UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2

mogo

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
UFC 83 - Serra vs. St. Pierre 2

Date: April 19
Venue: Bell Centre
Broadcast: TBA
  • Champ Matt Serra vs. Georges St. Pierre (title-unification bout)
  • Rich Franklin vs. Travis Lutter
  • Michael Bisping vs. Charles McCarthy
  • Marc Bocek vs. Mac Danzig
  • Joe Doerksen vs. Jason MacDonald
  • Rich Clementi vs. Sam Stout
  • Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes
  • Jonathan Goulet vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka

More Than 13,000 Tickets Sold in First Day of UFC 83 Pre-Sale

In less than a day, the UFC has sold more than 13,000 tickets for its April 19 event in Montreal.

UFC President Dana White released the sales figures during today’s UFC 83 press conference in Montreal, which was carried by Yahoo! Sports, a content-partner site of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). White was joined at the media event by UFC welterweight champ Matt Serra and interim champ Georges St. Pierre, who meet in UFC 83’s main event.

Tickets for the event, which takes place at Montreal’s Bell Centre, went on sale yesterday afternoon to members of the UFC’s fan club. Despite the club’s $74.99 annual membership fee, White said more than 13,000 tickets were sold to members during the pre-sale.

“It was 13,375 tickets — in that ballpark,” White said of the pre-sale.

“There are only a couple thousand left for sale right now.“

The Bell Centre can accommodate approximately 21,500 spectators.

Tickets don’t go on sale to the general public until Thursday.

“I don’t think anyone realizes how many Canadian fans are here,” White said. “I don’t care where we go, there’s always a ton of Canadian fans there… so we’ll keep bringing events (to Canada).“

UFC 83 will be the first-ever event in Canada for the Las Vegas-based fight organization, despite a huge MMA following in the country. The UFC announced its intentions of holding two previous events in the country, but plans for the shows were eventually scrapped due to scheduling conflicts.

Those Canadians have been screaming for a UFC event for a few years now. They finally get it and turn out in herds on the 1st day.

Well, it sold out! The UFC didnt even get a chance to allow the public to buy tix. Only the UFC Fight Club members got them due to so many Canadians being members.

I don think I am a big fan of allowing one of the fighters getting home cage advantage. Other than Rich Franklin of course :tiphat:against Silva. It didnt help though :whip:

I think Franklin gives Luter a beat down. Not just because of my like of RF, but Lutter has close to zero standup.

I think Franklin gives Luter a beat down. Not just because of my like of RF, but Lutter has close to zero standup.

I agree...problem is Lutter wont stand with him he'll be on his back right away. I think it will turn into Franklin ground and pound with Lutter eating shots attempting subs...

The Bell center is going to be rocking, it has been a long time coming.

Jonathan Goulet gets home field as well - he trains with GSP - almost every fight has a Canadian in it so the crowd will be bias in those fights...

Solid card.

The title fight will be a good match; GSP looking for revenge BIG. In his last fight vs. Hughes, he threw Matt around like a "sparing dummy" and easily had his way with him. Matt Sera has to prove he is no fluke in defending his title, he'll have his hands full, standing up or on the ground.

Last edited:
The UFC recently posted the final televised card for "UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2," an event that takes place April 19 at Montreal's Bell Centre.

It's the first-ever UFC event held in Canada and is scheduled to air via pay-per-view.

UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra meets interim champ (and French-Canadian) Georges St. Pierre in the night's headline bout. The interim title was created after Serra was forced to pull out of a UFC 79 main event with Matt Hughes due to injury; St. Pierre fought -- and defeated -- Hughes in his place.

The full card can be found at UFC.com.

Serra and St. Pierre first fought in April 2007. Serra won the welterweight division of "The Ultimate Fighter 4" and was granted an automatic title shot with then-champ St. Pierre. In one of the sport's biggest upsets, Serra scored a first-round TKO to claim the 170-lb. title.

One noteworthy omission from the televised card is a Jason MacDonald vs. Joe Doerksen fight. MacDonald is a middleweight mainstay in the UFC who fights of Edmonton, and Doerksen hails from Manitoba. The two fighters first met at an October 2005 Ultimate Cage Wars event. MacDonald won via fourth-round submission.

The full card includes:

MAIN CARD
  • Champ Matt Serra vs. Georges St. Pierre (title-unification bout)
  • Rich Franklin vs. Travis Lutter
  • Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes
  • Michael Bisping vs. Charles McCarthy
  • Marc Bocek vs. Mac Danzig
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Joe Doerksen vs. Jason MacDonald
  • Rich Clementi vs. Sam Stout
  • Alan Belcher vs. Jason Day
  • Jonathan Goulet vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka
  • Ed Herman vs. Demian Maia*
* -- Fight not confirmed by UFC

This is a strange card for betting, there are a lot of big favorites.
I locked in one play earlier today which was Kalib Starnes 268 4Units. I think this fight is much closer than the odds suggest. Quarry looked very mediocre in his last fight.

