Rod's Rugby Union (9/2-11/2)

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
Rod's Rugby Union/League (9/2-11/2)

Rugby Union 3-1-0 (+4.30 units)

Week 2 Fixtures for Super 14, all times in GMT. Week 2 of Six Nations as well over the weekend.

There is also superleague as well.

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="5">WEEK 2
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 8. Friday 09 February </td> <td> Chiefs v Hurricanes
</td> <td> Hamilton
</td> <td> 19:35
</td> <td> 06:35
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 9. Friday 09 February </td> <td> Stormers v W Force
</td> <td> Cape Town
</td> <td> 18:00
</td> <td> 16:00
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 10. Friday 09 February </td> <td> Sharks v Waratahs
</td> <td> Durban
</td> <td> 20:05
</td> <td> 18:05
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 11.Saturday 10 February </td> <td> Crusaders v Reds
</td> <td> Christchurch
</td> <td> 19:35
</td> <td> 06:35
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 12.Saturday 10 February </td> <td> Brumbies v Blues
</td> <td> Canberra
</td> <td> 19:40
</td> <td> 08:40
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 13.Saturday 10 February </td> <td> Bulls v Cheetahs
</td> <td> Pretoria
</td> <td> 17:00
</td> <td> 15:00
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> 14.Saturday 10 February </td> <td> Lions v Highlanders
</td> <td> Johannesburg
</td> <td> 19:10
</td> <td> 17:10
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Last edited:
Up until the last couple of years, the Dog almost always won between the Chiefs and the Slurrycanes. I'd lean Waikunto, but the fav won last friday, and if theres a rule of thumb for Super 14 NZ games on Fridays, its the dog is never far away. So I'll have to be content trying to worm out a play on this Aussie-Pommie bastard match for tonight.

figured 23-21 ish for chiefs today. 5 dimes set line at -5.5 or waikato. had no choice but to take 'canes + 5.5.

lot of rugby this w-end, for sure.

best of luck, guys.

figured 23-21 ish for chiefs today. 5 dimes set line at -5.5 or waikato. had no choice but to take 'canes + 5.5.

lot of rugby this w-end, for sure.

best of luck, guys.

Nice hit man :cheers:

I'll have a play in the Force-Stormers game and possible the Tah's-Sharks game. Back a bit later.

Rod, what's your read on the Sharks? I think they are the strongest of the SA teams, and really like them against the 'Tahs this week. NSW were lucky last week.

thanks rod, got lucky.

good luck on next 2 in s14, man.

my 2 picks for sl are:

harlequins +23.5 (tiny)
and
wigan -6.5 (1 UNIT)

wigan is public play, and i want to take wakefield, so i am fading myself.

got to go to work....sucks.....written all in haste.

good luck....i can't wait for today and tomorrow's rugby and betting.

Rod, what's your read on the Sharks? I think they are the strongest of the SA teams, and really like them against the 'Tahs this week. NSW were lucky last week.

Both Pienaar and Botha are unlikely starters for Natal today which is going to be a huge loss for the home team. Sharks definitely have shown they are going to be more physical this season based on their win last week, but I still think the Bulls will have the best chance out of all the Sth African teams to make the semi finals. They will be money at Loftus all season and their road play has been slowly improving over the past 2 seasons.

In terms of today, Tah's loose forwards are going to have a field day against the Sharks - they are so much more mobile so provided their tight 5 can get some kind of level against the Sharks tight 5, I think they can come away today with the win. Not going to be pretty, traditional one on one stuff from the Tah's IMO but whatever gets the job done. Still udnecided as to whether to pull the trigger though, but Wilhill giving the Tah's 5 points start might be too good to refuse for me. I'll see.

But my stronger play are the Force at Newlands today :shake:

Last edited:
First play of the round for me, not a a popular one but with Gits shifting to 5/8th going to be a blessing in disguise. I've been bemused all week with so called experts already writing off the Force's season based on last week's performance. I refuse to believe that with that backline they will continue to be poor. Weather unfortunately not the best in Capetown at the moment though...

