WNBA Introduction...

redbearde

Pretty much a regular
It seems I'm not alone in having an interest in betting the WNBA while also having absolutely zero experience with it.

obviously wnba.com is a start for someone like me...for a couple rule changes and other notes about this season, this link might be of some interest.

There are a few rule changes designed to make the game even more exciting for fans, including changing the backcourt rule to eight seconds rather than 10 seconds. Head coaches can now call time outs and teams can now carry 13 players on their playoff rosters (11 active) just like the regular season.

And there are almost certainly general trends some of you may have noticed over the last few years. Something not unlike noticing, perhaps, that elimination games in the NBA trend strongly to the under. Blitz, Rod, IC...anything remotely like that you guys have noticed?

IC remarked that the teams who are supposed to win pretty much just do, and the question is do they cover or not......leads me to think my preferred ML strategy won't work out so well.

Do the beavers tend toward shooting 3s?
Do the beavers beat shit out of each other inside?
Do they run (or is it just Phoenix Furries?)?
Do they fight?
Is there a technical foul target like Rasheed Wallace?

Seattle seems to have some international players - is this the Spurs-like franchise of the WNBA?

Is it really just pro basketball with tits (other than Shaq's), or do they play substantially different?

Official Rulebook may be found here. I don't see anything that's different. Is there something?

When you beaver boys who've been doing this a few years have some time, I'd really appreciate a bit of an introduction to the bitch association. And most importantly, what questions *should* I be asking about this league, and of course, what're the answers?

thanks for your time, gentlemen.

Do the beavers tend toward shooting 3s?

Good Teams do it more than just occasionally to get ahead and bad teams do it more than just occasionally to come from behind... lol...

seriously though.. there are plenty of threes that go around.

Do the beavers beat shit out of each other inside?

most teams that don't have a good frontcourt will get burned inside alot... specially when playing a good team.. or at least one with a great player.

Do they run (or is it just Phoenix Furries?)?

is this the same question for NBA too??... oh yea.. you have to throw Dallas in there for NBA huh?..

seriously though, some of the good teams can run, but nobody does it like the Phoenix bunch...

Do they fight?

I wish... lol.

:pillow:

Is there a technical foul target like Rasheed Wallace?

not exactly targets, but definitely some bad girls out there... you can probably throw in the entire Detroit team into that list... just like in the NBA.. haha.

Seattle seems to have some international players - is this the Spurs-like franchise of the WNBA?

I was actually going to throw out a thread just on this one point, but never got around to it... the way I see it, the Storm is almost identical to the Spurs. Most of the starters are not american and have similar quality talent at the respective positions. Which is why I can see them making a run for things this year. Sue Bird (who is on the All-Decade team plays the Parker role. She will get you about 12-15 pts a game and about 5 assists per game. Not to mention her no look passes. Add her experience and leadership and how she can read the court, and you have a similar player to Parker. LJ (Lauren Jackson also on the All-Decade Team) plays the Duncan Role... she's the go-to girl in the forward position who averages between 17-22 pts per game and can give you between 7-12 boards a game... alot of double-doubles from her... I'm not going to go into a longer writeup to bore you any more than I have to so, just trust me when I say the teams are very similar.. from the center to the sixth man... and I like they way you mentioned that... good eye.

Is it really just pro basketball with tits (other than Shaq's), or do they play substantially different?

They do play much different in the sense that.. just like all women.. they are unpredictable and you never know what you're gonna get... lol... actually, they are probably easier to read.

answered what I could in red, red..

red, red.. haha... I like that.

anyway... give it a go and try your luck with it.. I'm sure you'll get to liking it soon enough...

I remember when I first got into this, I didn't know what the hell I was doing, but the best advice I can give now is watch as many games as you can and familiarize yourself with the players and the teams as much as you can... learn their style of play and how they handle matchups... betting wise, it's all the same techniques used for NBA or NFL or any other sport.... the more you learn, the more you know.

You are right in saying WNBA.com is a great place to start. It has alot of updates and info, but their power rankings and opinions on teams only go so far... but then again, that's for NBA.com and NFL.com and every other sport .com too... lol.. so I would just say watch the games and learn. In time, you will know who is who and what is what just like everything else.

I hope you join us and give it a go bud...

:cheers:

One thing you will notice is that unlike their male counterparts, these girls can actually make a free throw!!

Blitz did a great job of explaining this.

I will note this about the wnba in my years of capping:

The games late will get pushed over b/c as Rod said, these ladies make their free throws. They are not like some of the men in the nba who tank games late. These women actually know how to finish the job. :smiley_acbe:

This also means that teams who lead late, typically win late as well and power rankings is a huge consideration in the wnba.

