Week 3 in the FCS

Definitely am liking what A&M Commerce has been doing this year. HC Dolezel has taken over the OC role and playcalling. Also shook up the defensive coaching staff with some promotions. They have a new QB this year, Ron Peace from Trinity Valley JUCO. Commerce is in their third season transitioning from Dll and were really thin on the lines last year then suffered a ton of injuries and were playing a lot of true Fr. This year week 1 they led San Diego State 6-3 HT. Ultimately Aztec overtook them in the 2H in typical SD State fashion, using a 45y pick-six and a fumble recovery in the EZ while scoring 21 4Q pts and winning 45-14. The yardage wasn't pretty 468-180 (6.4-3.1). More impressive was last week at UC Davis. Commerce still couldn't run, but were able to pass for 457y (52%). They did throw a couple picks, one was returned for TD with under 1min left to make the score look better for Davis as Commerce had the ball in a 7 pt game, but the pick-six made it 36-22 for UCD. Not sure what UCD was doing, they couldn't score TDs on 3 RZ trips in the 1H and in the 2H their offense punted on 5 of their final 6 possessions as Commerce was making a game of it. Here Commerce wasn't outgained with even yardage 449-448 (6.2-5.7), 1 yard more for Davis. Last year week 1 Davis beat them 48-10 with a 244 yard advantage. Commerce looks quite a bit improved this year and should do well vs Grambling. Old Nebraska buddy Mickey Joseph is the new HC down at Grambling. They still have Myles Crawley at QB. So Grambling O should be somewhat ok. They outgained Tuskegee by 4 yards last week, but Tuskegee got a lot of garbage yards and points. Grambling led 37-3 HT although one of their TDs was a fumble return and another was an 18y drive following an INT. Week 1 they lost to ULL 10-40 as 36 pt dog. I feel there is a lot of excitement and improvement on the Commerce team right now and this should be a big home opener for them. They only won one game last year (McNeese), but Grambling is a farily weak opponent for them, probably their weakest this season.

Already took SIU -6.5, Commerce and Elon MLs and over 51.5 in the Montana game, all at FD. Missed the openers last night so not sure what they came out at.

Last edited:
I think this should be a good game for Incarnate Word. The hype and ultimately the disappointment last year wasn't really fair. It wasn't like going from Cam Ward to Lindsey Scott. It wasn't like going from Eric Morris to GJ Kinne. That team wasn't best positioned for a great season last year.

This year however, with Calzada in year 2, the staff in year 2. Still a lot of incoming transfers. Last week their play at South Dakota State was encouraging. They went blow-for-blow with the 2x national champ in their home opener. UIW led 3-0, tied 10-10, tied 17-17 3Q. Then SDSU started pulling away, was 17-31, 24-31, 24-38 and 24-45 Final. But I think this is good. Very few FCS teams have shown they can compete with the Jacks. A lot of people point to the Villanova playoff game last year, but the weather definitely effected that game. The two transfer WRs Alexander and Walthall have been outstanding this year and Calzada was excellent vs SDSU 31-39-351-3-0, 43y net rushing. You won't see many QBs have such a good stat line vs the Jacks. UIW wasn't able to run much, but actually didn't try to run much with only 13 carries for the RBs compared to 46 plays Calzada kept the ball in his hands. Ideally, I would've liked to see the D play better, which they did in the 1H, but couldn't sustain it for the full game. SDSU did outgain the Word 515-419, but ypp was even at 7.1-7.0. SDSU was really strong on 3rd downs (77%). UIW's 54.5% vs them isn't bad, but Word went 0-3 on 4th down. And penalties were an issue for them (SDSU was awarded 6 first downs from UIW penalties).

I think things get easier this week. Southern Illinois is traditionally a good program but they are still finding themselves this season with the Western Illinois transfer QB and some new skill guys. And the D had to replace a lot. In total 17 players have made their first start this year. Eventually I do think they should round into form and I don't doubt them over the course of the season. Here in game 3, I think they are sitll vulnerable and UIW could be the better team. SIU hasn't performed so well this year. Outgained by 300y at BYU 'only' lost by 18 as 17 pt dogs, but BYU had some chances for more points in that one (missed FG from the 18 and SOD at the 30). SIU only put up 231y (4.5) there. The O was better last week but I am generally down on Austin Peay so I'm not really sure how much credit they deserve there, but they did cover the 9pt road favorite in a 14 point win. They only outgained a weak AP team 385-360 (5.3-5.1). The D made a lot of negative plays with 7 sacks and 13 TFLs however. Some of SIU's top DBs were out last week. I'll assume they are playing this week, I think one of the CBs was said he could've gone if it was a Valley game or something to that extent. So I would expect most of their guys to be playing this week.

One concern is any hangover from such a big game at SDSU. I think it should act as a motivator to know they were in that game with the defending champs. But it could go the other way if they have a hard time putting it behind them.

To see that this Southern Illinois team is ranked in the top 10 is an example of ranking purely on last year's team. Maybe they can earn their way to that kind of ranking as this season wears on, but right now I do not think they are a top 10 team. If this was last year there would be no doubt that I would be on the 2023 SIU team here vs UIW. But this is 2024 UIW and I think the table has tilted over towards the Word. I was able to get them 7.5 last night and took some ML

I took some Under 52.5 in Weber - Lamar

Weber was 8-2 Under team last year and are 2-0 Under this year.

Weber hit a lot of big chunk plays last week, but was only 2 of 10 3rd down and that was vs a Portland State D which has been bad vs everyone just about weekly for a while now. Those teams combined for 59 on a 63 total, but it was just 19-10 through 3Q last week before they combined for 30 point 4Q.

Lamar was just 5-5 last year in Over/Unders, they are 2-0 Under this year including an Under 48.5 vs Mississippi Valley last week when they won just 28-14. Lamar was just 4 of 12 3rd down O in that one. And week 1 Lamar kept Texas State to just 34 which is pretty good.

Neither one of these teams has efficient offenses, they both like to lean on their rushing offenses rather than the QBs and play to their defenses. Both punters have big legs. Weber is 11th nationally at 42.3 net punting and Lamar's punter was just named Southland ST POW, he's avg 46 and 48 through 2 games (although lower nets) with 3 50 yard punts. Think it could be one of those games.

