Super Bowl: Rams vs. Bengals Discussion Thread

Thats a great post BC, but I just do not see the comparison (especially on the favorite side). Broncos were arguably the best team in the league that year and a 7.5pt favorite in the game. Rams have been good, but not many picked them to win it all so I would not call them a prohibitive favorite. QB advantage to Cincy as well. I do not see this game being a blowout. Rams just shoot themselves in the foot too often for that to happen.

And not many are talking about the fact that Cincy had to win @Tenny and @KC to get here. That is much more impressive to me than beating a beat up TB team and a tired SF team that was average all season. I am way more impressed with what Cincy did to get to this point regardless of how it happened. I have not made any plays yet, just thinking out loud.

Thats a great post BC, but I just do not see the comparison (especially on the favorite side). Broncos were arguably the best team in the league that year and a 7.5pt favorite in the game. Rams have been good, but not many picked them to win it all so I would not call them a prohibitive favorite. QB advantage to Cincy as well. I do not see this game being a blowout. Rams just shoot themselves in the foot too often for that to happen.
I really have a hard time saying the QB edge goes to Cincinnati and I think Burrow is a freak. But he's had bad games and I prefer Stafford experience to Joe for sure.

Can't call the Bengals lucky but it did take meltdowns by Tenn and KC for them to win those games, Bengals didn't really go take it from them. Rams are plenty capable of melting down too but betting on meltdowns isn't something I enjoy.

This is shaping up to be the first SB I can remember not having a pregame bet on the side. Things could obviously change, but I really think my gameplan at the moment is hope things play out like they have all postseason (for the most part) and that Bengals go down to Rams and I try to aim for anything 7+ On them. Just so hard to trust McVay to hang on to a lead like that with his in game coaching

This is shaping up to be the first SB I can remember not having a pregame bet on the side. Things could obviously change, but I really think my gameplan at the moment is hope things play out like they have all postseason (for the most part) and that Bengals go down to Rams and I try to aim for anything 7+ On them. Just so hard to trust McVay to hang on to a lead like that with his in game coaching

He is 42-1 when leading at halftime? Only niners in week 18 have ever beaten him when his squad has a lead. Seems like most trustworthy coach in the league to hold a lead!!

He is 42-1 when leading at halftime? Only niners in week 18 have ever beaten him when his squad has a lead. Seems like most trustworthy coach in the league to hold a lead!!
Didn't say anything about Bengals ML....both of the last 2 Rams playoff games have been much closer than they should have been with some of his in-game decisions. Just saying I'd like them to get out to a nice lead that I could get a 7 or higher on Bengals. I think Rams by 3 or 4 is the most likely outcome of this game.

Didn't say anything about Bengals ML....both of the last 2 Rams playoff games have been much closer than they should have been with some of his in-game decisions. Just saying I'd like them to get out to a nice lead that I could get a 7 or higher on Bengals. I think Rams by 3 or 4 is the most likely outcome of this game.

Gotcha, I took it as you implied he can’t hold a lead which doesn’t seem accurate. I think rams by 7+ most likely but I been wrong on bungals the last 2 games so wtf do I know, lol. That said so far I been doing 2 team ml parlays with nba fav + rams ml so while I think they win and cover im obviously scared of Burrow. If bungals win this thing it gonna cost me a fortune between the losses I took on titans and kc combined with the 10 or so tickets I now have on rams ml and I ain’t done yet! lol

Everything I know bout football might as well get flushed down the toilet if a team getting dominated at the LOS every week wins the damn SB!!

Everything I know bout football might as well get flushed down the toilet if a team getting dominated at the LOS every week wins the damn SB!!
I’ve flipped quite a bit on this game and really don’t have a strong feel either way. I initially loved Rams as well, but I’m in your same boat of the Bengals getting me every single one of their postseason games so far. Just thinking more and more it’ll be a close game, but do like your idea of Rams ML in some lays. May do that pregame and then get some Bungles 7+ in game if it presents itself

I’ve flipped quite a bit on this game and really don’t have a strong feel either way. I initially loved Rams as well, but I’m in your same boat of the Bengals getting me every single one of their postseason games so far. Just thinking more and more it’ll be a close game, but do like your idea of Rams ML in some lays. May do that pregame and then get some Bungles 7+ in game if it presents itself

