UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II - Saturday, January 31st

a lot of hype on BJ, we all lost on PENN----

a lesson learned is that the first match meant nothing----

GSP is just a bigger, better wrestler and way too big and fast for PENN

thiago isn't going to be a cakewalk either but he'll give him more problems than bj did

gsp vs silva? silva would murder him

Penn is a lightweight and graet, but I think he was the best like 6 years ago, now other guys are getting better and improving thier games----

GSP is improving now- penn is slipping, his talent will not win matches vs athletes

silva may not murder him becaue silva is on the verge on retirement, so how much will he train for that fight?

gsp can take anyone down including silva

Penn is a lightweight and graet, but I think he was the best like 6 years ago, now other guys are getting better and improving thier games----

GSP is improving now- penn is slipping, his talent will not win matches vs athletes

penn is at the top of his game NOW, he just shouldn't be fighting at WW with guys that are 15 lbs bigger

again, usually in those type of fights when people move up in weight and are equally world-class, the naturally bigger guy usually wins. silva would have a huge reach not to mention a clinch game that would give gsp fits

gsp should've went for a kimura when he had bj in the crux, goes to show you that he really just wanted to smash his face in

Penn quits before final round, St. Pierre keeps belt at UFC 94

by John Morgan on Feb 01, 2009 at 12:50 am ET
georges-st-pierre-12.jpg
LAS VEGAS - With one of the most vocal crowds in UFC history hanging on every move inside the octagon, UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (18-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) continued his dominant run through the UFC's welterweight division.

A bruising assault that rendered B.J. Penn (13-5-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) defenseless for much of the third and fourth rounds left the lightweight unable to answer the bell for the the bout's fifth and final round, and "The Prodigy" fell short in his bid to become the UFC's first dual belt-holder.

The bout capped off the sold-out UFC 94 event from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

After a first round that saw the Canadian superstar unable to wrestle "The Prodigy" to the floor during an extended feeling-out process, the momentum shifted decidedly in St. Pierre's favor beginning with the second frame.

St. Pierre used his extended reach on the feet to bloody Penn's nose while using his wrestling prowess to negate the Hawaiian's elite-level jiu-jitsu. Penn looked for opportunities while alternating between open, closed and rubber versions of the guard, but St. Pierre provided little in the way of openings while providing much in the way damaging strikes.

Penn's will appeared broken as he walked dejectedly to his corner when the third round came to a close, and the fourth saw the increasingly inevitable end arrive.

St. Pierre rocked Penn repeatedly with shots from side control, half-guard and even Penn's full guard. Penn looked defenseless underneath his foe, and the damage continued to amass until the fourth round ended. Referee Herb Dean gave Penn every opportunity to survive, but his corner refused to send the lightweight champ out to endure any more damage in the final round.

With the win, St. Pierre has now won five-straight contests, and 11 of his past 12. The loss was Penn's first in his past four contests, but the 30-year-old will still maintain his lightweight title.

The evening's co-main event between previously undefeated Brazilian light-heavyweights Lyoto Machida (14-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and Thiago Silva (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) figured to favor the aggressive Silva early, but the elusive Machida late. In reality it favored "The Dragon" throughout.

Silva opened as aggressively as promised, but Machida once again displayed the masterful footwork and dangerous counter-striking that have provided him wins over a host of the world's best fighters.

After dominating the whole of the first frame, including several stiff counter-punches that visibly rocked Silva, Machida deftly tripped his opponent to the floor. With time running out, the move seemed innocent enough, but the right hand that followed was delivered with evil intentions.

The blow squeezed in a fraction of a second before the end of the round, and Silva was left unconscious on the mat. A glancing left followed just after the horn, but the damage had already been done. Referee Yves Lavigne waved off the contest when Silva could not rise to return to his corner.

Following the bout, Machida said he felt Silva was a game opponent.

"Thiago is a tough guy, but today I was better than him," Machida said. "I love my fans in Las Vegas, America. When I fight here, I feel at home."

After pandering to the sell-out crowd, Machida asked his new friends if he was ready for a 205-pound title shot.

"People, do I deserve the title shot?" Machida asked "I'm ready. Whenever, whomever, I'll be here."

Light-heavyweight Jon Jones (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) was looking to prove his August 2008 UFC debut win over Andre Gusmao was no fluke with an impressive performance against fan-favorite Stephan Bonnar (11-5 MMA, 5-4 UFC). After 15 minutes of wild kicks, powerful throws and spinning elbows, "Bones" had done exactly that.

