AFC Championship: Bengals vs. Chiefs Discussion Thread

6u cin +2.5 for me. I am nervous about OL and was blind to fact bills pass rush sucks. Chiefs does not tho but going with the non inj qb. High ankle sprain will be tough.

It’s hilarious. People were giving shit for saying Cincy D was better than Buffalo D. Cincy’s defensive schemes can shut down a variety of offenses. They are so underrated but keep proving people wrong. I’m all over Cincy vs KC. Especially with the injury.

If healthy and all things considered he’s P4P the QB everyone starts a team with. The last of the precision passers.

Accuracy, and the ability to improvise. We'll never see another one like Mahomes, ever.

But you can't go wrong with either. Sucks that one won't be healthy Sunday. That's why I'm on Burrow, heavy. I love him.

I fucking LOVE Joey B…but 15 plays the game at a super human level. Burrow arguably the 2nd best QB in the sport for sure though.

Mahomes is likely to be a shell of himself with that bad plant / right foot. He'll be effective but everything will be inside the pocket, whatever pocket he has. Cincy's defensive game plan will be so much simpler overall, and it doesn't need any help with that personnel / coaching staff.

Love Cincy in this game.

Last edited:
I fucking LOVE Joey B…but 15 plays the game at a super human level. Burrow arguably the 2nd best QB in the sport for sure though.

With a bad wheel I’ll take burtow ahead of mahomes, I agree mahomes 1 but I think burrow is in the Montana/Brady mold and will win more hardware even if he doesn’t have quite the physical gifts of Patty.

Mahomes is likely to be a shell of himself with that bad plant / right foot. He'll be effective but everything will be inside the pocket, whatever pocket he has. Cincy's defensive game plan will be so much simpler overall, and it doesn't need any help with that personnel / coaching staff.

Love Cincy in this game.

It gonna be extremely tough for kc offense if mahomes can’t move, where can they really stress Cincy d? This year more than ever been mahomes moving and all his crazy angles beating the cover 2 shell that was starting to bottle them up. I fully expect a way more aggressive d from cincy and don’t think a limited mahomes and the guys he working with can consistently make them pay for that? The 47 total kinda screams so considering when they played in cincy earlier it was 53.5 or some shit, the last few ended 51. 47 feels like a strong nod to the defenses. I think kc d will cause way more issues than bills did but ultimately there be bigger plays to be had for bengals weapons. It will take a amazing effort from kc oline and a fantastic game plan from Reid for chiefs to break 20 I think.

I have to hear others cases for kc, I have a hard time making one for them. I could be dangerously close to being too big a burrow/cincy fan boy? Lol. Feel like it justified tho, it only the oline injuries that keeps me from saying they hands down the most complete team. Last year the line was awful and finally with 2 HOF’ers rams d barely stopped them and they had just enough but I was that close to cincy totally burying me last season, I only make that mistake once! They are so good on both sides. If mahomes was healthy I’d say it was a toss up, if he not I don’t think it is.

It says a lot about Mahomes,for good reason, that this is a discussion. But, we have a hobbled QB which takes away the #1 trait that separates him from all others, his mobility. You give me a point against Burrow and his receivers who have beaten KC before, I have to take the point. If I bet KC and lost I'd say "What the Hell were you thinking?"

Look forward to reading what others think - but have to go with this reason for now.

With a bad wheel I’ll take burtow ahead of mahomes, I agree mahomes 1 but I think burrow is in the Montana/Brady mold and will win more hardware even if he doesn’t have quite the physical gifts of Patty.
this. Mahomes is 1. But Burrow is really really good and might very well overtake him.

It says a lot about Mahomes,for good reason, that this is a discussion. But, we have a hobbled QB which takes away the #1 trait that separates him from all others, his mobility. You give me a point against Burrow and his receivers who have beaten KC before, I have to take the point. If I bet KC and lost I'd say "What the Hell were you thinking?"

Look forward to reading what others think - but have to go with this reason for now.
Yep. You all did watch that game right? He was literally hopping on 1 foot to hand the ball off. Jacksonville somehow couldn’t take advantage. Cincy will.

My case for KC? Their defense is actually pretty underrated. Their backup didn’t do half bad. They are familiar with Cincy so they largely know what to expect. And they have a number of good RBs who they can utilize more.

