Trent Richardson to Colts

i think it's terrible they quit on the season after week 2 when they have some talent and every team in this division has issues. each of the next 4 games for cleveland was winnable in my opinion.

that being said, the trade isn't bad. the RB position is higly overrated and they got a nice draft pick in return. they apparently are loaded with draft picks now if they assume they weren't going to compete this season (i wouldn't assume that), they are set up pretty well for the future.

but i still think it's terrible to tank your season in week 3. it's not like they are in the NFC West.

on the bright side, they still have a better backfied than pittsburgh.

I don't really like the trade....T-Rich is a really good back. You essentially get a do-over I guess?

Just doesn't make much sense to me. Unless they think Indy sucks too....IDK

2 first rounders is nice tho

The Browns could well fuck up the pick coming back, but T-Rich was the #3 overall pick in the draft. His prowess as the team's best receiver aside, he's never had a game looking like one of the best, run-over-you-or run-around-you running backs in the league. He's had plays like that, but not games like that. He was dinged up last year, but now we're a couple games in this year, and this front office wasn't married to him ... I can see it. Unlike pretty much any other position, when you have a good NFL running back, you know pretty early. It's a pretty weird move. I was going to ask you guys how often a starting running back makes a lateral move to another team like this and gets better, but I can't really think of any comparable examples.

sure cleveland will probably fuck it up, but in theory, unless you have a RB who can do it all, like Martin, or a guy who is just a special runner like AP, RB's are expendable and if a team will give you excessive value in return i'd say do it. but not when he's probably your best offensive player and it's week 3.

Dont forget clowns traded draft picks with vikings to move up to draft Trich. I believe Vikings got 2 pro bowlers out of it.

Dont forget clowns traded draft picks with vikings to move up to draft Trich. I believe Vikings got 2 pro bowlers out of it.

That's the beauty of overhauling the front office every couple years. Almost as if it never happened.

so what if they got 2, 1st round picks next year! They had that when they drafted Richardson and Weeden...both pretty much done here after a year...smh!

Just horrible.

Season ticket holders, if there are any, I'd ask get a petition to get my $$ back. They basically are showing that they gave up for the year already!!

Kiper says Browns won this deal and it wasn't even close.

7 picks now in the first 4 rounds of the 2014 draft for Cleveland.

Who says they are tanking for Bridgewater, because he is hardly a can't miss prospect. He isn't even one of the top 2 qb's right now in cfb.

The Weeden pick is worse IMO, he was 28 damn years old when drafted him; of course he looked good at OSU throwing against guys a decade younger.

How much worse are the Browns this year with McGahee as the feature back? Not much.

Silky is spot on, never spend a 1st on a RB unless you already have the QB and WR in place. It's Jimmy Johnson's Law of Triplets.

First round draft philosophy cheat sheet:

A) Take 'em early and often

QB, OT, DL, CB

B) If you see value in a cant miss star (think Polamalu)

LB, S

C) Late in the round and you've got quality on your roster at the positions above

WR, TE, RB, C-G

D) otherwise trade down

If they are tanking specifically for a shot to get Bridgewater, Browns fans are going to continue to be miserable for the foreseeable future. I remain unconvinced that Teddy, playing a cupcake schedule for both years of college, is capable of playing in the NFL at a high level. You are essentially trading away a guy who you know to be a good pro football player for the chance to draft a guy who is a big question mark because he will not have played against a truly good defense once in his college career. Bad business.

Think he only has one or two runs over 20 yards in his career so far (18 games, minus one or two missed to injury last year), so he looks to be more of a plow horse than a dynamic, big-play guy ... we shall see. This year anyway, the Browns kind of abandoned him prior to twenty touches for some reason even though they were in both games, leading both at half. He couldn't shake loose and they would just seem to tire of getting 3 yards a pop, so they would switch it up and bounce fastballs off wide receivers' hands for a change of pace.

just read that cleveland has already paid about 70% of richardson's salary so Indy gets him for 3 years for 30% of his contract price.