Current Lines from Bookmaker

8:30 PM4 /19 /08
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><thead><tr><td class="gNum">#</td><td class="gName">
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td><td class="gML">Money Line</td><td class="gTot">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32671</td><td class="gName">MATT SERRA</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="680262_206_4_0_400_MU" type="checkbox">+400</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32672</td><td class="gName">GEORGE ST PIERRE</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="680262_206_5_0_-500_MU" type="checkbox">-500</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

8:00 PM4 /19 /08
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><thead><tr><td class="gNum">#</td><td class="gName">
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32673</td><td class="gName">TRAVIS LUTTER</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695037_206_4_0_270_MU" type="checkbox">+270</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32674</td><td class="gName">RICH FRANKLIN</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695037_206_5_0_-330_MU" type="checkbox">-330</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

7:00 PM4 /19 /08
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32675</td><td class="gName">KALIB STARNES</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695038_206_4_0_225_MU" type="checkbox">+225</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32676</td><td class="gName">NATE QUARRY</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695038_206_5_0_-285_MU" type="checkbox">-285</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32677</td><td class="gName">CHARLES MCCARTHY</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695039_206_4_0_280_MU" type="checkbox">+280</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32678</td><td class="gName">MICHAEL BISPING</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695039_206_5_0_-350_MU" type="checkbox">-350</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32679</td><td class="gName">MARK BOCEK</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695040_206_4_0_375_MU" type="checkbox">+375</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32680</td><td class="gName">MAC DANZIG</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="695040_206_5_0_-475_MU" type="checkbox">-475</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

6:00 PM4 /19 /08
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32681</td><td class="gName">JOE DOERKSEN</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724914_206_4_0_150_MU" type="checkbox">+150</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32682</td><td class="gName">JASON MACDONALD</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724914_206_5_0_-180_MU" type="checkbox">-180</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

5:30 PM4 /19 /08
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32683</td><td class="gName">JASON DAY</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724915_206_4_0_260_MU" type="checkbox">+260</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32684</td><td class="gName">ALAN BELCHER</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724915_206_5_0_-320_MU" type="checkbox">-320</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

5:30 PM4 /19 /08
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32685</td><td class="gName">ED HERMAN</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724916_206_4_0_155_MU" type="checkbox">+155</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32686</td><td class="gName">DEMIAN MAIA</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724916_206_5_0_-195_MU" type="checkbox">-195</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

5:00 PM4 /19 /08
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32687</td><td class="gName">RICH CLEMENTI</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724919_206_4_0_145_MU" type="checkbox">+145</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32688</td><td class="gName">SAM STOUT</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724919_206_5_0_-175_MU" type="checkbox">-175</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

4:30 PM4 /19 /08
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32689</td><td class="gName">BRAD MORRIS</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724917_206_4_0_165_MU" type="checkbox">+165</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32690</td><td class="gName">CAIN VELASQUEZ</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724917_206_5_0_-205_MU" type="checkbox">-205</td><td class="gTot lineChk">

4:30 PM4 /19 /08
</td><td class="gSpr">
</td></tr></thead><tbody><tr><td class="gNum">32691</td><td class="gName">JONATHAN GOULET</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724918_206_4_0_185_MU" type="checkbox">+185</td><td class="gTot lineChk">
</td></tr><tr><td class="gNum">32692</td><td class="gName">KUNIYOSHI HIRONAKA</td><td class="gSpr lineChk">
</td><td class="gML lineChk"><input class="chkbox" name="game" value="724918_206_5_0_-225_MU" type="checkbox">-225</td></tr></tbody></table>

charles mccarthy +280 to bipsing looks like value atleast , even though i think bipsing wins.

As a fan , I just hope Ed Herman loses. I hate that guy.

I agree that bisping isnt very good, but mccarthy....i guess we can say his strong suit is his ground game.... i guess even though i still dont think its all that good. It would be interesting to see how bisping accommodates to cutting to 185. Will he tire quickly? But in all honesty I dont see how mccarthy wins this fight.

How bout jason day over alan belcher? I see +300 right now.

Rich Franklin should win by whatever the hell he wants to. Need to remember that he really only loses to anderson silva and destroys everyone else, but who doesnt lose to the spider?

I like kalib starnes at that price as well. Some say that starnes may not really have ko power but i think he does... he was able to wobble leben when they fought and that is saying something. Quarry has been koed by franklin... I give starnes the better chin because he took some solid beatings from belcher and i dont even really think he got wobbled or knocked down. Plus he lost to a nasty cut but I really think he showed a good chin in that fight. Ground game goes to starnes. Just got to watch out for his willingness to quit in fights, but i dont think quarry is very impressive. He was getting owned against pete sell until he caught him in the 3rd... and who is pete sell anyways? Guy is more worried about calling gsp a mental midget, he should probably worry about winning a fight himself and praying that his friend serra doesnt get destroyed by gsp.

I dont know much about mac (impressive win over tommy the farmboy, but tommy got ktfo at fight night 13) but is he really that good to be laying those odds or is bocek really just that bad?

I think herman loses

Kalib Starnes has a good price on him, Nate Quarry got rocked in his last fight but manage to come back.

Matt Serra 4/1 odds?....last time he was 6/1. At this price, I would take Matt just for value purposes.....I mean anything can happen in MMA.

I also like Lutter at +270, just the fact that he was the ONLY competition that gave Anderson trouble.

Anytime when the odds is over -250, you got to step back and think there is a 50/50 chance of an upset.....it aint like regular sports. It just aint worth it to lay -500 on a championship bout where anything, and I mean anything can happen.

Personally I just dont think lutter has much of a chance against franklin... I say frankling wins 8-9 out of 10 fights against him. Lutter isnt going to ko franklin and i just dont see him getting submitted either. Franklin really is top notch everywhere and all around. Lutter only has his BJJ... granted he did ko the beastman... but that was a weird fight... it was like the only punch that was thrown and caught him at the perfect shot. I just dont think there is a 50/50 chance of an upset in this fight. I usually like value with punchers cuz of ko's and lutter just doesnt impress me with his stand up. Franklin can wrestle well... but of course would rather strike.

