Weeks 0 and 1 in the FCS

Very weak crowd in Ruston. I actually have the radio broadcast and the announcers said they see better attendance in da Bayou and Ruston HS had a bigger crowd.

9-7 LA Tech up

Saturday is in the books.

Tommy Mellott had a serious looking injury when he was tackled scoring a TD to make it 31-0 early 4th Q. He walked off the field with the help of two trainers and it looked pretty bad.

Think I saw...5 safeties today? A lot of safeties. Most of them were because of punts that were downed inside of the 1 yard line and then the offense ran the ball out of the shotgun and RBs failed to get out on EZ.

It is nice when the hours upon hours upon hours that I spent looking these teams over turns into something good. Would've been really nice had Tenn Tech not allowed MTSU to score with :16 left for the win.

I haven't gone through box scores yet, but Iowa must've got like 5 turnovers, more?

Bucknell still has a pulse on O with Rucker at QB.

St Francis had several turnovers, 2 near the end of the game in Dayton territory as they were trying to comeback. Dayton made the plays, but I don't think Dayton is winning the Pioneer or anything.

Davidson just had an awful 2H. Well, a bad start then they played ok for the rest of the 1H, they actually threw an INT at the goal line with a few seconds left in the half when a TD would've given them the 1H lead. They could never really stop Georgetown and then the 2H that got worse. Georgetown was the only Patriot League team to win straight up week 1.

South Dakota State hasn't lost like that in a looonnnggg time.

Not sure who the QB was for Towson, it was not Kent. Remember reading that they brought in a transfer, former WCU QB. Must've been him. Towson was going to have a good O this year regardless, but they moved it and scored pretty good on Cincy (eyebrow raised).

Portland State, holy hell

ETSU gave it a game for a bit there. Team might be able to make some noise in the SoCon.

Very disappointed with Iowa State. First off, it hurts that North Dakota had a 23 play drive for I think it was, 16 minutes? Maybe 12 minutes. But like, hello, I need ISU with the ball please. Then at the end of the game, ISU kind of had a chance to score but would've needed a breakaway run or something. This game was probably the most upsetting to me today. That Iowa State wasn't better and I guess I will say that UND was better than I thought on D and even their O. They didn't score, not like I expected them to, but they possessed the ball. I thought they would just be a mess and ISU D would make them a mess. Didn't work out.

UC Davis, man. Not saying they should've won, but the way the 1H went. Missed an xpt that would've tied it, missed a FG, SOD from inside the 5...and it was just a 13-14 game at HT. Cal ran a KO back. It was like Davis was a completely different team in the 2H. 3 INTs, O couldn't do anything. At least they hung on for the cover, but, well that is how these games go sometimes. Like Idaho at Cal last year. Hang for a half and then it is lights out after halftime.

Speaking of Idaho! Wow. I assumed Oregon was going to be good, like some powerhouse or something. The line sure thought they were going to be. Idaho can play D with teams in their neighborhood, but man they punched above their weight today. That has to give them confidence.

Morgan and Hampton was way higher scoring than I thought it would be, but right team won. Hey Morgan has an offense! Hampton switched QBs, not sure if they benched Zellous or not, but the other guy, May or Mays, he was pretty good. QB controversy there maybe.

Didn't see any of SC State at FAMU, see it was close

Sacred Heart scored late and a 2pt conversion would've tied, but young QB didn't see his receiver, think a RB going out, was wide open and he was sacked instead. Delaware State hung on to win. Nice for them after the Hawaii travel debacle.

Oh damn, man I watched some of Samford at West Georgia...wow. That team played like their hair was on fire! Another game, Samford threw an INT in the EZ right before HT. But this time, WGU drove the ball out some and hit like a 50y hailmary as time expired in the half! In the 2H, WCU had to hang on a little bit as Samford was trying to get back in it. But man. They definitley cared a lot about this game today and Samford did not have the same level of execution or focus.

The Citadel was down pretty big, maybe like 17 or 20 pts and came back to win. Will have to check out how that happened.

Idaho State hung kind of tough. Might be an Oregon State issue.

Central Arkansas took the lead late, but then led Arkansas State score a TD with like :03 left. UCA can never win big games.

Looks like Albany has a Major correction happening. I kind of thought they'd be ok to roll vs Long Island. Kind of looks like they barely won.

Tennessee Tech - Middle Tenn is the game I just got down watching. Was delayed at the beginning like 3 hours because of weather. MTSU was up by 21 at one point. Tenn Tech took the lead with under 1min left but couldn't hold it. Tenn Tech started the JUCO QB, but he got injured, Potts played most of 3 quarters. He got better as the game went on.

Tarleton I think started Pete but quicking went to Greek. Not like he could do much vs Baylor either. Yikes, I think people are fawning over Finn, but man, he had a couple really ugly throws.

