD]TIME (ET)[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]TV[/TD]
[TD]TICKETS[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]LOCATION[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-46-23"]
[TD]Wed, Oct 7[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]10:00 PM[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]NBATV[/TD]
[TD]161 available from $9[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]US Airways Center[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-26"]
[TD]Fri, Oct 9[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD]155 available from $10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-46-10"]
[TD]Tue, Oct 13[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]150 available from $12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-7"]
[TD]Fri, Oct 16[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]9:00 PM[/TD]
[TD]47 available from $25[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Pepsi Center[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-46-24"]
[TD]Tue, Oct 20[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]8:30 PM[/TD]
[TD]2,145 available from $9[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]AT&T Center[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-6"]
[TD]Wed, Oct 21[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]8:30 PM[/TD]
[TD]2,556 available from $9[/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]American Airlines Center[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Made a nice chunk a few years slowly watching lines move and pouncing...follow the action was order of day back in mid to late 2000's..
Just saw the line movement in the Pistons game tonight. Opened Detroit -2.5, now sitting at Pacers -4. Same in the Mavs game (opened Mavs -3.5, now Nuggets -4). Gonna have to do some investigating...

Played Milwaukee. Just a silly guess that they remember the last game where they were at home and lost by 54 points

Played Milwaukee. Just a silly guess that they remember the last game where they were at home and lost by 54 points
Looks good. Out for the Bulls: Derrick Rose, Pau Gasol, Taj Gibson and Kirk Hinrich. Might add that one later.

:cheers3:

Thinking to lay it with the Pistons
Nets can't afford to play their starters big minutes and the team is awful

pistons will have all 5 starters available tonight and the team is much more talented all around

would be surprised if the nets keep this close.

Thinking to lay it with the Pistons
Nets can't afford to play their starters big minutes and the team is awful

pistons will have all 5 starters available tonight and the team is much more talented all around

would be surprised if the nets keep this close.
Tim Bontemps @TimBontemps
The starting lineup for the Nets will be: Shane Larkin, Wayne Ellington, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Thaddeus Young and Brook Lopez.
<time class="dt-updated" datetime="2015-10-08T15:31:31+0000" pubdate="" title="Time posted: 08 Oct 2015, 15:31:31 (UTC)">11:31 AM - 8 Oct 2015
</time>

Tim Bontemps @TimBontemps Jarrett Jack, Joe Johnson, Markel Brown, Andrea Bargnani, Willie Reed, Bojan Bogdanovic, Thomas Robinson & Sergey Karasev are out tonight.
<time class="dt-updated" datetime="2015-10-08T15:28:43+0000" pubdate="" title="Time posted: 08 Oct 2015, 15:28:43 (UTC)">11:28 AM - 8 Oct 2015</time>

I originally thought the lakers/raptors game was in Ontario, CAnada

but its in Ontario, California

the lakers have been in hawaii for the past two weeks

leaning kings as well... spurs arent going to push anyone too hard and this is their first preseason game while this is the kings third game and its their first home game... where they play much better

Went with Pistons and kings in a ml parlay with Texans in football and the over 7.5 in MLb game as more of an action pleaser tonight. First time doing a parlay in a looong time lol.. Gl tonight.. Tor/lal under also has me interested.. Raptors really been putting a lot of emphasis on their new defensive scheme.. Lakers should struggle

Think it's safe to assume the Bulls should be a good over bet this season with the number of 3's Hoiberg's encouraging them to take.

One thing is becoming abundantly clear - I need to stop betting against the Blazers. Not that they're necessarily a better team than I originally thought, but clearly their players are more willing to put out max effort than their opponents. Plus, not to gripe too much, but that's now two games in a row where Belinelli misses a FT at the end to either give the Kings the push or the cover, and two games in a row where Stotts doesn't have the Blazers foul at the end. C'mon man, throw me a bone... : )

In other news, Chris Paul broke a finger last night/this morning so probably inactive today. As for the other games, meh... Magic/Rockets looks like an over, and maybe the Lakers (don't think the Wizards game will be lined, but you never know).