To me here, its the matchup and I believe franklin matches up well with lutter because he really is no slouch on the ground. Against silva lutter matches up better because he always is looking for a takedown kind of like when hendo dominated silva in the first round.... however, silva is absolutely ridiculous and is so versatile. I wouldnt call it luck that he just somehow got lutter into a triangle and submitted him. Somehow someway, he always finds a way to win in a dominating fashion. So be careful with taking lutter just on the fact that he has given anderson some competition... I just dont think he matches up well with franklin.

Serra I understand at +400 because he has heavy hands, but still I can't bring myself to put money on him because he just isnt very good at all, but I definitely wont be laying -500 with gsp. Im just going to sit back and enjoy gsp dominating serra... and hopefully after serra loses, matt hughes can fight him too and dominated him as well.

Matt Serra vs. Georges St. Pierre.
The main event of the card is a rematch of last year's amazing upset. Serra shocked the world last April when he picked apart the heavily favored GSP to win the welterweight title. A stint as coach on the Ultimate Fighter, combined with an injury has kept the New Yorker out of action since then. Meanwhile, St. Pierre has rebounded nicely, dismantling both Josh Koscheck and Matt Hughes. This is a major fight for both competitors. A win for Serra will quiet all his critics and validate that his win over GSP was no fluke. It's hard to find any weaknesses in GSP's game, but his heart and focus have been questioned in the past. If he can exact revenge against Serra, there will be no doubt that he is the best welterweight in the world and arguably the best pound for pound fighter. I don't see Serra overcoming a fired up GSP, fighting in front of a home crowd.

Travis Lutter vs. Rich Franklin
Another one of my favorite fighters (Rich Franklin) makes his return to action in this middleweight matchup. The former champion Franklin is coming off (a second) loss to reigning champion Anderson Silva. Lutter is also coming off a loss to "The Spider," but that was more than a year ago. While both ended up on the current champion's highlight reel, don't discount their abilities. Franklin is a very well rounded fighter who's proven (outside of Silva) he is a threat to anyone in the division. Lutter is one of the best Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practicioners in the UFC. Look for Rich to employ his usually successful game plan and keep the fight standing. While Lutter has better BJJ, I don't think his wrestling or cardio are good enough to get "Ace" on the ground.

Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes
This middleweight bout features two middle-tier guys looking to move up the ladder. The Canadian Starnes is coming off a brutal TKO loss to Alan Belcher- the cut was sick. After a 2 year layoff, Quarry made a successful return last October, by knocking out Pete Sell. Starnes holds a clear advantage on the ground and should look to take the fight there as quickly as possible. Conversely, Quarry has better stand up and will probably try to force the BJJ black belt, to keep the fight upright. Honestly, I hate Starnes- lack of heart and will- that aside... If Quarry can avoid Starnes' less than stellar takedowns, he should be able to take advantage.

Charles McCarthy vs. Michael Bisping
This battle of Ultimate Fighter alums marks the debut of Bisping in the middleweight division (he had previously competed at light-heavyweight). The tough Brit takes on the man famously known as "Captain Miserable." While McCarthy is an accomplished grappler and an experienced fighter, his lack of striking should make the difference in this fight. Look for Bisping to fight with a renewed sense of urgency and pick McCarthy apart early.

Mark Bocek vs. Mac Danzig
The lightweight battle features the Canadian native Bocek, looking to spoil the post TUF debut of Danzig. Last season's reality show winner looked awesome destroying his fellow cast mates and is now competing at his more natural weight of 155. Bocek is coming off an impressive win last December and will try to impress the locals by beating the more well known Danzig. Even with the home crowd behind him, Bocek will have a difficult time dealing with Danzig's well rounded skill set.

Undercard:

Jason Macdonald beats Doerksen
Jason Day beats Alan Belcher
Damian Meia. beats Ed Herman
Rich Clementi beats Sam Stout

Will likely end up parlaying a couple of these b/c of the odds.

Performify's Picks for UFC 83

Georges St. Pierre (-500) vs. Matt Serra (+300)

This time last year, Georges St. Pierre was scheduled to defend his belt against what most felt was a joke of a contender -- someone who "earned" his title shot by narrowly winning a season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show populated mostly by "has-beens." That "has-been" was Matt "the Terror" Serra, who came in to the fight as a heavy underdog. St. Pierre vs. Serra at UFC 69 was supposed to be one of the most one-sided beatdowns in UFC history.

With the buildup for this rematch, surely everyone knows what came next in this Cinderella story. The one-sided beatdown came to fruition as predicted, except the roles were reversed. Serra landed several big punches early (including one some believe illegally landed on the back of St. Pierre's head), stunned the champion, and secured the victory by TKO at 3:25 of the very first round.

Fast forward to present day. St. Pierre is 15-2, 9-2 in the UFC, with the only other loss on his record (to Matt Hughes at UFC 50) having already been twice avenged. St. Pierre now looks to avenge his disappointing loss to Serra and finally silence those who have criticized his mental toughness.

St. Pierre has fought twice since losing to Serra: a unanimous decision victory over Josh Koscheck at UFC 74, and a second-round submission victory over Matt Hughes at UFC 79. That fight, held at the culmination of "The Ultimate Fighter 6," was supposed to be Hughes vs. Serra for the organization's welterweight title. However, Serra had to pull out of the fight due to a back injury, and St. Pierre stepped in and was awarded an interim title while Serra recovered from his injuries.

St. Pierre is widely regarded as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world. He's exceptionally well-rounded, with superb wrestling and takedowns (he was able to out-wrestle Koscheck, one of the most decorated and talented wrestlers in the UFC), dangerous ground-and-pound striking, solid submissions, and incredible athleticism and conditioning.

