AFC Championship: Bengals vs. Chiefs Discussion Thread

Not sure, I don’t think he ever made the practice field last week, he was out there today, dunno how much he did but obviously a good sign he out there at all.
Hardman didn’t practice last week at all. Near zero chance he plays this week imo.

Hey, Cincy is the reigning conference champs.

You have to beat the champs, they can talk the talk for now.
Yeah. I know they have the right, I just don’t think it’s the greatest idea. Why give teams more bulletin board material. I get that they’ve owned them lately, it just makes me start questioning my Bengals bet. Then again, anything can get me to question any bet usually so there’s that.

Btw, I’ve always wanted to ask but for whatever reason feel like I should know even though I have no clue. What does B.A.R stand for?
Back in my early 20s (early 2000s) myself and a few buddies used to really harass touts. One of them was Big Al Reno and his son Big Al Junior. I actually was just talking about this earlier. Anyways, in Jan 2003 I made up 3 different names at Covers for us to post under. They were all tout names or variations. So, the name was Big Al Reno. When we came here, I turned that into an abbreviation since I have no actual affiliation with them. Ironically, I was a pretty decent bar fly from 23-33 so that fit as well.

Yeah. I know they have the right, I just don’t think it’s the greatest idea. Why give teams more bulletin board material. I get that they’ve owned them lately, it just makes me start questioning my Bengals bet. Then again, anything can get me to question any bet usually so there’s that.
Oh, I get it.

That plays with fire. They had their own motivation last week via the tickets sold to Atlanta. Is what it is.

Back in my early 20s (early 2000s) myself and a few buddies used to really harass touts. One of them was Big Al Reno and his son Big Al Junior. I actually was just talking about this earlier. Anyways, in Jan 2003 I made up 3 different names at Covers for us to post under. They were all tout names or variations. So, the name was Big Al Reno. When we came here, I turned that into an abbreviation since I have no actual affiliation with them. Ironically, I was a pretty decent bar fly from 23-33 so that fit as well.
Oh yeah. I remember him. When I first started here I remember wondering if he was actually you.

Oh yeah. I remember him. When I first started here I remember wondering if he was actually you.
Yeah, hence why I wanted to abbreviate it.

Another one was Tony Salinas, the Texas high roller! I used to get rotation books with his ad in it all the time.

Ah, the good ol’ tout days. I remember one of those guys calling my house around dinner time (this was early 90’s, before cell phones. I was probably around 18 years old) telling my dad I owed him money for him giving me picks. Of course it was all bullshit. He and my dad got into a yelling match when the guy threatened him. I wish I remember which one it was.

And there was (and is? Expert Sports Picks and Analysis from Al McMordie - Big Al ) also Big Al McMordie. I worked at the same firm with him for exactly one day (7/7/90) when we were summer associates. I don't recall how I connected him to the tout when I started betting 6 years later since he was operating under a fake last name. (First name actually is Alec.) He went to law school at U of M and apparently is still licensed to practice in Texas.

I won the CFB capping contest run by the Las Vegas Sporting News in 1997 and tried to parlay that into a career as a tout. 1998 wasn't as good, though, and I went back to law. One of my clients was the brother of a famous Buckeye/Bronco, which was kind of fun.

The guys who won the NFL contest in 1997 were an astonishing 51-15-2, and that record was absolutely legit.

Hardman didn’t practice last week at all. Near zero chance he plays this week imo.

Really? I read he was practicing this week, I dunno to what extent but the fact he out there seems to me gives him at least some chance. I dunno how big a difference he is but he def more scary than mvs. Tony was only other guy I recall getting multiple targets besides kelce last week, I think we can all agree there little to no chance cincy let’s kelce control the game so having another weapon they trust probably be a big deal. All I’ve read is he limited in practices and feels better than the previous weeks, I feel like he has some kinda chance to play, how likely it is I have no clue.

As someone backing the Bengals, I’m really not liking all the Burrowhead talk. That’s the sorta bulletin board material a team will rally around.

I mean, I don’t love it, it probably being blown out of proportion tho. End of the day can ya really say anything that makes either one these teams play better? If it was some meaningless game in week 8 sure, you can always use some extra motivation. When you playing to go to the SB that all the motivation needed, anything extra they talk bout is just talk imo. After it over if kc wins of course they will bring it up, if cincy wins they will still claim they felt disrespected in one way or another.

