AFC Championship: Bengals vs. Chiefs Discussion Thread

Buffalo's game plan was so against his skill set it was kinda boring. He looked like a cold child out there with no direction, just a terrible job by the coaches

I don’t think last weeks game was a indictment of allen at all, Cincy won every faze of that game, it wasn’t like the Dallas/niners game where if Dak coulda just made a few plays and not gave up the turnovers the outcome woulda probably been different. Nothing allen did was gonna change that game.

I don’t think last weeks game was a indictment of allen at all, Cincy won every faze of that game, it wasn’t like the Dallas/niners game where if Dak coulda just made a few plays and not gave up the turnovers the outcome woulda probably been different. Nothing allen did was gonna change that game.
I said it during the game

Allen looked stoned. Zeron emotion. He coulda probably run for a buck fifty with hic center of gravity on that shit. Bills didn't let him.

I said it during the game

Allen looked stoned. Zeron emotion. He coulda probably run for a buck fifty with hic center of gravity on that shit. Bills didn't let him.

I dunno bout that, I don’t think cincy d woulda let him. Usually he runs whenever he feels like it so hard to say “bills wouldn’t let him”, I doubt they told him not to run if he saw openings, I don’t think he had many, cincy was living in the backfield, he was having to shed tacklers virtually every time he dropped back it seemed. That game was absolutely decided at los on both sides. They prob shoulda called more qb runs, or runs in general but that always a problem w bills, they don’t hardly ever lean on the run. On the other hand cincy almost always attempts to run and sticks w it even when it not producing a ton on a ypc basis. It’s one the things I like bout cincy, they rarely abandon the run.

I dunno bout that, I don’t think cincy d woulda let him. Usually he runs whenever he feels like it so hard to say “bills wouldn’t let him”, I doubt they told him not to run if he saw openings, I don’t think he had many, cincy was living in the backfield, he was having to shed tacklers virtually every time he dropped back it seemed. That game was absolutely decided at los on both sides.
You might be right but nothing about him was urgent. He looked like someone I'd never seen out of him before. Going with stoned.

I dunno bout that, I don’t think cincy d woulda let him. Usually he runs whenever he feels like it so hard to say “bills wouldn’t let him”, I doubt they told him not to run if he saw openings, I don’t think he had many, cincy was living in the backfield, he was having to shed tacklers virtually every time he dropped back it seemed. That game was absolutely decided at los on both sides.
There was good video on NFL LIVE (espn) showing how Bengals D line bracketed in Allen and would not rush past the qb

There was good video on NFL LIVE (espn) showing how Bengals D line bracketed in Allen and would not rush past the qb
I don't watch a ton of Bills games but when I have Allen seemed like he was ready to go to war

Sunday even pregame...he looked like defeat. Was weird...had zero urgency in the game which he does virtually every possession since he's played

Might have gotten roofied Sat night

There been times bengals run game has looked ugly this year but they almost always stick with it; im of the belief attempts can be just as important as how many yards you running for. On the other hand bills are quick to abandon it or never try in 1st place. 11 carries by bills running backs in that game, and virtually no qb designed runs i can recall. Def fewer than 15 designed runs total, that not a good recipe for success.

I don't watch a ton of Bills games but when I have Allen seemed like he was ready to go to war

Sunday even pregame...he looked like defeat. Was weird...had zero urgency in the game which he does virtually every possession since he's played

It was odd I agree. No passion. Almost resigned to defeat. Almost similar to Brady vs DallASS

Reactions: KJ
At home and all the emotion, he looked like a deer in headlights

Very bizarre

Maybe they were just emotionally drained with all the Hamlin stuff? I dunno. I obviously liked cincy but I certainly didn’t expect them to get whipped like that.

It was odd I agree. No passion. Almost resigned to defeat. Almost similar to Brady vs DallASS
Saw some reference somewhere to a quote from McDermott or one of the coaches that reportedly said that practices had not gone well and team was spent

Saw some reference somewhere to a quote from McDermott or one of the coaches that reportedly said that practices had not gone well and team was spent
Yeah. I guess I wouldn’t blame them. They’ve been through a lot. I guess I was just expecting it to motivate them as opposed to the opposite.

I think this is the week the Chiefs finally miss T Hill. They needed both guys to take down Buff in the playoffs last season and they just don’t have that #1b this season. Toney, JuJu are both immature and neither one will be able to fill that role in a big game.

There been times bengals run game has looked ugly this year but they almost always stick with it; im of the belief attempts can be just as important as how many yards you running for. On the other hand bills are quick to abandon it or never try in 1st place. 11 carries by bills running backs in that game, and virtually no qb designed runs i can recall. Def fewer than 15 designed runs total, that not a good recipe for success.
lets give zach taylor some credit.........everyone, especially the analytic gurus has blasted this guy for running the ball too much and not letting burrow throw it every play for 2 years

this guy was supposed to be fired last year.......i remember michael lombardi saying "i can't bet the bengals - do you really want to put your hard earned money on zach taylor " ?