Jones got off to a quick start, slamming Bonnar to the mat with a variety of tosses and throws. The 21-year-old landed an impressive array of strikes between the takedowns, and in his first appearance in 15 months "The American Psycho" was undoubtedly on the defensive.

Bonnar showed flashes of the counter-striking and heart made famous in his 2005 battle with Forrest Griffin, and Jones tired in the waning moments of the second frame. The pace slowed in the third as well, and Bonnar began to capitalize on his opponent's increasing fatigue. Unfortunately for Bonnar, the fight had already been decided.

Jones was awarded the unanimous decision win and remains undefeated in his young career.

Bonnar was defeated for the first time in three contests, and falls to 2-3 in his past five bouts.

A battle of welterweight judokas Karo Parisyan (19-5 MMA, 8-3 UFC) and Dong Hyun Kim (11-1-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) didn't quite live up to most fans' expectations, but the result did fall right in line with the remainder of the card.

Overcoming recent battles with panic attacks, Parisyan returned to the cage for the first time in over nine months. Whether it was ring rust or mental preparedness, "The Heat" came out flat in the opening frame.

A Greg Jackson pep-talk between rounds lifted Parisyan's spirits in the second, and a vintage-Parisyan judo toss dropped Kim to the floor. That brief moment was one of the final highlights of the match.

An uninspired third round left the crowd booing the participants, and the ringside judges found themselves with the unenviable task of determining a winner. Two of the three selected Parisyan.

The evening's pay-per-view broadcast opened with a lightweight clash between Clay Guida (25-9 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Nate Diaz (10-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC). An even contest in terms of cardio fitness and heart, many observers felt the great size difference between the two would prove difficult for Guida to overcome.

Guida erased those concerns by only going to the ground in select situations and instead outworking Diaz with a smothering attack for the duration of the 15 minute contest.

Guida utilized effective wrestling and body control to keep Diaz from using his long limbs to lock in any consequential submission attempts. A flurry of left and right hands from Diaz in the third round wobbled Guida briefly, but "The Carpenter" quickly recovered, closed the distance and rode out the round for a split-decision victory.

The victory was Guida's third-straight since his memorable 2007 loss to Roger Huerta.

"I know it wasn't pretty," Guida said. "(But) it's a win.

"I'm coming up to the top of the lightweight division. Be ready for it. I can not wait."

The loss was Diaz's first in six trips to the UFC.

SEE ALSO:
Fitch, Tavares victorious in decision-filled preliminary card at UFC 94

FULL RESULTS

• Georges St. Pierre def. B.J. Penn via TKO (corner stoppage) - Round 4, 5:00
  • Lyoto Machida def. Thiago Silva via knockout (punch) -- Round 1, 4:59
  • Jon Jones def. Stephan Bonnar via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
  • Karo Parisyan def. Dong Hyun Kim via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
  • Clay Guida def. Nate Diaz via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
  • Jon Fitch def. Akihiro Gono via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-26)
  • Thiago Tavares def. Manny Gamburyan via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
  • John Howard def. Chris Wilson via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
  • Jake O'Brien def. Christian Wellisch via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
  • Dan Cramer def. Matt Arroyo via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)

Chip I nailed the fight with that comment think about it---

Penn said he trained for cardio but it does not matter, either you have it, or you don;t-

I am very fast runner, but I have no long distance cardio at all, SHOGUN is another guy he has no cardio at alll, and will have none vs LIDDELL---

YOu cant train for cardio, if it is not in your DNA, you cant just be a cardio machine bro---

Its like guys who are sprinters vs guys who are long distance runners--
GSP is naturally a good heart, BJ has no cardio and will never have any cardio, he is not an athlete, his heart has no power in it to keep him going--

he is like me, i am fast, sprinter speed, but a terrible long distance runner, i cant even finish the race

Jon Fitch def. Akihiro Gono via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-26)

some weird scoring. how the eff do you have 30-26 and 29-28 in the same fight

fighting is a lot about cardio, GSP is heads and shoulders above everyone he fights--

a guy like anderson silva will rival GSP because he is smarter fighter and taller and dangerous also--

But cardio is genetic, look at it logically, some guys have it, some guys dont, PENN never had it, today was the worst CARDIO I ahve seen in my life from PENN, he looked worse than ever--

IF you ask me it looked like his training camp was shit, and his trainers were shit, and his cardio was shit, and his gameplan was shit, and everything about him was shit-
He shouls have just walked out of the octagon, he literally mailed this one, it was so bad his performance that I wonder if he was paid by DANA WHITE to throw this fight-

