Super Bowl: Rams vs. Bengals Discussion Thread

What to know about the officiating​

There's reason to project a minimum of flags in this game. The Bengals and Rams committed the fewest and third-fewest penalties, respectively, during the regular season. In six postseason games, the teams have been flagged a total of 31 times. And referee Ron Torbert's regular-season crew threw the fourth-fewest flags (12.3 per game), and his mixed crew threw 10 flags in the divisional-round game between the 49ers and Packers. However, referees are mostly responsible for roughing the passer and offensive holding calls, and Torbert finished the regular season tied for the fourth-most roughing the passer flags (11) and fifth-most flags for offensive holding (56). -- Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer

What to know about the officiating​

There's reason to project a minimum of flags in this game. The Bengals and Rams committed the fewest and third-fewest penalties, respectively, during the regular season. In six postseason games, the teams have been flagged a total of 31 times. And referee Ron Torbert's regular-season crew threw the fourth-fewest flags (12.3 per game), and his mixed crew threw 10 flags in the divisional-round game between the 49ers and Packers. However, referees are mostly responsible for roughing the passer and offensive holding calls, and Torbert finished the regular season tied for the fourth-most roughing the passer flags (11) and fifth-most flags for offensive holding (56). -- Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer
In capping the officials I feel like as the games get bigger they are more apt go hold the whistle in NFL as to not scare off the novice fans... Some regular season games are obviously big turn offs with the flag turnstile.

In capping the officials I feel like as the games get bigger they are more apt go hold the whistle in NFL as to not scare off the novice fans... Some regular season games are obviously big turn offs with the flag turnstile.
Would love a prop of o1.5 roughing flags

I think it arguable. They bout equal. Both 1st overall picks. Both incredibly talented. Both prob rate in top 5-8 of league. Not sure how anyone can say 1 is inarguably better than the other right now? Both playing at a incredibly high level, both in the SB cause they made plays to get their teams here. I could argue Stafford did it against better defenses but I’m not saying he better, I think there arguments for both. Obviously if I’m taking one to start a franchise im going burrow, he way younger, but right now? It very debatable. I don’t really know which is “better”? Neither one is Josh Allen talent wise.
Burrow being better isn’t a knock on Staff at all.

Twink you know he publicly declared that he still considers himself a Buckeye right?

No chance a dude with barely a year of experience is as good as Staff, that's horse hockey talking

But it just opinion, no facts. Stafford is every bit as talented a thrower of the ball, his arm prob better. He has done everything burrow has in these playoffs, could be argued he been better but he does have more help. I know you lsu loyal tho.

Last edited:
I’m sorry guys, but how is getting ignored Staff led the league in interceptions? I like Stafford, I do. But he has those moments you’re like WTF was that throw. All I’m saying is that a team as a 4/4.5 fave is surprising with a QB susceptible to giving the ball away.

And McVay is a scheming genius. Nobody could argue that. But as an in game coach, he leaves MUCH to be desired w adjustments , clock, challenges, etc

Twink you know he publicly declared that he still considers himself a Buckeye right?

No chance a dude with barely a year of experience is as good as Staff, that's horse hockey talking
Again, this isn’t an LSU thing bro.

If someone had a gun to your cats’ heads, who you rolling with

Nobody is saying Burrow is the next Marino. But this is a silly argument as we just had a guy in KC and with NO experience lead a team to 4 straight AFC championships.

Staff has his flaws, but he’s a damn solid QB. He just needs to play mistake free and they’re in good shape.

I’m sorry guys, but how is getting ignored Staff led the league in interceptions? I like Stafford, I do. But he has those moments you’re like WTF was that throw. All I’m saying is that a team as a 4/4.5 fave is surprising with a QB susceptible to giving the ball away.

And McVay is a scheming genius. Nobody could argue that. But as an in game coach, he leaves MUCH to be desired w adjustments , clock, challenges, etc

McVay is my biggest concern holding a rams -4 ticket.

It’s real easy for me. He was with a new team and had to deal with changing personnel during the season. There a learning curve and I think quite often Mcvey wasn’t doing him any favors either as he was figuring out his new qb and what he could do and couldn’t. Brady wasn’t all that awesome the entire year 1 with Arians either, they got great late after figuring each other out. I havnt seen many bad head scratching throws when it matters most now that everyone acclimated. You can hold them against him if ya want but I’d be willing to bet that number goes way down next year as it has in playoffs vs the best defenses.

And let’s be fair, he threw 41 tds 17 ints. Is burrow 34 and 14 more impressive? And burrow sat week 18.