Probably my favourite play of the round:

Force +5.5 v Stormers - (-110) (3.5)

:shake:

Never in doubt with the Force

I've decided to pass on the Tah's game, think I'll just sit back and cheer for the men in blue to win

Yeah, man, good hit on Force.

SL ripped me a new one........the damn public play.......Wigan -6.5. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Will try to get it together later on today.

WTF is up with Australia in Davis Cup, Rod???? I bet them hard at +167 to advance over Belgium. Down 2 nil. Bad, real bad, real, real bad.

CCL those SL results were incredible especially the Saints score. What was the Quins paying on the ML?

I also watched the Tah's game and although I wouldn't say the officiating cost them the game (that was their own doing and Hewat's inability to kick a fraking goal), the referee completely ruined the game. That last Sharks try was a joke.

As to the Aussie DC - not really a suprise man, Hewitt is on the decline and Gooch is only effective on the faster surfaces.

Will have a look at today's s14 games after the NBA - Mortlock out for the brumbies is a blow to the home side.

Congrats on the hits, guys. What a sorry lot the Chiefs are, lmao.

Real interesting match at Jade stadium tonight. I'll look at halftime betting in that one, because even if the Reds are playing well they'll still be overpriced (barring some mammoth lead).

Congrats on the hits, guys. What a sorry lot the Chiefs are, lmao.

Real interesting match at Jade stadium tonight. I'll look at halftime betting in that one, because even if the Reds are playing well they'll still be overpriced (barring some mammoth lead).

BC you thinking a Reds/Crusaders HT/FT double?

I'm not really sure what to make of the 10.5 line

The initial perception was that the Reds played above themselves last week, but to me it is a sign of a well coached and well drilled team. Their problem maybe the ability to do it week in and week out.

The No.10 for the Crusaders played really well last week. The double figure start is a lot, I'm on the lookout for anything less then 10. Not getting my hopes up though

GL boys

The initial perception was that the Reds played above themselves last week, but to me it is a sign of a well coached and well drilled team. Their problem maybe the ability to do it week in and week out.

The No.10 for the Crusaders played really well last week. The double figure start is a lot, I'm on the lookout for anything less then 10. Not getting my hopes up though

GL boys

I think the Reds will be tough at home, but still suspect on the road. DD spread is a lot but my lean would be a Saders cover especially with them coming off a loss last week. But I think I may sit out till HT, hope Reds are very close if not leading and then make a play on the home team.

Otherwise probably a no bet for me and will focus on the later games.

BC you thinking a Reds/Crusaders HT/FT double?

I'm not really sure what to make of the 10.5 line

I hadnt thought of that one actually. But if the Reds dont take it outright, I think that might present some value. I just think its too easy to expect the normal bounce back from last week that the Saders would normally execute in this spot. Theres a number of guys on that team who are made to look better than they really are when they're at full strength (imo).

I'll be content to take in the first half and, if I'm impressed enough with the combo of what the Reds have shown plus what I'd consider to be an inflated ml price, I'd put some moolah on them to win. But I hear what you're saying about the Reds on the road, thats why I'm not willing to touch anything for a half.

This is much an attitude for me based on the fact these guys can't dominate forever and surely circumstances as they are now make conditions ripe for them to fail at home as much as anytime before. Their NPC side sucked in several games where they had strong positions in, and the core of that side make up this one (and of course that NPC side also had the same ABs absent for a long while). I'm definitely looking at these guys losing more than 1 home game, and the Reds seem to have a bit of a rejuvenation thing going on, so that lines them up as a prospect - bad history means people write them off, or at least can't trust them.

Last edited:
on 5 dimes, taking reds +11 -115.

line is too good to pass up. i have no crystal ball, but i do have the value by taking reds +11, even at mighty fortress Jade.

good luck, guys.....a lot of good rugby coming up.

rod, bc-

yes, this covers merger with wagerline has pissed me off so much that i don't know if i'll even bother to fill out all the red tape forms to post there anymore. i miss the tennis yapping, but the rest is just one big waste of time.

sad, but for whatever reason, covers just basically wanted to become bush league.

