Hulu's CFL 2019

Different coaches have different philosophies on how to handle the preseason. We don't know what Orlondo Steinauer's will be but from his comments, he had planned to start Masoli and play him for a few series or perhaps the first quarter but on Thursday Masoli's wife went into labour which changed things a bit. Now I am pretty sure Masoli will get to stay home with his new baby while the backups travel to Ottawa. Its not like the team doesn't know who their day 1 starter will be. Pretty sure Dane Evans will get the start here He got one start last year in a meaningless season finale lose to the Alouettes. Also left at home will be some of the Cats biggest weapons like Banks and Tasker. A host of defensive players also didn't make the trip.
In Ottawa, circumstances are different. After losing Trevor Harris in free agency, the team has 2 legitimate options to start in Jon Jennings and Dom Davis and they need to figure out who their number 1 will be and quick. With only 2 preseason games, both these guys need as much playing time as possible. Consider these quotes from HC Rick Campbell...

"We're going to be a bit selfish here and play our offensive starters more than normal. We have a lot of position battles, starting with the QB that need to be sorted out before week 1"

Asked about resting players to keep the healthy for the regular season, Campbell added... "The best way to stay healthy is to play. Play fast and play hard. If you let up or you're trying to protect yourself, bad things happen. We just need to cut it loose, play good football and stay healthy."

So we have an Ottawa team motivated to play starters longer than normal and a Hamilton team leaving their name players home. This sounds like a receipe for an Ottawa win. A -1.5 in Ottawa suggests that the cats are a better team and in a normal situation that would be true but here I don't think that's the case.

I am irritated at losing this bet. The lineups shook out pretty much as expected but Davis and Jennings both looked inept. And that was against a cats defence without half its projected starters. If they don't get better production from their offense, its going to be a long year in the capital.

On the other side, both Hamilton's backup QBs looked like starting material. Dane Evans moved the offense and looked poised and in command. Even rookie Hayden Moore out of Cincinnati looked like a vet and showed some good arm strength.

How does one watch CFL in the states? I also know nothing about the league aside that the Montreal club was good for awhile (I think).

I tailed one of you guys on a RedBlacks game last year and it got me out of some trouble.

Major differences between NFL and CFL?

How does one watch CFL in the states? I also know nothing about the league aside that the Montreal club was good for awhile (I think).

I tailed one of you guys on a RedBlacks game last year and it got me out of some trouble.

Oh...T.

The CFL is the crack cocaine for the football junkie who is about to die waiting for the fall.

About 90 legit differences, but the league is a fun league with a pretty cult following.

It is awesome and this man Hulu is straight filthy in how well he knows this league.

ESPN and the CFL just signed a new broadcast agreement. 20 games + playoffs will be shown on ESPN this season and all other games will be available on ESPN+ which I think is a streaming service for $5/month. Otherwise, you can usually find illegal streams out there on the interwebz.

As scarf said...its a very different brand of football. If you can watch this play and your head doesn't explode...you're ready for the CFL

Hold your nose special...thoughts later when I’m not on a god damned phone.

0.5* Montreal ML +115

eta 0.5* not 0.3. Fat fingers. Phone.

Last edited:
Brief thoughts...

Same old preseason story...one team playing most of their starters and one team leaving a lot of guys home. Ottawa surprised me when they named Dom Davis as their starting QB after 20 minutes of work in the first preseason game. Now they’re surprising me again by sitting him in the second. I mean this is your starting qb and he has about 400 combined passing yards on his career resume. Don’t you think you should give the guy some reps?

Montreal OTOH still has an open qb competition on the go and although Pipkin looks to be the front runner, Vernon Adams and Jeff Mathews have legitimate shots and will play like their careers depend on it...because they do.

Unreal. I take the moneyline instead of +2 and end up with a push. Montreal could have and should have won that game. They pissed it away with turnovers in the 4th quarter. But thats my fault for betting the preseason...when the game is close, your money is in the hands of scrubs and camp meat.

Results after Preseason
Sides 1-1-1 -0.3*

Overall 1-1-1 -0.3*

Unreal. I take the moneyline instead of +2 and end up with a push. Montreal could have and should have won that game. They pissed it away with turnovers in the 4th quarter. But thats my fault for betting the preseason...when the game is close, your money is in the hands of scrubs and camp meat.

Results after Preseason
Sides 1-1-1 -0.3*

Overall 1-1-1 -0.3*
Tailed you but took the 1.5

Kill it this season!