First round draft philosophy cheat sheet:

A) Take 'em early and often

QB, OT, DL, CB

B) If you see value in a cant miss star (think Polamalu)

LB, S

C) Late in the round and you've got quality on your roster at the positions above

WR, TE, RB, C-G

D) otherwise trade down

Tend to agree with nearly everything here but I think you're grossly undervaluing WR, especially in today's NFL. Off the top of my head Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Fitzgerald, Julio Jones were unquestionably worth their spots.

Tend to agree with nearly everything here but I think you're grossly undervaluing WR, especially in today's NFL. Off the top of my head Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Fitzgerald, Julio Jones were unquestionably worth their spots.
Cle passed on Julio to get picks to package for trich lol...but the got phil taylor!

Yeah I can see that. That's probably more a B spot.

Cleveland is going to package all 7 of those first 4 round picks and trade them to the Pats for Tom Brady. Pats will then turn those 7 picks into 19 5th round picks for the next 5 drafts

Colts fill specific needs with Richardson
By ESPN Stats & Information
Ron Schwane/USA TODAY Sports
Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Trent Richardson has reason to smile, as he's headed to a division-title contender. The Indianapolis Colts made a bold move on Wednesday night, trading their first-round pick in 2014 to the Cleveland Browns for running back Trent Richardson, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. The Colts now have two of the top three players selected in that draft in Richardson and quarterback Andrew Luck. They’ll look to improve on an attack that averages 3.9 yards per rush since the start of last season, 23rd-best in the NFL. One spot above them: Richardson’s former team, the Browns.

Filling needs
How will Richardson most help the Colts beyond the basic answer of leading the running game?

Goal-to-go

Richardson has scored eight rushing touchdowns in goal-to-go situations in his NFL career, fifth-most since the start of last season. The Colts' best goal-to-go rusher during that time has been Luck, whose five touchdowns match the total from the Colts' running backs combined.

Catching the ball

Richardson's 58 receptions since the start of his rookie year in 2012 are tied for the fifth-most by a running back during that time.
Colts' running backs have caught the fewest passes in the NFL over that same time. Richardson has 418 receiving yards since the start of the 2012 season, more than Donald Brown and Ahmad Bradshaw combined (364).

Pass Protection

Since the start of 2012 with Richardson on the field, Browns quarterbacks were sacked on 4.8 percent of dropbacks. With Richardson off the field, Browns quarterbacks were sacked on 9.4 percent of dropbacks. Colts quarterbacks have been sacked on 6.2 percent of dropbacks since the start of last season, the ninth-highest rate in the league.

Room for improvement

Richardson has only two 20-plus yard rush plays on his 298 career rushes. Of the 25 running backs with at least 200 rushes the last two seasons, only Mikel Leshoure has fewer 20-yard plays than Richardson. Richardson has averaged 1.6 rushing yards after contact in his NFL career, 21st among the 50 running backs with 100 rushes the last two seasons. Richardson averaged 2.8 rushing yards after contact his last season at Alabama.

Did you know?

Since 1980 the Browns have drafted five running backs in the first round. Not one rushed for 1,000 yards in a season with Cleveland. The last Browns first-round running back to rush for 1,000 yards was Mike Pruitt (drafted in 1976). The last running back that Cleveland drafted in any round that ran for 1,000 yards in a season with the team was Earnest Byner (drafted in 1984, ran for 1,002 yards in 1985). Since Byner, the Browns have drafted 18 running backs and not one rushed for 1,000 yards in a season with them. This is an unusual trade in this regard: The Elias Sports Bureau notes that Richardson joins defensive lineman John Matuszak as the only players since the NFL merger to be drafted within the top three picks, play their first season with the team that drafted them, and then play for another team the following season.

I'm no expert, but I think T-Rich was extremely weak at protecting the passer. Those stats don't tell the whole story. Two coaching staffs must agree, because he's often not on the field on 3rd down with a single back, nor in 4th quarter catch-up mode. He came out of Alabama advertised as a good blocker, but he hasn't shown it.