HC - URI was kind of boring until the last couple minutes. HC took a late lead then URI went down to score TD in final seconds to secure the win. Said I was kind of excited for that game, but I had no action on it so couldn't really fit it on the TVs much.

Feel like UIW should've or could've won by more than 21. 28-7 Final I kept checking on it and seems like they were on Northern Colorado's side of the field a lot. Box score will tell.

San Diego beat Cal Poly....LOL. Cal Poly

Hey, I think that McNeese benched McDowell in the first half. Sixkiller was in doing what he does, just wildly throwing inaccurately. But they put McDowell back in. Southern led 7-0 for a long time. Bad look McNeese! But a blk'd FG or something with a return and a botched punt put McNeese inside the 10 yard line...good thing because their offense couldn't get them there! They ended up winning 21-7 with all 21 pts coming in the 4th Q

Nicholls. Man. Well this was one of the safety games, the Nicholls punt returner fails to catch the ball, it bounces, LaTech downs it inside the 1 and what do you know, next play, safety. Really really rough day for Nicholls O. McQuad really struggled. LaTech's D, their credit, they really got after it. Good on them. Spears got hurt and it might be serious. Sucks. They were literally at the 1 yard line late 2Q and attempted a 17 yard FG, he missed it. They couldn't get in from the 1 on offense and they missed the FG. Kicker had missed another earlier in the half. Low scoring game, I could've used some of those pts for my 1H Nicholls +4 damn it. When I stopped paying attention Nicholls did score late and cut it to 8, so the +8.5 and 9.5s were happy then. Nicholls actually got the ball back very late with a chance to tie...but 3 or 4 straight incompletions.

Missouri State - Montana was a good game! Junior Bergen DNP. I had wanted to take Missouri State weeks ago, but thought the line would be like 20. I closed, I don't know maybe around 12? Well, for good reason, they were right there with the Griz. Griz started Ah Yat or however you spell it. His father is a Griz legend. They went over to Fife and Fife was better. Good game, Griz definitely had to earn it. Missouri State really doesn't have a bad team this year. Probably like 6-6 I guess in the Valley, but some of the Valley teams are down this year, they could even finish with a winning record.

Weber State on now. I'm not watching really.

Brings me back to the Tommy Mellot injury. Game 2. No Sean Chambers to bail them out. Guess we'll see how good this back up is.

Last edited:
Saturday is in the books.

Tommy Mellott had a serious looking injury when he was tackled scoring a TD to make it 31-0 early 4th Q. He walked off the field with the help of two trainers and it looked pretty bad.

Think I saw...5 safeties today? A lot of safeties. Most of them were because of punts that were downed inside of the 1 yard line and then the offense ran the ball out of the shotgun and RBs failed to get out on EZ.

It is nice when the hours upon hours upon hours that I spent looking these teams over turns into something good. Would've been really nice had Tenn Tech not allowed MTSU to score with :16 left for the win.

I haven't gone through box scores yet, but Iowa must've got like 5 turnovers, more?

Bucknell still has a pulse on O with Rucker at QB.

St Francis had several turnovers, 2 near the end of the game in Dayton territory as they were trying to comeback. Dayton made the plays, but I don't think Dayton is winning the Pioneer or anything.

Davidson just had an awful 2H. Well, a bad start then they played ok for the rest of the 1H, they actually threw an INT at the goal line with a few seconds left in the half when a TD would've given them the 1H lead. They could never really stop Georgetown and then the 2H that got worse. Georgetown was the only Patriot League team to win straight up week 1.

South Dakota State hasn't lost like that in a looonnnggg time.

Not sure who the QB was for Towson, it was not Kent. Remember reading that they brought in a transfer, former WCU QB. Must've been him. Towson was going to have a good O this year regardless, but they moved it and scored pretty good on Cincy (eyebrow raised).

Portland State, holy hell

ETSU gave it a game for a bit there. Team might be able to make some noise in the SoCon.

Very disappointed with Iowa State. First off, it hurts that North Dakota had a 23 play drive for I think it was, 16 minutes? Maybe 12 minutes. But like, hello, I need ISU with the ball please. Then at the end of the game, ISU kind of had a chance to score but would've needed a breakaway run or something. This game was probably the most upsetting to me today. That Iowa State wasn't better and I guess I will say that UND was better than I thought on D and even their O. They didn't score, not like I expected them to, but they possessed the ball. I thought they would just be a mess and ISU D would make them a mess. Didn't work out.

UC Davis, man. Not saying they should've won, but the way the 1H went. Missed an xpt that would've tied it, missed a FG, SOD from inside the 5...and it was just a 13-14 game at HT. Cal ran a KO back. It was like Davis was a completely different team in the 2H. 3 INTs, O couldn't do anything. At least they hung on for the cover, but, well that is how these games go sometimes. Like Idaho at Cal last year. Hang for a half and then it is lights out after halftime.