I was trying to figure out when to hit rams ml and @KJ suggested this, sounded like genius idea to me so last week and half every nba fav I’ve really liked I been putting 50-100 aside and playing 2 teamer with rams ml! goal was to have good amount on rams and be in the +120 to +150 range, it has worked out even better than I anticipated, obviously I expected to have to factor in a few nba losses on the end game payout but favs been crushing so I have only had one losing ticket on the 9-10 I’ve played! Lol. I figure at this point I’ll be damned if I’m gonna tuck tail and eat my losses on these last 2 cincy games, they either gonna really hurt me or im at least gonna be up a tad at end of it all!! Fuck them! Lol

I was trying to figure out when to hit rams ml and @KJ suggested this, sounded like genius idea to me so last week and half every nba fav I’ve really liked I been putting 50-100 aside and playing 2 teamer with rams ml! goal was to have good amount on rams and be in the +120 to +150 range, it has worked out even better than I anticipated, obviously I expected to have to factor in a few nba losses on the end game payout but favs been crushing so I have only had one losing ticket on the 9-10 I’ve played! Lol. I figure at this point I’ll be damned if I’m gonna tuck tail and eat my losses on these last 2 cincy games, they either gonna really hurt me or im at least gonna be up a tad at end of it all!! Fuck them! Lol
Love it.

Amazing thing is the bengals probably should have lost to the raiders in the first playoff game. That was their dud and then they play pressure free.

This would be up there as far as bad teams to win a super bowl but they seem to have more magic in them than frosty the snowman's hat.

Amazing thing is the bengals probably should have lost to the raiders in the first playoff game. That was their dud and then they play pressure free.

This would be up there as far as bad teams to win a super bowl but they seem to have more magic in them than frosty the snowman's hat.
Bengals run reminds of the 85 Patriots string of luck until they met the Bears.

I really have a hard time saying the QB edge goes to Cincinnati and I think Burrow is a freak. But he's had bad games and I prefer Stafford experience to Joe for sure.

Can't call the Bengals lucky but it did take meltdowns by Tenn and KC for them to win those games, Bengals didn't really go take it from them. Rams are plenty capable of melting down too but betting on meltdowns isn't something I enjoy.
No chance Bengals have QB edge. Stafford has been phenomenal over the last several weeks. LOS is a major mismatch in favor of Rams Dline. This can’t be underestimated. Bengals did lose to the Mike White lead Jets as a low for their season. Rams will get 30pts here and I wouldn’t be surprised if you see Burrows rush his process for a Ramsey pick 6. Btw, Bengals don’t have anyone like Ramsey or Donald on their D. Good luck covering Kupp. Kupp had 220 yards the last time they met 2 years ago.

No chance Bengals have QB edge. Stafford has been phenomenal over the last several weeks. LOS is a major mismatch in favor of Rams Dline. This can’t be underestimated. Bengals did lose to the Mike White lead Jets as a low for their season. Rams will get 30pts here and I wouldn’t be surprised if you see Burrows rush his process for a Ramsey pick 6. Btw, Bengals don’t have anyone like Ramsey or Donald on their D. Good luck covering Kupp. Kupp had 220 yards the last time they met 2 years ago.

cincy took a bunch of losses to non playoff teams this year, not sure it really means much now tho? obviously ya know where i stand, im pot committed to beating these fuckers! lol.. i sound like a month long broken record but i just dont believe a team that getting beat at LOS like they have pretty much every game can win the whole damn thing!!! tough to say on the QB edge, "no chance" is a bit of a overstatement imo, if we picking a guy to start a franchise im rolling with Burrow all day every day, stafford been great no doubt and has been big in big moments but he isnt getting put on his ass 10x a game either!! imagine what Burrow could do if he wasnt getting hit/sacked so much!! I cant say rams have a qb edge, their qb just has much better protection, Burrow is freaking awesome and only reason cincy is here.

cincy is completely different than they were 2 years ago, obviously kupp has a way better qb now but bungals spent a ton of money on their defense this past offseason. i dont expect kupp has a game anywhere close to that big, im sure he get close to 100 cause he always does, i think they gonna pay a lot of attention to him and obj has another nice game. i also think rams are finally gonna have some success on the ground. No way cincy can sell out to stop akers the way they did against titans, if they do they will get roasted by stafford and co, i think akers gonna see some big holes similar to what Jacobs saw in the 1st playoff game.

well worth the listen

well worth the listen

plan on it tonight, im 100% committed regardless but they still a good listen, i suspect they on rams, think they have pretty much same feeling as me about cincy.

