UFC 162

Yes i did. He took him down easily and controlled him. Being that hes a better wrestler than Sonnen and is much better at BJJ, Silva wanted no part of being on the bottom all fight. You dot have to "do anything" to win fights when u take the guy down.

You said he could have taken him down at will all night, he got the initial take down and then did no damage. He tried to take him down again and got stuffed, then gave up trying after that. Go watch the fight again. He looked slow in the exchanges. I picked Chris to win this fight, but next time Anderson crushes him. His striking is just too slow.

Just bc he failed on one attempt doesn't mean he would completely stop trying. Silva wasn't hitting him and the fight was only 7 mins long.

When CW took AS down at will, they both did nothing on the ground. I think AS knew he could not fight CW off his back as any BJJ practioner knows, so I think he tried to bait him into striking. If he didnt clown around, I think AS would've done some damage, but who the hell knows what would've happen. AS strikes looked much faster and accurate based on the punches & kicks he DID throw.

Hypothetically:

If the fight was standing - AS wins by k.o.

On the ground - CW wins by points and/or gnp

There's no way I could see AS get submitted, but hey he got K.O. by clowing around, so anything can happen. And I dont AS would've wanted to take CW down and mess around with him there. AS strking for his age is still crisp and you cannot overlook his ability to thrw kicks from different angles and combos.

This was the first UFC ppv I've ordered in a long time given the hype around CW. But, I feel we all got cheated because you have one guy (CW) taking it seriously and giving 100%. Then you have a world class champion with his biggest test showboating and clowning aorund. "What if" he took it seriously, we'll never know!

@MMAOdds: again..ez to be upset w/ AS hindsight but that's how AS fights..he got caught speeding..if AS put CW to sleep clowning u'd call CW overratedBingo!

This was well stated. Anderson is the master of playing head games to frustrate and demoralize guys into making mistakes and crushing them with his amazing counter punch ability. We've seen Anderson do his Roy Jones "chicken fight" impression time and time and time again with spectacular results. This time though he ran into a similar sized, elite athlete, entering the peak of his ability and got caught. Age in the fight game can hit in the blink of an eye and when you fight in the style that Silva does that hundredth of a second reaction speed can be the difference between amazing counter punch KO's and getting clipped in really goofy looking spots. I can't even begin to understand people who try to discredit this win for Weidman. He came in with a solid game plan and was not intimidated by Silva's gamesmanship for one second. Clearly Silva was the faster fighter but he landed almost nothing significant in this fight, and certainly nothing that forced Weidman to back up. Hell, at one point Weidman walked in and engaged in a clinch with Silva and Silva did absolutely nothing in what most would consider his most dangerous position in a fight. I personally think Silva wasn't ready for how good Weidman's head movement and distance control was in this fight. Yes, Silva was beginning to get his timing down in the second, but at the same time Weidman was making him narrowly miss with stuff I've NEVER seen Anderson miss before. I guess the rematch will tell us if Silva's skills are truly beginning to regress because if he takes it there is zero excuse for him not to be 100% motivated.

I don't think he realized he was outclassed. After cw took him down he neutralized him on the ground, and cw did nothing the next 5 minutes. He just got caught goofing off.

Guess we watched a different first round. The only legitimate exchange in the round ended with Weidman easily taking Silva down where he proceeded to land solid GNP which, to me, clearly bothered Silva. At that point Weidman easily controlled him but, in Weidman style, aggressively attacked and had a very good knee bar followed by a decent heel hook attempt that due to Silva's excellent BJJ defense he escaped and got the fight back to the feet. At this point I thought Silva wanted ZERO part of Weidman on the ground and switched to a much more defensive stance and began to incorporate his "chicken fight" style. You can say what you want about him leaving his hands down but he has proven to be excellent with TDD when fighting like this. I think he was trying to frustrate Weidman into sloppy take down attempts while getting his timing down and eventually catch him on the way in or moving straight back on a failed attempt. The problem was Weidman was the longer fighter. He was fantastic with his head movement and distance and he caught Silva with a punch Silva didn't think he had the range to connect with.

I thought the fight had a very intriguing dynamic to it with arguably one of the best two or three moments I've ever seen (even as a Silva fan) as it's ending. Cannot wait for the rematch.

Holy shit. I've watched every ppv since tuf 1 and that is the craziest fight of all time. Silva didn't respect him and got caught. He deserves it. My win percentage was terrible but Weidman and Swanson inside got me ahead of the man. Really think Munoz should have stopped boetsch but I got greedy (fight was even money for Munoz). USA

Munoz ITD and KO/TKO props were clearly +EV in that fight, Boetsch is one freakishly tough dude and props to him for surviving that ass whipping he endured the entire last half of the fight. Was the difference between a big night and a break even night for me but I can't be too down about it.

I completely agree with you Son. I watched the fight over and you are echoing my thoughts. I really think Weidmans range was the difference in the fight. I didn't realize his reach was longer than Silvas. I think Silva underestimated it. I had forgotten the reason the fight got back to the feet was Weidman tried a kneebar/heel hook when he was out of position to do so.

Even more evidence to what I suspected that Silva wanted no part of the ground and one way he's been successful at frustrating guys to stay on the feet is to taunt. I believe he did it to Leites, Maia, and Griffin as well.

MMA mania@mmamania<SMALL style="POSITION: relative; MARGIN-TOP: 1px; FLOAT: right; COLOR: rgb(187,187,187); FONT-SIZE: 12px" class=time>6m</SMALL>
Report: @SpiderAnderson Silva 'badly' wants @ChrisWeidmanUFC rematch, calls for @UFC fight before year's end http://sbn.to/12qWWux

DW said at the press conference to let him think about for awhile and reality will set in!

So, if they combine this fight with RR vs. MT at the end of the year, think about the potential $$$ it could generate!

If Anderson ko's Weidman I wonder if the super fight is back on, if they try to have him fight a medically enhanced vitor again, or if they go with the trilogy.

Back