On the other side of the fence, Serra comes in with a 9-4 record, 6-4 in the UFC. Serra has been inactive since April 2007 when he defeated St. Pierre.

Serra is generally regarded as a skilled practitioner of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He certainly has the credentials to prove it: he holds a BJJ black belt under the legendary Renzo Gracie and has numerous wins in grappling competitions including Abu Dhabi and the Pan Am games. Curiously, Serra's BJJ skills haven't been showcased frequently during his MMA career. He holds only four of his wins by way of submission, and three of those came by way of his first three fights, in 1999, 2000, and early 2001 respectively.

Serra has fought five times in the last five years, and all of those fights went to decision with the exception of his upset victory over St. Pierre. During that stretch of decisions, he amassed wins over Jeff Curan, Ivan Menjivar, and a split-decision victory over Chris Lytle to win "The Ultimate Fighter 4." His lone loss in the streak was a unanimous decision to Karo Parisyan at UFC 53 in mid-2005.

I'm one of the people who consider the first Serra vs. St. Pierre fight as a statistical anomaly: a real-world example of a true longshot coming through. I realistically gave Serra only a small percentage chance to win the first fight, and I still sincerely believe that if their fight from UFC 69 were held 10 different times, St. Pierre would win nine out of the 10.

As such, I believe that this fight will go the same way. On paper, Serra is vastly over-matched in almost every way against St. Pierre. St. Pierre has significantly better striking, significantly better wrestling, and significantly better cardio. Serra might have an edge in offensive and defensive jiu jitsu, but his body type (short, muscular arms and legs) doesn't generally allow for a lot of leverage for offensive submissions, a reason I think we've seen only minimal use of his BJJ in his modern MMA career.

There are certainly some concerns and unknowns here on both sides. St. Pierre has gone on record talking about his struggles with his focus, and it's certainly possible a big knockout loss against an opponent can affect you mentally the next time you face them. Just look at Rich Franklin's composure during his second fight against Anderson Silva. Likewise, Serra has his own unknowns. He's coming off a major back injury, and he hasn't fought in a full year. Ring rust, conditioning, and chance for re-injury are all negative factors weighing on Serra.

The current betting line gives Serra a 25% chance of pulling the upset a second time. On the flip side, St. Pierre has to win better than 85% of the time to make him a good bet. I believe that St. Pierre in fact wins this fight at least nine out of 10, making him still a decent bet despite the significantly heavy odds.

Given that this is a five-round fight, and with the results of the last fight weighing heavily upon him, I think St. Pierre comes out of the gates a little slowly. Likewise, with Serra working off a year's worth of ring rust, I wouldn't be surprised to see the first round a tentative and cautious exchange by both parties. I look for St. Pierre to use his speed and athleticism to out-strike Serra standing in the first round, while Serra throws haymaker after haymaker trying to land the same blow he did in the last fight. After the first round, I think St. Pierre closes ground behind his superior Muay Thai, eventually taking the fight to the ground (either via his wrestling skills or by stunning his opponent with strikes) and finishes with ground and pound. St. Pierre by TKO in the second round.

Rich Franklin (-350) vs. Travis Lutter (+250)

This fight is being billed as a classic MMA conflict of styles, with Travis Lutter (9-4 MMA, 2-3 UFC) possessing solid BJJ skills and almost zero striking skills, and Rich Franklin (22-3 MMA, 9-2 UFC) being promoted as mostly a striker. For those new to MMA, that might be a reality, as few of Franklin's last fights have hit the ground or showcased much by way of jiu jitsu. However, Franklin does have nine wins by way of submission, mostly armbars and a few kimuras (shoulder locks). Franklin also possesses solid wrestling skills, which often can neutralize a lot of offensive jiu jitsu.

Franklin's three MMA losses are all to elite competition: Anderson Silva twice, and Lyoto Machida back in 2003. Lutter has losses to Jorge Rivera, Matt Lindland, Trevor Prangley, and most recently, Anderson Silva back at UFC 67. This is Lutter's first fight back since losing to Silva in early 2007.

This might be Lutter's last chance in the UFC. After winning the middleweight class of "The Ultimate Fighter 4," he was universally scorned after infamously failing to make weight for his title shot against Anderson Silva. Now, after 14 months penance, Lutter faces a formidable test in Franklin.

While this fight may not be the stylistic mismatch it's billed to be for Franklin, Lutter is nowhere near as well-rounded. Lutter's skills are almost exclusively on the ground, and I don't expect he'll have much opportunity to exercise them in this fight. Look for Franklin to come out swinging and to exploit the mismatch in striking skills between him and his opponent, using his strong wrestling skills and significant strength advantage to foil multiple takedown attempts from Lutter on route to a one-sided first round KO.

This line opened a bit closer, most of the money has come in on Franklin, and the line has moved as a result. Currently, Franklin needs to win about 80% of the time to be a good bet. I think that's about accurate, making Franklin an OK bet but not one with a very high return.

Nathan Quarry (-265) vs. Kalib Starnes (+205)

Nate Quarry is 36 years old and holds a 9-2 MMA record, 5-1 in the UFC. He has wins over Pete Sell (twice), Shonie Carter and Lodune Sincaid. His lone UFC loss was to Rich Franklin at UFC 56.

Kalib Starnes is three years younger than his opponent, with an 8-2-1 MMA record, 2-2 in the UFC. Starnes was a participant in the third season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show, losing in the semifinals to eventual series winner Kendall Grove.

Starnes is coming off a loss to Alan Belcher at UFC 77, via a stoppage due to a cut. Starnes has wins in the UFC over Chris Leben and Danny Abbadi, and a loss to top contender Yushin Okami. Starnes also has a win over Jason MacDonald prior to joining the UFC.