The blazers are definitely going to be giving max effort because theyre essentially playing to show who deserves to get minutes.... and its just relative to the other the teams

and at the same time, the lines are shaded for the loss of all the players that the blazers lost... so its like a double whammy

Not much seems to stand out today...

[TABLE="class: lines"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="class: linesHeader, colspan: 3"]NBA Preseason Basketball[/TH]
[TH="class: linesHeader"]Spread[/TH]
[TH="class: linesHeader"][/TH]
[TH="class: linesHeader"]Total Points[/TH]
[TH="class: linesHeader, colspan: 2"][/TH]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesSubHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Memphis Grizzlies vs Cleveland Cavaliers</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRow"]
[TD]Mon 10/12[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]551 Memphis Grizzlies[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S1_0" name="radiox" type="radio"> -2 -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L1_0" name="radiox" type="radio">o192½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesRowBot"]
[TD]7:05PM[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]552 Cleveland Cavaliers[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S2_0" name="radiox" type="radio"> +2 -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L2_0" name="radiox" type="radio">u192½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Philadelphia 76ers at New York Knicks</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Mon 10/12[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]553 Philadelphia 76ers[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S1_1" name="radiox" type="radio"> +4½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L1_1" name="radiox" type="radio">o197½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]7:35PM[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]554 New York Knicks[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S2_1" name="radiox" type="radio"> -4½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L2_1" name="radiox" type="radio">u197½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>San Antonio Spurs at Miami Heat</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Mon 10/12[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]555 San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S1_2" name="radiox" type="radio"> pk -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L1_2" name="radiox" type="radio">o192½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]556 Miami Heat[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S2_2" name="radiox" type="radio"> pk -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L2_2" name="radiox" type="radio">u192½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Minnesota Timberwolves at Toronto Raptors</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Mon 10/12[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]557 Minnesota Timberwolves[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S1_3" name="radiox" type="radio"> +7½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L1_3" name="radiox" type="radio">o202½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]558 Toronto Raptors[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S2_3" name="radiox" type="radio"> -7½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L2_3" name="radiox" type="radio">u202½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>New Orleans Pelicans at Chicago Bulls</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Mon 10/12[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]559 New Orleans Pelicans[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S1_4" name="radiox" type="radio"> +2 -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L1_4" name="radiox" type="radio">o200½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]8:05PM[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]560 Chicago Bulls[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S2_4" name="radiox" type="radio"> -2 -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L2_4" name="radiox" type="radio">u200½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="colspan: 8"]<small>Portland Trail Blazers at Utah Jazz</small>[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]Mon 10/12[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]561 Portland Trail Blazers[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S1_5" name="radiox" type="radio"> +4½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L1_5" name="radiox" type="radio">o192½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]9:05PM[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]562 Utah Jazz[/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="S2_5" name="radiox" type="radio"> -4½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]<input id="radiox" value="L2_5" name="radiox" type="radio">u192½ -110[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Kind of like the over at United Center as the Pelicans are forced to play small with injuries to Asik and Ajinca, although Eric Gordon's questionable, so that doesn't really help. Think I read everyone made the trip for the Spurs (surprise, surprise. No go for Sacramento, but they all show up for a trip to South Beach.) Raptors team total, maybe, but 105 for a team that hasn't shown that much on offense so far maybe not a great deal, even if it is against the T-Wolves. Maybe the Sixers/Knicks over although, if it doesn't hit, one of those games where you're like "What the hell was I thinking?" Decisions, decisions...