Should you give the other team bulletin board material? Probably not. Does it really effect how hard they practice, play, or how focused they are in this game? Probably not, they all can take anything and use it to motivate themselves. Long as cincy backs it up they can jaw as much they want, I could argue running their mouths helps them motivate themselves. Nobody wants to get that thrown back in their faces! Talk the talk; walk the walk.

I won the CFB capping contest run by the Las Vegas Sporting News in 1997 and tried to parlay that into a career as a tout. 1998 wasn't as good, though, and I went back to law. One of my clients was the brother of a famous Buckeye/Bronco, which was kind of fun.

The guys who won the NFL contest in 1997 were an astonishing 51-15-2, and that record was absolutely legit.
Randy Gradishar

When did the happen?

T avis Kelce (back) is questionable for Sunday's AFC Championship against the Bengals.
He practiced in full all week but was added to the injury report and the questionable line on Friday in a somewhat ominous sign. He also did not talk to the media in a scheduled Friday availability per James Palmer because he was undergoing treatment. This is an interesting last-minute wrench for the Chiefs, but we'd lean on expecting Kelce to play despite the status until we hear more detailed reports.

Cincy will win if: Chiefs don’t get pressure, Andy abandons the run.

KC will win if: they get pressure, Andy full on commits to the run.

Pressure to me is hurries, knockdowns and at least 2 or 3 sacks.

KC sat back in a weak zone last meeting and let Cincy tear it apart. Spags catches strays from lots of people, but this 2nd half of the season D is eerily similar to the 2019 2nd half. And if they send pressure regularly and hit the QB enough, I see this being a Chiefs 7-10 point win/will Andy take his foot of the gas and make it interesting type finish.

No pressure? Cincy drops minimum 30.

I see long deliberate drives by both teams. If only even a couple of those end in FG or punt, under is very much in play.

Burrowhead should be rocking.

As a fan, I don’t know how you can confidently play any of these guys in props. Don’t force it. Just been there enough where you play Pacheco and it’s McKinnon. You play Toney and it’s Hardman.

Does anyone remember when you used to have to call the hotline to get scores of all the games?? We had that thing on speed dial.

Yes. Does anyone remember which station started with the "ticker?"

I remember...and it was not a sports station. I'm curious if anyone else will remember. This was 1996 or 1997. At the time, SWOMO St. (that is SW Missouri St, now just Missouri St.) was absolutely killing it beating the spread in college hoops, and Auburn was the team just murking teams by like 30+ every game.

Welcome to the last few years about Mahomes lol

Maybe. It was warranted. Nobody wants to talk about Joe Burrow not even having as good of a season as Jared Goff though. Let’s just anoint him tho because he’s super cool and smokes cigars. He has a limited resume and no resume when compared to Mahomes. Win tomorrow and win a Super Bowl, then you get that treatment.

Maybe. It was warranted. Nobody wants to talk about Joe Burrow not even having as good of a season as Jared Goff though. Let’s just anoint him tho because he’s super cool and smokes cigars. He has a limited resume and no resume when compared to Mahomes. Win tomorrow and win a Super Bowl, then you get that treatment.
Not arguing how good Mahomes is. Just media dick sucking. All started with Lebron imo.

The Bears front office accepts your thanks

I just heard somebody on radio the other day mention neither mahomes or kelce was 100%, had no idea he was dealing w something?

Yeah if this is true then the oddsmakers just think that Jones and Clark will eat this oline apart. Maybe they will. Buffalo’s dline was atrocious without Miller.

Nothing better than slurring into that and having to repeat yourself several times.

The adjectives were hilarious too...

CBB

"Southern Illinois is VAPORIZING Bradley 76-52"
Wow core memory. Vaporizing! I can hear the inflection on the voice and everything. You knew you were covering if you were Vaporizing hahah

I remember...and it was not a sports station. I'm curious if anyone else will remember. This was 1996 or 1997. At the time, SWOMO St. (that is SW Missouri St, now just Missouri St.) was absolutely killing it beating the spread in college hoops, and Auburn was the team just murking teams by like 30+ every game.
There was a yr when Clev St covered like every spread too I seem to remember

The answer was Headline News, by the way. Was a CNN station at the time, and they were the first to put a “ticker” along the bottom of the screen. You’d have to watch their news as the sports scores scrolled along the bottom.