Speaking of Idaho! Wow. I assumed Oregon was going to be good, like some powerhouse or something. The line sure thought they were going to be. Idaho can play D with teams in their neighborhood, but man they punched above their weight today. That has to give them confidence.

Morgan and Hampton was way higher scoring than I thought it would be, but right team won. Hey Morgan has an offense! Hampton switched QBs, not sure if they benched Zellous or not, but the other guy, May or Mays, he was pretty good. QB controversy there maybe.

Didn't see any of SC State at FAMU, see it was close

Sacred Heart scored late and a 2pt conversion would've tied, but young QB didn't see his receiver, think a RB going out, was wide open and he was sacked instead. Delaware State hung on to win. Nice for them after the Hawaii travel debacle.

Oh damn, man I watched some of Samford at West Georgia...wow. That team played like their hair was on fire! Another game, Samford threw an INT in the EZ right before HT. But this time, WGU drove the ball out some and hit like a 50y hailmary as time expired in the half! In the 2H, WCU had to hang on a little bit as Samford was trying to get back in it. But man. They definitley cared a lot about this game today and Samford did not have the same level of execution or focus.

The Citadel was down pretty big, maybe like 17 or 20 pts and came back to win. Will have to check out how that happened.

Idaho State hung kind of tough. Might be an Oregon State issue.

Central Arkansas took the lead late, but then led Arkansas State score a TD with like :03 left. UCA can never win big games.

Looks like Albany has a Major correction happening. I kind of thought they'd be ok to roll vs Long Island. Kind of looks like they barely won.

Tennessee Tech - Middle Tenn is the game I just got down watching. Was delayed at the beginning like 3 hours because of weather. MTSU was up by 21 at one point. Tenn Tech took the lead with under 1min left but couldn't hold it. Tenn Tech started the JUCO QB, but he got injured, Potts played most of 3 quarters. He got better as the game went on.

Tarleton I think started Pete but quicking went to Greek. Not like he could do much vs Baylor either. Yikes, I think people are fawning over Finn, but man, he had a couple really ugly throws.

HC - URI was kind of boring until the last couple minutes. HC took a late lead then URI went down to score TD in final seconds to secure the win. Said I was kind of excited for that game, but I had no action on it so couldn't really fit it on the TVs much.

Feel like UIW should've or could've won by more than 21. 28-7 Final I kept checking on it and seems like they were on Northern Colorado's side of the field a lot. Box score will tell.

San Diego beat Cal Poly....LOL. Cal Poly

Hey, I think that McNeese benched McDowell in the first half. Sixkiller was in doing what he does, just wildly throwing inaccurately. But they put McDowell back in. Southern led 7-0 for a long time. Bad look McNeese! But a blk'd FG or something with a return and a botched punt put McNeese inside the 10 yard line...good thing because their offense couldn't get them there! They ended up winning 21-7 with all 21 pts coming in the 4th Q

Nicholls. Man. Well this was one of the safety games, the Nicholls punt returner fails to catch the ball, it bounces, LaTech downs it inside the 1 and what do you know, next play, safety. Really really rough day for Nicholls O. McQuad really struggled. LaTech's D, their credit, they really got after it. Good on them. Spears got hurt and it might be serious. Sucks. They were literally at the 1 yard line late 2Q and attempted a 17 yard FG, he missed it. They couldn't get in from the 1 on offense and they missed the FG. Kicker had missed another earlier in the half. Low scoring game, I could've used some of those pts for my 1H Nicholls +4 damn it. When I stopped paying attention Nicholls did score late and cut it to 8, so the +8.5 and 9.5s were happy then. Nicholls actually got the ball back very late with a chance to tie...but 3 or 4 straight incompletions.

Missouri State - Montana was a good game! Junior Bergen DNP. I had wanted to take Missouri State weeks ago, but thought the line would be like 20. I closed, I don't know maybe around 12? Well, for good reason, they were right there with the Griz. Griz started Ah Yat or however you spell it. His father is a Griz legend. They went over to Fife and Fife was better. Good game, Griz definitely had to earn it. Missouri State really doesn't have a bad team this year. Probably like 6-6 I guess in the Valley, but some of the Valley teams are down this year, they could even finish with a winning record.

Weber State on now. I'm not watching really.

Brings me back to the Tommy Mellot injury. Game 2. No Sean Chambers to bail them out. Guess we'll see how good this back up is.
Supposedly just cramps for Mellot, at least what they are saying for now. Still dumb to run him when the game was well in hand.

Man that Abilene Christian game was a fun one. Didn’t post the team total over I mentioned in your thread but was shocked to see it cash for me so early. 33.5pt underdogs so close to cashing (no I didn’t play the ML).

