Hulu's CFL 2019

Quick funny story...

My girlfriend is American and the first time I took her to a CFL game, literally the first play from scrimmage she stands up and screams "illegal motion!!!" She wasn't used to all the motion in the CFL but the fact that she knew the words illegal motion and knew what it meant made me almost propose to her on the spot.

Cats at -4 to -5.5 out there right now. At some point theres value on the Riders but I'm not sure where. 6 maybe.

Total is up to 49 and I see 1H u24.5 -115. Still really feeling the 1H under. I'll wait til I'm at the field to make a final decision.

Jesus Christ. 50 yards in penalties against the cats on the opening drive alone. Officials all but gave Sask the TD

1H under comes in. Now just need Hamilton to take over this game. Sask it running down their throats and the cats depleted defensive line is struggling to stop it.

Recapping my remaining bets for week 1. They're buried a page back.

1* MON / EDM u52 -110 - my total = 49.5
1* OTT / CGY u52.5 -110 - my total = 49
1* Calgary -6.5 -107 - Horse team good
1* Winnipeg +3 -115

Market movement makes it look as if I'm on the correct side of all these but after going 3-0 yesterday, I'm sure the gambling gods will be back shortly to teach me a lesson in humility.

Strong lean to Montreal +10 tonight but I can't bet them until I know them better. Also feel like the over in BC as I feel like both these teams can score. I made it 53 and its dropped from 52.5 to 51 so I think theres some value there. Will wait it out and make a decision on Saturday.

Think reilly fits in seamlessly and I like the receiving group a lot to put up points

Defense has potential, but at lb losing big sol is a huge loss, they will struggle early this season imo

Winnipeg should be able to move the ball as well

Recapping my remaining bets for week 1. They're buried a page back.

1* MON / EDM u52 -110 - my total = 49.5
1* OTT / CGY u52.5 -110 - my total = 49
1* Calgary -6.5 -107 - Horse team good
1* Winnipeg +3 -115

Market movement makes it look as if I'm on the correct side of all these but after going 3-0 yesterday, I'm sure the gambling gods will be back shortly to teach me a lesson in humility.

Strong lean to Montreal +10 tonight but I can't bet them until I know them better. Also feel like the over in BC as I feel like both these teams can score. I made it 53 and its dropped from 52.5 to 51 so I think theres some value there. Will wait it out and make a decision on Saturday.

I really cannot see Edmonton and Montreal being high scoring..

Our former QB Harris is in Edmonton- He lacks foot speed and explosive HIP Rotations when throwing. He almost always is a QB that can throw inside the hashes and quick passes to running backs. Personally I feel Harris is garbage. I think Ottawa's system with Elizonda and the quick RPO passing game hid the fact that HARRIS is a below average athlete with slow feet.

The +10 looks TASTY TO ME, as well as the UNDER.. Harris has thrown 12 passes during pre season-- I have to look at the rosters but I believe EDMONTON is basically 70% new starters on both sides of the ball..

Let me take a look at the rosters as I believe I may have to wager on this game-- Likely an under for sure- Possibly MTL plus points--

But I can almost guarantee that this should not be a high scoring affair.

Think reilly fits in seamlessly and I like the receiving group a lot to put up points

Defense has potential, but at lb losing big sol is a huge loss, they will struggle early this season imo

Winnipeg should be able to move the ball as well

Usually a high scoring affair between these 2 teams-- However with D CLAYBROOKS the LIons defense wont be swiss cheese like under MARC WASHINGTON-

Also Reilly adjusting to new team coaches receivers schemes..

Usually a high scoring affair between these 2 teams-- However with D CLAYBROOKS the LIons defense wont be swiss cheese like under MARC WASHINGTON-

Also Reilly adjusting to new team coaches receivers schemes..

I like them to improve def sammy

But big sol was a leader, losing him and BIg HILL in back to back years is bad management

I think it takes them a few games to adjust to an actual scheme as well

Not saying it wouldnt shock me, but I think they struggle early, and the BOMBERS may make BC all BLUE

My total is 54 so I'm on the o51

Just noticed the bombers must be getting hit hard, your 3 is a great line hulu

I'm seeing 1s everywhere now

Yeah I'm even seeing pk in some places.

Montreal down to +8.5 so the value there is gone.

Calgary now at 8/8.5 so I'm glad I got down on the other side of 7.