Culpepper was a rookie in 99

i have a hard time even picturing cunningham playing for them, my memory sucks tho and that was a long time ago!! i just googled and it says he started the '99 season as starter also but after a 2-4 start was benched for jeff george! lol

Bengals +10/Over 43.5 early and later took
Bengals +10/Under 54.5, both for 2 Units.
Rams -4 for 2 Units.

Enjoyable possibility to go 3-0 or 2-1

Also

Under 49.5 1.5 units

1 Unit:

Rams -1/2 1st Qtr +108,

Bengals 1st score not a TD -104

Kupp TD & Rams win -104

Love a Rams 27-20 win

Anyone think last year SB is a reasonable comp with kc coming in with a depleted offensive line and Bucs defense basically winning the game up front?

Obviously Cincy oline isn’t injured, they just suck! Havnt really heard anyone make the comparison but isnt it kinda similar? Think that was without a doubt the biggest factor in last years game where we had another home team who dominated the LOS.

KC OL in super bowl was way worse than what cincy has. Everyone points to the 9 sacks, but that was one bad game and far from the norm. A normal qb in the super bowl last year would have been sacked 15 times. I think it is a bad matchup for cincy and the main reason I bet the lambs to win, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bas as last year's SB was.

KC OL in super bowl was way worse than what cincy has. Everyone points to the 9 sacks, but that was one bad game and far from the norm. A normal qb in the super bowl last year would have been sacked 15 times. I think it is a bad matchup for cincy and the main reason I bet the lambs to win, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bas as last year's SB was.
DC play calling will be vital

Would love to see an aggressive game plan on defense by the Rams, no laying up

Agree. KC had 2 starters out

I know they’re your team, @wiseplayer … but you do remember that Staff led the league in interceptions, right? And that he won 2 games because Todd Bowles decided to all out blitz (for whatever reason) and Tart dropped a pass Staff just tried to give him to seal the game for SF.

There is zero, and I mean, ZERO chance that Stafford is better than Burrow. And I won’t even get into the atrocity that McVay has been coaching the last 2 games. They’ve won in spite of him, not because of him.

And can someone explain to me why nobody remembers that Cincy had more sacks than KC? Or that Burrow was only sacked once last game?

From everything I’m reading it’s like we’ve got the 85 Bears charging into the playoffs for a sure victory of a listless opponent. Typical diarrhea you’d expect from the talking-head-clowns who make their living being wrong over and over and over.

I know they’re your team, @wiseplayer … but you do remember that Staff led the league in interceptions, right? And that he won 2 games because Todd Bowles decided to all out blitz (for whatever reason) and Tart dropped a pass Staff just tried to give him to seal the game for SF.

There is zero, and I mean, ZERO chance that Stafford is better than Burrow. And I won’t even get into the atrocity that McVay has been coaching the last 2 games. They’ve won in spite of him, not because of him.
I think you’re 100% wrong and it really shows how tunnel vision these comments are. McVay misusing challenges is your tunnel vision and it ignores reality. Let’s forget the mismatches he’s creating in his schemes for Kupp to win a triple crown. Let’s forget how OBJ has become a great asset to the Rams offense in a very short amount of time while being a 1 man wreaking ball for the Giants and Browns. McVay is 55-26 with 2 Super Bowl appearances in 5 seasons. (Kyle Shanahan 39-42). Let’s forget how the Rams lost 13 straight seasons and McVay has 5 straight winning seasons. Let’s forget the 27-3 lead vs Bucs and it was the players who turned it over 4 times to allow the comeback. In the same game let’s forget with 40 seconds, McVay designed 2 plays for Stafford to hit a wide open Kupp for the game winning FG. McVay is THE REASON why they’re winning and in the Super Bowl again.
Stafford
Regular Season4,8864117102.9
Postseason 905-6-1-124.0