This fight could be one of the more competitive matches on the main card. Both fighters come from solid camps, Quarry training with Team Quest (update: Quarry recently parted ways with Quest, but still has the background of training with them), Starnes splitting his time between Florida's American Top Team and Canada's Revolution Fight Team. Both fighters are athletic and are well-rounded mixed martial artists. Starnes has a relatively significant edge in jiu jitsu but generally has weak takedowns that will be further frustrated by Quarry's edge in wrestling and strength. Quarry has the edge striking but tends to absorb a lot of punishment in exchanges. Starnes striking has shown improvement in his last couple fights, especially in defeating Leben at UFC 71 as a moderate underdog.

Starnes is being given a 33% chance to win this fight as an underdog, and I think that's a well-set line. Starnes definitely has a chance as an underdog. He's likely to win the first round on the cards as he's a strong starter, and Quarry tends to take a while to get started. I think the line tells the story here: Quarry should win this with his superior striking about two-thirds of the time, the other one-third of the time we'll see Starnes with an upset, likely a rear-naked choke.

When a line is well set, like I believe this one to be, you can bet either side and be relatively comfortable, if you have a personal preference. It's also a good time to take a chance on the underdog if the line is indeed accurate. While you'll lose more than you'll win; you're getting an adequate price and will have less money at risk.

My pick here is Starnes with the upset, a submission victory early in the second round. But as usual this is a pure underdog play against the odds; Quarry wins more often than not.

Michael Bisping (-330) vs. Charles McCarthy (+260)

Michael Bisping is very well known from winning the third season of "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show. Bisping sports a 14-1 MMA record and is 4-1 in the UFC with wins over Elvis Sinosic, Eric Schafer, Josh Haynes, and a highly controversial win over Matt Hamill at UFC 75. Bisping is coming off a split-decision loss to Rashad Evans at UFC 78.

Bisping has not looked great in his last four performances, struggling early against both Schafer and Sinosic, nearly getting beat by Hamill (many had Hamill winning the fight in a razor-thin decision, which in my opinion, could have gone either way), and finally in defeat against Evans. Bisping is now dropping down from light heavyweight to fight at middleweight, generally a smart move due to the glut of talent at 205 and the relative thinness of 185. Why only "generally" a smart move? Well, moving to 185 puts you in arm's length of Anderson Silva, and that's never a smart move.

Charles McCarthy is 10-4 in MMA, 1-1 in the UFC. McCarthy trains with American Top Team and was a contestant on the fourth season of "The Ultimate Fighter." McCarthy holds a BJJ brown belt, and he puts it to use often: all 10 of McCarthy's wins have come by way of submission.

McCarthy hasn't had a professional MMA fight since The Ultimate Fighter 4 Finale back in November 2006. That's a 17-month layoff, for those scoring at home. McCarthy has been active, teaching at his own MMA gym in Florida and training with ATT, but ring rust is still a significant worry.

This is actually an interesting and dangerous match-up for Bisping. Bisping looked like a golden god while on the reality show, but since he's struggled mightily. Bisping should have a significant edge in striking, in size, and in strength, and will almost certainly try to keep this fight standing. However, McCarthy has shown promise on the ground, and it's very possible that Bisping gets caught in a submission early if the fight hits the ground.

We have two major unknowns in this fight: Bisping's first cut to 185, and McCarthy's long layoff. Both factors are significant enough to me, when combined with a relatively well-set betting line (Bisping is predicted to win about 75% of the time), to avoid betting on this fight. However, I will call Bisping to win with a second-round TKO.

Mac Danzig (-550) vs. Mark Bocek (+350)

Mark Bocek is another Canadian on the card, fighting out of Ontario. He's only 26 years old and holds a 5-1 MMA record, 1-1 in the UFC.

Bocek was heavily hyped on his signing to the UFC, with a decorated background in grappling and a BJJ black belt. However, he was almost immediately outclassed by Frankie Edgar in his debut at UFC 73 and looked very ineffective in defeating Doug Evans at UFC 79.

Mac Danzig is the winner of the most recently concluded season of "The Ultimate Fighter," holding a 17-4-1 MMA record and is 1-0 in the UFC after defeating Tommy Speer at The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale. Danzig fought for several years in regional organizations before graduating to King of the Cage. He then made one appearance in PRIDE right before the organization was acquired by the UFC, and he lost to Japanese fan favorite Hayato Sakurai.

Danzig competed on "The Ultimate Fighter" at welterweight and is now dropping down to his natural fighting weight class to compete at lightweight.

This match-up is almost perfect for Danzig. The UFC is often criticized for handing "The Ultimate Fighter" alumni favorable match-ups that they should easily win. While far be it from me to criticize the UFC for trying to handpick opponents to groom their marketable stars, it's pretty easy to assume that's exactly what's at play here. Bocek hasn't demonstrated anything in his two UFC fights that should make him an equal competitor here. While Bocek certainly has the impressive grappling pedigree, we saw very little of it in action against Doug Evans in his last fight, and Danzig will present a much more significant threat.

I expect Danzig will come out and abuse Bocek on the feet while expertly shrugging off takedown attempts. Look for the striking mismatch and strength disadvantage to take its toll on Bocek, who will fall victim to a TKO in the third round.

Undercard:

Jason MacDonald (-165) vs. Joe Doerksen (+135)

Get ready for some hot Canadian-on-Canadian action as Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald (19-9 MMA, 3-2 UFC) takes on traveled MMA veteran Joe Doerksen (39-11 MMA, 1-4 UFC). The two previously faced off in late 2005 in Canada's "Ultimate Cage Wars" organization. There, MacDonald submitted Doerksen with a rear naked choke late in the fourth round.

