2017 Trade Deadline and Summer Thread...News/Rumors etc

It is aggravating observing this NBA season with the knowledge that the Warriors and Cavs are oligarchs and everything else is the undercard. What are the stakes? Consequently, basketball figures from the past have criticized the players involved for forming “super teams,” conveniently forgetting that this has been the lay of the land for quite some time.
Charles Barkley sounds like a broken record about this, even though he joined Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon in Houston, where they were later joined by Scottie Pippen.

The latest to take a shot (more implied than explicit) at the LeBron’s and Durant’s of the world is Jerry Krause, the architect of the 1990s Bulls dynasty.
Krause said on Woj’s podcast (as transcribed by PBT):
But I will say one thing for Michael Jordan … never came to me and asked for other players. He never came to me and asked me to draft a player. Never came to me and asked to trade for a player. Never once did that happen. Part of it was he thought he was so darn good he could win without ’em … He understood what we had to do as an organization.
Frankly, the idea that MJ was always satisfied with his supporting cast is patently untrue. In the late 1980s, he had no answer for the Bad Boy Pistons. Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer, Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, and John Salley bruised and battered him en route to three consecutive playoff exits. Jordan did not sit idly by and expect his front office to make things better without his input.
In The Jordan Rules, Sam Smith noted the following:

• Jordan was dismayed in 1987 when the Bulls drafted Brad Sellers over Johnny Dawkins: “Jordan believed that Dawkins would be the choice, and he had told Dawkins so in pickup games they played in North Carolina. So when the Bulls skipped Dawkins for Sellers, Jordan felt embarrassed.”
  • Jordan “lobbied extensively during the 1988-89 season for a trade that would bring New Jersey’s Buck Williams to the Bulls. Jordan didn’t particularly care for Horace Grant, Krause’s other pick in the 1987 Draft, never believing Grant would develop into a responsible player, and lobbied hard for Williams.”
  • Jordan “never cared for the [Charles] Oakley – [Bill] Cartwright trade … and he began to wonder more and more whether the Bulls were serious about winning or whether they merely wanted to keep the Stadium filled.”
  • Jordan had reservations about Toni Kukoc, supposedly telling friends: “Wait until he gets an elbow from Laimbeer. He won’t be going to the basket again. I know he looks good, but that’s against college players. He has no idea what the NBA is all about.”
Jordan specifically coveted free agent Walter Davis during the 1990 offseason, and some combination of Krause, owner Jerry Reinsdorf, and Jordan failed to land him.
In a May 1991 story for USA Today, Peter Vecsey wrote:
Less than three months ago, Michael Jordan and those of us in the media who worship at the few remaining follicles of Air Supremacy, regularly rebuked Bulls GM Jerry Krause for failing to measure the bench to title specifications.
Krause felt his offseason pickups of Dennis Hopson and Cliff Levingston upgraded Chicago from a perennial Eastern Conference runner-up to an authentic title contender.
Both Jordan and Krause were wrong, one louder than the other. But who’s quibbling about amplification?
So what if management didn’t adhere to Air Supremacy’s public outcry for Walter Davis or LaSalle Thompson? So what if Levingston and Hopson are coach Phil Jackson’s 10th and 11th men? All that’s supposed to count is the Bulls are undefeated and nearly unscored upon in the playoffs and, considering the injuries plaguing Detroit and Boston, almost a lock to reach the Finals.
From a December 1991 story in the Oklahoman:
After learning that NBA veteran and former North Carolina Tar Heel Walter Davis had been traded to Portland and not the Bulls, Jordan responded before a game against the Nets. “As soon as we get back, I’m calling (Jerry) Reinsdorf. Krause has messed everything up again. He can’t do anything. ” (Two days later before practice, Jordan took off after Krause again. “If I were general manager, we’d be a better team. “)
The story continued:
“I figured I’d try to put the pressure on him to do something about Krause,” Jordan said about his first volley of remarks after the team returned from New Jersey in late January. His eyes were hard and cold as he spoke. “This thing isn’t over. I’m gonna get that guy fired yet. ” Reinsdorf called Jordan and asked him to come over to his North Shore home just before the team left for San Antonio. It was the first time Reinsdorf had ever invited a player to his home.
Reinsdorf recognized that Krause had weaknesses, he told Jordan, but he believed Krause had done an adequate job. “We are in first place,” he said. “Jerry’s done some good things. He got Scottie (Pippen) and Horace (Grant) in the draft and he got us a center (Bill Cartwright). ” Reinsdorf knew Krause could be annoying with his secretive ways, and he knew he wasn’t the ideal person to represent the team in public. But he liked Krause’s moxie. And the team was winning. So what was the problem?
Jordan insisted that Krause was incapable of making any but the draft-choice deals he’d made, that his lack of personal skills kept him from making serious deals and getting players who could already have helped the Bulls win a title. He wasn’t a good judge of talent, Jordan said. The Bulls should have a former player as general manager.
Anyways: Even with LeBron fast on his tail, Michael Jordan remains the greatest player in NBA history. Nevertheless, let’s stop acting like he never wanted or needed any help.