I also played some Lamar + and ML as the 12.5 home dog here. Lamar was 6-1 ATS as a dog last year and is 1-0 in that role this year so far while Weber is 1-0 ATS this year and last year was 2-2 ATS as a fav and lost once outright and also only won by 7 at Northern Colorado. This is a large road favorite spot for Weber considering they aren't playing an awful team line one of the bottom Big Sky teams. For comparison last year they were a 16.5 pt road fav in the season finale at Cal Poly who is terrible. Unless one feels the middle of the SLC is on par with the bottom of the Big Sky? It is hard to gauge really how good either team is as they both played FBS teams week 1 and then each team played a weak opponent last week, with Weber admittedly looking quite a bit better vs Portland State than Lamar did vs Miss Valley. Do think that Weber deserves to be road chalk, but at this early stage in the season, don't know if they are beyond playing a closer than expected game here or maybe even dropping it on the road. This is the first of 3 straight Southland games for Weber. Lamar hosts Texas Southern next week.

Arkansas Pine Bluff has had an interesting 2 weeks. Lost 0-70 at Arkansas with a yardage deficit of 130-687. Then last week they hosted Arkansas Baptist and won 73-0 with a 670-161 yardage edge! Lost by 70, then win by 70 the following week and go from -500 to +500. Crazy.

Tennessee State led Miss Valley 31-0 HT and won 41-21 after Valley scored 21 4Q pts. TSU outgaine Valley 495-264 (7.7-4.5). Then last week they trailed North Dakota State 0-35 at HT and lost 3-52.

So opposite ends of the spectrum for both of these teams through the first two weeks playing some good competition then weak competition and now they face eachother.

Last year this line was Tennessee State -10.5 in the Southern Heritage Classic vs Pine Bluff (played in Memphis). Pine Bluff is pretty bad, they lost several SWAC games by 24+ last year, including losing to Mississippi Valley by 25! Real bad!

Not sure on this line, would look for Tennessee State hopefully around the same spread as last year (Sagarin has -11 / Massey -18.5). TSU led 14-0 HT and had the ball at or inside the Ark PB 6 yard line twice 2H but had to kick a FG and fumbled. Led 17-7 when the fumble at the goal line happened. Ark PB actually came back and were in position to tie the game, but TSU blk;'d the FG and ret;d it for a TD to lead 24-14 with under 1min left. Crazy 2H. I do think that Tenn State has grown some last year into 2024 and feel they can better asert themselves vs a weak team like Pine Bluff. Last week in Fargo surely humbled them. But this is year 4 for Eddie George and it's a big year with expectations. Based on how they played vs Valley and if Pine Bluff is comparable to Valley I'd think TSU can show better in this game than they did last year. Will see where the line comes out at.

Strong effort from Northwestern St. tonight

View attachment 88263
It’s funny I saw the 24-10 ticker while watching Texas state since I had the over in the one, and then it started and kept going and going…63 unanswered points, crazy. Shoulda hit the live line when it was 24-10 haha. This was one of those lines where I over thought it because NWST is bottom of the barrel but I talked myself out of it because of USA’s early season performance. Lesson learned…

I could maybe be interested in Bucknell if this line is 3 or less (Massey 3.5, Sagarin 1). They played ok in the 2nd half of the season last year and that has carried over this year. I was skepitcal on them because they had a lot of quality players transfer out. But Rucker stayed at QB and he's led them to a top 2/3 O in the Patriot rankings (actually #1 total O in the league) and a top 20/25/30 ranked O nationally in this young season. Games have been vs Navy and vs VMI. Were a short road fav at VMI last week and they beat the Keydets for the second straight year 35-28. Defense for Bucknell still isn't anything to hang your hat on and Merrimack is likely going to come in here and try and run the ball a lot so that is an area to watch. Hard to know or say what Merrimack is with games at Air Force and at UConn. Merrimack showed well at Air Force, but in looking at San Jose - Air Force, looks like AF is off to a rough start this season offensively. UConn really blew them away starting their backup QB really shredded them, but I'm not going to hold that against them fully, it was worse than some might've thought perhaps. Not going to lay points with Bucknell, I'd ML them on a small number.

Edit - I wrote the Campbell paragraph vs Maine. They're playing Rhode Island instead. I will revisit that next post.

A lot of upsets among the Charleston Southern and Richmond teams. Week 1 Charleston Southern was upset by The Citadel, then last week Charleston Southern pulled a big road upset at Furman while Wofford was upsetting Richmond. So the favorite has only won once in the 4 games these teams have played and that was UVA beating Richmond week 1. CSO was the beneficiary of a +4 TOs at Furman which resulted in a 2p 9y 'drive' and a 7p 26y 'drive' for 10 points after INT and Fumble recoverary. Each team had poor RZ efficienies, Furman fumbled at the CS09 and only scored 2 TDs on 5 trips there. CSO won 24-20 and were outgained by 79y. Charleston Southern didn't have much of a total yardage edge in the loss vs The Citadel, just +23 TY. CSO has only rushed for 2.9 ypc in both of their games and while they did gain 383 TY (6.7) vs a notoriously weak Citadel D, their total yardage last week in the win at Furman was just 257 (4.1). Turnovers were also key in Richmond's loss vs Wofford, 4 INTs one resulting in a 6y 'drive' for TD for Wofford. Wofford's O was limited to just 28.6% 3rd down, but they did convert a couple 4th downs, including a huge fake FG at the end of the 2Q that led to a TD two plays later with :00 on the clock. Big moment of the game. Wofford only had 304y on offense (5.2), but Richmond only had 318 (4.2). I think that Richmond's D can limit Charleston Southern in a similar way that Furman's D did. I am going to assume that Richmond isn't -4 TOs and Charleston Southern isn't +4 TOs this week. Hopefully this is more favorable line, last week Richmond was -17.5 vs Wofford...Furman was -17 vs Charleston Southern. Something in the neighborhood of 10 and I could buy Richmond. Sagarin has 11, but Massey shows 17.5. If this total is in or near the 50s I'd look Under (Massey 49.5). In the 3 FCS games these teams have played, all 3 have gone Under (47/47/47.5).

Last edited:
On Campbell, I wish they were playing at Maine instead as Rhode Island is a bit of a mystery to me still. I think I view them better than Maine which makes a me a little less confident in Campbell and might mean I pass on it.