Despite Doerksen's long record, he's not that old -- only 30. He's also better than his UFC record would indicate; despite losing almost all of his fights up in the "big leagues," Doerksen won seven fights across 2006 and early 2007 in organizations such as Extreme Challenge, the IFL and Japan's DEEP. Coming off this win streak, in August last year Doerksen was given a shot at the WEC's then-vacant middleweight title. Unfortunately for Doerksen, he was no match for Paulo Filho, who knocked out the Canadian in the first round. Doerksen was then called up to the UFC to face Ed Herman at UFC 78. There, Doerksen was knocked out early in the third round.

Of course, after spending the last paragraph talking up Doerksen, I'm going to go the other way. Despite having the advantage in experience and in strength, MacDonald has a reach advantage and should show a significant edge in conditioning. Both fighters are strong grapplers, but MacDonald has a slight edge standing, especially in Muay Thai work from the clinch. MacDonald trains with Greg Jackson's camp, and the edge he should have in game-planning and coaching isn't something to ignore.

With both of these fighters' solid jiu jitsu skills, I expect the ground game to be a stalemate and the fight to be won or lost on the feet. There, MacDonald has a thin but meaningful edge. MacDonald by unanimous decision.

Alan Belcher (-450) vs. Jason Day (+300)

Alan Belcher holds a 12-4 MMA record, 3-2 in the UFC. Belcher is only 23 years old and holds a blue belt in Brazilian jiu jitsu. Belcher is coming off a two-fight win streak with victories over Sean Salmon at UFC 71 and Kalib Starnes at UFC 77. Before those wins, Belcher was handed a pair of losses from Kendall Grove and Yushin Okami interspersed with a win over Jorge Santiago.

Jason Day is yet another Canadian fighter, holding a 16-5 MMA record and is making his UFC debut. Day is on a four-fight win streak with his most recent victory a split decision over one-time UFC fighter David "The Crow" Loiseau. Day's win streak goes back to a loss to the UFC's Patrick Cote in the TKO organization back in June of last year.

Belcher is being given a better-than-80% chance to win this fight. Belcher's octagon experience and well-rounded skills should prove sufficient to handle the newcomer; however, there's not enough of a betting edge to justify laying this much chalk on the heavy favorite. I predict Belcher by TKO in the second round.

Ed Herman (+140) vs. Demian Maia (-180)

Brazilian Demian Maia is a decorated grappler who has experienced an effective transition to the mixed martial arts fight game. He holds a 6-0 MMA record and is 1-0 in the UFC after submitting Ryan Jensen at UFC 77. Maia is a BJJ black belt with several impressive jiu jitsu competition wins, including three World Cup wins, a win and a second-place finish in the prestigious Abu Dhabi Combat Club, and a Pan American championship.

Ed Herman is another former "The Ultimate Fighter" competitor, who lost to Kendall Grove in the series finale but was awarded a consolation UFC contract after the close fight. Herman holds a 14-4 MMA record and is 3-2 in the UFC. He trains with Team Quest under Dan Henderson and Matt Lindland.

Herman is tough and gritty but will be significantly outclassed the minute this fight hits the ground. Maia possesses a sufficiently well-rounded MMA game, unlike many skilled grapplers who have transitioned to the UFC but haven't demonstrated other skills and have ultimately found little success.

Maia should have sufficient skills to close ground on Herman and take him down. Unless Herman can catch Maia on the feet and knock him out, Herman will find himself on his back and pretty quickly tapping out thereafter. Maia by submission in the first round.

Rich Clementi (+120) vs. Sam Stout (-160)

Sam Stout (13-3-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) is yet another Canadian on the card. He trains under Shawn Tompkins and has a strong background in kickboxing and Muay Thai. However, Stout has proven to be a relatively one-dimensional fighter in his MMA career, getting taken down almost at will by previous UFC opponents Kenny Florian and Spencer Fisher. Stout showed improvement in his last fight against Per Eklund at UFC 80. However, I don't believe it will be sufficient to get past his veteran opponent.

Rich Clementi holds an extensive 30-12-1 MMA record, 3-3 in the UFC. Clementi is on a four fight win streak, including two consecutive wins in the UFC, against Anthony Johnson at UFC 76 and Melvin Guillard at UFC 79.

While Tompkins has shown he's successfully improved Stout's takedown defense and grappling skills from his back, I'm afraid Stout's still a little too one-dimensional for someone as veteran and well-rounded as Clementi. I expect Clementi will take some early punishment but will eventually muscle Stout against the fence, down to the ground, and into a submission. Clementi by submission, early in the second round or late in the first.

Brad Morris (+200) vs. Cain Velasquez (-260)

These two rookies are ready to bring some much-needed new blood in to the UFC's thin heavyweight ranks. Cain Velasquez (2-0 MMA) was a two-time All-American wrester for Arizona State and a two-time Pac-10 champion. He's previously fought in Strikeforce and in BodogFIGHT. He trains at the American Kickboxing Academy alongside fellow standout wrestlers Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck.

His opponent, Brad Morris (9-2 MMA), fights out of Australia and holds a brown belt in Japanese jiu jitsu. Morris is not a full-time fighter; he still works at his day job as a prison officer.