I have the Monarchs, Sparks, Shock and Fever as my top 4 teams to ride this year personally. In particular, I am a huge fan of the Fever and their style of play. Also, watch for the sun as well for power ranking against weaker teams in the league and as a final note, fade the mercury when they hit the road as they are the public team of this league.

Best of luck bro, i am devoting myself to the beaver and baseball this summer, maybe canadian football, but this is pretty much my fun for the summer - :smiley_acbe:

thanks for all the responses guys!

good to know there are SOME professionals out there who reliably manage to make FTs.

if you see any total of 130 or higher when Indiana plays, just hit the under. Very rare to see that mark when they play though, but they have been a very solid defensive team for the past few seasons. Usually around 100 points in each game they play.

I agree about Indiana being a great defensive team, and I haven't checked to see how many unders they hit when the line was over 130 yet, but I did notice that 26 games out of the 34 went over 130 pts in 06'.... but like I said, I haven't checked the lines or the previous seasons before that yet... plus I also think some of those were under 135 for sure... so still a good observation Mike... good heads up.

For this season, I believe the Mystics will be cash money when it comes to 'overs' - team is stacked with shooters. Liberty are another team that I believe once they get fully in sync with respect to their new roster could put up some big numbers given the number of perimter shooters they have in their team.

The Mercury as Blitz mentioned are the main run n' gun team but you lose value with them in terms of totals IMO because they are generally set at 170+. That's not to say they still won't put up big numbers to cover the total, but you basically have to pick your sports with them a bit more.

T-mike nailed it with the Fever as well, defense, defense and more defense. Catchings who I rate as the best player in the league just ahead of LJ is so hard to beat in the paint for opposing offenses, she is so damn good. :cheers:

I have the Monarchs, Sparks, Shock and Fever as my top 4 teams to ride this year personally. In particular, I am a huge fan of the Fever and their style of play. Also, watch for the sun as well for power ranking against weaker teams in the league and as a final note, fade the mercury when they hit the road as they are the public team of this league.

I'm with you with your top 4 except I have the Storm instead of the Sparks this season.

:smiley_acbe:

Mercury are a damn good over team, Taurasi!!!! She's a baller, i'd do that BBW up the arse!

Another suggestion would be to usually wait 3 games into the season. Its very difficult to read the consistency with the WNBA. There is usually one team that is an extremely good fade, trying to figure if Chicago are still crap or not.

I honestly think this year the Phoenix Mercury make a good run at it. Detroit is still a hit or miss for me, they can play like champs one minute and look like complete ass the next, so i try to usually avoid betting on them.

I do enjoy halftime betting though, it is VERY similar to college bball, the 2H overs are usually a gimme when its a tight encounter, lots of pussy fouls in the final 2 minutes plus the girls can make their FTs.

To sum up a few things...

-The girls can make FTs. No Ben Wallaces here.
-Power Rankings are damned important.
-Indiana plays defense defense defense. Totals in the 130s often lead to unders.
-The Mystics are stacked with shooters. Perhaps the Mercury have some run & gun partners this year.
-Taurasi needs an anal pounding from Mike.
-Detroit can be hit or miss.....they are consistently inconsistent.
- 2H overs are good bets, especially with the female FT shooting ability.

BAR is right.

goodthread.gif

Here is another summary.

I think it is a total joke that you can bet on a sport where me and four friends could mop up the court with the best five women in the world.

Give me that small ball and two weeks to get used to it and I would shoot 55 percent from three-point range.

THAT SAID...

I am also working in this business and I've learned just how important MONEY IS...

There is no sport bookmakers fear more than the WNBA.

Why?

The lines suck.

The limits are low.

Some people ONLY bet that. They, by the way... ALWAYS win.

I am now officially getting involved head-first as a bettor this year.

I am way behind and I have a lot to learn. I am going to tail CTG's finest for a few games before I start really firing away.

I tailed on Indiana UNDER (looked good at half, then MIN stopped guarding the Pacers) the first game. Loser.

I tailed on Seattle -7. Winner.

I tailed on Sacto -3 yesterday. Winner.

You don't have to ask me who I tailed. Thumb through the threads and see which guys were betting those sides. Those guys are highly recommended to tail in this sport. Even if you don't do your own work - they do it for you (LOL)...

REMEMBER - THE MOST IMPORTANT THING.... ALWAYS GET THE BEST OF THE LINE.

If a poster here goes UNDER 140 and the total you see after reading the thread is 136 - then you have no bet. The lines move quite heavily in the bitchball. I move it 2 full points off one guy who only bets me WNBA totals. He is going to beat my brains in - but I can earn off him by getting buy-backs....

GL!

Back