0.4*/0.1* BC Lions +7/ML -110/+275

Wasn’t going to bet this game but the number is just wrong. Very good chance BC wins this game IMO

BC Showed some serious heart tonight! Great call on the ML too.
#NothingRhymesWithOrange

I need to get a full time TSN subscription down here

Bit of a luckbox win but we got 'er. That Kraemer kid was impressive taking his first snaps at the end. Showed a lot of poise standing in a collapsing pocket to throw that deep ball.

Results after Preseason
Sides 2-1-1 +0.375*

Overall 2-1-1 +0.375*

Montreal fires Mike Sherman 6 days before the start of the season. I was kind of surprised they even brought him back for the season considering how lost he looked last year at times.

I'd call this organization a dumpster fire but we need a stronger expression than that. Dumpster fire doesn't quite capture it.

I just saw that my site posted some Canadian bacon lines, and I was gonna send out a page for you.

That was a quick year, bro. Appreciate your posts and insight, good luck this season my man...

:dabs:

I just saw that my site posted some Canadian bacon lines, and I was gonna send out a page for you.

That was a quick year, bro. Appreciate your posts and insight, good luck this season my man...

:dabs:

They caught me by surprise. Wasn't expecting anything to come out until tomorrow morning.

1* Winnipeg +3 -115

Not as sanguine about this play as I was with the news that G Neufeld and WR Matthews not practicing today. Especially Matthews. He is supposed to be the most explosive piece of the Bombers offence.

Probably won’t buy off but may not add some ML as I had planned. Stay tuned.

I was prepared to put a unit on the Hamilton ML at -135 but it zoomed to -150 before I could yesterday.

I like the cats in that game but I think it has a high probability of being a low-scoring, close game and I don’t trust them to get over the spread.

Official statement from the CFL on the command centre and it’s function. This pleases me. Let’s hope this is the way it works out because at times it seems as if those boobs get paid by the review.

CFL said:
With the 2019 CFL regular season about to kick off, we want to be as clear as possible on the role of the Command Centre, the standard on which it will conduct video reviews and the philosophy behind that standard. The Command Centre will focus on only overturning calls or non-calls made on the field where a clear and obvious mistake has been made. In other words, we do not want the game officiated from the Command Centre. The officials on the field have the best sense of the game and usually have a superior vantage point compared to a camera on the sidelines or in the stands.

The Command Centre is just a “back up” to correct clear and obvious mistakes – what are sometimes called egregious errors. Anyone who has played the game, or cheered for a team, knows how one views any play can be somewhat subjective. So how do we, as objectively as possible, define clear and obvious? Clear refers to the visibility of the issue in question. Can you see, for example, the ball clearly on the replay? Or the foot on the sideline? Is the camera angle straight down the line? Or is it off to the side? Obvious refers to an indisputable reference point, such as a yard line, a sideline, or a knee down. Can you easily see, for example, that the contact on a receiver was early? Or do you have to resort to looking at it in slow motion?

Simply put, you shouldn’t have to watch something several times, or watch at different speeds, if it is clear and obvious. Why is clear and obvious our standard? Why not strive to get every single call right, even if the error was less than clear and obvious? We want to keep the length of Command Centre reviews reasonable. We do not want video review to slow the pace or flow of the game. We especially do not want it to adversely affect our fans’ enjoyment of the game.

Watching players stand around while the Command Centre looks at a play for a long time is simply not fun. We also want to reduce the total number of challenges by making sure our coaches know they should not use a challenge to simply seek a second opinion; they should only use it to challenge clear and obvious mistakes.

Like every player and every official in every game, no standard is perfect. But we believe this approach is in the best interests of our great game.

Random thoughts from a football-addled brain...

SSK @ HAM
I really liked the under in this one before lines came out. I had it pegged at 48.5 and fully expected to have it open at 51-52 but the bookies got me and it was 49.5 when I first saw it. Still think this has the potential to go under and the cool, rainy, breezy conditions help that. One thing I've noticed about Masoli is he struggles in weather. Maybe living in Hawaii in the offseason makes him soft that way, I don't know. Anyway, its at 48/48.5 now so I'm still waffling. I may wait until closer to kickoff to make a move here. As to the side, I was pretty big on Hamilton but now see they are missing a couple pieces on the defensive line which is supposed to be the strength of their defense this season. Behind that there is a suspect group of linebackers who have yet to prove themselves as a group. Saskatchewan will be run-heavy this year and may have an easy time tiring out this line which lacks some depth with Tracey and Westermann on IR. No play on the side.