Think Byner and Mack BOTH rushed for nearly 1000 in '86 or '87 or both years. The lose-to-Elway years. Just going by memory.

Well, I'm just sighing over this one now. No big deal this year, team is not trying to win games in 2012. T-Rich was at least a little bit of a disappointment here. No guarantee they turn this pick into anything, but might as well try. I think Lombardi & Banner's war room skills are pretty questionable. (But Mingo looks good.)

Would anyone, anyone so looking for a QB bypass the QB's in this draft and go Clowney, just on beastiness, if they happen to land the first pick? It's a deep draft, but Andrew Luck isn't in this draft. I might go Clowney given the opportunity. And they might get it, because Jax might not win a game and go QB.

Well, I'm just sighing over this one now. No big deal this year, team is not trying to win games in 2012. T-Rich was at least a little bit of a disappointment here. No guarantee they turn this pick into anything, but might as well try. I think Lombardi & Banner's war room skills are pretty questionable. (But Mingo looks good.)

Would anyone, anyone so looking for a QB bypass the QB's in this draft and go Clowney, just on beastiness, if they happen to land the first pick? It's a deep draft, but Andrew Luck isn't in this draft. I might go Clowney given the opportunity. And they might get it, because Jax might not win a game and go QB.

With 2 first round picks, the Browns could draft Clowney #1 and get the 2nd or 3rd (or whatever QB) with the Colts pick or their 2nd round. Could trade third and/or 4th round picks if it looks like they may miss out. Lot of maneuverability with all those picks. On the QBs, is there any real huge difference between Bridgewater, Manziel, McCarron, Hundley, etc that you have to take one in the top 5 if you can get one of the others at pick 27?

I fear Manziel won't cut it in the NFL. He'll be broken in two running around like that.

I was on Mo's twitter page today, and I'm not the greatest twitter navigator, but wasn't he just kind of responding to someone else, kind of like a lol? Even that guy knows an old, slow convict isn't playing in the NFL. He may have a step on Richardson though.

Thought everyone was expecting a 9 win season and now everyone is happy to trade away your future bell cow?

We'll know right away if T Rich is a bust or not. If he even does moderately better in Indy it will show just how behind the Browns are....

This is all about Teddy. And now the Browns are not much better than Jax.

Unless the Browns trade the defense, they'll probably win a couple more than Jax. Guilty as charged on 8-10 wins, didn't see this coming.

I was on Mo's twitter page today, and I'm not the greatest twitter navigator, but wasn't he just kind of responding to someone else, kind of like a lol? Even that guy knows an old, slow convict isn't playing in the NFL. He may have a step on Richardson though.

Yea kind of. But he did reach out on a couple separate occasions from what I've read.

Nothing wrong with thinking improvement was on the way but selling stock already in 2013? I suppose it's smart to bail on Rich if he truly wasn't gelling.

Well, I'm just sighing over this one now. No big deal this year, team is not trying to win games in 2012.

This is where I am.

I never bought this team as eight or nine wins this year. But I thought the goal was to find their offense this year based around Richardson and, yes, Weeden.

But now they're just done. They're officially rebuilding the entire offense. I can't imagine there's a skill player this front office is married to not named Jordan Cameron.

The problem with that is, they still need to rebuild the defense, too. They're still pretending this LB corps is just fine for a 16 game NFL season when it's not. And there are holes all over the secondary after Joe Haden.

The number of picks they need in the first two rounds to get back to respectability is staggering.

What a disgrace the Browns are! How do you draft a guy number three overall and then trade barely a year later for a pick that's likely to be 16-24?!?

And fuck, this hurts my Colts u 8.5 bet.

lmfao. this organization is a goddamn joke. Not only did they trade the #3 pick last year for a mid first rounder, they moved up from 4 to 3 by trading 3 picks to a team (Vikes) that wasn't even going to draft a RB. What a bunch of morons.

This is my question regarding several posts in this thread:

Why do so many seem to be so high on Teddy Bridgewater?

Back