What I like about Campbell is how they totally rattled what everyone thought was one of the top QBs in the FCS last week at Western Carolina. Held them below 300y and zero offensive TDs and forced 4 INTs! He wasn't making throws under duress, he was just throwing the ball to covered receivers and Campbell made defenders made plays. Nobody was open. Campbell's new HC was a LB coach here just a couple years ago, he was part of the staff that recruited some of them and the new DC has recent experience as a DC in the CAA. They lost a multiyear starter at QB. I think the jury is still out on new QB Mascoe, however they have some outstanding WRs, Wilkins who was Campbell's #2 last year and is a burner, they added Brown who transferred in from USF - he's currently first among CAA receivers at 117 ypg. Those two made a lot of great catches last week and RJ Jackson also strong armed a few balls away from defenders all of which made Mascoe look good on a some 50-50 balls or even some ill-advised type throws. Cal Poly transfer Biggins is their primary RB and he had one big run week 1 then grinded out some tough runs last week - the OL is still a work in progress. So, I don't think they are going to win running the ball yet and Mascoe probably isn't going to be the reason they win a games yet, but just don't lose them and he needs those receivers to keep being studs to make this offense go. But back to the D, that is the reason I think that Campbell can win games vs the other mid-tier to lower-rung CAA teams, which URI is traditionally mid-tier of late.

As good as the Campbell D was last week and as great of catches their receivers made, Campbell had several negatives in that game last week that vs a better opponent or if their D didn't have such a dominant game - it would've cost them. Campbell threw 2 INTs of their own. Really struggled to score in the RZ, 2 TDs on 6 trips and only scored any points 3 out of 6 overall. They missed 2 FGs and were penalized 16x for 146 yards. It is hard to win with some of those factors going against a team. But the D was just so good they overcame it.

So if I bet Campbell I would be betting on their D, their coaching staff which appears to be an improvement so far because the Minter staff never won big games. Here in just his second game ever as HC, the new coach gets Campbell's first ever win over a ranked opponent. That could propell them to further success because the recruiting has been there for Campbell, it was just never coached properly. So there are definitely play makers at receiver on this team. They still have weakness on the OL and a QB who needs to improve and they need to clean things up.

Rhode Island, they are usually above average type team, not playoff good, but have had a winning record the last 4 seasons. I tend to just want to throw out the game at Minnesota. The D held up early, just a 3-0 game entering the 2Q, but the offense was never in Gopher territory and it was a big shutout loss by 48 pts. Vs a team on their level, week 1 they never trailed vs Holy Cross until under 2 minutes left to go and then they went down and retook the lead with :19 to go for a 20-17 win as a 2.5 pt fav. URI D did a good job in that game allowing them to overcame a -3 TO ratio and only scored 1 TD on 4 RZ trips while outgaining HC 396-271 (5.8-5.0). For this game here, I just don't know who Rhode Island is yet. Taking the best aspects I saw last week from Campbell would have me lean their way. Line hasn't moved since it opened I don't think, still +4.5.

How would you power rate kennessaw state to sac state ?...San jose is a weak fav imo but not gonna take it if kennessaw isn't better then sac

How would you power rate kennessaw state to sac state ?...San jose is a weak fav imo but not gonna take it if kennessaw isn't better then sac

I stopped tracking Kennedaw about mid season last year. In Sac State they have a mistake prone offense, more so when Bennett is QB. They will score but also a prone to screwing up. And their D was bad in a lot of games last year and so far haven’t shown improvement. So in terms of vs San Jose, that is what they did. I haven’t seen or looked at a Kennesaw result probably since October of last year. I don’t use my own power ranking so I can’t answer directly.

I need to do some soul searching on that game. But can they score two FGs or a TD vs Northwestern? I’d think they probably will
I actually considered the side, but figured EIU getting a TD or 2 FGs against the NW D was a higher value play even though getting 24.5 is tempting. Thanks for the response!

Just saw a strange move in ACU - NoColo. I believe I saw that line at open -12.5. Then later Wednesday night it went to 14.5. At some point in the last couple hours it dropped to 10.5.

I said I had taken a small piece of ACU acknowledging that this NoColo team is playing better - but they are historically awful and unlikely to take money vs a team with ACU’s offense. Could be injury related move. In FCS key injuries often go unnoticed until game time however. I’ll see if there is something going on there.

Looks like SFA has moved higher at McNeese-can’t exactly remember, was it SFA-3.5 before? Now 6.5. I hadn’t considered that game much yet. SFA showed well for themselves last week and in 3 games McNeese has mostly disappointed. Even their win vs Southern wasn’t good. There could be a point I get tempted on taking McNeese plus pts. I bet against SFA at NTex last week. Which lost but I hadn’t had the highest opinion of them and by memory they were outgained pretty bad in that one, worse than score would indicate. McNeese doesn’t possess NTex capabilities obviously.

Just saw a strange move in ACU - NoColo. I believe I saw that line at open -12.5. Then later Wednesday night it went to 14.5. At some point in the last couple hours it dropped to 10.5.

I said I had taken a small piece of ACU acknowledging that this NoColo team is playing better - but they are historically awful and unlikely to take money vs a team with ACU’s offense. Could be injury related move. In FCS key injuries often go unnoticed until game time however. I’ll see if there is something going on there.
I had ACU on my short list but missed the open so only saw 14.5-15.5. Now I need to dig deeper as I had it as a play at <13

I had ACU on my short list but missed the open so only saw 14.5-15.5. Now I need to dig deeper as I had it as a play at <13
I did a quick check on my phone and found a twitter reporter but nothing of note. A def player will miss 1H for targeting last week. There does seem to be some buzz within the Northern Colorado fan base about this particular team and their home opener. Some optimism from their play weeks 1 and 2 and encouragement from this coaching staff. I’d definitely still be interested in ACU over them despite whatever optimism fans have. Hard to see the kind of money to move a line coming in on a team like UNC (this ‘other’ UNC)

I did a quick check on my phone and found a twitter reporter but nothing of note. A def player will miss 1H for targeting last week. There does seem to be some buzz within the Northern Colorado fan base about this particular team and their home opener. Some optimism from their play weeks 1 and 2 and encouragement from this coaching staff. I’d definitely still be interested in ACU over them despite whatever optimism fans have. Hard to see the kind of money to move a line coming in on a team like UNC (this ‘other’ UNC)
4pt swing towards a dog like this in the middle of a Friday afternoon makes me hesitant as it’s almost too random though

Bradley shimel is the twitter reporter. Shimelhbcsports and @bchsports He doesn’t have anything though. Maybe later.