Guy is a bum, you didn’t know?

Short term memory with me…

Number 1 pick in the draft, Heisman, National Championship and Super Bowl attended at the QB position.

We should temper the accolades. Totally agree.

Fwiw, Goff had one of the more underrated seasons you'll see for a QB.

I didn't realize till afterwards how good it was.

Burrow is the QB of the defending AFC champions. He owns Kansas City, so far in his career.

No one gets "slurped" on more than Mahomes, and deservedly so. He's amazing.

Fwiw, Goff had one of the more underrated seasons you'll see for a QB.

I didn't realize till afterwards how good it was.

Burrow is the QB of the defending AFC champions. He owns Kansas City, so far in his career.

No one gets "slurped" on more than Mahomes, and deservedly so. He's amazing.
And Mahomes should. I’ll leave it like this and we can get back to capping the game and Capping The Game.

Mahomes is the guy. No doubt. All I ever said was I think it’s not a slam dunk every team starts with him as their choice. To be fair, I’d say it’s slanted Mahomes way.

Burrow gets alotta love, but for good reason. As far as perception, he smokes cigars yea, goes on “edgier” platforms I would say. He’s from the Midwest, playing for his home state, brought his buddy Chase from college with him….it’s an easy like.

Pasting from my 'ol thread...

Bengals...I think

Mentioned above I jumped on them +2.5 and teaser as I thought it could move plus unknown on Mahomes. It is safe to say Mahomes is not 100% but his 80% is still a top 5 QB so its just a distraction.

Getting into where I'm at with this is I started looking at strength of schedule. Chiefs bottom 5, Bengals top 5. I do factor this in when trying to weight the data I'm looking at. It is very easy to look at data in aggregate and say this team is great in the pass, this team is bad at stopping the run, etc. The Chiefs schedule v. defenses is ranked 21st meaning they got to face softer defenses. Bengals, 3rd hardest. Again, not to say the Chiefs have a bad offense but I do consider this when understanding the data. Chiefs ranked 1st v. 21st schedule, Bengals ranked 4th v. 3rd hardest. Defensively Bengals are 11th in dvoa, Chiefs 17th (14th weighted). Bengals 5th hardest schedule, Chiefs 30th. What is the takeaway for me here? The Bengals have simply played more consistent, tougher competition than the Chiefs so naturally components of their metrics will appear lower. DVOA and other advanced analytics is meant to account for this but there is something to be said in it all.

Burrow v. injured Mahomes - wash
Head Coach - Chiefs
Run game - edge to Bengals. Mixon & Perine are a better duo

Bengals OL. They got away with it v. Bills because the Bills suck at getting to the QB with the front 4. The Chiefs are top 5 in ASR and this does worry me a bit. That said, Burrow has a high rating v. the blitz and pressure in general.... I do think this is going to be the largest factor that is really hard to cap against. Who knows how this OL will hold up but it is why I would play the Chiefs and I'm still thinking on it.

Beyond sack rate... The Bengals have surrendered the lowest QBR in NFL and the Chiefs are 24th. What I'd need to really dig into is what I mention above, in aggregate data is misleading. What QBs did the Bengals face? Tua and Lamar...and of course the game v. Mahomes. Flip side, the Chiefs did play better QBs but it is not night and day beyond Herbert. Some comparable QBs like Allen, Brady mixed in.

I don't like looking at past games or performances and say "Bengals won 3 so advantage". Alot changes always. These are two good head coaches. What I am very curious to see is without Tyreek Hill, in a game of this magnitude...how do the Chiefs perform? He is easily a top 3 WR in the NFL and while the Chiefs offense is still top 3 because of Mahomes... at some point not having that type of talent matters. How woudl the Bengals be without Chase? Clearly a drop off and even if you fill in with the likes of Toney, JuJu, etc.... still not a top 3 WR. Just something I keep thinking about.

Overall, who is going to win this game? Truly a coin flip to me and I may buy off the 6u opener a bit to land on 3u and let the teasers ride. Props I'm considering is alt lines for Higgins, Kelce, and Burrow rush yards.

Back