I would never imagine PENN performing so fucking bad unless DANA gave him a quick million and told him to tank this fight- He looked dead from the start of the first round- a total mismatach, maybe GSps easiest fight of his career

having said what i said above i wont take anything away from GSP, he dominated PENN and made him look like a BITCH--

GSP is one of the best in teh world, he proved it tonight, and gets full credit and my respect as a fighter, this guy just wants to be great, like jordan, tiger woods, He is on a mission to be great--

all the credit to GSP as he is taking his game to new levels--

if they fought 100 times GSP wins 100 times--

Gsp showed class after killing PENN he gave himsome words of encouragement---

Class act, I lost on PENN but am glad that piece of hawaiin shit learned a lessson to not talk trash---

If you gonna talk trash you piece of shit PENN, back it up pussy, and dont quit--

PENN is a joke as a pro athlete, he showed up like a fat ass lazy bitch--

PENN is the bitch, i lost, BUt at least a canadian killed this trash talking hawaiian punk fat ass lazy piece of shit, who talked a tough game and mailed a fight in--

He did nothing all fight long, he is the pussy

Chip I nailed the fight with that comment think about it---

Penn said he trained for cardio but it does not matter, either you have it, or you don;t-

I am very fast runner, but I have no long distance cardio at all, SHOGUN is another guy he has no cardio at alll, and will have none vs LIDDELL---

YOu cant train for cardio, if it is not in your DNA, you cant just be a cardio machine bro---

Its like guys who are sprinters vs guys who are long distance runners--
GSP is naturally a good heart, BJ has no cardio and will never have any cardio, he is not an athlete, his heart has no power in it to keep him going--

he is like me, i am fast, sprinter speed, but a terrible long distance runner, i cant even finish the race

You're making no sense, Sammy.

My friend Jesse was 182lbs. He started eating better and running nightly. At first he could not run a mile continuously. Three months later, Jesse is 158lbs and can run 7mi a night. You can without a doubt train for cardio (endurance).

There was a run-down boxing gym near my college campus that a few of my friends attended. Black guys without a high school education training and talking and boxing and learning with white kids that were getting their biology or chemical engineering degree. I loved that a place like that existed where guys could be guys and bonded by a simple interest -- to become a better boxer. The first rule the old black man that was the trainer had was that newcomers had to be able to run with the rest of the boxers before stepping into the gym to hit the bags or learn the first thing about boxing.

Cardio is arguably the most important factor when it comes to boxing or MMA, and yes cardio is training. Why do you think boxers/fighters run for miles a day? Not because it was their God-given gift, not because they enjoy running in the snow while their nose runs and their lungs burn from the cold air, but because cardio is training and cardio must be kept up if you plan on being competitive.

UFC 94 salaries: Georges St. Pierre earns $400K of $1.1 million payroll

With a successful dense of his UFC welterweight title, Georges St. Pierre took home an event-high $400,000 from this past Saturday's UFC 94 event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

His opponent, B.J. Penn, earned $125,000, and other top earners included Lyoto Machida ($120,000), Karo Parisyan ($80,000) and preliminary-card fighter Jon Fitch ($68,000).

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $1,091,000.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently requested and today received the list of disclosed salary figures from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

The full list of paydays included:

Georges St. Pierre: $400,000 (includes $200,000 win bonus)
def. B.J. Penn: $125,000

Lyoto Machida: $120,000 ($60,000 win bonus)
def. Thiago Silva: $29,000

Jon Jones: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)
def. Stephan Bonnar: $22,000

Karo Parisyan: $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus)
def. Dong Hyun Kim: $26,000

Clay Guida: $40,000 ($20,000 win bonus)
def. Nate Diaz: $20,000

Jon Fitch: $68,000 ($34,000 win bonus)
def. Akihiro Gono: $28,000

Thiago Tavares: $26,000 ($13,000 win bonus)
def. Manny Gamburyan: $14,000

John Howard: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Wilson: $15,500

Jake O'Brien: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus)
def. Christian Wellisch: $12,000

Dan Cramer: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Arroyo: $8,000

All of the night's losing fighters could have doubled their salaries with a victory.

Howard, Wilson, Guida, Diaz and Machida get $65K UFC 94 bonuses

LAS VEGAS - John Howard, Chris Wilson, Clay Guida, Nate Diaz and Lyoto Machida each earned $65,000 "fight night" bonuses for their performances at "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II."

UFC 94 took place Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and aired live on pay-per-view. The bonus amounts were up significantly from the $40,000 awards issued at UFC 93 earlier this month, and a slight increase from the $60,000 UFC 92 bonuses in December 2008.