And tylergreenetv is another

Found something, but if anything…it’d move the line the other way. From Greeley Tribune 9/12

Northern Colorado football quarterback Peter Costelli, who started the Bears’ first two games of the season, will be out and unavailable for the team’s home opener Saturday against Abilene Christian, UNC head coach Ed Lamb said Tuesday afternoon.

Costelli has a leg injury he suffered late in the Bears’ 38-17 loss Sept. 7 at Colorado State.

UNC is scheduled to host No. 25 Abilene Christian at 2 p.m. Saturday at Nottingham Field in Greeley. The Wildcats (1-1) on Monday were ranked in the Stats Perform Football Championship Subdivision Top 25, which is the first time the program has been nationally ranked since moving to the FCS level of Division I, according to the ACU athletics website.

Lamb discussed the quarterback situation during his weekly news conference at UNC. He said Costelli is hopeful to return this season and hopeful the injury does not require surgery. Lamb did not indicate how long the redshirt senior from San Pedro, California might be out.

Lamb also was not specific on a starter in place of Costelli, who was on the roster a year ago but did not play after transferring from Troy University.

Fifth-year senior Jonah Chong came in for Costelli for the Bears’ final drive during the Colorado State game. He previously played at the University of Nevada and the University of Hawaii.

Graduate transfer Hank Gibbs, who battled with Costelli for the starting job during the spring and summer, also played against CSU in certain situations.

“That formula doesn’t exactly work exactly right anymore, and now we need to open it up a little bit,” Lamb said, also mentioning Kaiden Box, a sophomore from Skyline High School and Longmont, as being in the mix. “We’ll figure out from there what our best offense is according to what we have available.”
Costelli , who is listed as 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds on the UNC roster, started his collegiate career at the University of Utah in 2021. He did not play at Utah and announced his transfer to Troy in May 2022.

Costelli was 27 of 48 passing for 328 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions in his first two starts at UNC. He threw the first two touchdown passes of his career this past Saturday at CSU. He threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to tight end Fisher Clements in the first quarter, and connected with receiver Brayden Munroe on 50-yard touchdown in the third quarter.

Saturday’s game against Abilene Christian will be available on ESPN+, the streaming platform. Tickets for the game are available online at tickets.unco.edu.

I’m actually kinda surprised everything has stayed put for the most part since FD released, outside of a few here and there. SIU actually moved a point against me.

Mybookie coming strong with Friday night D2 lines…

New Haven -15.5 at Pace and American International -5.5 at Southern Connecticut.

New Haven has never lost to Pace. No jinx. I took New Haven -15.5 and some ML

I am torn on the American International and Southern Connecticut.

American has a new QB this year. I watched some of their highlights from last week and want them, but I thought they should be a dog here

I did already take Indiana State but didn't say why. The first reason is because it is Dayton. Dayton won week 1 vs ST Francis with just 203 total yards and 3.0 ypp of offense. They lost 2 turnovers of their own, but the 3 that they got on D and where and when they got them were key for their points and eventual win. St Francis played a game that was more like what they are capable of last week and they beat Kent State. They just did not play well week 1 and Dayton and Dayton beat them, that's how it goes sometime. But Dayton wasn't better. They had a bye last week. So I am playing against them and the second reason I'm on this game is because I am genuinely interested in Indiana State against an opponent like this. Indiana State was very unsettled at QB last year. They might've started like 4 different QBs through the first 4 weeks. Owens was in the mix last year as a rFr, started one and it has been his job this year and vs a team more their own speed, last week vs Eastern ILL, he played pretty good, except for 3 INTs. But 30-37-260-3-3 and he led the 44y net rushing. Don't like the INTs, but for me, that isn't all that surprising because I liked EIU in that game and them creating or forcing some turnovers there would kind of be part of the deal when they play an inferior opponent. Turns out that while EIU was better, Indiana State wasn't all that overmatched. Indiana State was only outgained by 20y and played some good run D. The Indiana State DL and LB is the strength of their D and that is going to help them vs a pretty pedestrian team in Dayton. This line opened at 11.5 which I took some at. Then it dropped to 10.5 and I have been waiting to see if it goes further so I can complete my stake on them. I also took some ML. I started playing a lot of favorite MLs last year. I only lost one noteable one last year (Dartmouth losing to Colgate) and did suffer one last week in WCU losing to Campbell. But I'm comfortable laying some sizable odds on favorites up to about the 4:1 range. Different year and team and all, but just to illustrate, Indiana State can win by margin vs a weak opponent. They beat Western Illinois 27-6 last year and were actually a larger favorite in that game then they are vs Dayton here. Probably some respect for Dayton's win vs St Francis who just beat Kent. But I explained why I'm not all that impressed with how Dayton, especially their offense, played against St Francis.

I did already take Indiana State but didn't say why. The first reason is because it is Dayton. Dayton won week 1 vs ST Francis with just 203 total yards and 3.0 ypp of offense. They lost 2 turnovers of their own, but the 3 that they got on D and where and when they got them were key for their points and eventual win. St Francis played a game that was more like what they are capable of last week and they beat Kent State. They just did not play well week 1 and Dayton and Dayton beat them, that's how it goes sometime. But Dayton wasn't better. They had a bye last week. So I am playing against them and the second reason I'm on this game is because I am genuinely interested in Indiana State against an opponent like this. Indiana State was very unsettled at QB last year. They might've started like 4 different QBs through the first 4 weeks. Owens was in the mix last year as a rFr, started one and it has been his job this year and vs a team more their own speed, last week vs Eastern ILL, he played pretty good, except for 3 INTs. But 30-37-260-3-3 and he led the 44y net rushing. Don't like the INTs, but for me, that isn't all that surprising because I liked EIU in that game and them creating or forcing some turnovers there would kind of be part of the deal when they play an inferior opponent. Turns out that while EIU was better, Indiana State wasn't all that overmatched. Indiana State was only outgained by 20y and played some good run D. The Indiana State DL and LB is the strength of their D and that is going to help them vs a pretty pedestrian team in Dayton. This line opened at 11.5 which I took some at. Then it dropped to 10.5 and I have been waiting to see if it goes further so I can complete my stake on them. I also took some ML. I started playing a lot of favorite MLs last year. I only lost one noteable one last year (Dartmouth losing to Colgate) and did suffer one last week in WCU losing to Campbell. But I'm comfortable laying some sizable odds on favorites up to about the 4:1 range. Different year and team and all, but just to illustrate, Indiana State can win by margin vs a weak opponent. They beat Western Illinois 27-6 last year and were actually a larger favorite in that game then they are vs Dayton here. Probably some respect for Dayton's win vs St Francis who just beat Kent. But I explained why I'm not all that impressed with how Dayton, especially their offense, played against St Francis.
I’m waiting to see how low it goes as I’ll probably bite at -9.5.