MTL @ EDM
Am I crazy to think the ALs have value here? I made the line 8.5 and its gone to 10 now which I think is a tad high. Trevor Harris and this Esks receiving corps is brand new and he only threw about 12 attempts in preseason. He will have chemistry with Ellingson of course, but who else? Add to that their number 1 receiver signing, Devaris Daniels is out as is their LG Travis Bond and I suspect this offense may have a more difficult time than expected against a reasonably stout ALs defence. On the other side of the ball they aere missing starters WLB Jovan Santos-Knox and DE Alex Bazzie. In fact they have 8 peeps on the IR to start the year.

Its hard to back Montreal right now with their ownership situation and them having a coaching change a mere 6 days before the season but reading between the lines I feel like this is one of those situations where the change will energize the team. By all accounts, this was a players mutiny as they felt Sherman just didn't have a handle on the game. OC Khari Jones took over and although he doesn;t have a lot on his coaching resume, he is well liked by the players and was a pretty good QB in this league for many years. A cerebral QB who you knew was destined to coach some day. But is 6 days enough to really affect any change? No way. So any bump the ALs get from this will be purely motivational. The ALs have a bye next week so if things go bad early, they could throw away this game to regroup for the bye. If this line goes higher, it will be hard to ignore.

One further point about Montreal... Their new DC, Bob Slowik is a Sherman hire, has no CFL experience and hasn't coached anywhere in 6 years. They brought him along slowly, hiring him as a consultant late last year to learn the game but still, this has to be a huge downgrade from Rich Stubler. We all saw how badly it turned out last year when the Argos hired a DC with tons of football experience south of the border but no CFL experience. On paper this defense is very good but the coaching is suspect.

Also...if John Bowman coming out of retirement is your best chance at a pass rush, I'm not sure you have a pass rush. I'd like to see them prove me wrong before I start backing them.

HULU I have not watched any preseason CFL or done any research yet.. So this precludes me (LIMITATION) from wagering and winning $$$ on the Cfl .

Or can I take a different mindset and realize the hidden powers that we all possess?

"Claircognizance is the ability for a person to acquire psychic knowledge without knowing how or why he or she knew it. The user can gain information about a person, object, place, or event through intrinsic knowledge, as in it just "comes to" the user's mind."

HULU I have not watched any preseason CFL or done any research yet.. So this precludes me (LIMITATION) from wagering and winning $$$ on the Cfl .

Or can I take a different mindset and realize the hidden powers that we all possess?

"Claircognizance is the ability for a person to acquire psychic knowledge without knowing how or why he or she knew it. The user can gain information about a person, object, place, or event through intrinsic knowledge, as in it just "comes to" the user's mind."

Sammy, this is a year of unprecedented free agent movement. Multiple teams are changing more than half of their starters. Star QBs moving all over the place. I've been cramming for the past few weeks but its hard to forsee how it will all play out. There will be surprises. I think the prudent move is to watch the games and learn what we can for the first couple of weeks.

Which explains why I have 4 bets down in week 1. lol

Sammy, this is a year of unprecedented free agent movement. Multiple teams are changing more than half of their starters. Star QBs moving all over the place. I've been cramming for the past few weeks but its hard to forsee how it will all play out. There will be surprises. I think the prudent move is to watch the games and learn what we can for the first couple of weeks.

Which explains why I have 4 bets down in week 1. lol

My physcic abilities are telling me to just relax and watch a few games and perhaps jump in for 2nd half bets like we used to do last year- We can always easily hit the 2nd half totals CORRECTLY in a lot of games--

Would the free agent movement result in UNDERS? Also factor in the lack of a CBA agreement and all the FIRED COACHES-- Sherman Chris JOnes bolting-- BC has a new coach also-Hamilton and SASK--

I know some games are going to be low scoring for sure-- Perhaps some low scoring first halves?

We just have to find the winners! Sask Hamilton do you see an under 24 first half?

