Thursday Lakers/Clippers Discussion

Gorgolon Lives

The Reverend of CTG
I am looking at information on the game. I will post my thoughts as I am looking at them. Feel free to chime in w/ thoughts.

Right now the line is Lakers -2.5 Clippers

Lakers lead season series 2-1. But I think we gotta throw out the first 2 losses. I dont think Kaman was fully healthy, though he DID play. And Cassell played both games early. Since Hart has taken over, this team is much different.

kinda liking the clips wit the points....lakers cant put shit together

Clippers won the last contest 90-82 in a defensive battle, but I see these stats, which are alarming.

Maggette: 22pts
Brand: 12pts
Kaman: 17pts
Mobley: 18pts
Hart: 14pts

This tells me the Clippers offense was run successfully last game with this balanced scoring.

what was the line last time? this is a neutral court after all. i would start there.

Clippers got to the FT line 10 more times. Maggette was 12-16 FT! Walton simply cannot play in the league. Im telling you right now. If his shot was decent, he'd make it, but he can't play. The guy cant defend or rebound. If Maggette gets that production again, Clips win this game.

Kobe had 29 in the game on 34 FG attempts. He got to the line just 4 times. That tells me he took a lot of jumpers from the outside. Clippers love to pack their D in. They don't allow many easy baskets.

Kaman had 17 and 14. Bynum simply cant defend right now. I like his potential, but he's so raw right now. Kaman should have another nice night, if he stays out of foul trouble. And that shouldnt be a problem. The Laker centers attempted only 15 total FGs and scored 10pts last game.

Last edited:
I tried taking the previous 2 games into context but I cant.

In game 2, these players all contributed: Kwame Brown (34mins), Radmanovic (11min), Cassell (33min), Aaron Williams started (9mins), Livingston (27mins)

Clippers sit .5 games back from #8 Golden State. The tie breaker goes to Clippers because they have a better divisonal record.

Lakers sits 2 games back from 6 (That's out of reach). And they sit 2 games up from #8.

If Lakers lose this game, that makes the series tied 2-2. The tie breaker for the 7th seed would go to the Lakers if they were tied with the Clippers. If Lakers tie with GS for the 7th spot, Lakers also have the tie breaker there.

I'm leaning Clippers strongly here.

Btw, that's some story you've got there on Josh Hamilton, Believe. I see that was nearly a year ago, what has happened since then? sorry for the offtopic.

Lakers is 2-0 SU vs Spurs this year.

Lakers is 1-1 SU vs. Pheonix this year.

Spurs sit in 3rd, PHX sits in 2nd. And PHX is only up 2 games. So whether the Lakers finish 6 or 7 doesn't really matter.

I'm leaning Clippers strongly here.

Btw, that's some story you've got there on Josh Hamilton, Believe. I see that was nearly a year ago, what has happened since then? sorry for the offtopic.

I believe he got his first hit today Tuesday for the Reds. It was a home-run.

Lakers remaining games:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">4/12/2007</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">LA CLIPPERS</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td></tr><tr><td class="matchupCells Text">4/13/2007</td><td class="matchupCells Text">@ PHOENIX</td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td></tr><tr><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">4/15/2007</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">SEATTLE</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td></tr><tr><td class="matchupCells Text">4/18/2007</td><td class="matchupCells Text">@ SACRAMENTO</td></tr></tbody></table>

If we mark losses vs. LAC and PHX and wins in the last 2 games.

Lakers will STILL finish in the 7th spot. UNLESS the Clippers go undefeated down the stretch. Even if the Warriors win out, Lakers cant finish worse than #7, unless LAC wins out.

Clippers remaining games:

<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">4/12/2007</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">@ LA LAKERS</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td></tr><tr><td class="matchupCells Text">4/13/2007</td><td class="matchupCells Text">PORTLAND</td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td></tr><tr><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">4/15/2007</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">SACRAMENTO</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text"> </td></tr><tr><td class="matchupCells Text">4/17/2007</td><td class="matchupCells Text">@ PHOENIX</td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td><td class="matchupCells Text"> </td></tr><tr><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">4/18/2007</td><td class="matchupCellsWhite Text">NEW ORLEANS</td></tr></tbody></table>

You are aware that Kobe withdrew his name from consideration for MVP because of the lack of success of the team. I do see that as a ploy to spark the team. When the Clippers beat them last game Clippers had won 6 of last 7 games. Now they have dropped 3 games in a row and 2 of those games should have been won. Agree the new point guard has been a big help but see a turning of the tide here. Also very curious who is playing for the Lakers tomorrow. GL

The Clippers would need to win at both Pheonix AND New Orleans to capture the 7th spot from Lakers. And notice, those 2 games are on a b2b.