Still seeing a ton of value on the over in lotus land. Unders have been money in the first few weeks of the season for years now but its been reported on widely this year so I think people are just hammering every under they can in week 1. It does concern me that Chris Matthews is out though.

Also, great discussion guys. This point-counterpoint from some independent thinkers really helps clarify our thinking. The 1H under winner last night is proof of that.

Thinking outside the confines of LIMITATION and SOCIETY and RULES ensures a LIFE OF EXCELLENCE

"When everyone is thinking the same, NO ONE IS THINKING"

Alright its SUPER SYNDICATE SATURDAY.

Ottawa at Calgary

Winnipeg at BC

What's the scoop early on?

First half unders seem to be a good play early on, as most teams are a little slow out of the gate. Sloppy play, turnovers, etc.....

Teams that run the ball a lot and throw short passes are good to drain clock a lot.

Winnipeg getting a lot of love-- Have to think that DEVONE CLAYBROOKS will have the Lions ready to play tonight-- Winnipeg doesn't have Chris Mathews or Neufeld.

I always notice a lot of love for the Winnipeg team every season- They seem to be a hype team IMO.

I think the Lions could actually defeat them-- Not sure the winnipegers have enough offensive receiving threats--

Mike REILLY big offeaseaon signing highest paid player in the league-- He has to show up early on with a WIN--

I think this is a statement game for BC-- Winnipeg to me could be in MAIL IN MODE for this game-- ITs just another game for Winnipeg but for BC this is a huge huge game because of the new COACH and QB-

Trevor Harris threw for 447 yards last night but the ALs managed almost no pass rush whatsoever. I think he'll look more ordinary against a team that can get after him.

Until the Alouettes can find a way to get pressure with their front four, all those other defensive signings won't make a difference. They do seem to have signs of an offense however, especially is Vernon Adams starts now that Pipkin has an ankle problem. They have a bye week to figure it all out. Their offensive line is much much improved over the unit that gave up 66 sacks LY. I don't know if we can count on the ALs pathetic offense to generate unders anymore.

Alright its SUPER SYNDICATE SATURDAY.

Winnipeg getting a lot of love-- Have to think that DEVONE CLAYBROOKS will have the Lions ready to play tonight-- Winnipeg doesn't have Chris Mathews or Neufeld.

I always notice a lot of love for the Winnipeg team every season- They seem to be a hype team IMO.

I think the Lions could actually defeat them-- Not sure the winnipegers have enough offensive receiving threats--

Mike REILLY big offeaseaon signing highest paid player in the league-- He has to show up early on with a WIN--

I think this is a statement game for BC-- Winnipeg to me could be in MAIL IN MODE for this game-- ITs just another game for Winnipeg but for BC this is a huge huge game because of the new COACH and QB-

Good points all Sammy. Here's my counterpoint...

Winnipeg has been a trendy Grey cup pick this season and with good reason. In a year with many teams completely retooling, they come in as the most stable and consistent roster in the league. They lost a couple of offensive linemen but they have been building a stable of those for years so I really feel like the new guys will perform well. They also lost Loeffler and Fogg in the secondary but I think Jeff Hecht is a capable replacement at safety and Winston Rose was a full time starter at corner for BC LY so I feel like he will do fine at the boundry corner spot.

They added a few of really nice pieces as well. Chris Matthews gives them some size and speed to complement Darvin Adams and Drew Wolitarsky. It will be damn hard to cover all three. They signed one of the top edge rushers in the league in Willie Jefferson. Along with Jackson Jeffcoat, Drake Nevis and huge newcomer Shane Richardson, there isn't a better dwfwnsive line in the league. Oh yeah and Bighill at MLB too. I like that they've worked Chandler Fenner into the secondary too as I think hes a tremendous athlete. Anthony Gaitor will play the SAM. This will all take pressure off the rebuilt secondary.

Matt Nichols came to camp down 15lbs this year and has said he plans to be more mobile and move the pocket more. He has had a reputation as purely a pocket QB so I think this will improve his game if he manages this. Additionally, I think O'Shea knows what he has on his hands with Chris Streveler and will use him in more special packages this year. We saw that last season and a lot of it worked very well. Lets not forget the league's leading rusher in Andrew Harris. The bumblers were the highest scoring team last season and I don't see any reason for that to change.