Delaware at NC A&T...this was a very low scoring game last year, Hens won 21-6 as a 23 pt home fav. QB O'Connor had a terrible game 8-21-57-1-1, in heavy rain. That one INT set up A&T at the D08, but were penalized 15y for unsportsmanlike like so it backed them up. Their QB was running towards the EZ, stretched the ball out and fumbled into and out of the EZ when he was hit. So that was a missed opportunity. With the weather what it was Delaware rushed for 322 (6.9) on 47 carries and they ended with a 379-196 TY edge (5.6-3.3). It was a fairly good performance by A&T vs them, they will probably have some confidence for this one at home. Not sure how far that goes. They barely beat Winston-Salem in OT last week, although they had a 121 TY edge, short field TD for Winston-Salem and a fumble at the goal line for A&T. I think offense is the main liability for A&T in this game as it will be in most games. Delaware had a bye last week so they haven't played since August 29th. Delaware looked strong vs Bryant, then Bryant struggled with a Dll last week. Would think that Delaware handles business here, but probably will be -17 or so and I'm not certain I want to lay that.

Delaware State has been favored twice in the last 3 seasons vs Dl. They lost both outright (both vs Morgan 2022 and 2021). They are projected as a 7.5 or 9 pt fav at home vs Wagner. These offenses in 3 games vs Dl opponents are only averaging 268 ypg and Delaware State, Wagner combined have scored a total of 44 pts in those 3 games. Yet this total could be over 50? (Massey 51). Two teams that aren't good, Wagner was 4-7 last year, their best record in years and has a lot back on O except for the QB. Multi-year backup Mazil is the primary guy so far and they played a Dll transfer Cady some vs Va-Lynchburg week 1. Wagner's D made a big jump in ppg and ypg allowed last year. They did just let Lehigh score 49. but 5 of their TD drives started in Wagner territory. Can't really envision Delaware State beating many teams by much of a margin. They were +4 turnovers at SHU and only won that one by 2.

Duquesne dropped back down to where it opened 21.5 at after being 24.5 for a few days. YSU was -21.5 vs them last year as well. Better YSU team that was. Better Duquesne team too, but most of their team is back, just down a couple receivers and their leading rusher really. Tough opening stretch for Duquesne, they've been outgained like 1000-315 and outscored 10-105 vs Toledo and BC! This will be a tougher offense to deal with compared to Valpo last week with the experienced Perrantes at QB. What YSU really struggled with last week was the running QB Valpo used. That isn't Perrantes. So from that standpoint, vs a traditional offense, YSU's inexperienced D could perform better. Last year's D held them to just 7 pts and 148y in the 1st round playoff game. Would assume Dukes do a little better this time. Tough to lay the same line as last year with a, hate to say worse, but lesser YSU team vs a similar Duquesne team. YSU has Pitt on deck. Could see some backdoor potential on Duquesne here. YSU should get into the 40s and how the 4Q goes probably determines the cover. Could be an Over game, but or that to happen I expect Duquesne will need to score more than they did vs YSU last time.

I don't have much to say for support of Eastern Illinois this time. They were better than Indiana State last week, but not that much better. Kind of like last year when they played in several close games which has kept me from being comfortable laying many points with them when they play a lesser team. Now they are playing Big Ten for 2nd time in 3 weeks and week 1 they were really outmanned. I do assume they will compete better vs Northwestern, based on Northwestern's recent performance vs some group of 5 and FCS teams if nothing else. And I would also think that week 1 was a big eye opener for EIU vs Illinois, being better prepared for the size and speed should help. Preparation is one thing, execution is another. This team just hasn't shown us that they can 1) really dominate a weaker opponent and 2) can punch over their weight vs even a playoff team or FBS team. So I can't make any kind of case here on playing them. I'm not interested in expecting NW to cover a 24.5 pt line because anytime NW has been a DD fav, they fail to cover. Nearly lost last year as a 23.5 pt favorite over Howard (Howard outgained them). Were DD favs twice in 2022 and lost both outright (one to an FCS team SIU). Were -28.5 in 2021 and only won by 18 vs Indiana State. They did win and cover that year as a DD fav vs Ohio. Just not the kind of team you expect them to dominate against anyone. So that leaves a maybe on EIU

I have no idea what to do with a team like Eastern Washington or Southeast Louisiana right now

Western Carolina at Elon is a tough pick. WCU O was really humbled last week and Elon has a capable defense as well. I would never have expected that to happen the way it did for them at home vs Campbell. But that is the improvement in one team year over year with a new staff in place. What WCU team shows up here? The one that went toe-to-toe with NC State for 3+ quarters, or the one that was lost last week? Suppose I would lean Elon to win if I had to, but I don't think I have to.

Posted some on the Fordham - CCSU game last week. There were 19 total fumbles in that game! That's got to be a record or something. 9 fumbles lost. Fordham struggled 1H vs BGSU but they did accumulate a total of 401 yards in that game and I think they can get back on track offensively this week. Stony Brook may be turning it around a bit this year with a new staff and new QB and had some good offense last week, but still yielded yards on D vs Stonehill. Massey shows a 55.5 total on this game. Depending on one's numbers, this could be the lowest total for a Fordham game this year and also depending, Fordham has gone Under twice on the season as has Stony Brook. But both teams have shown they can move the ball while also giving it up on D. I would side with Over in this game if it is a good number in the lower 50s. Fordham should win, but I'd be hesitant laying much with them right now (Massey -7.5 / Sagarin-5).