DC play calling will be vital

Would love to see an aggressive game plan on defense by the Rams, no laying up
Weddle will be calling the defensive plays on the field today. Kind of like having a coach on the field. I'm a homer but he has made a difference in their secondary. I also think the rams defensive front will have burrow on the move quite a bit today. I expect a tight game, should be a good one.

So if Stafford sits week 18 he threw a grand total of 1 more int than Burrow with a new team and with having to replace woods with obj in the middle the year. And we think that is a big deal? Stafford also played in a division and overall schedule that was way tougher than cincy. So yes it easy for me to dismiss the couple more ints he threw over burrow.

i can't believe i'm rooting for the fucking bungles. unfortunately, i'm only presented with 2 major losing franchises to choose from, and forced to go with the lesser of 2 evils.

Honestly this spread should have opened at-6.

Cincy has that Eagles SB run feel about them with Burrow a better version of Big Dick Nick.

Flawed team with a shit-ton of heart and rallying behind their QB.

On paper the Rams should roll but this season is where chaos reigns.
Paragraph three was a really good description. I think I’m going with Rams 1H and Bengals 2H.

As a card carrying Italian I was against chili on spaghetti until I actually tried it one time in Cincinnati. It's not half bad. People don't like cold toppings on pizza either but try it once at Beto's in Pittsburgh and you'll be surprised how good it is.

As a card carrying Italian I was against chili on spaghetti until I actually tried it one time in Cincinnati. It's not half bad. People don't like cold toppings on pizza either but try it once at Beto's in Pittsburgh and you'll be surprised how good it is.
As someone who's spent over half of their life in the west chili must be thick and it must bring the heat. That skyline shit is nasty. Only tried it once, never again.

Fioris cold cheese on their pies is much better IMO......try it next time you swing out that way

As someone who's spent over half of their life in the west chili must be thick and it must bring the heat. That skyline shit is nasty. Only tried it once, never again.

I agree with heat but think I’ve had better thinner Chili’s than thick.

Our local club has a $100 square board.....they pay each quarter but draw you different numbers for each quarter. Wife and I have a ticket.....have either an 8 or 5 in every quarter, including 3rd quarter which has both numbers. Mother-in-law drew all 2s for the Bengals four quarters. Disgusting. Need a FG/safety fest.

Our local club has a $100 square board.....they pay each quarter but draw you different numbers for each quarter. Wife and I have a ticket.....have either an 8 or 5 in every quarter, including 3rd quarter which has both numbers. Mother-in-law drew all 2s for the Bengals four quarters. Disgusting. Need a FG/safety fest.

I don’t think I’ve ever won a square in 30ish years of doing them/. I’ve grown tired of even playing them unless a friend talks me into playing their board. At 1st it always sounds good then I remember this fact. Lol. The few years I got good numbers we saw safeties and crap. Rest the time my numbers blow and all 7-3-0 win.

safety works for me

I asked my lady who she picks and she asked who was playing (awww how cute)...I told her and she said the Bengals, so I put $100 on the ML at +192 to give her something to root for....Happy Valentine's Day LOL

Everything about pizza is better cold

Perfect breakfast

Drawing for each quarter is a nice touch but a lot of work if your are wrapped up in the game.

Rams win despite losing turnover battle and dumb coaching decisions. This is who they are. Find ways to win all year.

Rams win despite losing turnover battle and dumb coaching decisions. This is who they are. Find ways to win all year.
What coaching decisions were dumb? Are we looking for perfection? Are we only focused on a couple mistakes? Do we ever look at the play calling when they take the lead back from the Bucs in 40 seconds? Do we ever look at the play calling that brought the Rams back vs the 9ers or the play calling with all the marbles on the line?
When do we look at the body of work by McVay and realize how great his accomplishments are in 5 years? Mind boggling to me how poor this assessment of McVay is. I can bring up #’s that would quiet this topic but im going to check out and enjoy this win.

What coaching decisions were dumb? Are we looking for perfection? Are we only focused on a couple mistakes? Do we ever look at the play calling when they take the lead back from the Bucs in 40 seconds? Do we ever look at the play calling that brought the Rams back vs the 9ers or the play calling with all the marbles on the line?
When do we look at the body of work by McVay and realize how great his accomplishments are in 5 years? Mind boggling to me how poor this assessment of McVay is. I can bring up #’s that would quiet this topic but im going to check out and enjoy this win.
Rams are deserving champs.

They won yesterday with a poor coaching effort on offense.

His gameplans in Super Bowls have not been good.

The decision making on several plays/calls from mid 2Q till early 4th would have cost them the game if the defense hasn't taken over the last 20 mins of the game.

I've never been a McVey hater, at all, but some stuff yesterday was pretty disappointing.

With that being said, Rams are champs!

It was just yesterday for me. I've always been a mcvay fan. Congrats wise!

Back