Velasquez is a highly touted prospect, and Morris has his own hype out of the land down under. I've seen only one fight from each fighter, and it's sometimes dangerous to buy in to the hype about a highly touted prospect who hasn't been tested. Morris has more fight experience, but Velasquez should be use to the high-level competition thanks to his decorated wrestling background. Velasquez needs to win this fight 75% of the time to make him a good bet at the current odds, and I think that's about right. Velasquez by ground-and-pound TKO in the second. However, it's always hard betting on a fight like this with so much uncertainty, so I won't blame anyone who stays away.

Kuniyoshi Hironaka (-240) vs. Jonathan Goulet (+190)

One more fight, one more Canadian. Jonathan Goulet (21-9 MMA, 3-3 UFC) holds a BJJ blue belt and possesses well-rounded skills. Kuniyoshi Hironaka (11-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC) holds blackbelts in BJJ and in Judo and is a veteran of Japan's Shooto organization.

Hironaka was given an unfavorable welcome to the UFC, getting handed Jon Fitch as his first fight. Fitch grounded out a unanimous decision, and Hironaka was off to a tough start. He rebounded with a unanimous decision victory over Forrest Petz at UFC Fight Night 9 before dropping his next fight to Thiago Alves at UFC Fight Night 11.

Hironaka is being given a 70% chance to win this fight, and I think he wins this at least three out of four, making him an OK bet. While Goulet is well rounded and has some good striking skills, Hironaka is no slouch standing and is much more skilled on the ground. Expect to see some fireworks early, but unless the hometown crowd can propel Goulet to a first-round KO, look for Hironaka to judo-flip Goulet to the ground and submit him late in the second round.

My plays for the record:

• Georges St. Pierre (-500) - 5 units to win 1 unit
  • Kalib Starnes (+205) - .2 units to win .41 units
  • Demian Maia (-180) - 3.6 units to win 2 units
  • Rich Clementi (+120) - .5 units to win .6 units

well it looks like i will be missing another UFC Fight this weekend..... going out of town on Saturday, so i'll have to wait until Sunday to d/l and watch the fights...

i have no plays or real insight into any of the fights or the odds since i haven't really had a chance to look at it too closely.

GL on all your wagers fellas. :shake:

Going to a party at the red rock casino to watch this puppy ... might throw five bucks on each fight for entertaiment enhancement. thanks for the writeups.

As far as this match goes, my research tells me GSP has been training for an army--

I know a lot about UFC especially about GSP's training as I know Gsp's best friend.

What I have heard is that GSP could have been a professional football player or hockey player, he is far more athletic than any fighter he fights. He is full of fast twitch muscles, you can see that when he fights HUGHES he just is too athletic for him. Even fighting another great fighter like Kos He was too athletic for him.

GSP is very confident, IMO the best strategy to beat him is what SERRA did in the first round, do the unexpected and just let haymakers fly one after one. GSP was not expecting that and got caught off guard. SERRA had shitty striking, but trained with Greg JACKSON before that fight. What GSP failed to realize is that SERRA has power, becasue of his stocky body.

GSP is all business and has turned into more of a wrestler lately- he is good enough that the Canadian Mens National Wrestling team wants him to join full time.

I think you will see a super focussed GSP, he can beat SERRA like he did to SHERK with superior striking and his height advantage. I think he will take him down and end up grounding and pounding SERRA.

IMO Serra has not fought in 1 year, and off a back injury, and has only 5 fights in his last 5 years. GSP has fought 2 good fighters since his loss to SERRA.

I don't think SERRA knows what he is up to, especially since he is the champ now, I think he gets overwhelmed, and has little chance to beat GSP. HIs only chance is a knockout, which every fighter has a punchers chance

I might add a play for the GSP Serra fight but either than that GL to everyone hope you all cash. Lets Roll

Goulet vs. Hironaka

Round 1
Goulet, who got a big pop from the crowd for his Montreal Canadiens jersey, stuffs an early single-leg attempt near the fencing. The fighters trade knees to the body before Goulet executes a judo throw and lands in Hironaka's half-guard. Hironaka rises to his feet and clocks Goulet with a left hand. The round ends with Goulet sporting a mouse under his right eye. Sherdog.com gives the round to Hironaka, 10-9.

Round 2
Both fighters cautiously trade punches in the opening minute of the second frame. A left hand from Goulet rocks Hironaka. The Japanese fighter recovered and backpedaled away from Goulet, who is on the attack with strikes. A left-right combo scores for Goulet, with the right doing the most damage. Hironaka crumbles as referee Dan Miragliotta stepped in to halt the contest at 2:07 of the second.

Brad Morris vs. Cain Velasquez (Pictures)
Round 1
Velasquez drops Morris with a left hook early. Velasquez jumps into the mount position on his downed opponent and hammers away with strikes. Morris gives up his back to avoid punishment, where he eats some solid punches to the chin that are delivered beautifully under the arm. Morris scrambles and gets to his feet, where he is met with a knee and an uppercut that send him crashing back to the canvas. Velasquez blasts away at his fallen opponent until referee Steve Mazzagatti jumps in to save Morris at 2:10 of the first.

Wish I would have got that Velasquez bet in..

Rich Clementi (Pictures) vs. Sam Stout (Pictures)
Round 1
Clementi clinches with Stout against the cage and takes him down with a body lock. Clementi moves to mount and to Stout's back, but he could not hold the dominant position for long. From the top in half-guard, Clementi lands effective punches and short elbows to the head and body. Stout explodes from his back and got to his feet, but is taken back down almost immediately. Clementi works a Kimura and moves from mount to the back, before returning to the mount. 10-9 for Clementi.

