Phoenix @ LA Lakers

SF_capper

CTG addict
interesting game. what's your thoughts on this one? If any1 remembers, last time these 2 teams met LA spanked them and there was the drama of D'Antoni callin the timeout in the 4th Q down like 20+ then Phil calls a timeout immediately after. D'antoni erupted off that shit saying it was rude messed up and that he'll remember this cuz they meet many times this yr and how Phoenix always knocks out LA in the playoffs, Phil said pretty much that D'Antoni was an idiot and that he called the timeout cuz a mandatory TV timeout was coming up so he called the timeout to make sure there was no more stops to the game. D'antoni said Phil should said somehting to him when he did it. sooo how I got this was...

D'antoni was just talking outta frustration from losing big to the rival. then when Phil stated the fact about the mandatory coming, he felt like an idiot. He's gonna try his ass off to embarass LA and call all his timeouts in the 4th
Phil Jackson and the rest of the Lakers will prolly be pissed off that D'antoni brought up that Phoenix always knocks LA outta the playoffs.

Thus... both teams will be motivated as hell not to mention its a christmas ABC show. well I think Phil is the better coach by fucking far. however, it is true D'antoni, the suns, have beat Jackson, the Lakers, every yr in the playoffs, meaning if Jackson could really think of something to beat these guys, he wouldn've the past yrs.

It can be argued that this is the best Lakers squad in yrs, bettr than the othr yrs. Phoenix is struggling a bit. Could Lakers do it again?

Motivation: even
coaching: Lakers
Players: Phoenix
homecourt: Lakers
rest: kinda Phoenix

no idea on the line here, dunno who the pub will be on. I think Bynum has a monster game. I think D'antoni pushes the shit outta this game and makes it a run game. not sure what jackson does, as the home team usually controls the tempo. I'm leaning to Suns and over (like a square)

what are you guys' thoughts? thought predictions?

The only interesting moment down the stretch came when Suns coach Mike D'Antoni became livid when Lakers coach Phil Jackson called a timeout, right after the Suns called one, with 4:55 to play and Phoenix trailing 111-78.

"Yeah, I was pretty upset," D'Antoni said. "I thought he disrespected our players. But he likes to play the mind games and that's fine. He might want to try to do it in playoff time when we bust them every year."

Jackson said he was just getting a mandatory timeout out of the way.

"He wasn't thinking straight. That's all," Jackson said of D'Antoni. "He'd understand that if he thought about it for a second. I think he thought I was trying to showboat or grandstand. But when you have a mandatory timeout coming in a minute and a half or something like that, just get it out of the way."

another thing keeping me scared

Lakers almost gave away a 20+ lead to the knicks maybe they come out extra motivated for this

gut feel on the game is that it opens with a really soft line, suns -2 or something which the public pounds and the lakers end up with the win. kinda like the lakers vs. cavs on TNT.

a great sign would be if the game is a PK or slight Laker favorite. :smiley_acbe:

altho the revenge factor is very scary. it seems like the suns always keep blowouts in the back of their minds, just waiting for the next game where they can make amends.

a key to me is that the suns aren't really shooting the 3ball all that well. Nash is the only one shooting above 40%. barbosa went of for 7 three's vs. toronto, but he's been streaky all season and doesn't really seem to carry one performance to the next. Hill does a lot of things well for them, but 3 point shooting isn't one of them

Guarding the 3 point line is what has burned them vs the suns in the past. and this years lakers team 5th in opponent 3 point %.

so its going to be an improved laker defense going against a less potent suns offense.

edit: suns are 6th in the nba in three, so its not like theyre shitty. but i still don't think they're nearly as good as they've been in years past.

also, with the emergence of Bynum, there are mismatches all over the court for the lakers offense.

Lakers have played the suns so many times over the past 2 years, they should have a handle on what it takes to slow them down.

one problem for the lakers is that the suns last 5 games have been vs. the jazz, hornets, spurs, mavs and raptors over the past 2 weeks, while the lakers have beaten up on the clipps and a bunch of eastern teams, bulls, cavs, 6ers, knicks.

so the suns will be a significant step up in competition.

hopefully the over will be playable.......altho even that is risky since the game will no doubt be played at a playoff intensity. but at the same time both offenses should have their way with the defenses.