Do we know that it's high ankle?

That looks like a few days later and a tape job for a normal ankle sprain

Do we know that it's high ankle?

That looks like a few days later and a tape job for a normal ankle sprain
I've had both and agree hes moving like a regular sprain not high

Having said that, torodol is a hell of a drug

I've had both and agree hes moving like a regular sprain not high

Having said that, torodol is a hell of a drug
I do the ankle stretch daily at 47....at least 23 times on the right ankle, higher was a different animal. Was 42 or 43.

I'm confident saying he isn't running like taat with a true high ankle sprain. Those end up with the mere movement getting groceries need attention

He’s moving ok in that video. But it’s temperature controlled, he might have been shot up with something, and he’s making no quick movements or cutting which is where the problems will Oct. I think only thing we can take from this video is that he will likely be playing and he doesn’t need crutches.

I do the ankle stretch daily at 47....at least 23 times on the right ankle, higher was a different animal. Was 42 or 43.

I'm confident saying he isn't running like taat with a true high ankle sprain. Those end up with the mere movement getting groceries need attention
If he’s taped and shot up it’s not out of the realm of possibility. I think there’s very little we can take from this.

his ankle didn’t look all that bad today, wasn’t even in a boot or nothing. Hopefully line swings back to kc sone more.

I rather he healthy but I also want little plus money on cincy. Anyone heard updates on bengals lineman?

If he’s taped and shot up it’s not out of the realm of possibility. I think there’s very little we can take from this.
What we can take from this is he still has 3 full days and a half of treatment & healing to improve from what we’re seeing.
Andy Reid will adjust accordingly to make this work.

What we can take from this is he still has 3 full days and a half of treatment & healing to improve from what we’re seeing.
Andy Reid will adjust accordingly to make this work.
Yeah. I didn’t really need a video to know he’d be able to jog slowly in one main direction without doing any cutting. And that he would have 3 more days to heal. I’m sure they’ll make it work. Just not sure how well. But if they pull it off and win with him hobbled, hats off to them for real!

@Capaholic on page 1 of the thread:

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said, via Bridget Condon of NFL Media.
- Buffalo Bills' Roger Saffold

@Capaholic on page 1 of the thread:

“Guys were exhausted during the week and our coaches did the best they could try to modify the week . . . but there was just uncharacteristic things that were kind of happening . . . I have to kind of put that into effect and not as an excuse just this team has been fighting for so long and fighting through all of this adversity you almost run out of gas at some point,” Saffold said, via Bridget Condon of NFL Media.
- Buffalo Bills' Roger Saffold
Diggs was all over Allen during the game which was a sign of this team breaking down.
Still the most bizarre thing I felt was them leaving Cincinnati as fast as they did.

Last edited:
Reid said Mahomes' current injury is similar to what he had back in 2019 when he suffered an ankle sprain in the season-opener at Jacksonville. Mahomes would aggravate that injury a couple of weeks later in a loss to Indianapolis. “I think this one isn't quite as bad as that one,” Reid said.

That has to be music to the ears of Chiefs fans, especially considering that a week after that 2019 injury, he torched the Raiders to the tune of 30-for-44 passing, 443 yards, four touchdowns and zero interceptions.
Well think it’s safe to say he doesn't have high ankle sprain. Which is better for him and KC

lets give zach taylor some credit.........everyone, especially the analytic gurus has blasted this guy for running the ball too much and not letting burrow throw it every play for 2 years

this guy was supposed to be fired last year.......i remember michael lombardi saying "i can't bet the bengals - do you really want to put your hard earned money on zach taylor " ?

For sure, I dunno what he does that so terrible he gets blasted the way he does by lot of guys opinions I respect. I’m old enough to believe running the ball is important even if it not sexy, I think sticking w it even when it not working is a really tough thing to do, it be a lot easier to let burrow throw it 50x and nobody would crush him for that. Especially if your oline is suspect you not doing them any favors if a defense knows you won’t run and can tee off like bengals did on Allen, they clearly had no concerns about bills run game. Throwing the ball a lot easier when teams are forced to respect the run and Cincy has pretty much always kept that balance whether the run working or not. The way they line up and let burrow get them into the right play pre snap makes the offense really tough to stop. He should get some kinda credit for that.

Can't imagine him missing any snaps. Tbh.