BC will be a great team but with this number of changes, its going to take some time. I think Reilly will be able to move the football but their O-line is average at best and moving Hunter Steward to center may prove to be a mistake as he had several bad snaps last week in the final preseason game. You always give something up when you sign the most expensive player in the league and in this case the Leos had to drop Elimimian. Jordan Herdman-Reed will get the start but thats a massive downgrade. Their defensive line is still quality with Willis and Coleman. The secondary is a work in progress.

BC also has a major issue at place kicker. After losing Ty Long to the NFL, they signed 4 rookies for camp and none of them looked any good. In an emergency they signed former Hamilton kicker Sergio Castillo out of retirement (and off a major knee injury 2 years ago) but he missed 2 extra points last week and didn't inspire confidence. This could hamper this team until they get it figured out.

Winnipeg at +3 now looks like a gift from the gambling gods and they are favoured now. But I think the play is over 50.5 for 2 teams that can score and score a lot. I don't like overs in the first few weeks but I have to go with my gut here...

1* WPG / BC over 50.5 -108

Oh and one more thing... In interviews this week, O'Shea has repeatedly said that he has stressed the importance of getting off to a good start this year. In a year where 3 teams in the west could conceivable go 13-5 (but not all of them will), every game will count and he knows it. I don't think Winnipeg treats this as a throw away game at all.

Great stuff guys

Didnt know that about nichols

That was his biggest issue imo last few years, cant be a statue in this league back in the pocket, if he can move around a little bit it opens so much for them

Him being mobile will also help harris a ton with some packages, not that he needs it, and harris always crushes the lions ever since he left

Great stuff guys

Didnt know that about nichols

That was his biggest issue imo last few years, cant be a statue in this league back in the pocket, if he can move around a little bit it opens so much for them

Him being mobile will also help harris a ton with some packages, not that he needs it, and harris always crushes the lions ever since he left

Whether he pulls it off or not I don't know but he's definitely talked about it in camp and its something I'll be watching for.

No idea who is looking at these 2 teams and betting under. Maybe its just people auto-hitting under since its been so lucrative historically in the first few weeks.

Best thread on the net during the summer...

Leggo points at 10 eastern

Should change thread title to CFL Syndicate 2019. Its not my thread anymore...it belongs to the universe syndicate.

You know who is missing here? That dude Spottie was here the latter half of last season and made some really positive contributions. Guy knows his stuff. We need him back...Sammy I know you have an investigative wing of the capping syndicate, or at least a capping hound dog...go locate Spottie for us and have him report for duty!

Last edited:
BC starting 10 nationals tonight. I don't know if I've ever seen that before, especially with 2 in the secondary and 3 in the back 8. I don't think I've ever seen this as a successful roster construction. I suspect BC will be juggling its roster a lot over the first few games. This will def be a team to watch in the back half of the season and we may find some value lines if they start slow and take a while to get it together.

Holy mackeral, how did I miss this?!?!?

Duron Carter has released a rap album under the name DCnoname. We have to find it. Will be the syndicate soundtrack this year.

Results after Week 1

Sides 3-2-1 +0.305*
Totals 2-2 -0.70*
2H bets 1-0 +0.50*
Live 1-0 +0.50*

Overall 7-4-1 +0.605*

Mixed week. Should've gone harder in Hamilton and probably shouldn't have gotten so involved in the Ottawa-Calgary game. Both teams have made so many changes and both were surprising in different ways.

On to next week.

OK so after week one I usually have to adjust my thinking on several teams and this year is no exception. Here's what I learned from week 1. Please chime in with more.

SSK@HAM
Sask is in some serious trouble after losing Collaros. I don't have an update but he is in concussion protocol and with his history it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he were done. I hate to say it but he needs to start thinking about life after football at this point. After him, Cody Fajardo can't throw downfield. Isaac Harker has looked poised so far but is a raw rookie out of West Connecticut State and will make his share of gaffes. And they just signed Bryan Bennet who has shown some potential but was 3rd string in Winnipeg until being cut from camp and doesn't know the Riders system. The only saving grace is having William Powell and the green riders will be pounding the rock even more with him now to take pressure off whatever inexperienced QB they go with. Sask's defence is still solid but they will tire quickly if the offense can't generate regular sustained drives. They look destined for last in the west division.