Round 2
Stout finds his range with a few short punches to start the frame. Clementi missed a head kick and a spinning back fist, which caused a wild scramble for position on the ground. Stout gets back to his feet and lands some decent leather while eating a punch or two from Clementi. Stout shakes off a solid left hook from Clementi and gets a takedown. Clementi went for a guillotine but Stout has none of it as he escapes and lands a few strikes before the stanza ends. Good action in the second -- 10-9 for Stout in a very close round.

Round 3
Clementi bullies Stout to the cage and scores a single-leg takedown. Clementi goes for a guillotine but Stout works free and gets to his feet. The fighters circle the cage trading a few punches with nothing landing solid until a Stout right hand finds its target. Stout then shot in search of a single of his own, but a stalemate insues, forcing referee Yves Lavigne to separate the fighters. Clementi landed a head kick and was then knocked off balance by a Stout right hand. Sherdog.com scores the round 10-9 for Clementi. The official judges see the bout 29-27, 29-28 for Clementi and 29-28 for Stout. Rich Clementi takes the split decision.

Sounds like a close like the clementi stout fight was very close, anyway 1-0 start Maia fight is up next

Demian Maia (Pictures) vs. Ed Herman (Pictures)
Round 1
Maia scores a quick takedown but he can not hold Herman down for long. Herman defends another single-leg attempt properly but is eventually wrestled down after Maia switches to a double. Herman works to his feet and finds himself in top position after Maia pulls guard. An omaplata attempt from Maia is close but Herman pulls his arm free. Maia then goes for a leg lock that is defended perfectly by Herman. He fress his leg and takes the top position. Freddie DeFreitas scores it 10-9 Maia, while Andy Cotterill sees it 10-9 for Herman.

Round 2
Maia opens by pulling guard but Herman does not want to play his game. Herman backs away and cracks Maia with a left hand. Herman enters Maia's butterfly guard, which turns out to be a big mistake. Maia worked his legs high and slapped on a triangle choke. Herman fights to free himself, but he ends up on his back with the triangle still applied. Referee Phillip Charcicr looks closely and acts when he sees Herman lose consciousness from the choke. The official time is 2:27 of the second period.

Jason Day (Pictures) vs. Alan Belcher (Pictures)
Round 1
Belcher throws Day down against the cage and works from the top position in his opponent's guard. Day switches to a rubber guard and elbows the top of Belcher's head. Belcher stands and is cracked by a sharp standing elbow that rocks him. Belcher retreats backwards and is hit with a flurry of punches from Day that prompt referee Dan Miragliotta to show mercy at 3:58 of the opening frame. Impressive performance from Jason Day.

Joe Doerksen (Pictures) vs. Jason McDonald
Round 1
MacDonald went for a standing guillotine early and nearly had it before Doerksen was able to escape. From the top in MacDonald's half-guard, Doerksen goes for a Kimura that is as deep as could be without causing injury. MacDonald eventually escapes but is hit with several hard knees to the body from side-control. Doerksen looks for another Kimura before the round ends. 10-9 for Doerksen.

Round 2
Doerksen misses a big overhand right and is taken down by MacDonald. From the top position, MacDonald hammers away with shots that put Doerksen away at the 0:54 mark of the second round. A second after referee Steve Mazzagatti halted the fight; MacDonald landed two more hammer fists after the fight was clearly stopped.

what do u think about gsp/serra fight wilde? I almost think there is value on serra at 400... To me i honestly see a first round ko or 2nd round ko if he's tentative to begin.... After the 2nd i dont see gsp finishing... might just be a 5 round grinder, but serra has heavy hands and good bjj... i dont see gsp subbing him either

For me I dont see the value in Serra, I think GSP will via 2nd rnd tko. Overall I think GSP wins the fight roughly 90% of the time lol. Though my opinion is probably biased because GSP is my favorite

Looks like no Joe Rogan tonight

Looks like Bocek won rnd 1
Mark Bocek (Pictures) vs. Mac Danzig (Pictures)
Round 1
Danzig backs Bocek up against the cage with punches. Bocek avoided most of the shots and lands a right hand lead upon exit. Bocek drops levels for a single-leg and muscles Danzig to the canvas after he gets close enough to switch to a double. From his back, Danzig locks on an omaplata but Bocek has none of it. He pulls his left arm loose and fires a right hand that scores. Danzig goes high with his hips as he looks to slap on an armbar or pass for a triangle, but Bocek senses danger and postures up to avoid any danger. Danzig reverses Bocek and takes the top position, where he lands some leather before the round ends.

Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Bocek
TJ De Santis scores the round 10-9 Bocek
Mike Fridley scores the round 10-9 Bocek

what do u think about gsp/serra fight wilde? I almost think there is value on serra at 400... To me i honestly see a first round ko or 2nd round ko if he's tentative to begin.... After the 2nd i dont see gsp finishing... might just be a 5 round grinder, but serra has heavy hands and good bjj... i dont see gsp subbing him either

i think you'll see gsp take serra down fast and grind it out, but he will finish. serra battling a back injury and will not be able to keep up with gsp on the ground (no matter how good he is)... one mistake and gsp is the new champ :]

gl pat

Round 2
Danzig starts the round with a jab that connects. A right knee to the chin collapses Bocek to the canvas. Danzig pounces and strikes the head from half-guard. Bocek fights to get back to his feet, where he is met with a jumping right knee that smacks his mouth. Danzig finds himself back on top. He effortlessly passes to half-guard and mount before going to Bocek's back with both hooks sunk. Danzig works to flatten the Canadian out but he chooses to stand up. Bocek moves forward and lands a one-two before shooting a single. Danzig stuffs it and cracks his opponent with left hands.

Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Danzig
TJ De Santis scores the round 10-8 Danzig
Mike Fridley scores the round 10-8 Danzig

Back