NBA Power Rankings

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
This is how I feel the NBA lines up right now. I am not taking into account injuries for most part. This is the best 8 from each conference ranked on their play. I am counting Miami fully expecting Wade to be fine come mid-April. I would have them 4-5 notches lower if he wasn't. This is not what I see forthcoming in playoffs....but we can generate some thoughts and hopefully help each other...

Just want to get a good discussion going...

1. Dallas

-Have been unreal since their 0-4 start. This team actually has a defense to lean on and can come at you many ways late in games. Have they grown into a team that wants the ring one that will let the referees and late game situations get to them? We shall see.

2. San Antonio

-Looked old and tired for much of the season. They have since come togther and are playing the best ball of any team the last month. They have the experience and the Big Fundamental in the middle. Will they be able to get by Dallas? We'll see. They were a step slow last year. If they meet it should be another awesome series. The Spurs are one of three teams in the league that can win w/o homecourt IMO.

3. Detroit

-Playing that old Detroit defense even withour Ben Wallace. Pretty amazing when you have old 84 manning one of the frontcourt spots. The offense and bench is much more equipped for playoff run this time around. The starters haven't been overworked like last year and no team in the legue other than the Spurs are better in an opponents gym. Playoff wise..gonna be tough against Cleveland or Miami playing 5-8(lol).

4. Phoenix

-Amare being part of the equation this year helps. Will Nash run into fatigue? Perhaps. They have more strength up front but it all comes down to executing a bit more in the halfcourt. I still think they will have their problems. Funny that they will have easier path to conference championship than Dallas. Not saying Utah-Lakers(as projected now) winner will be easy but the real finals this year is the 2nd round matchup between San Antonio and Dallas.

5. Houston

-My darkhorse this year is playing some ball. Nice to see JVK come outta the caveman age and allow the players to get out and run some. They still have the leagues most underrated superstar and the games best Center. They prolly will not get past first round but thats because they will be facing an undervalued 4th seed in San Antonio. Too bad the Lakers were not closer to fifth seed so Rockets could tank for 6th(lol). They could get to West Finals from a 6th seed.

6. Miami

-Wade willl be back and will be fine IMO. He will be well-rested and thats what makes Miami most dangerous in East. I would have given them little chance until he went down with injury. The thing that may hold them back is the responsibility that has come onto O'Neals shoulders. I see a rather ordinary playoffs from him. Just too old to do this for too long.

7. Cleveland

-They had that hot little stretch a few weeks back where all the forums became enamored of them. They will get Detroit in 2nd round again and it should be interesting. Give them a quick advatage with the Stern Factor. Also, LeBron has been thru a summer of disapointment. The thing is, this team still isn't better than Detroit. I can't wait to be seething thru my teeth at the phantom calls in this series(lol). It will be a good one though. Not as boring as last years(boring basketball..not games).

8. Utah

-Utah needs to develop some defense and they would be ahead of Cleveland on this list. Boozer and Memo are fun offensively and on boards but their interior defense is weak as hell. I think Deron will be excellent in playoffs and the potential Lakers matchup should be great to watch. They had been sliding until the last two games. We'll see what kinda momentum they take into playoffs.

9. Chicago

-No inside offense. That will hurt them in the playoffs. Ask teams like Detroit and Phoenix last year. Tough to win shooting jumpshots. The Cavaliers should take them out in the first round. Now, they could get hot for a series of games and play good defense. They are not built for a long playoff run though.

10. LA Lakers

-A hustle_man tribute ranking. When healthy, with Odom at the top of his game and a great coach they can give Utah a run in the first round. It will be interesting to see what Bryant does in playoffs. Its more the state of the league that they get spot 10 outta 16.

11. Denver

-Again, the bottom two-thirds of the NBA are lousy. That is why the Buggets garner such a high ranking. The potential is there. If Nene and Camby play at high levels these guys can put a scare into a team. Last years playoffs they couldn't put togtehr any offense whatsovere. Now, they have some guns but their defense is horseshit. I would love to see Denver-Phoenix just for the "fun" factor.

12. Washington

-These guys have been so dissapointing the last few months. Sure, there are injuries but they should have locked this division up. I do think if they get the 6th seed like it looks like they will at this point they will have a dogfight with Toronto. This team has three playoff series under its belt and a team like Toronto is a good matchup for them.

