FCS Kickoff Discussion...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Hey everyone, we have real live College Football this weekend!

Lets cap it up CTG!

Line from 5Dimes

College Extra Football​
Spread​
Austin Peay vs Central Arkansas - Guardian Credit Union FCS Kickoff - Cramton Bowl - Montgomery, AL
Sat 8/29901 Austin Peay +3½ -140
9:00PM902 Central Arkansas -3½ +100

Basic primer on Central Arkansas and Austin Peay:

Central Arkansas preview capsule

NCAA Football

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 / 08:46 AM MDT / Updated: Aug 27, 2020 / 08:46 AM MDT

(Stats Perform) – Southland Conference member Central Arkansas is one of 15 FCS programs (out of 127 overall) that is playing nonconference games this fall. Due to coronavirus concerns, the Southland postponed its conference schedule until a potential spring season.

STADIUM: Estes Stadium

HEAD COACH: Nathan Brown (15-9, two seasons)

2019 RECORD: 9-4, 7-2 Southland (Tie/1st)

2020 FALL SCHEDULE: Austin Peay in Montgomery, Alabama (Aug. 29), at UAB (Sept. 3), at Arkansas State (Sept. 19), Missouri State (Sept. 26), at North Dakota State (Oct. 3), at Eastern Kentucky (Oct. 10), at Missouri State (Oct. 17), Eastern Kentucky (Oct. 31), at Louisiana-Lafayette (Nov. 21)

PROJECTED RETURNING STARTERS: 18 (9 offense/9 defense)

3 KEY RETURNEES: QB Breylin Smith, WR Lujuan Winningham, CB Robert Rochell

BIGGEST SHOES TO FILL: OTs Hunter Watts (graduated) and Parker Ray (knee surgery)

OUTLOOK: If the Southland co-champ, which was ranked 11th in the Stats Perform FCS Preseason Top 25, winds up playing the largest FCS schedule this fall, it won’t have a spring season. The Bears’ game at three-time defending national champion North Dakota State is considered the biggest in the FCS this fall. Smith fuels a potent passing game, having set the school’s single-season record for passing yards (3,704) and tying the mark for touchdown passes (32) last season, and he gets back top receivers Winningham and Tyler Hudson. RB Kierre Crossley seeks a strong senior campaign after the offense lacked a consistent run game last season (the Bears were last among FCS teams with a winning record). Defensively, Rochell is an NFL prospect and was joined by DL Nathan Grant and LB T.J. Campbell, the team’s top-returning tackler, on the Southland’s preseason first team.

Austin Peay preview capsule
Updated: August 27, 2020, 7:44 AM ET
Associated Press

(Stats Perform) -- Ohio Valley Conference member Austin Peay is one of 15 FCS programs (out of 127 overall) that has announced it will play at least one nonconference game this fall. Due to coronavirus concerns, the OVC postponed its conference schedule until a potential spring season.

STADIUM: Governors Stadium

INTERIM HEAD COACH: Marquase Lovings (first season)

2019 RECORD: 11-4, 7-1 Ohio Valley (Tie/1st)

2020 FALL SCHEDULE: Central Arkansas in Montgomery, Alabama (Aug. 29), at Pittsburgh (Sept. 12), at Cincinnati (Sept. 19)

PROJECTED RETURNING STARTERS: 14 (7 offense/7 defense)

3 KEY RETURNEES: QB Jeremiah Oatsvall, WR DeAngelo Wilson, NB Kordell Jackson

BIGGEST SHOES TO FILL: QB JaVaughn Craig

OUTLOOK: The Governors earned a share of their first OVC title since 1977, won twice in their first FCS playoff appearance and set a school record for wins last season. However, coach Mark Hudspeth resigned after one season, and in early July, Lovings, the associate head coach and defensive line coach, took over what would be selected the No. 13 team in the Stats Perform FCS Preseason Top 25. Craig was the All-OVC quarterback last year, but the position was stocked, with Oatsvall opening the campaign as the starter before he suffered a season-ending foot injury in the second game. He will operate behind a veteran offensive line and work with the superb wide receiver duo of Wilson (89 catches, FCS-high 1,564 receiving yards, 15 TDs) and Baniko Harley (12 overall TDs). Jackson is a first-team All-American who had a hand in 11 turnovers, headlining a defense that is stout against the run and also boasts NG Josephus Smith (18½ tackles for loss, 7½ sacks) and LB Jack McDonald (team-high 118 tackles).

Copyright 2020 by The Associated Press

Austin Peay QB (plus other position previews on that site):

The QB position isn't the biggest shoes to fill for Austin Peay. He got hurt and his backup finished the year. Did really well but this QB per the head coach has next level talent

Austin Peay had a stout run D. Central Arkansas can't run. Both have good secondarys apparently. I usually feel defenses are way ahead of offenses

Austin Peay returning 7 starters on Defense...last year they were #3 in country in yards allowed per play, #14 in defensive pass eff., they held their opponents to 3pts or less in the red zone 40% of the times opposing offenses got inside their 20, #9 in the country in rush defense...There is a reason this total is set so low...Teams that are pass heavy like Cent. Ark tend to have a slow start in their 1st games for a variety of reasons. Not sure what AP's offense is going to do tonight...I already put in Cent ARk 1H tt un 13...good chance I will have some live in play when I get a look at a couple of series.

Last edited:
Under for me please.
I’ll be putting my $ on Defense in all football until the everyone gets about 4 games under their belt. I’ll gladly lose money if an Offense clicks right off.
D/ST scoring is what might hit some overs

Interesting. Have a few friends that have kids on the team and haven’t heard about Rona
And nothing on the news here.
11 athletes had it end of Jun and they stopped workouts. Not sure if all or any were football players
Vols has to shut down practice yesterday though

CA and N Dakota State on Oct 3. Can't wait. That NDSt QB is outstanding, one of the best I saw last year.

That game Saturday showed what many of us knew all along, the Group of Five and the FCS is filled with teams with good, tough players and coaches who have them playing with precision that equals anything in FBS.

Back