Huge number for Furman vs Stetson. Sleepy posted that list of some of the big favorites this year and it hasn't gone so well for a lot of them. I would really have to like a favorite to lay a big line, like Montana this week (or like I did with E Wash last week - d'oh!). Don't think I do the same with Furman and not interested in Stetson. Furman was only 2-3 ATS last year laying more than 20 pts and that was a really good Furman team, this is a Pioneer team though. Stetson opened this year with two NAIA teams this year as they like to do. I have no idea on the quality of those teams, but this year for Stetson they have outscored their two NAIA opponents 76-3. Last year they only outscored them 72-61 and had to go to OT to win one of them. Meitz is still around at QB for them. third year of on-and-off starting. Stetson has some experience playing good teams as big dogs, last year they were +48 at Montana State and lost 20-57 and +32.5 at Princeton two years ago losing 14-39. It's a lot of points. Maybe Over 46.5? Don't think Stetson gets shutout and as long as Stetson hasn't made some kind of miraculous improvement on D, Furman O should put up a pretty good number and take out some frustration.

Georgetown was -1.5 with a total of 43.5 week 2 last year vs Sacred Heart and won at home 27-10 with a 420-170 TY edge (6.8-4.1). I want to be cautious in laying too many on the road here, but the Sacred Heart O has shown little to nothing this year 574 total yards of offense and a total of 25 pts in two games vs power houses Delaware State and Dll's St Anselm. Yuck. They had been tough at home, until last year, and performed poorly as a dog last year as well (1-4 ATS). I haven't been following them for more than a year, but it seems they are sliding and are down at their QB and skill positions. GT should win this, but would only lay like 6 or less (Massey -6.5, Sagarin -5). Georgetown is already 1-0 as a road fav this year vs a nonscholarship team that was playing their first game of the year. Last year they were just a road fav twice and while they did cover both, it was tight - GT-2.5 at Bucknell 50-47 ot, GT-3 at Lehigh 17-7.

Last edited:
Here is what I took Wednesday and thereafter, UIW and UCA are overweighted

Illinois State -34.5
Montana -33.5
Ind State -11.5 and ML-400, but want some more ATS just waiting for better line
Campbell+4.5 small
Samford-7.5 and ML-300
Central Ark -13.5 and ML-550
The Word+7.5 and ML+230
Tex AM Com ML-125
Lamar+11.5 and 12.5, ML+340 and Under 52.5
ACU -12.5 small

Interested in taking:

Lehigh - low number or hopefully +
Colgate perhaps
Tenn State -about 10-ish
Richmond -about 10-ish
Bucknell -low number or pick'em
Wagner +maybe
Eastern Illinois+24.5 maybe, line is out haven't played it yet
SB/Fordham Over low 50s hopefully
Stet/Furman Over 46.5, line is out haven't played it yet
Georgetown -low number

I talked about Charlotte, never took anything and it went from 8.5 to 14.5 so I missed that.

I'm still working through the list

Holy Cross has played two very close and emotional games that weren't decided until late. Week 1 saw 2 lead changes in the final minute and last week HC lost the lead in the 4Q and couldn't come back. They ran well on URI, couldn't run on UNH. Couldn't pass much on URI, but did pass it all over vs UNH. So they've shown they both can and can't do those things. They should be able to both run and pass, even though Sluka is gone, their QB Pesansky got experience last year and they still have Fuller at RB. They've been bad on 3rd down in both games. I think they can get the win at Bryant because Bryant is struggling, but I'm not interested in laying any kind of number on the road with them. -7 or -13.5 are the projected PR lines from Sagarin and Massey.

That feels like a lot of points for Idaho to cover. Their D has been outstanding. Their O has not, but they've played Oregon and Wyoming so that is understandable to a point. Vandals have converted 12.2% of their 3rd downs on offense this year! And their #2 QB got knocked out of the Wyoming game. I heard he should be ok to play here, Wagner, I would want to verify. #1 Lynch is already out. This is a huge revenge game as Albany beat them in the Kibbie dome playoffs last year. Last year's Albany team to this year is about as apples - oranges as you can get. Still over 2 TDs for an offensively limited team...it feels like a lot of points. Idaho was 6-5 ATS as a fav last year, 3-4 ATS as a 2 TD or less fav. Not an automatic cover vs teams they were supposed to beat. Same D, worse O this year. Albany is all different, except their OL and running game which didn't get on track week 1 vs LIU nor last week at WVU. Their O should get better every week one would think with the new QB and receivers. WR Jacari Carter was supposed to be the splash WR, but Seven McGee has had a bigger impact so far. As it goes their receivers should be fine, it all comes down to how well Burkett plays. Defensively, the expecations are low for the Danes, I don't know much about them honestly. Idaho is essentially on the 3rd string QB from last year, Wagner, with last year's #2 becoming this year's #1, Layne, out from the Oregon game. The price is too high for me on Idaho, but I definitely would take them to win. But on the line, I'd rather take the points if I was playing it.

Idaho State is playing Kobe Tracey at QB, Utah Tech transfer. Think they want to redshirt Cooke who was last year's starter. QB is going to put numbers in this system and Tracey is capable. Idaho State showed some flashes of potential last year under Cody Hawkins. Coach Dan Hawkins is on this staff too, or an analyist or something. Last year they played Davis tough. Upset wins vs E Wash and Port State, I know, but they were DD dogs in both of those. Then they also got blown out a few times. Defense was not their specialty. Don't know much on their team this year. Likely taking another step forward to being competitive with the rest of the Big Sky teams they historically got blown out by. Seemed like they hung tough at Oregon State week 1 and then played West Oregon last week and they did what you'd expect there. This spread at North Dakota has about moved a full TD from open at 17 or 17.5 it was. Bobby Hauck asked what North Dakota did last week in the 2H he said just "a bunch of 4 yard gains". And that is all they needed. Knowing Idaho State's D has we have, it is hard to see them getting many stops. The UND QB has not been great this year - Romfo 11-24-97-0-1 last week vs Montana. He does offer running capability which helps. Funny thing, in 2018 when UND beat #5 Sam Houston and in 2019 when UND beat #12 UC Davis, the next week they played Idaho State and Bengals beat them both years! In hindsight I would've loved to have some +17.5, but I didn't know what I wanted when that line came out. I'm not going to lay the chalk either though even at the lower number. Could see a close game, just having passed on all the good numbers as it moved on down, hard for me to come in on it now.