Now the Clippers:

.5 games behind Golden State for #8. But look who Golden State faces down the stretch:

<table class="datatable" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="cell1"><td>04/13</td><td>10:05 PM</td><td>at SACRAMENTO</td></tr><tr class="cell2"><td>04/15</td><td>4:05 PM</td><td>vs MINNESOTA</td></tr><tr class="cell1"><td>04/17</td><td>10:35 PM</td><td>vs DALLAS</td></tr><tr class="cell2"><td>04/18</td><td>10:05 PM</td><td>at PORTLAND</td></tr></tbody></table>

That's 4 EASY wins. That Dallas game has now turned into a Win for GSW, especially at home. Which is why I HATE when teams sit players. It kills other teams for seeding by just giving away games.

So, this game now becomes an elimation game for the Clippers. If they lose tonight vs. Lakers, they will be OUT of the playoffs. No doubts about it, unless you believe Golden State loses one of their last 4 games.

You are aware that Kobe withdrew his name from consideration for MVP because of the lack of success of the team. I do see that as a ploy to spark the team. When the Clippers beat them last game Clippers had won 6 of last 7 games. Now they have dropped 3 games in a row and 2 of those games should have been won. Agree the new point guard has been a big help but see a turning of the tide here. Also very curious who is playing for the Lakers tomorrow. GL

I believe this game means more to the Clippers than Lakers. Realistically, the Lakers magic # is 2 wins out of their next 4 to get the #7 seed. I believe those wins come in the final 2 games: vs Seattle & at Sacramento.

That's it for now. The play is Clippers + the points.

The line should be around 3 by tip. Basically, the wrong team is favored here.

Why are you sure they will sit players. General rule in these situations is you play for real if the game has meaning. We saw that in hockey in the Devils match with Islanders which went to a shootout even though it was meaningless to Devils because it did matter to Toronto.

Why are you sure they will sit players. General rule in these situations is you play for real if the game has meaning. We saw that in hockey in the Devils match with Islanders which went to a shootout even though it was meaningless to Devils because it did matter to Toronto.

I think if you read the Dallas news, you will see what Avery Johnson's idea is heading into playoff time. He joked that he would fine Dirk if he hopped on the team's plane for their recent road trip. If any of the big guns play, the minutes will be limited.

And that Dallas game is still a home-game for Golden State. Even if the players play limited minutes, we probably will see GS as a slight favorite. At least PK.

Think the game has a fair line, both teams want to win. I lean Lakers, they are at home and Kobe can make the difference against less stellar teams.

LAC has been playing very team defense in April.... their last 4 of 5 games went under except the NO when the game went to OT.

Trend will continue...the under is the play for me!

Well all I know is the Lakers are playing some of the worse basketball in the NBA right now. Not only are they playing poorly what many of you aren't realizing is they're not a lock to make the playoffs. If they lose tonight and tomorrow and both the Clippers and Warriors hold serve all three of these teams will have 40 losses. The Lakers are clearly playing the worse ball of the three and I hate to say it but if LAL doesn't win tonight I think they might be out come next Wednesday night. The Clippers certainly have a tough upcoming schedule since tonight begins 4 games in 5 nights to end the season but we shall see. I'm so sick of reading about how the Lakers want to play Phoenix. The Lakers at this point want to make the playoffs. They need to do that first and losing tonight and tomorrow will really make things very interesting.

I agree with you Handy. If your gonna consider a team fighting for the playoff lives, it's gotta include the Lake show too. None of the teams would throw a game for positioning on who they play unless they had a spot secured already.

Coge & handy...Just wanted to make sure you guys weren't reading my thread wrong. I never mentioned anything about Lakers throwing the game for a better seed. I simply said getting the 6 or 7 seed is irrelevant, because both match-ups will be difficult, and we don't even know which 2 teams will have the seeds because Spurs is still 2 games back from Suns for #2.

Back