13. Toronto

-They will garner a three seed outta the NBA 's system. It will be great for Canada to get a team back into the playoffs. Its a young exciting team that has taken off the past few months. The nation will get to see the best young big man(well 1a with Dwight) in the game. Bosh is truly special and they have so many weapons. They will soon find out though what a liabilty TJ is on defense. Playoffs are so much about about matchups and if they play Washington watchout for Hibachi(lol).

14. Golden State

- I figure this will drum up some fun after tonights Spurs game. They have weapons and play a fun style. A great lead guard is always big for me. Baron is one of those. New Orleans was right on the cut with them for me. Clippers, nah, they may make it but they have made a mockery of what was an up and coming squad. Bay area deserves for this team to make playoffs.

15. New Jersey

-Single biggest dissapointent of NBA season. Richard Jefferson is most underused all-star in league. They can definetly put a scare into a team in playoffs though. They have experience and who knows..maybe they will gel near the end of season and suprise us. Would much rather see the Knicks in playoffs because Nets just don't deserve it.

16. Orlando

-Seemingly starting to regroup. A dominant big man, a young rising star PG and a veteran who provides a calming influence. They also play a playoff style tempo. They won't make much noise against Heat or Pistons in first round but this is the future of the East. Jameer and Howard simply need to find some partners to make this work.

Your thoughts please.....

LOL, I was going to post the same exact thing tomorrow. That's funny. I'll take a look tomorrow. And post some. Thanks.

Here is my bottom 5.

26. Atlanta
Ok seriously, when was the last time Atlanta finished .500 or above? Every year they draft young fresh talent, AND every January they prepare for next years draft. The Joe Johnson signing was nice, but not enough.

27. Charlotte
Well, when MJ is a co-owner your guarenteed smart decsions. Bikerstaft will not return next season. This team almost always seems to have injuries. The Cats are in a weak division (see # 26) so look for em to be better sooner than later.

28 Milwaukee
Wow, where to start. There is so many negatives. The biggest thing i see is defense and rebounding. Sure they can put points on the board, but the almost ALWAYS get out-rebounded. Stotts was too easy going. Hopefully Larry K can instill some hard work. Also it would be nice to see Villanueva play more than 25 games a year. Redd is to Milwaukee as KG is to Minny.

29 Boston
Not sure what went wrong here. Lets be honest the 17 game losing streak pretty much ruined the season. Plus Pierce missed a lot of games, and hes close to all they got. Im hearing Rivers isnt to worried about winning as much this late now. Hes experimenting with different line-ups (see # 30)

30 Memphis
Just a hard team to watch. Gasol missed too much time. The guys werent responding to Fratello. The main thing is this team plays in the WEST. Come on they play Dallas, San An, and Houston 4 times a piece. Thats rough. Memphis is really just messing around with there line-ups and trying to have fun.

1. Phoenix

2. San Antonio

3. Dallas

4. Detroit

5. Houston

6. Cleveland

7. Miami

8. Utah

9. Chicago

10. Denver

11. Los Angeles Lakers

12. Washington

13. Los Angeles Clippers

14. Toronto

15. Indiana

16. Orlando

Actually B.A.R. division winners are not guaranteed top 3 seeds this year. They are just guaranteed to be in the top 4. So that being said my boz..the Rockets will be playing Utah in the 1st round and I think we can get by them. Then face Dallas in the second round which I think will go 7 games. As long as my boyz dont play the suns in the playoffs I think we can match up with anyone. Wat do you guys think?

Actually B.A.R. division winners are not guaranteed top 3 seeds this year. They are just guaranteed to be in the top 4. So that being said my boz..the Rockets will be playing Utah in the 1st round and I think we can get by them. Then face Dallas in the second round which I think will go 7 games. As long as my boyz dont play the suns in the playoffs I think we can match up with anyone. Wat do you guys think?

You know what...I was thinking about this after my comment earlier...and I was starting to have an inkling that they may have changed things this past summer. Last year the 6th seeded Clippers faced the 3rd seeded Nuggets and had HCA.

I was just checking around for this...thanks for the heads up Nick..good to see yas chime in.

I def love the Rockets against Utah in first round as I said...They deserve that fate..lol.

again..thanks for clearing that up..I remember now.

That leaves for some interesting situations. A possible Chicago-DET 2nd round now. That would be fun indeed.

Obviously Houston could be the darkhorse I think they are.

Wade vs Bron in 2nd round either way.

Back