I guess I kind of like Jackson State, but do envision a low scoring game as the total suggests it will be. Best part of the Southern team remains their D, especially the front 7. If they have a vulnerablility on D it is the back end. Southern's O is kind of an unknown, new HC and new OC. Their backup QB from last year Bodden was in line to be the guy this year, but he was benched in the 1H when they were trailing Savannah State and they inserted a rFr QB Teasett and he went the rest of the way. The OL doesn't look that good. The Southern O was pretty bad vs McNeese, that was with Bodden at QB though. Jackson should be the better team, maybe Southern has better DL and LB players, but Jackson would get the nod all around otherwise and I'd expect them to win. Suppose I wasn't as impressed with Jackson from week 1 as I thought I would be so I haven't rushed to play them here, but if I were to take somebody here, I would be more likely to lay it with Jackson.

Huge line for Lafayette home vs Marist. I can't lay that and doubt I have any interest in Marist. First layup game for Lafayette this year. They won a couple games by 34 and 28 last year, this is a tall task at -30.5. New team for Marist. They had some good energy on D in game 1 last week vs Georgetown. Their O couldn't do much and I wouldn't expect them to do much vs Lafayette either.

Missouri State must be really disappointed in how their season has started. Played Montana really tough week 1 and I'm sure they had to think they could win that game last week and Ball State just pulled away from them in the 2H and it felt more like a 2 score game than a 1 score 7 pt game it was. Ball State outgained them by 115y and converted a ton of 3rd downs on them, 63%, ran the ball well (173 4.2) and were 72% completions for 262y passing. So Missouri State is either pissed off or self doubt may be creaping in. One would think Lindenwood provides a good opponent to take out some frustrations on. Last time Lindenwood played a MVFC team it was at Illinois STate last year and it was close for a half (20-14 HT) but Ill St won 48-17 with a 207 yard edge. Lindenwood has allowed over 500y in 2 games this year (UCA and Kansas) and been outscored 82-16 and outgained by about 300 ypg. Somehow the UCA game was strangely kind of close. UCA didn't get ahead of the 20.5 pt spread until 3 min left and they only covered by 1/2 pt. UCA did outgain them by 554-258 (-296y) but Lindenwood actually kicked a couple of short FGs form the 3 and 16 yard lines leaving me to think they were in position for more points than they ultimately finished with. I don't really like the idea of laying 24.5 with Missouri State, but vs obviously inferior teams they did hammer Utah Tech at home last year 59-14 (-13) and at Western Ill 48-7 (-17), but then played a close one vs Murray 28-24 (-19.5). So I think that is the way I would go.

I like Monmouth this week. Defense this year, as it was last year, will be a concern with them. But here they travel to Maine and they have Maine's former multi-year QB and he is putting up some really strong numbers as Monmouth QBs have done before him. Monmouth got off to a slow start on the red turf in Cheney week 1, but did finish that game strong (came from 28 down to lose just by 15) and last week was a barn burner vs Lafayette. Monmouth blew a late lead and lost 35-40. On the year they are averaging over 7 yard per play and have posted 429 and 439 total yards in their games this year and Robertson has passed for 390 in each with a good % a 7-3 ratio. Maine might look like they played respectable at Montana State but they really did not. They trailed by 31 at HT and got 220 of their yards and 17 pts in the 2H vs Montana State's backups. Maybe that served as good practice for them, but I haven't been high on Maine this year as I played Colgate against them week 1. Maine may've been the better team there, but not by much. They didn't play last year. This could be a short fav spot either way. Monmouth played in close games on the CAA road last year competing closely with William and Mary, Elon and beating Towson - better teams than Maine.

Mercer at Chattanooga is another tough game. Mercer has new staff and a lot of new players on offense, but many of their defensive players off a good D unit stayed. They have played such a weak opening schedule vs Presbyterian and Bethune Cookman it is really hard to know what they have. I do think their D is good, maybe not allowed 12 pts all year good, but good. Vs those teams they have turned in 25 TFLs! It is the offense that I am unsure of. Chattanooga is just the opposite. They traveled to play Tennessee and Georgia State last week. So they've challenged themselves vs better teams and better players. That may pay off here, but if the Mercer D is in fact good like I think it is, game could be struggle for them. I suspect that the UTC D is going to be good enough to slow a Mercer O as well. Under 48.5 doesn't sound awful. First respectable D new Mercer O has played. UTC used to playing tough Ds in the FBS. Game was 22-10 last year for a UTC win on the road as a 1 pt dog on a 51.5 pt total. UTC outgained them 351-280 (4.9-4.7). Mercer -3 TOs. Teams were in the RZ 8x and only combined for 2 TDs down there. UTC kicked 5 FGs. Not really sure. Lean Under, but don't necessarily want it.

Not really sure about this Mercyhurst team. Beat Wheeling 28-25 then trailed Howard 3-21 yet took a 31-27 lead with :41. Well that became 31-29 after the xpt was blk'd and ran back which allowed Howard to make a walk-off FG and win by 1. I don't know. Robert Morris lost to Edinboro and never looked like the better team at any point. Maybe all that attention over the highlight INT at Utah State distracted them. They only put up 224 (4.6) total yards last week! They basically lost on a safety after Edinboro downed a punt in the 4Q at the 1 and then got a safety to win by 2. I'd pick Robert Morris to win, but I think the line is going to be 10-15 and I don't know these teams to say really.

Murray State is over a 2 TD favorite against somebody, kind of funny. That somebody is Mississippi Valley who everyone is mutliple TDs favored over. Valley is 1-0-1 by my count ATS this year though so no money to be made fading them thus far. Murray just lost to Butler as a 10 pt home fav and they were outgained by 200 yards! So they have some work to do. Can't really see how they are favored by this many, but I don't bet Mississippi Valley like ever.