Not many great offensive players on both teams-- Hamilton has Banks Tasker, Mike Jones sometimes-- Sask has the pass rush with HUGHES and MICAH JOHNSON- and MARSHALL AND GAINEY to stop them.
Also Hamilton has their defense INTACT-- Great secondary which should stop SASK who only has ROSEVELT- All new receivers-- Don't see them lighting it up either--

I see this match as both offenses being retooled, and both defenses being fairly stout early on--

Is it hard to not see a LOW scoring first half? Both teams should be rusty and the defenses seem to have the better playmakers--

My physcic abilities are telling me to just relax and watch a few games and perhaps jump in for 2nd half bets like we used to do last year- We can always easily hit the 2nd half totals CORRECTLY in a lot of games--

Would the free agent movement result in UNDERS? Also factor in the lack of a CBA agreement and all the FIRED COACHES-- Sherman Chris JOnes bolting-- BC has a new coach also-Hamilton and SASK--

I know some games are going to be low scoring for sure-- Perhaps some low scoring first halves?

We just have to find the winners! Sask Hamilton do you see an under 24 first half?

Not many great offensive players on both teams-- Hamilton has Banks Tasker, Mike Jones sometimes-- Sask has the pass rush with HUGHES and MICAH JOHNSON- and MARSHALL AND GAINEY to stop them.
Also Hamilton has their defense INTACT-- Great secondary which should stop SASK who only has ROSEVELT- All new receivers-- Don't see them lighting it up either--

I see this match as both offenses being retooled, and both defenses being fairly stout early on--

Is it hard to not see a LOW scoring first half? Both teams should be rusty and the defenses seem to have the better playmakers--

I hear you and the under is definitely the way I lean, be it 1H or full game. But here's the counterpoint... Sask signed Elimimian to play MLB but he is on the DL so Cam Judge will get the start. I don't think Judge is an every day MLB. Sask did add Micah Johnson on the line but lost Willie Jefferson which is a wash to me. And the biggest thing about losing Chris Jones is that he always brought swagger to the defence. I don't know that former special team coordinator and super-laid-back-guy Craig Dikenson brings that.

On the cats side they are without 2 solid DEs in Tracy and Westermann and their LB corps was torn up in the offseason, losing Larry Dean and Don Unamba. They signed Jesse Tuggle to play the middle and Rico Murray to play the SAM but those are both significant downgrades IMO. The secondary is still very good though. So both sides have defensive losses to contend with.

OTOH, the Riders do look to be a very run-first team this year with William Powell so they will eat a lot of clock. Weather will help the under too if it continues like it is now.

The under looks solid whatever way you play it...its just such a low number.

WEST COAST WISE GUYS-- Is our new Syndicate Group for 2019 Season

HULU and all SYNDICATE SOLDIERS make sure you have a nice PRE DRINK CELEBRATION before KICKOFF--

We do not Fear Limits, We destroy all Limits

We do not Fear Losing, as Losing promotes growth

We win with Humility and We reject Pride

#Cfl 2019 #It's Time # Racoon attack # Chicks are back # Safety deposit box # Winners

Sask has beaten Hamilton 5 times in a row-- ALBEIT with Chris Jones as the Coach..

They even did it in Hamilton starting Brandon Bridge. The Riders have been Hamilton's kryptonite for a couple decades now. But cats are trending up and Riders are trending down IMO so that streak is coming to an end sooner or later.

They even did it in Hamilton starting Brandon Bridge. The Riders have been Hamilton's kryptonite for a couple decades now. But cats are trending up and Riders are trending down IMO so that streak is coming to an end sooner or later.

Initially when I thought about this game I thought that Hamilton would beat them and cover. However I didn't look at the injuries which are KEY IMO.

I thought with STEINHAEUR and CONDELL at least you have the guys who have coached the offense and defense recently. The cats were one team who signed their own guys instead of going the EDMONTON ROUTE and signing all new free agents--

Add in the loss of CHRIS JONES to SASK and replacing him with a life long special teams coordinator, and JASON SHIVERS is the new defensive coordinator after being the DB coach in edmonton for the past 5 years.

However the losses of DEAN and UMAMBA are big losses as they are the linebackers that are needed, althought LAWRENCE and RICO MURRAY are good..

I just think that this is HAMILTONs games to lose- their secondary is really good, and the SASK offense doesent look like it has too many receiving weapons after Wiliams lambert left to the Nfl.

Steinhaeur vs Dickinson could be a mismatch-- ALso a defensive team like SASK has lost its leader in Chris Jones, so I don't know that they can rely on their defense to keep them in the game.

I lean Hamilton to win despite the linebackers and the 2 defensive ends that are out.

Total is ticking upward it looks like. I had 2 books going 48 to 48.5. Can now get 1H u24 +100.

Need to do an in depth weather check...radar etc but this may be a bet.