Burrow
Regular Season4,6113414108.3
Postseason. 842-4-2- 96.6

The hard on for a QB who lost to the Jets and Bears is a little much. There’s no comparison in postseason #’s especially when you consider the defenses they’ve gone up against and the gifts the Bengals offense has been given by Carr, Tannehill and Mahomes.
Give me the veteran who is playing at the top of his game vs LEGIT defenses in postseason vs a 2nd year QB who’s been average vs AVERAGE defenses in postseason.
You lose all credibility with me to continue to waste my time.

Last edited:
Everyone knows a valley follows a peak. So how have teams that snatched victory from the jaws of a decent deficit in the Championship round gone in their subsequent SB appearance?

Teams that trailed by 11+ pts at some point in their Championship game but came back to win -> subsequent SB result

1999 - ATL trailed by 13 pts to MIN but ended up winning by 3 pts (OT) ... lost the SB by 15 pts as a Dog
2007 - IND trailed by 15 pts to NE but ended up winning by 4 pts ... won the SB by 12 pts as a Fave
2010 - IND trailed by 11 pts to NYJ but ended up winning by 13 pts ... lost the SB by 14 pts as a Fave
2013 - SF trailed by 17 pts to ATL but ended up winning by 4 pts ... lost the SB by 3 pts as a Fave
2015 - SEA trailed by 16 pts to GBY but ended up winning by 6 pts ... lost the SB by 4 pts as a Pick
2018 - NE trailed by 11 pts to JAX but ended up winning by 4 pts ... lost the SB by 8 pts as a Fave
2019 - LAR trailed by 13 pts to NOR but ended up winning by 3 pts (OT) ... lost the SB by 10 pts as a Dog

Those teams underlined played their championship game on the road, those not underlined played their championship game @home.

(1) First, why 11 pts as a minimum cut off deficit mark rather than 10 pts (the start of the double-digit deficit point)? Simply put, I found 4 instances of teams having their maximum deficit in a championship game reach 10 pts before they came back to win, and all 4 of those teams went on to win the SB. Just to note for those with poor memories: the Rams trailed SF by a max. of 10 pts before they won their recent championship fixture.

(2) Given there's one exception to losing the SB after such a championship deficit-level comeback, how does Cincy's circumstances conflate with that one exception?

- The 07 Colts had HFA for their championship game comeback vs. Cincy had to do it tougher (on the road).
- The 07 Colts had a much experienced QB (Manning appeared in the playoffs for the 6th time in the 06-07 season) vs. Cincy's Burrow's first ever playoffs experience.
- The 07 Colts were the Fave for their subsequent SB appearance vs. Cincy's unfancied status.

Last edited:

It was far from a 1 off, burrow was the most sacked qb all season. You might be right kc’s was in worse shape, I’m not sure, I think rams pass rush is better than bucs was tho.

Everyone knows a valley follows a peak. So how have teams that snatched victory from the jaws of a decent deficit in the Championship round gone in their subsequent SB appearance?

Teams that trailed by 11+ pts at some point in their Championship game but came back to win -> subsequent SB result

1999 - ATL trailed by 13 pts to MIN but ended up winning by 3 pts (OT) ... lost the SB by 15 pts as a Dog
2007 - IND trailed by 15 pts to NE but ended up winning by 4 pts ... won the SB by 12 pts as a Fave
2010 - IND trailed by 11 pts to NYJ but ended up winning by 13 pts ... lost the SB by 14 pts as a Fave
2013 - SF trailed by 17 pts to ATL but ended up winning by 4 pts ... lost the SB by 3 pts as a Fave
2015 - SEA trailed by 16 pts to GBY but ended up winning by 6 pts ... lost the SB by 4 pts as a Pick
2018 - NE trailed by 11 pts to JAX but ended up winning by 4 pts ... lost the SB by 8 pts as a Fave
2019 - LAR trailed by 13 pts to NOR but ended up winning by 3 pts (OT) ... lost the SB by 10 pts as a Dog

Those teams underlined played their championship game on the road, those not underlined played their championship game @home.