Clay, its hard to say the moment that place took a turn for the worst. BTW, I sent you a PM about getting a title of your own choosing. Let me know what you'd like and I'll switch it over.

Reds have hardly done badly, could be closer than they are. Canty came out hard, no suprise but they wilted that final 10 mins, which normally thats not something you'd see them do, I wonder why.

I'm seeing 5.25 for QLD at centrebet, but 7.00 at TAB, and as far as I'm concerned if QLD score first in the second half, esp a try, this is likely to go to the wire. So an interest bet for me on Tabbys inflated odds.

reds pushed.

took act brumbies -4.5 -115 to win 1.0 units.

line seems off with mortlock out....seems like a trap to get peeps on blues.....i'll take the act.

good luck, guys

Rod, BC-

6Nations.......

Italy getting 26.5 seems too good to be true, or is that right? Wales/Scotland......I got to go with Scotland at the moment (but nothing final).

damn.....mushed at the death......blues 17-12.

hell, also got push-mushed at the death in 'saders match.

2 deaths....one push and one loss.

6nations.....italy ML +a lot vs poms.....just got a funny feeling.

Rod, BC-

6Nations.......

Italy getting 26.5 seems too good to be true, or is that right? Wales/Scotland......I got to go with Scotland at the moment (but nothing final).

Italy with the points for me as well - too many people making the basic logic of Italy getting thrashed last week and playing against a team away from home who smashed their opponent last week.

Just checking a couple of things in the 2 remaining s14 games, going to play at least one of them as well. Back in a bit.

don't have the lunacy or balls to bet italy moneyline, but i will take the italians +26.5 -115 on 5 dimes. england will play a controlled game and won't try to bury italy with a bunch of risk.

rod-

going to bail on the rest of s14 with both tilts down in the Republic.....just smell rats all over the place.

i'll put the focus on wales/scotland and newbie hull kr vs wakefield in SL.

good hit on italians. match went as expected. england did what needed to be done to win, and nothing more.

another try at the end of the match in bulls/cheetahs to mush the cover.......that's the Republic, allright.

taking on 5 dimes:

wakefield +1.5 -115 over the newbies HKR.....to win 1.0 units in SuperLeague XII. Just seems like too many peeps want to be the newbies today. Wildcats getting little respect.

lol 2 tries by the Cheetahs in last 10 min screwed me over by the hook.

May play the big one at Croke Park and also have a stab at the Sunday SL

real bad luck with the Reds, clay, and rod doesnt seem to have been treated any better. Always felt those Bokland matches are dodgy buggers.

yep......the theme for the day is "ASS-FUCK"

wakefield has a one point lead.....what do they do?????? they give up a try at the death.

i'll bet the goddamn matches tomorrow, too, and guess what will happen? The teams I bet on will lose at the death. LOCK.

Smart money is fading whatever I post.

FTW

BC-

For sure, a really bad day on the pitch. It's the way the bets either lost or pushed. I'm really shocked England didn't somehow make 2 converted tried at the death to win by 27.....I really am.

BTW, thanks for getting up that moniker. And it is very applicable at the present.

I see Irish are down to 3.5 point faves as baldy munchkin and BOD are not named in the side.

That was one hell of a middle opportunity, as line was Ireland laying 6.5 after the Wales match last Sunday.

I'm biting in the big one, line is just too good to refuse now. Ireland unable to perform without BOD is a fallacy IMO:

Ireland -2.5 v France (2.5)

:shake:

I agree, laying 2.5 is a "steal."

I don't for one second forget last year's corresponding fixture when France completely fell apart and hung on for dear life at end.

Irish should cover this 2.5 line, for sure.

Irish should also get the calls today being at Croke, and all. Additionally, 6N wants to see Irish/English in 2 weeks with both at top of table.

I look for Stevie W to do his part today.

Ireland up 17-13 as O'Gara seemingly landed the cover.

France kicks off......Ireland can't field the kick.....France score a converted try not at the death, but close.

Un----mutherf---king-----believable.

Back