Western Conference Playoff Possibilities

JPicks

Pretty much a regular
Honestly need some help here. I'm sure I could figure most of this out via the net but I'm not really interested in searching when I have you guys.

Lakers beat the Kings and they have the #1 seed? I can't confirm this as if the Hornets win out they'll be tied with the Lakers but I've seen posts that indicate the Lakers would get the #1 seed. True or false?

Hornets win out and they will have the #2 seed? Obviously they won't fall to the 3 it's just a matter of wether they can get the #1 seed. Obviously they have a tough last game against Dallas that Dallas has to win to avoid the Lakers? I'm sure they'd rather play the Hornets than the Lakers if the Lakers would indeed get the #1 seed.

The #3 seed belongs to Utah or San Antonio. ESPN has the Spurs locked into the #3 seed but they're wrong. If Utah beats the Spurs then they will get the 3 seed. They haven't won there since '99 so it's doubtful that it'll happen, but still a bit premature of the AP/ESPN to say they locked it up already. If the Spurs do lose I'm not sure where they fall to. Again what I'm looking for from CTG. They're 2-2 vs. Houston and 1-3 vs PHO this year so a 3 way tie would be extremely confusing. Actually it'd be a 4 way tie with Utah but they have the tiebreaker according to this article:

Based on Siler's research a few paragraphs above, if those four teams end up 55-27, after the tie-breaks have been applied, the Lakers and Hornets would be followed in the third through sixth spots in the West with:
  • Jazz
  • Suns
  • Rockets
  • Spurs
I mean this shit is conusing as hell. Jazz would be a #3 seed playing the #6 seed Spurs and the Suns would host the Rockets in the 4/5 matchup.

At 7 and 8 would be Denver and Dallas. If Dallas knocks off the Hornets they would end up with the 7 seed. If they happen to lose they would be tied with the Nuggets (if the Nuggets take care of Memphis) and would lose the tiebreaker as they are 1-2 vs the Nuggets this year.

I could be wrong on many thoughts in this thread and wherever I'm wrong I'd appreciate somebody correcting them. Bottom line is that Wednesday will be the craziest day ever in the wild, wild West.

i have no idea either. could of sworn if jazz win and i think they will vs san an they are 3 and san an the 5.

i suggest calling the suns front office b/c they want no part of jazz.

i have no idea either. could of sworn if jazz win and i think they will vs san an they are 3 and san an the 5.

i suggest calling the suns front office b/c they want no part of jazz.

Well according to the above mentioned article if the Jazz beat the Spurs, Houston beats the Clipps and and the Suns beat the Trailblazers then it'll be a 4 way tie with the Jazz/Spurs and Suns/Rockets meating up. Funny thing is I'm sure the Jazz would rather play the Suns or the Rockets, but I don't get the feeling that they would lose HC in the first round to avoid the Spurs. I'll definitely be reading every local article I can find tomorrow to try and find an angle.

2nd half betting on Wednesday could provide some crazy #'s. That's why I'm trying to figure this stuff out now. Imagine Utah losing to SAN just prior to the Suns tipping off and the Suns knowing if they lose they get to play the Spurs rather than the Jazz. Talk about a line swing. I could see the Suns benching the entire team 10 minutes before tip.

jazz def know suns shitting their pants about possibly playing em 1R. let me know what you find.

lakers own the tie breaker with us so yes they'd be the #1 if they win.

we have to win out and they have to lose for us to get the #1.

bananadance.gif

In the case of the 3 way tie, I think it would go to the best conference record or division record.

From yahoo sports (go here for more info):

• The Lakers can clinch the No. 1 seed in the West if they beat the Kings (10:30 ET).
• The Hornets can clinch the division title and at worst the No. 2 seed if they beat the Clippers (8 ET).

WESTERN CONFERENCE

• 1. Lakers – Have clinched Pacific Division title and will be No. 1 or 2 seed.

• Clinch No. 1 seed with win or Hornets loss.

• 2. Hornets – Will be No. 1 through 3 seed.

• Clinch No. 1 seed with two wins and Lakers loss.

• Clinch No. 2 seed and Southwest Division title with win or Spurs loss.

• 3. Spurs – Will be No. 2 through 6 seed.

• Clinch No. 2 seed and Southwest Division title with win and two Hornets losses.

• Clinch No. 3 seed with win.

• Clinch No. 4 seed with Suns loss.

• Clinch No. 5 seed with Rockets loss.

• 4. Jazz – Have clinched Northwest Division title and will be No. 2, 3, or 4 seed.

• Clinch No. 2 seed with win and two Hornets losses.

• Clinch No. 3 seed with win.

• 5. Rockets – Will be No. 5 or 6 seed.

• Clinch No. 5 seed and home-court advantage in first round with win and Jazz loss.

• Clinch No. 5 seed with win or Suns loss.

• 6. Suns – Will be No. 4 through 6 seed.

• Clinch No. 4 seed with win and Spurs loss.

• Clinch No. 5 seed with win and Rockets loss.

• 7. Mavericks – Will be No. 7 or 8 seed.

• Clinch No. 7 seed with win or Nuggets loss.

• 8. Nuggets – Will be No. 7 or 8 seed.

• Clinch No. 7 seed with win and Mavericks loss.

One would think the Mavs would love to play the Hornets in rd 1 meaning their game against them on the final day @ home will be one where they might go hard to win.

This Shit Is Crazy!! All I Can Say. Anything Going On In The East? No Way The East Sucks. So Does The Alien.

DETROIT needs 1 win to have home court if they reach the finals.
(don't bet nothing yet for awhile - the line is going down)

i will rooting hard for the Jazz, I have a 14-1 future ticket to win the western conference and a 28-1 tik for the championship.

Of course if the Hornets lose to the Clipps tonight then we have an entirely different scenario. Lakers may take it really easy tonight with a Hornets loss. (Not that I think it will happen)

Houston will definitely play hard vs. the Clips. They have to figure there's a decent chance they can win home court tomorrow, plus the Clips are just that bad.

Utah is in a very interesting spot. I'm sure the Spurs would like to win to maintain home court in the first round. Does Utah try to beat the Spurs and risk meeting them again in Round 1 (with home court), or lose and face the Rockets without home court?

Phoenix starts a half hour after Spurs-Jazz, so I'm not sure they'll have to make any first half adjustments, but the second half could be meaningless if the Spurs and Rockets both win. Portland will likely be playing for a winning season, their first since 2002-2003. And since they basically have a lottery pick waiting in the wings in Greg Oden, they have little incentive to lose.

A Houston-San Antonio-Portland teaser would be an interesting play.

Back