<header id="yui_3_18_1_1_1444668851609_2299" class="header"> Lin wows crowd as Hornets sting Clippers in China

</header>

(Reuters) - Jeremy Lin scored 16 points off the bench to help the Charlotte Hornets prevail 106-94 over the Los Angeles Clippers in the first of two pre-season games in China on Sunday.
The first NBA player of Taiwanese descent, Lin was egged on by the sellout crowd in Shenzhen as the 27-year-old orchestrated the Hornets' attack in his first NBA appearance in China.
"We're very happy to play the first ever NBA Global Games in Shenzhen. Thank you for having us, fans," said Lin, sporting a stylish hairstyle.
"I think I've been able to get a lot of really good shots. Fluidity and motion, as long as I keep working on it, will get even better," he added.
Cody Zeller also scored 16 points, one of the seven Charlotte players to reach double digits in the match.
Clippers point guard Chris Paul missed the match with a finger injury.
J.J. Redick scored 21 of his 23 points in the first half to help the Clippers erase a 12-point deficit to trail 57-55 at halftime but the Hornets pulled away again in the third period.
The two teams will meet again in Shanghai on Wednesday.

You would think that these teams would get a split in China... but I think the hornets are the better all around team and they have a coach that has been to China many times in the past as well as Linsanity... I took the hornets ML in the first game and will most likely be on them again in the second game. Tip off is Wednesday 8 AM EST

listening/watching the post practice videos is super important

chris bosh had a great practice, is a little under the weather though so not sure if he'll play today... really big boost to the team morale though

and he did a Xarelto commercial...

d wade is releasing his wine in the US in November

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/134331825" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="500" width="500"></iframe>

Doc Rivers and Paul Pierce celebrated their birthdays in Shanghai on Tuesday by reviving an NBA tradition.Clippers rookie Branden Dawson sang to them on the roof of their team hotel.
"That was great from Branden," Rivers said with a chuckle during a phone conversation with The Times. "Well, it was as good as it was going to be from Branden."
Rivers turned 54 and Pierce 38, ages that tend to prompt old-man jokes in professional sports.
<aside class="trb_ar_sponsoredmod" data-adloader-networktype="yieldmo" data-role="delayload_item" data-screen-size="mobile" data-withinviewport-options="bottomOffset=100" data-load-method="trb.vendor.yieldmo.init" data-load-type="method"> </aside>"I told him, 'Combined, we're 92 years old,'" Rivers said of Pierce.
Chris Paul and Austin Rivers delivered a birthday surprise to Doc Rivers when they participated in practice after having sat out the Clippers' exhibition loss to the Charlotte Hornets on Saturday in Shenzhen, China. Doc Rivers said both players wanted to play in the rematch between the teams Wednesday in Shanghai.
<aside class="trb_embed " data-content-id="84063351" data-content-size="small" data-content-type="story" data-content-slug="la-sports-most-read-stories-this-hour-link" data-content-subtype="storylink" data-role="socialshare_item imgsize_ratiosizecontainer " data-state=" "> See the most-read stories in Sports this hour >>

</aside>Paul broke his left index finger during a collision with Pierce, Rivers said, but the severity of the fracture was lessened because it was on the upper part of the finger where there's no tendons. Austin Rivers had five teeth re-implanted after catching a wayward elbow from Dawson.
The Clippers struggled against the Hornets without their top two point guards, but Doc Rivers said there were other factors that contributed to the lackluster showing. The coach had put his team through back-to-back practices lasting at least three hours, and there's also the jet-lag factor.
Rivers also pinned part of the Clippers' defensive issues on new pick-and-roll coverages that he said players have not mastered.
The trip has been about more than basketball, of course. Rivers said he took his players to a Buddhist temple and had dinner at a rooftop bar with Chinese superstar Yao Ming and former teammate Patrick Ewing.
"Patrick Ewing looked small," Rivers said, noting the comparison between the longtime New York Knicks center and the 7-foot-6 Ming. The Clippers have another basketball clinic scheduled before their next game against the Hornets. Then they will return to California.
"It's been a great trip for us," Rivers said. "If we're lucky enough to win it at the end of the year, I guarantee part of the reason will be because of China."