Looks like a good time for Hamilton to break that streak... I just see the intagibles in Hamiltons favour-- They have more CONSISTENCY with players coaches--

Was STEINHEAUR on the TICATS coaching staff last year in 2018? If the answer is YES I feel that Hamilton wins this game

Total is ticking upward it looks like. I had 2 books going 48 to 48.5. Can now get 1H u24 +100.

Need to do an in depth weather check...radar etc but this may be a bet.

Should I fly the Command Centre DRONE to Hamilton over TimHortons field to get a look?

Weather doesn't look awful, just dull. Steady light rain and cool but little wind to speak of. These new fields drain so well a day of rain means little now.

Still 1H u24 does look enticing.

Hulu with all the player movement lets take a different approach--- MIT style--

Lets cancel out all the players on both teams---

Lets match up the Coaches and see what we find-----

Orlando vs Dickinson-- BIG EDGE to ORLANDO-- He was the assistant HEAD COACH For 2018 and has been this teams defensive coordinator-- He knows the team--
Dickinson is a career special teams coach-- He wasn't even supposed to be the coach- he became coach after JONES BOLTED-- So he was the last option.

Marc Washington vs Jason Shivers-- Washington comes from BC- Plays a lot of zone, sometimes has success, but he needs a pass rush for his zone to work..
shivers is facing replacing the best DEFENSIVE MIND in the CFL in CHRIS JONES-- I don't see a former DB being ready to take this roll on.

Tommy Condell vs Stephen Macadoo-- Condell has been the coordinator before-- Macadoo is basic and really hasn't had too much success except when he had MIKE Reilly--

TO me the edges in the HAMILTON staff are severe vs SASK---

This game IMO can be won in the game PREP and the coaching edges that HAMILTON has over SASK.

Hulu with all the player movement lets take a different approach--- MIT style--

Lets cancel out all the players on both teams---

Lets match up the Coaches and see what we find-----

Orlando vs Dickinson-- BIG EDGE to ORLANDO-- He was the assistant HEAD COACH For 2018 and has been this teams defensive coordinator-- He knows the team--
Dickinson is a career special teams coach-- He wasn't even supposed to be the coach- he became coach after JONES BOLTED-- So he was the last option.

Marc Washington vs Jason Shivers-- Washington comes from BC- Plays a lot of zone, sometimes has success, but he needs a pass rush for his zone to work..
shivers is facing replacing the best DEFENSIVE MIND in the CFL in CHRIS JONES-- I don't see a former DB being ready to take this roll on.

Tommy Condell vs Stephen Macadoo-- Condell has been the coordinator before-- Macadoo is basic and really hasn't had too much success except when he had MIKE Reilly--

TO me the edges in the HAMILTON staff are severe vs SASK---

This game IMO can be won in the game PREP and the coaching edges that HAMILTON has over SASK.

Totally agree. Market does too apparently. Cats up to -4 now.

I think I'm just going to wait and see. I'll be at the game freezing my wet balls off while everyone else is watching some basketball game. Rest assured, I'll have my phone in a ziploc bag (the original otterbox) ready for 2H action.

This surprised me...2018 scoring by half

1H 2H
SSK 27.7 21.8 -6.9
HAM 29.1 25.5 -3.6

Both had higher scoring 1st halves LY

Hamilton higher scoring1st half likely due to having JUNE JONES scripting plays early on and then failing to adjust in the second half of games.

Sask lower scoring output coud be result of Chris Jones second half defensive approach and adjustments slowing the game down and running the ball with leads etc

Totally agree. Market does too apparently. Cats up to -4 now.

I think I'm just going to wait and see. I'll be at the game freezing my wet balls off while everyone else is watching some basketball game. Rest assured, I'll have my phone in a ziploc bag (the original otterbox) ready for 2H action.

I like it, I like it a lot--

If we are debating so many points on a game and are UNSURE then the final result is not a EO- (EXPECTED OUTCOME) If we do not agree on a EO (EXPECTED OUTCOME) then we must not bet that game---

If we can agree on all points and are convinced of VICTORY the play is rated as an EO-- (EXPECTED OUTCOME) Which are plays we expect the outcome to be on our side.

Hamilton higher scoring1st half likely due to having JUNE JONES scripting plays early on and then failing to adjust in the second half of games.

Sask lower scoring output coud be result of Chris Jones second half defensive approach and adjustments slowing the game down and running the ball with leads etc

2 very good points.

Anyway, love to stay and chat but I have inlaws coming up from the US and have to clean up. Packer fans.

Back