There no way I’m making any bet hoping mahomes won’t play every snap, they practically had to drag him to the locker room before halftime last week. The fact he walking around and actually was on practice field I think you gotta assume he gonna be close enough to himself. At this point I wouldn’t make any bet based off hoping he hurt, I liked bengals before the injury but I damn sure didn’t like where line was going moving them to favs. For me the injury just screwed up the chance to get a fg or +140ish on cincy which about what I expected before the injury. I don’t think it gonna be as big a issue as the value it cost cincy backers. I sure didn’t expect he be practicing by mid week.

That not saying a under 275 passing yards for Mahomes necessarily a bad bet. I think he only averaging bout 250 a game against Cincy d (only had 223 in 1st meeting this year). I don’t really think this a game either qb lights it up for 300+. Defenses and run games will have a lot to say, controlling the ball gonna go a long way to winning, ultimately one these qbs gonna put it on their shoulders and win it late but I’d think 250-260 pass yards and a couple tds pretty reasonable expectation.

Could this be a week Andy Reid dust off his screen game? I couldn’t believe how few/if any screens I saw out of kc last week, maybe that was because jags decided not covering kelce in middle the field was a good strategy? Ya gotta think no matter what happens this game bengals d won’t let kelce own the middle the field, if they dedicating guys to taking that away getting McKinnon to the edge w a few lineman out in front could work well. I saw some film of how cincy defended kc in these prior games and they often had one of their d ends dropping off into coverage as part a bracket and to take the initial look to kelce away, that should set up well for screens to potentially work.

Could this be a week Andy Reid dust off his screen game? I couldn’t believe how few/if any screens I saw out of kc last week, maybe that was because jags decided not covering kelce in middle the field was a good strategy? Ya gotta think no matter what happens this game bengals d won’t let kelce own the middle the field, if they dedicating guys to taking that away getting McKinnon to the edge w a few lineman out in front could work well. I saw some film of how cincy defended kc in these prior games and they often had one of their d ends dropping off into coverage as part a bracket and to take the initial look to kelce away, that should set up well for screens to potentially work.
Was so frustrating, McKinnon props looked like gold before the game...then zilch

Guessing Cinci plays up and tries to limit Kelce and the short passes hoping that PM won't beat them deep much...pretty risky plan of attack if so.

Was so frustrating, McKinnon props looked like gold before the game...then zilch

Guessing Cinci plays up and tries to limit Kelce and the short passes hoping that PM won't beat them deep much...pretty risky plan of attack if so.

I absolutely think they gonna be up on the short stuff and all over kelce. I think I want them to attack that way, nobody on kc has really emerged as a deep threat, feel like most their big plays have come from mahomes extending plays which you gotta at least make him prove he can do. The best thing about bengals d is they won’t be afraid to switch things up regardless what the initial plan is, I think their dc is better at In game adjustments than anyone right now.

Far as no McKinnon last week yoi telling me, I lost a bunch on his props. He was open so many times, including the play mahomes got his ankle rolled he coulda flipped it out to McKinnon long before that happened, it was almost like they were intentionally ignoring him, I guess they saw something in film study? Dunno what since other backs had a lot of success previously against jags? Maybe the fact jags let kelce roam freely 5-6 yards every stinking play! Lol

Neither cappa or Williams have practiced, Taylor said they making progress. It sure be nice to see at least one of them get out there. Lol. I’m def more worried about kc dline than I was bills, kc 5th in the league in sack rate and think 2nd in pressure rate. Kc gonna have to get pressure cause I don’t think their secondary can hold up against bengals weapons.

Sounding like kc might have Hardman back, that be big for them I think. He far more a dangerous weapon than mvs.

Neither cappa or Williams have practiced, Taylor said they making progress. It sure be nice to see at least one of them get out there. Lol. I’m def more worried about kc dline than I was bills, kc 5th in the league in sack rate and think 2nd in pressure rate. Kc gonna have to get pressure cause I don’t think their secondary can hold up against bengals weapons.

Sounding like kc might have Hardman back, that be big for them I think. He far more a dangerous weapon than mvs.
Wasn't Hardiman basically a gametime scratch on Saturday?

Pretty sure he plays

Pacheco over 47.5 +100

Also played over 3.5 FG. NFC game also.

I thought it was odd how many his carries they gave to McKinnon this past week even tho he was way way more effective. I assume that mostly them trying to keep teams honest wken mckinnon on the field, don’t want that to be a tell that it pass. Sure seems like a waste to me giving McKinnon 11 carries for 25 yards while Pacheco went for 95 on just 1 more carry. I never woulda guessed they wouldn’t throw 1 ball to mckinnon but hand it to him as many times as Pacheco. Hopefully CEH remains out so they don’t waste a handful of plays with him. The way Pacheco running I’d be trying to get him 15-20 touches!

Wasn't Hardiman basically a gametime scratch on Saturday?

Pretty sure he plays

Not sure, I don’t think he ever made the practice field last week, he was out there today, dunno how much he did but obviously a good sign he out there at all.

Back