I love this hornets team. Batum changes a lot. If only Lin could be this good in America. The hornets are shooting so many more 3s that LY..... Note

And the clippers are going to become dysfunctional sometime this year.

Didn't know psycho T was on the hornets

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Cavaliers coach David Blatt said LeBron James may not play again this preseason in attempt to keep the team's brightest star healthy while everyone else around him continues to limp.

James was a healthy scratch for the Cavs' preseason game Thursday against Indiana. He didn't play Tuesday at home against Milwaukee and sat one of Cleveland's two games last week.

Cleveland has two more preseason games remaining – Sunday in Toronto and Monday at The Q against Dallas – and Blatt said "we'll see what happens at the beginning of next week.

"I certainly don't expect him to play both games and I don't know if he'll play either one," Blatt said.

The caveat, of course, is if James decides he wants to play in either of those last two preseason games, he'd probably be out there. James, 30, is averaging 11 points, 3.5 rebounds, and 4.0 assists in the two games he's played -- in Cincinnati and Columbus.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/10/lebron_james_may_not_play_agai.html#incart_m-rpt-1

I'm guessing perhaps a nice effort tonight from the Suns. Losing in OT last game with a depleted and short handed roster?

Celtics are a very, very deep team and could be one to auto bet throughout the pre season. Knicks starting lineups haven't impressed me. Bench isn't terrible, tho.

My god the Wizards....
Well, to be fair, they've played the Sixers twice, the Knicks, and some crappy team from Brazil. Plus, they get the Bucks, who've been equally horrid on defense, tomorrow night. First real test won't be til Miami on Wednesday.

Does make you wonder why Wittman had them playing so slow before though...

Well, to be fair, they've played the Sixers twice, the Knicks, and some crappy team from Brazil. Plus, they get the Bucks, who've been equally horrid on defense, tomorrow night. First real test won't be til Miami on Wednesday.

Does make you wonder why Wittman had them playing so slow before though...
Looks like Porter can play a lil.
Looked like a bust after rook yr

Looks like Porter can play a lil.
Looked like a bust after rook yr
I'm starting to wonder about Okafor a little though. I know its preseason, but to only be averaging 3 rebounds per game through three games isn't quite what I was expecting. Granted, he's usually on the floor with Noel, so that's going to hurt his numbers, but on nights where he's not getting it done on offense, not sure what kind of value he's going to have out there on the floor other than just being a big body.

I'm starting to wonder about Okafor a little though. I know its preseason, but to only be averaging 3 rebounds per game through three games isn't quite what I was expecting. Granted, he's usually on the floor with Noel, so that's going to hurt his numbers, but on nights where he's not getting it done on offense, not sure what kind of value he's going to have out there on the floor other than just being a big body.
Only saw bits of him in first pre-season game.
He is going to be able to score tho

Typical nba for me.
Bet over 204 nyk Boston
60 plus first qu then a 38 pt second. Bs

Random thoughts: Near as I can tell, the Hornets got back to Charlotte from China around 5 AM EST on Thursday morning. Will it still feel like 7 AM Beijing time when they take the court tonight? Hmmm... And Melo played 23 minutes last night. Is he gonna play on a B2B? Kings/Pelicans at Rupp Arena. Cousins and AD go all out tonight? Wiz to roll again? Bucks giving up a lot of points, but strange numbers: low shooting % but lots and lots of fouls. And no Kobe for the Lakers...

My friend attended a wedding at the Ritz in NYC last night and saw a lot of the 76ers players. He just texted me saying he just saw Okafor get out of an elevator. Better get going to the arena!

The Warriors lakers game last night was stopped late in the third quarter due to moisture on the court.

Lakers play the Blazers tonight

@TimBontemps: Jarrett Jack, Joe Johnson, Thaddeus Young and Brook Lopez didn't travel to Boston. Andrea Bargnani and Markel Brown remain out.

oh dear lord

Back