Hamilton didn't inspire a lot of confidence either. Their newly rebuilt D line didn't get a lot of pressure and gave up significant rushing yardage. You hard it here first: Delvin Breaux is not the same shutdown corner as he was before his NFL stint. We always assume guys will come back better from the league but in some cases, by the time the NFL is done with them, they are used up. Wouldn't surprise me if this is his final year and he may not be starting by the end. Jeremiah Masoli keeps tricking us into thinking he's an elite QB only to then have outings like this. The guy plays consistently better away from home, his 4th quarter stats are as bad as any rookie and he wilts in any kind of even slightly inclement weather. If Masoli doesn't take the next step this year, the cats would be better off to dump him rather than sign him to a big contract. The cats have a national RB and used the ratio freedom to install an American centre over Mike Filer who was more than adequate. What they should be doing is replacing receiver Mike Jones with an American. Jones is fast but in 3 seasons now has shown he lacks upper body strength and his pass catching ability is hit and miss. Simoni Lawrence will almost certainly be suspended for his hit on Collaros...just remains to be seen for how long. He is the only veteran presence on their LB corps. Beating a team led by Cody Fajardo/Isaac Harker by 6 does not inspire much confidence.

MON@EDM
The Als have a QB controversy after Vernon Adams replaced an injured Pipkin and almost led them to a victory in Edmonton. Problem is we've seen Adams and we know what he is. Pipkin has more long-term upside so if healthy he needs to play. The fans won't like it and with the ALs being ownerless and on the verge of bankruptcy, they will have a tough time making the right call there. The good news is that they at least have the makings of an offense and their line is vastly improved over last year. The days of counting on Monreal for easy unders are gone I'm afraid. Trevor Harris threw for over 400 yards but it was largely because Montreal had no pass rush whatsoever. They are stacked at LB and DB but it you can't get pressure with your front four, none of that matters. DC Bob Slowik better find a solution and fast.

Harris looked good but let's see what he does against a team with a pass rush. Edmonton's offensive line is not a world-beater so I suspect against a d-line like Winnipeg's he will be running for his life. And if Harris gets hurt, they have precious little backing him up. Edmonton's defence was not as vaunted as they looked coming into the year and Montreal's fledgling offense picked them apart rather easily at times which was surprising. Edmonton will struggle to make the playoffs this year. I still think they are a 9-9 team.

OTT@CAL
Wow did I get this game wrong. Total misread on the handicap.
I was critical of Rick Campbell for naming Dominique Davis starter after 20 minutes of preseason play and really thought Davis would struggle. He did and he didn't. At times he picked apart the depleted Calgary defense with ease but also threw 4 picks including 2 deep in his own end, one going for a TD. In the end he made the throws he had to make to win and thats what matters. Ottawa also quickly realized that Calgary couldn't stop the run and they just pounded Moses Madu over and over again to great effect. Calgary definitely got out-coached in this game and you don't say that a lot about Dave Dikenson. This is a big win for Ottawa but they will be overvalued as a result because...........

Calgary has some major issues! I guess its to be expected when you turn over half your starting roster but we've become so accustomed to how this organization consistently finds and nutures talent to replace guys that I expected too much. This is a major overhaul. First off, the right side of their offensive line with Sceviour and Kasitati was exploitable all night. BLM is mobile but he will be on the run a lot. Their defensive line is a mess. They only dressed 6 defensive linemen and then lost 2 in game leaving them with 4 winded guys. They will have a hard time filling all the holes there. Cory Greenwood is a huge step down from Alex Singleton at MLB. The stamps better hope Singleton doesn't stick with the eagles and can return for the latter half of the season. Calgary will steadily improve as the season wears on and make no mistake, Jon Hufnagel will find quality bodies to fill the gaps but it will take time. But right now, this could be the worst Calgary team we've seen since the Feterik/Fateri years. At least the owner won't force the coach to play his son at QB this time around. :)

WPG @ BC
Winnipeg is the best team in the league right now, no question. Nichols' knee is fully healthy this year and he moved the pocket deftly to avoid the rush several times. The offensive line looks solid despite losing to veterans in the off season and having another sit due to injury. Former Dallas Cowboy Lucky Whitehead may be the fastest player in the league. Andrew Harris still looks to be in his prime. The defensive line got decent pressure on Reilly all night. Bighill is a MLB that moves like a safety and is always near the ball it seems. Jeff Hecht had 2 picks and made everyone forget about the loss of Taylor Loeffler (who was overrated IMO). I love Jeff Hecht...he's not the biggest or the best but no one plays with more heart. Watching him calling out Duron Carter for being chicken after giving up on a crossing pattern was hilarious. And Justin Medlock is still the best place kicker in the league. When Chris Matthews is back, this offence will be unstoppable. If there was a negative to be found it had to be Chandler Fenner who really struggled in the secondary to my surprise. I think he would be better at SAM and move Gaitor into the back 5. All in all, this team is what I thought they'd be and I'm glad I have a future on them. They play Calgary 3 times this season but twice at home so I really think this team finishes first in the west.