That being said, I’m on Cincy big time!

Fully healthy Mahomes is the best player in the league and it’s not remotely close.

In this state for 15, I agree, I’d probably take 9 over him in this one game. But to say Joe is the best player in the league by a lot is asinine.

I lean to Cincinnati, but I still need a few more days. I liken this to when everyone got a hard-on for Michigan when they beat Ohio State. People were immediately crowning Michigan and writing off Ohio State. Fantastic win by Cincinnati yesterday, and I know Mahomes is hobbled, but let’s pump the brakes just a bit.

“I think Buffalo was the best team in football this year and posts from the preseason should back that up. I don’t think it’s unfair to say that something is “not right” with this team. No team has been perfect that’s for sure, but this strikes me more as a team that is gassed. I guess that’s the best word I can come up with. I’m not saying they’re out of shape. I am saying they are not a 4 quarters team.”

-Me, Bills/Bengals thread

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said, via Bridget Condon of NFL Media.

- Buffalo Bills' Roger Saffold

Why are we giving this win the royal treatment, but failing to recall the same team was a goal line fumble from conceivably going home.

Mahomes threw for 220, Kelce had 4 catches, Chiefs had no sacks and no pressures... .And were leading on the road in the 4th with the ball. (At Bengals)

Look at the matchups: I have read here that Cincy is a top unit on D. Weighted DVOA (measures most recent data of what you do on the field), Cincy 11, KC 14

There's a lot to unpack in this game and Cincy very well may be the side, but if you're on them because of the Buffalo game, that should not be it.

Why are we acting like this bills win changed anything? Cincy been the most complete team in afc most the year. They beat kc, They were on their way to destroying bills in the Monday night game that never happened, they have beat a healthy mahomes 3x in 2 years. We should treat last week as just more the same, cincy The best team and they facing a less than 100% mahomes.

Why are we acting like this bills win changed anything? Cincy been the most complete team in afc most the year. They beat kc, They were on their way to destroying bills in the Monday night game that never happened, they have beat a healthy mahomes 3x in 2 years. We should treat last week as just more the same, cincy The best team and they facing a less than 100% mahomes.
History does say Niners over Bengals is how the ball rolls

Could see it...will still be on KC in some fashion, especially if Henne is captaining the ship at some point

Much of this is not based in fact or statistics. Theres no viewable metric that says they were the most complete team at any point this season.

There's literally nothing that can show they were on their way to "destroying" Buffalo the first game.

You can do the same for some of the Chiefs wins, but you can't say "Most complete" and ignore:

- Getting down 17-0 to the Bucs and benefiting from an absolute meltdown
- Blowing a 22-0 lead and needing a Stevenson fumble inside the 10 with a minute left to win the game to beat the Patriots
- Needing 4 turnovers from the Ravens to win the regular season finale because the offense got past the 50 twice in 9 drives that didn't start with a turnover.
- Needing a miracle fumble and 99 yard return to win against the same team at home.

Again... You can do this exercise for some teams.. Doesn't work as good on Eagles. And maybe the Bengals are the definitive side, but they have holes.

Edit: And I only did the tail end of the season.

Much of this is not based in fact or statistics. Theres no viewable metric that says they were the most complete team at any point this season.

There's literally nothing that can show they were on their way to "destroying" Buffalo the first game.

You can do the same for some of the Chiefs wins, but you can't say "Most complete" and ignore:

- Getting down 17-0 to the Bucs and benefiting from an absolute meltdown
- Blowing a 22-0 lead and needing a Stevenson fumble inside the 10 with a minute left to win the game to beat the Patriots
- Needing 4 turnovers from the Ravens to win the regular season finale because the offense got past the 50 twice in 9 drives that didn't start with a turnover.
- Needing a miracle fumble and 99 yard return to win against the same team at home.

Again... You can do this exercise for some teams.. Doesn't work as good on Eagles. And maybe the Bengals are the definitive side, but they have holes.

Edit: And I only did the tail end of the season.