Supposedly just cramps for Mellot, at least what they are saying for now. Still dumb to run him when the game was well in hand.
Good. Hope it’s nothing then. Just looked bad.

Jack Layne left Oregon game late, like last couple plays with what looked like a possible throwing shoulder thing. Idaho coach said it was precaution to take him out and go to locker room early.

Man that Abilene Christian game was a fun one. Didn’t post the team total over I mentioned in your thread but was shocked to see it cash for me so early. 33.5pt underdogs so close to cashing (no I didn’t play the ML).

Just saw this final. Yeah wow

I'll flip over to week 2 later Monday.

Some things I came across:

Illinois State RB injury
...Mason King, ISU’s leading returning rusher and last year’s Missouri Valley Football Conference Newcomer of the Year, left the game with a lower-leg injury early in the second quarter.

According to Spack’s post-game radio comments, x-rays showed “there was nothing broken.”

The 16th-year ISU head coach added, “He’s been kind of off and on all fall. He’s been banged up, so I don’t know what his issue was,” Spack said, explaining that King suffered a bruise to the lower part of his leg.

Illinois State one of their two QBs injured

Rubley left the game with an injury to his left shoulder in the second half.

According to Spack, Rubley’s non-throwing shoulder had to be put back into place and he sat out the rest of the game as precaution.

“We’ll see where the quarterback deal goes,” Spack said.

Southern Illinois played at BYU without one of their top offensive players, TE Aidan Quinn, who may not return until later this season.

Delaware has a deep and experienced OL. One of their 5th year OL Brose DNP (speculation he may be taking a RS) and another one of their 5th year OL, Center Gingrich was injured on a play right before HT. Severity of injury unknown.

Hampton said that both Zellous and Mays were scheduled to play, Zellous wasn't necessarily benched as I mentioned.

Montana's Junior Bergen was out with an arm injury that saw him miss time during fall camp.

Merrimack QB was hurt on first series of the game at AF

Maine's leading WR from 2023, Joe Gillete DNP Friday

Starting Bucknell CB Aaron Davis was carried off the field on a stretcher

Missouri State injuries

"At the beginning of the week, we talked about how deep we were on the offensive line. We tested every bit of depth we brought to the game. It's unfortunate for those players. Justin Curtis is a bit hurt as well. We got beat up on the offensive line. That's a testament on those young guys who haven't played much football who did some good things and we'll hopefully grow with that."

Their 2023 starting RT Cade did not travel, his replacement Loazia was injured at Montana. And they lost their only '23 All MVFC recognized OL Lillibridge during the game who was in a boot 4Q.

Some of Saturday night’s FCS losses to FBS opponents were excruciating.

Central Arkansas went ahead in the final minute at Arkansas State only to have the Red Wolves score with three seconds left and escape with a 34-31 victory. Bears running back ShunDerrick Powell was sensational with 226 yards from scrimmage (176 rushing and two TDs; 50 more on three receptions) and a 29-yard pass.

At Texas Tech, Abilene Christian forced overtime with a late field goal, but fell 52-51 in the extra session when it went for the win and was denied on a two-point attempt. Maverick McIvor was a top gun behind center, completing 36 of 51 passes for 506 yards and three TDs.

Tennessee Tech rallied from a 21-0 deficit to take a late lead at Middle Tennessee, but the Blue Raiders converted a fourth down on their ensuing seven-play drive to score a go-ahead touchdown with 16 seconds left and claim a 32-25 victory. Jordyn Potts had three TD passes in coach Bobby Wilder’s debut as TTU’s coach.

It was quite an opening week for comeback wins by struggling Southern Conference squads. The Citadel, which was winless last season, scored the final 19 points for a 22-21 victory at Charleston Southern – the first for second-year coach Maurice Drayton. Garrison Johnson scored from one yard out with 1:55 left before Ben Barnes kicked the decisive PAT. Also, Wofford scored 10 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to win 21-20 at defending Big South-OVC co-champ Gardner-Webb. Bridger Jones’ 45-yard field goal with 5:50 to go provided the game-winning points.

Score one for the San Diego secondary – or two. The unit scored on a pair of pick-sixes – Trey Ortega on a 38-yard return and Matt Ballentine from 40 yards out – to fuel a 27-21 win over Cal Poly. Eric Haney, also a defensive back, added a third interception in the win.

St. Thomas was stunned by Division II Sioux Falls 34-13, ending the Tommies’ 31-game home winning streak since 2017. Sioux Falls, which was a mere 3-7 last season, scored twice on two-point conversions – once offensively and once defensively by returning a St. Thomas attempt. Since joining the FCS in 2021, the Tommies are 21-3 in Pioneer Football League games, but only 4-5 out of league, and they next host Northern Iowa, which won 44-3 in their previous matchup three years ago.

Back