Cramps says that report from the Post was trash but do we honestly believe anything LeBron says...

Birdman and Cash to the Hornets...

Andersen, 38, suffered a season-ending injury in December, when he tore his right ACL. Signed in the offseason to provide depth at the big-man position, Andersen played in 12 games this season, averaging 2.3 points and 2.6 rebounds.
Cleveland also receives a 2017 second-round pick from Charlotte that is top-55 protected, a league source told ESPN.
In a subsequent move, the Hornets immediately announced that they had waived Andersen. They also signed center Mike Tobey to a second 10-day contract.
Charlotte will net several hundred thousand dollars in the deal, a league source told ESPN.
By opening up a roster spot, the Cavs believe they will have opportunities to be the third team in a three-team trade.
The Cavs have been open about trying to find an additional point guard or rim protector to steel their squad for a potential third straight trip to the NBA Finals.
Swingman Derrick Williams, signed to a 10-day contract last week, has impressed so much that LeBron James has advocated for keeping him "long term," but he offers a separate skill set than what a point guard or big man would provide.

That's huge for toronto, Ibaka fills a lot of needs andnthey gave up nothing really

Shocked Patterson or poetl didn't have to go back I have no clue what Orlando is doing turning Oladipo into Ross and pick 23 in the draft

They have so many options now when Pat gets back with him, Ibaka, JV up front. Demarre too at 4 in small ball

Norm can take any backcourt minutes from ross and he's a better player imo

I guess Orlando pushing this as getting anything for Ibaka as an FA and t Ross does give them some shooting, I'm just surprised they didn't get more

K love getting that scope too, Masai like a viper smelling blood in the water

East top 4 should be great this year, when's the last time that happened

With this Love injury, the Cavs might have a week or two to get their ideal playoff roster some reps before the first round tips off.

If I'm Ainge, I'm getting a little more motivated to cash in some of these chips for Jimmy Butler. Odds of this year's BK pick becoming a player as good as him are slim even if you're incredibly high on any of these college guys, Cleveland is ripe for the picking with all of these Lebron minutes but the only team that could possibly be good enough in the East is Boston with Jimmy imo.

Would guess the Wiz make a small move to upgrade somewhere along their bench too. Nothing gigantic, i.e. a 2nd rounder for Brandon Jennings - just something that adds an NBA player to their rotation since Trey Burke isn't one.

Agreed Mike, just based on Bird's public comments doesn't sound like a phone call he's willing to entertain right now.

They don't have a significant trade to make unless it involves Love, which is now impossible due to his injury.

Unless they've found a third team that can chip in real pieces for Melo, no big deal can happen there imo.

Ibaka to raps for Ross

Ibaka does nothing for me. 6'10" guy who stays outside, maybe if he gets back to swatting shots its a good deal

Ibaka to raps for Ross

Ibaka does nothing for me. 6'10" guy who stays outside, maybe if he gets back to swatting shots its a good deal

Needs to be a defensive force. Not sure his spring is still there.

But a good fit if it works out.

Ibaka gives the raptors the ability to stretch the floor and open up space for Val. Good move.

masai is in my top 3 favorite GMs in the league.

Still think the Raptors need to pick up some scoring depth off the bench - those nights when either DeRozan or Lowry are off tend to be pretty long...

Boston next domino to fall, wonder who Ainge ends up grabbing

Where the hell was he on Ibaka ?

WTF is going on in Orlando ? They aren't even getting the better of the 2 first round picks the Raptors have lmao...Don't forget they threw in a first rounder along w/ Oladipo (and Ilyasova) to acquire Ibaka and that picked turned into Sabonis.

Not exactly the playmaker LeBron wants

Lakers need to get rid of Lou cause he wins them a game here or there and they have to get that top ,3 pick or this year is a disaster

Where the hell was he on Ibaka ?

WTF is going on in Orlando ? They aren't even getting the better of the 2 first round picks the Raptors have lmao...Don't forget they threw in a first rounder along w/ Oladipo (and Ilyasova) to acquire Ibaka and that picked turned into Sabonis.

Oddd, odd odd down there.

At least he doesn't have to fly back to Cali

Boogie traded to the pelicans for Buddy and draft picks

Literally laughing at the thought of Gentry trying to coach cousins. What a disaster this is gonna be

Once again: BUDDY HIELD, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, one future first-round pick & one future second for DeMarcus Cousins, sources say

Back