The UFC announced the bonuses at the UFC 94 post-fight press conference and were confirmed by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

With eight of the evening's 10 bouts going to the judges' scorecards -- including five by split decision -- the UFC had several close bouts to select from in choosing the evening's "Fight of the Night." With the challenge too daunting, the organization instead chose rewarded two sets of competitors.

Howard's split-decision win over Wilson on the evening's un-televised preliminary card and Guida's pay-per-view broadcast opening split-decision win over fellow lightweight Diaz each earned "Fight of the Night" recognition.

Had you been informed in advance that the night's "Knockout of the Night" bonus would come from the evening's light-heavyweight co-feature between Brazilians Machida and Silva, all bets would certainly have been on the hyper-aggressive Silva taking home the additional cash. Instead it was Machida who earned the first knockout of his career at the last possible moment of the opening round. One of just two non-decisions on the bout, the result was the evening's only true knockout. Machida will now hope to parlay the bonus into a 205-pound title shot later this year.

For the second time in three events, the evening's 10-bout card ended without a single submission. As such, no "Submission of the Night" was issued. "UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008" was the first UFC event to end without a submission since UFC Fight Night 7 on Dec. 13, 2006.

Kizer: Penn yet to file UFC 94 appeal, St. Pierre's corner could face action

While the utter domination of B.J. Penn by Georges St. Pierre during the two champions' UFC 94 main-event bout can not be questioned, the tactics implemented by the Canadian's team between rounds of Saturday's fight has left the group open for disciplinary action.

Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that an improper application of Vaseline to St. Pierre's back by his cornermen has already merited a stern warning from the commission, and further actions may follow.

"There was no need for it," Kizer said of the incident in question. "It was disturbing. Where it goes from here, if anything, I don't know."

Immediately following the end of Saturday's UFC 94 bout, reports of an impending appeal to be filed by Penn's camp began to surface. Kizer said that although nothing official has been filed by Penn or his camp, the NSAC was already well aware of the improprieties in question.

Kizer and his team actually began dealing with the possible application of Vaseline to St. Pierre's back and shoulders during the match.

"The first round, one of the inspectors that was on the outside of the cage came over to me and said it looked to him that when the cornerman, who I think in that case was Phil Nurse, put the Vaseline on Georges' face then rubbed his shoulders -- which you see the guys rubbing the other guy's shoulders to help him out -- he didn't wipe off his hands between doing that. I said, 'Well, I'm going to watch very closely after this round.'"

Kizer watched intently to see if the questionable actions would be repeated as the second round came to a close.

"At the end of the second round I watched, and then another cornerman who I believe was Greg Jackson, he put the Vaseline on Georges' face, and then he put his hand on his back to do the breathing thing they always do," Kizer said. "As soon as I saw that, it looked like there was still some Vaseline on his hand. Not a lot, but still some.

"Tony Liano and I immediately yelled at him, and I don't think he heard us because of the noise. So I actually went into the octagon, and I said, 'Take your hand off of his back. What are you doing?' We wiped it down. We made sure it was wiped down after the third round as well. This was after the second when I was in there. I was very upset. I don't know if they were doing it intentionally or not. Either way, they shouldn't have done it."

Once KIzer left the octagon after the second round, he alerted additional commission and UFC representatives of the improper actions.

"I came out of the octagon and explained to the commissioner what I saw," Kizer said. "I also motioned towards (UFC President) Dana (White) and (UFC co-owner) Lorenzo (Fertitta) so they'd know what I was doing in there. After the fight, actually both Mr. White and Mr. Fertitta both commented on how they're not sure whether those guys need to corner any other UFC's ever again. I leave that to them from a company standpoint. We'll deal with it from a commission standpoint."

Kizer admits he's still uncertain whether the corner was simply careless in their actions or if they had hoped to gain an advantage by making St. Pierre's back slippery through the application of the Vaseline.

"It wasn't necessary," Kizer said. "It definitely wasn't fair to Mr. Penn. I don't think it was even fair to Mr. St. Pierre.

"His cornerman should have been more careful if it was an accident. If it was intentional that's even worse. Just very, very disturbing."

Some observers believed Penn's camp's complaints following the bout were a simple example of making excuses for a loss. Kizer revealed the concerns from Penn may have actually started at the conclusion of the opening round.

"I found out this morning -- I talked with another inspector of mine -- he said that apparently B.J. Penn had complained to the inspector in his corner after either the first or second round that he though maybe Georges was a little slippery," Kizer said. "I found that out this morning. At the same time he was complaining we were actually handling the situation in Georges' corner. It's just unfortunate."