Hmm let’s see. They started the bills game exactly same way they started yesterdays. They make the best defensive halftime adjustment In football. They beat kc 3x in 2 years who was considered the best team in afc, that a fact. They have beaten the teams that were allegedly the afc front runners during this stretch, how does that not make them the best? I guess we just have different criteria. Most the power ratings I respect had cincy in top 3 since November. And oh yea, they won the afc last year also and have done nothing to lose that crown.

To be clear I think if mahomes was healthy it be a total toss up, another game that came down to the end. I don’t see how Mahomes can possibly be his best tho, we know when he at his best Cincy has clipped them in very close games. Now he isn’t. It not like I’m saying cincy light years better, them and kc incredibly close but clearly cincy has had a slight edge when they have faced off and now kc has a bigger obstacle to overcome.

Bengals will be heavily bet here and if they make it they'll be heavily bet in the SB

I think Eagles or Niners beat them, likely Niners....but think KC wins the bowl

This game does not hinge on PH ankle, he's probably the best pocket passer in the league too....love the narrative though, fun to watch the whole world be on Bengals AT ARROWHEAD. It's very cute when you like cute. It's amazing how imperfect Cinci is regardless of what Romo says.

Bengals will be heavily bet here and if they make it they'll be heavily bet in the SB

I think Eagles or Niners beat them, likely Niners....but think KC wins the bowl

This game does not hinge on PH ankle, he's probably the best pocket passer in the league too....love the narrative though, fun to watch the whole world be on Bengals AT ARROWHEAD. It's very cute when you like cute. It's amazing how imperfect Cinci is regardless of what Romo says.

Maybe one these days kc will actually beat Cindy, not this week: I’ll take burrow from the pocket over mahomes all day.

Maybe one these days kc will actually beat Cindy, not this week: I’ll take burrow from the pocket over mahomes all day.
Disagree on the pocket

This Bengals team reminds me of the Rams in 98 or whatever it was. Everyone loves to watch but only got the one SB because they had a top 5 defense that needed Mike Jones crush at the one yd line to win the bowl. Bengals needed to win last year....like Rams then, they're making noise but as mentioned above, they have a ton of deficiencies like most do this year like the Rams did the following year

Part of me wants the Bengals to make the SB so I can get points with the Niners or Eagles but I don't think they will

Regardless of opinions it will be interesting to see Mahomes this week on a day by day...the way they practice will be based around his mobility. The KC o-line is a legit unit that can adjust and if they have to practice for pocket passing as opposed to the normal, they'll probably figure it out quickly.

As opposed to bank, I would take Mahomes in the pocket v Burrow 10 days a week especially if they prepare for that

This seems to be happening. Its hard to picture Mahomes being healthy enough to do the things he’s accustomed to.
He's probably the best pocket passer in the league, almost seems like no one remembers that because of the crazy plays. Can bet since he likely won't be all that mobile this entire week the practices will be completely dedicated to pass blocking and I *think* this group will adapt to that pretty well. Emphasis on keeping PM from having to move much will mean RB blitz practice and likely less available than normal for screen passes. Kelce is an amazing TE in that he can block and still get open, not sure how they defend that but if so I'll take Pat throwing deep to speedy receivers (think Hardiman will be back) from the pocket any day

Reid said Mahomes' current injury is similar to what he had back in 2019 when he suffered an ankle sprain in the season-opener at Jacksonville. Mahomes would aggravate that injury a couple of weeks later in a loss to Indianapolis. “I think this one isn't quite as bad as that one,” Reid said.

That has to be music to the ears of Chiefs fans, especially considering that a week after that 2019 injury, he torched the Raiders to the tune of 30-for-44 passing, 443 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Reid said Mahomes' current injury is similar to what he had back in 2019 when he suffered an ankle sprain in the season-opener at Jacksonville. Mahomes would aggravate that injury a couple of weeks later in a loss to Indianapolis. “I think this one isn't quite as bad as that one,” Reid said.

That has to be music to the ears of Chiefs fans, especially considering that a week after that 2019 injury, he torched the Raiders to the tune of 30-for-44 passing, 443 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions.
Everyone is on Cincy because of his injury. Tough to go against KC in KC IMO.

I’m on Cincy because Cincy is the better team. The injury is just icing on the cake
Are there odds out yet on who wins the Super bowl? I.E the AFC or the NFC?! Regardless of which teams go? I seem to remember these betting odds in the past

Back