(1) First, why 11 pts as a minimum cut off deficit mark rather than 10 pts (the start of the double-digit deficit point)? Simply put, I found 4 instances of teams having their maximum deficit in a championship game reach 10 pts before they came back to win, and all 4 of those teams went on to win the SB. Just to note for those with poor memories: the Rams trailed SF by a max. of 10 pts before they won their recent championship fixture.

(2) Given there's one exception to losing the SB after such a championship deficit-level comeback, how does Cincy's circumstances conflate with that one exception?

- The 07 Colts had HFA for their championship game comeback vs. Cincy had to do it tougher (on the road).
- The 07 Colts had a much experienced playoff QB (Manning appeared in the playoffs for the 6th time in the 06-07 season) vs. Cincy's Burrow's first ever playoffs experience.
- The 07 Colts were the Fave for their subsequent SB appearance vs. Cincy's unfancied status.

Glad you added the rams only trailed by 10 cause that was gonna be my 1st question, thought both of them did basically same thing. Lol

I think QB pretty much a toss up, kinda disagree with arguments for Stafford and burrow, lol. I think if we being fair you really can’t knock Stafford for the picks during the season, ihe was learning a new system then had to deal with interchanging parts with woods going out and obj in, plus I think it was pretty clear Mcvey was doing a lot of experimenting with his new toy. Similar to how Brady and Bucs took off at end the year after he and Arians figured each other out. On the other hand Burrow is freaking amazing and his big game prow-less in college and now pros can’t be ignored. They both awesome, just think Stafford has the more compete team around him and def has the better coach, I’ll take Mcvey all day every day.

Reactions: KJ
mack went back Friday and added another 5MM

Ppl are freaking crazy. I mean I like rams but im never that confident in outcome of one game, I got little more on this than I want cause I dug in against cincy weeks ago but normally/if I was being smart they wouldn’t have been any different than a random basketball bet on any given night, or a prop during season.

Ppl are freaking crazy. I mean I like rams but im never that confident in outcome of one game, I got little more on this than I want cause I dug in against cincy weeks ago but normally/if I was being smart they wouldn’t have been any different than a random basketball bet on any given night, or a prop during season.
it's business, he's hedging vs. his furniture store promotions.

it's business, he's hedging vs. his furniture store promotions.

Yea I know with him it usually different. Just saying ppl in general who make this game a way bigger bet than normal when it just another play in reality. What was his promo for this he hedging against? I hadn’t heard, obviously something w rams, but why based out of Houston? I wouldn’t think have the same appeal as when one their teams the offer.

Burrow is better now. I can’t see how this is even arguable

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
Do you know what the promotion is?

I understand the Houston teams but what could he possibly have lingering on these two teams?

He is getting old (71) and sounds a little bit like Joe.

Here he is placing the bet Live in Louisiana on his I-Phone. Cincy ML $5 million

Free mattresses and reclining sofas for customers if Cincy wins the game. It seems like they have to come in and buy them before the Super Bowl

Yea guy is crazy! No way is one game worth that much unless you are hedging out or covering up some sort of liability!
Only other reason I can think of is that he don’t want to leave any money in his estate and just enjoying the rush

I’m on Rams-4

Burrow is better now. I can’t see how this is even arguable

I think it arguable. They bout equal. Both 1st overall picks. Both incredibly talented. Both prob rate in top 5-8 of league. Not sure how anyone can say 1 is inarguably better than the other right now? Both playing at a incredibly high level, both in the SB cause they made plays to get their teams here. I could argue Stafford did it against better defenses but I’m not saying he better, I think there arguments for both. Obviously if I’m taking one to start a franchise im going burrow, he way younger, but right now? It very debatable. I don’t really know which is “better”? Neither one is Josh Allen talent wise.

Last edited:

- The 07 Colts had a much experienced playoff QB (Manning appeared in the playoffs for the 6th time in the 06-07 season) vs. Cincy's Burrow's first ever playoffs experience.
Great stuff BC, as always.

Back