Kizer said that the amount of Vaseline he saw applied didn't seem terribly excessive, but that no amount of the substance should have ever been involved.

"It wasn't like [St. Pierre's cornerman's] hand was covered in Vaseline, but he went directly from the face to the shoulders," Kizer said. "By itself it's not a problem, but if there was still some Vaseline residue on, which there very well could have been, you've got to be more careful than that.

"Again, I don't know if that was a trick they were trying to play on us or not, but regardless it's improper. We took the action we did after the second and third round."

Kizer said it isn't necessary for Penn's camp to file an official claim in order for the NSAC to issue further penalties, but that the Hawaiian's representatives are more than welcome to press the matter if they see fit.

"If they do file something, we'll obviously deal with it in due course," Kizer said. "Whether or not the commission wants to do anything on their own initiative, other than what we've already done, obviously, in giving them a very, very stern warning, (I don't know).

"Anytime you have disciplinary action it could involve a suspension, it could involve a fine, it could involve a revocation. But it's a little premature to be talking about that."

Kizer said that although the cornermen could face further disciplinary actions, there was no reason to believe the outcome of the fight would be overturned.

"They can definitely file a complaint against the cornerman," Kizer said. "But that's probably it. I don't know. We'll see. I don't see any basis to protest the decision, but you can definitely complain against the actions of the cornerman.

"My understanding is there's four ways you can overturn a decision. There's a scoring error. There's some sort of collusion, you know, someone paid off a judge, etc. The third is a positive drug test, and the fourth is the referee misinterpreted the rules. For example if you had the old boxing rule of three knockdowns in a round and after the third knockdown the referee says, 'Hey the fighter's fine. He can continue,' and he ends up winning the fight, you can overturn it then because the referee misinterpreted the rules. So I don't see any basis here.

"The example I give is Gaylord Perry of the (San Diego) Padres back in the day was known for putting Vaseline on the ball. The umpires did their best. Let's say it's the eighth inning and his team is up 10-0, he's throwing a shutout, and they find out on some pitch that he put Vaseline on the ball. They take action against him, but that wouldn't invalidate the rest of the game. Although you could argue maybe he used it on every pitch and got this 10-run lead.

"But again, the Penns have the right to file whatever they're going to file, and we'd look into it and see if there is any basis for whatever they asked for."

While the matter remains unresolved for now, Kizer said the NSAC has already dealt with the matter as best it can up this point.

"We wiped [St. Pierre] down very, very hard," Kizer said. "And even after the end of the third round, even though there was no touching of his back with Vaseline, we still wiped him down again after that round, too, just to be safe. You do the best you can to make it back to an even playing field and go from there.

"And I did tell the cornermen that if we ever see this again, that's it for them. I don't know the outcome of this specific incident, but we definitely gave them a warning that if we ever see that happen again that's probably the last time they'd be cornering in Nevada. As far as cornering in the UFC elsewhere, I'll leave that to the owners of the UFC."

Kizer also said it was a shame that such a dominating performance by the UFC's welterweight champion may always have an asterisk beside it in many fans' minds.

"It's just an unfortunate incident," Kizer said. "No fight needs it, especially a fight of this caliber.

"The fans can make their own conclusions on what they felt from their aspect. They saw what I saw for the most part based on some of the .gifs (small video clips) out there showing what happened.

"This may have tainted [St. Pierre's] victory in the eyes of many fans, and it's his cornerman's fault for that. It doesn't take away his victory, but it does take away from his victory in the eyes of many fans, I believe."

LAS VEGAS - John Howard, Chris Wilson, Clay Guida, Nate Diaz and Lyoto Machida each earned $65,000 "fight night" bonuses for their performances at "UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II."

Not only does John Jones get a paltry $14K which includes $7K for winning the fight, he DOESN'T get a fight night bonus? What more could he have done? And I guess I need to watch the Guida/Diaz fight again to see what I missed to make it so worthy of fight night bonuses!

Anyone else think this is strange?

one sided fights never get FOTN Jones owned bonner...Guida Diaz was back and forth and a split decision...that kid is gonna be interesting to watch

one sided fights never get FOTN Jones owned bonner...

Except that the Machida fight was pretty one sided too and it got fight of the night honours. Just think Jones really deserved the $65K more than any of these other guys who got it.

Penns leg was slipping every time, I recorded the fight, his leg slipped off his back--

ALthough GSP won anyway and kicked his ass, dont think the vaseline made a difference in the outcome

Back