BC is still a work in progress as we thought. Reilly brings immediate leadership to the team and seems to have chemistry with Burnham and Carter. Burnham surprisingly dropped 2 catchable balls last night which is odd for a guy who is way below the league average drop rate..The Leo's offensive line is a bit suspect but Reilly is an ironman who can move the pocket easily which will negate that blot. But like with most teams who overpay for a QB in the salary cap era, they will struggle to build a complete team around him (see also Lions, Detroit). Hunter Steward cleaned up his shotgun snaps last night but caused at least one illegal procedure (possibly two) by muffing the snap count so they still have an issue there. Defensively the Lions are also a work in progress and lack some talent at key positions. I am seeing a lot of western style shootouts this season. Can this team beat out Calgary for second in the west? Quite possibly but its a matter of which team finds ways to plug their holes the fastest.

Oh and CFL officiating is still horrible. It is what it is. The league can't hire full time officials so we will always live with this amateur level bullshit. All you can hope for is that the bad calls roughly even out over a long enough time frame. At least the command centre didn't totally fuck up and reviews...yet.

Week 2 is always my favourite week in any football league. There's always profit to be made from overreactions to week 1. Sadly we have 3 teams on a bye this week so only 3 games to cap/bet but I have 2 spots that I really like. One side and one total. I am pissed that I didn't profit more from week 1 but thats gambling.

LY the books released CFL lines pretty consistently on Tuesday mornings so I always knew when to take my viagra and lube up for the openers. This season they caught me off guard and opened their legs lines on Monday. So I'll be waiting, dick in hand, first thing tomorrow morning. Of course, they'll probably leave me with blue balls until Tuesday morning. Stay tuned.

Also regarding Hamilton...their playcalling was awful. Just atrocious. You receive the ball deep in your own end with maybe 15 secs left in the half. You kneel it out twice and go to the lockerroom. But no, first they throw a 6 yard crossing pattern, a play that has no upside and carries the risk of a turnover. Then they pitch it to the running back on the final play. Again, no upside to that play whatsoever, only risk. It didn't hurt them Thursday but make no mistake, stupid bullshit like that will cost them a game at some point this season if they don't smarten up.

Week 2 is always my favourite week in any football league. There's always profit to be made from overreactions to week 1. Sadly we have 3 teams on a bye this week so only 3 games to cap/bet but I have 2 spots that I really like. One side and one total. I am pissed that I didn't profit more from week 1 but thats gambling.

LY the books released CFL lines pretty consistently on Tuesday mornings so I always knew when to take my viagra and lube up for the openers. This season they caught me off guard and opened their legs lines on Monday. So I'll be waiting, dick in hand, first thing tomorrow morning. Of course, they'll probably leave me with blue balls until Tuesday morning. Stay tuned.
Sounds good.... definitely a good betting week for peeps like you that are out in front of these teams...

Lots of changes to many teams-- The best teams have limited changes--

Winnipeg looks like they have the most continuity. Add in the super fast WHITEHEAD and CHARLES NELSON and they are a real threat--

Bc unimpressive-- Reilly looks old and slow now-- Cant win with Duron Carter and Just BRIAN BURNHAM_ Both receivers are not short pattern receivers--

I don't see how BC changes from their long pass patterns and getting their QBS injured-- Look like same BC team-- NO short passes- No run game-- No imaganation--

Wasn't impressed with CLAYBROOKS face on the sidelines-- Looks like he was lost last night--

BC overpaid for REILLY and sadly they have holes all over the place-- They basically only have 1 quality CFL Starting calibre receiver in BRIAN BURNHAM-- Duron is Duron too inconsistent-- Shaq Johnson and Durant and Cottoy are not going to get it done--

Plus it seems that BC fans don't care about their team at all--

Ottawa defence looks solid and I believe DAVIS is big and strong and can do well- He did well in college- He was a stud---

Ottawa IMO is underrated---

CGY of course is garbage now because of losing about 8-9 all star players-- They cannot retool every single season--

BO GOT PAID and now its about paying BO and not winning titles--

I agree with HULU-- Winnipeg is the best team-- Least changes-- Best running back--

Back