:4_12_12:

I wouldn't overplay that spat between the 2 coaches end of the day it is really the players who will determine the result hence their motivation is the intangible you really need to consider here.

also think the Suns will be a public play. Phoenix will be on my guess, a small road fave, say -2. And the typical person looking for action on Christmas will say wtf Phoenix so small fave over the Lakers? Its the Suns against the one-man team (I'm not saying the lakers are a one-man team. if any1 watched them play this yr, Lakers playin great- rebounding, every1 contributing in the shooting, its pretty). but I'm saying the public iwll be on it if it matters to any1. I hate being on the same side as any ignorant fan, but this may be the scenario. Also, gotta imagine abc will post the quotes so every1 knows and bets the line up.. shit

I wouldn't overplay that spat between the 2 coaches end of the day it is really the players who will determine the result hence their motivation is the intangible you really need to consider here.

agreed. but I imagine say D'antoni's comments of always knocking out the Lakers motivates the players as well. and the suns players will be motiavted from that huge home loss

gut feel on the game is that it opens with a really soft line, suns -2 or something which the public pounds and the lakers end up with the win. kinda like the lakers vs. cavs on TNT.

a great sign would be if the game is a PK or slight Laker favorite. :smiley_acbe:

altho the revenge factor is very scary. it seems like the suns always keep blowouts in the back of their minds, just waiting for the next game where they can make amends.

a key to me is that the suns aren't really shooting the 3ball all that well. Nash is the only one shooting above 40%. barbosa went of for 7 three's vs. toronto, but he's been streaky all season and doesn't really seem to carry one performance to the next. Hill does a lot of things well for them, but 3 point shooting isn't one of them

Guarding the 3 point line is what has burned them vs the suns in the past. and this years lakers team 5th in opponent 3 point %.

so its going to be an improved laker defense going against a less potent suns offense.

edit: suns are 6th in the nba in three, so its not like theyre shitty. but i still don't think they're nearly as good as they've been in years past.

also, with the emergence of Bynum, there are mismatches all over the court for the lakers offense.

Lakers have played the suns so many times over the past 2 years, they should have a handle on what it takes to slow them down.

one problem for the lakers is that the suns last 5 games have been vs. the jazz, hornets, spurs, mavs and raptors over the past 2 weeks, while the lakers have beaten up on the clipps and a bunch of eastern teams, bulls, cavs, 6ers, knicks.

so the suns will be a significant step up in competition.

hopefully the over will be playable.......altho even that is risky since the game will no doubt be played at a playoff intensity. but at the same time both offenses should have their way with the defenses.

:4_12_12:

pretty much agree with everything you've said, which pretty much was nothing. heh. i mean I agree the Lakers are improved this yr, and the suns kinda are not. but we are scared of the revnge factor. we have the same line guess. and I agree that I'm lookin at the over, but the playoff atmosphere and Phil trying to slow this down could screw it

the emergence of bynum on the inside and fish & farmar at point are keys. both positions are big reasons why the lakers match up much better with the suns this season than ever before.

Very unusual post here. Everything is accurate. Very unlikely that I bet this game before half time but would lean heavily to the Lakers on any spread 4 or greater if that comes out.

another thing keeping me scared

Lakers almost gave away a 20+ lead to the knicks maybe they come out extra motivated for this

I wouldnt be worried about typically overpaid NBGay players sitting on a giant lead vs an opponent they have no respect for. Its the very basis for so many mooses.

For those considering a total play on this game, its important to realise the difference between these 2 sides meeting in the regular season vs meeting in the playoffs, when it comes to playing at Staples.

(all scores in regulation)
.......in playoff games in LA - O/U 2-3, 195.6 pt avg

in reg. season games in LA - O/U 4-1, 220.8 pt avg*

*I havent incl. one game played in late April (05-06 season) when the game meant nothing to PHX, hence they only scored 89(-109 LA, an Under result). I think to incl. it would cast an incorrect shadow on the general trend being betrayed by these stats overall.

The highest regulation total in a playoff game in LA between these 2 teams (213 pts) is only 8 points higher than the lowest regulation total in a regular season game in LA between the 2 sides (205 pts)*

Last edited:
I find it strange that people that think the Suns are playing bad this year. They are on pace for 57+ wins, and have a DEfficiency of 18, which would lead the league every year for the past ten years, except last year (themselves) and 98-99 Spurs.

That being said, On the road, on christmas day, Lakers being a legit team this year, last matchup being a Lakers romping... probably a no play for me

BOL to anyone who plays this game
:cheers:

and it comes out 2.5, 220.5

total right on with the reg season averages in LA

side spred comes out around expected. I'm leaning still to Phoenix and the over. I think something like 120-110 ish

My feeling is this total could drop to as low as 217.5, after (conditioning from) the recent Under dominance of results over the last couple of weeks: 55-32, 63.2% (which is what they happened to total in their 1st meeting in PHX earlier this season, LA 119-98). If it does, they'll likely hit 230+.

edit: Thou I note its 221 at 5Dimes.

Back