Did take Montana, never went into why and don't really know why. Just feel pretty good that Griz are going to pound a bad team, first bad team they have got to play. QBs should perform. OL should move people, running game should produce. D should smoother and somebody will score a nonoffensive TD or two. Huge step up for Morehead State as they have opened this season with two Dll teams. Morehead had a couple bad losses last year, like losing at Tarleton 0-42 and vs Butler 7-49. Griz can do that or better. Off a loss, should be a focused group. They do have Western Carolina on deck. They have kind of co-#1 QBs so if they sit one with a lead, the other should keep the offense moving.

Last year New Hampshire was -21 at Stonehill week 1 and they jumped on them 37-10 HT going on to win 51-17. This may be a pretty good UNH team, we will find out, played pretty well last week. I'm afraid this line may be too high to turn me off. Stonehill was +10 last week at Stony Brook and SB won big, but Stonehill did accumulate yards just didn't cash in for points, so this is not an inept team. I'm sure this line will be atleast 20 and I don't know if I want that or not. Not sure I trust the new QB yet, how the offense operates yet. HC did gain 388 (6.5) on UNH D last week.

Another Big Sky - Southland game I'm not sure what to do with is Nicholls - Sac State. I started out likeing Sac State's potential this year. But D is still a liability and offense is very inconsistent and turnovers turnovers turnovers - 5 vs San Jose and 3 vs Fresno. They did gain 3 each in those games as well. Poor completion %, just 50% in both. I got burned kind of partially on Nicholls week 1 vs LaTech, covered some lines, lost some lines and lost my ML on them which I had a pretty good feeling about pregame. And they didn't play well there, so it makes one gun shy to call on them again so soon. Then they come out, have some 13 play drives on LSU, busted a big run and scored double what I would've expected they could at LSU last week. Offense was significantly better than they were at LaTech. Go figure! Now Sac State's defensive nature being what it is, that could be opportunity for Nicholls. I have seen McQuade be so up and down though. I don't know which is harder to trust, McQuade and the Nicholls O or Sac State? Both aren't consistent in any way. Just a hunch, something tells me that Nicholls is a tigher group and better coached, more stable. I would not be surprised to see Nicholls win this outright as 9.5 pt dogs. Playing LSU the way they did, the improvement over week 1 has to give them some belief they can be the team they want to be. Sac State lose two FBS games to instate California schools when they probably had realistic ideas this summer they could beat one or both of them. Home opener, so can't really call it a let down spot for them, off those two particular games it does feel a litlte like it is. Weird scheduling quirk, this is Sac State's only home game until 10/12.

Last edited:
I actually had (and lost with) Lamar last week as a 3 TD fav vs MVSU. They dominated early on as MVSU had no answer for the running game but Lamar couldn’t get out of their own way as they had 18 penalties for 157 (had to look it up as I remembered it was a ton and at the worst times). Not touching Murray State at 16.5, because they are bad, but MVSU is bad as well and I would probably lean under if I had to pick, but staying far away from that one.

I actually had (and lost with) Lamar last week as a 3 TD fav vs MVSU. They dominated early on as MVSU had no answer for the running game but Lamar couldn’t get out of their own way as they had 18 penalties for 157 (had to look it up as I remembered it was a ton and at the worst times). Not touching Murray State at 16.5, because they are bad, but MVSU is bad as well and I would probably lean under if I had to pick, but staying far away from that one.

Yikes! I missed those penalties from Lamar in the box score. Holy cow.

I remember last year, pretty sure we both were trying to get lowest numbers on Jackson and FAMU vs Miss Valley when they opened and inexplicably Valley covered them both! It's just a team you want to play against, but somehow the games are weird and what should be ends up not being.

Heard a stat, since 2019 North Dakota is 26-3 at home, but 6-21 on the road. Dome Sweet Alerus Dome.

As for the other North Dakota team, the Bison, think it is cool to see them take a decent road trip within the FCS as they are at East Tennessee State this week. Basically NDSU at last year's Gardner Webb team. It's not your ordinary team off back-to-back 3-8 seasons with a new coaching staff with all the transfers from GW. I am looking forward to seeing ETSU in SoCon play this year, this obviously is a tall task. Because I think ETSU has some capability and good FCS players - if they get their offense going this could be a game to watch. At 26.5 however that is probably just below were I could take a stab at ETSU to hang around. NDSU last year on the road, Bison won a few games between 21-28 pts, but none by more than that. In their 3 big road wins last year, in each one, they got up big 1H and then cruised it out in the 2H with the losing team closing the gap over the final 2 quarters. Could definitely see that this week. Huge home game for the new staff and if Bison do get up big, it would likely be more important for ETSU to play to the end in front of the home crowd rather than Bison making sure they keep their foot on the gas, so back door could remain open.

North Alabama is off their best game of the season, a 17-24 pt home loss to Illinois State as 13.5 pt dog. They are still lacking though as Ill St cruised it out in the 4Q after leading 24-10 and UNA gained 130y on their final 3 drives. Ill St outgained them 478-411 (6.5-6.1), but Ill St probably could've won by more there. I don't have much of a pulse on UNA this year and I haven't seen UT Martin at all, which is a shame because the UTM-SEMO game last week looks like it was fantastic, but I had other priority games on instead. Tough loss for UTM to bounce back from and they beat this UNA team 37-21 and shut out UNA in the 2H. This is just a pass for me

Seeing Northern Arizona potentially a DD road fav is weird to me. I was pretty down on this team coming into the year. They played Lincoln week 1 and then they showed really well vs Arizona last week - only ened with 198 TY (3.5) but they led Zona 10-6 at HT. Maybe Zona isn't any good. I had a low opinion of NAU this season and was plotting spots to play against them. Not quite sure Utah Tech is that team...they are bad and have lost by a combined 21-103 and outgained by a total of 707 yards vs Montana State and UNLV. I still want to play against NAU, Utah Tech doesn't feel like the team to do it. Add in the fact that Utah Tech went into Flagstaff and beat them last year 50-36 at a 10 pt dog. Different staff and several different players - but no doubt that has been on everyone's minds.

Preseason I would've thought that Portland State had a shot to beat South Dakota at home. I have not seen anything good from Portland State this year though. I took a run at them last week as I thought Weber was trending wrong direction and thought that Portland St had some O, has a QB that can make some things happen. No they just stink. South Dakota is a respectable team, tough - like the bigger Dakota schools. Good D, efficient O, run game - everything that Portland State is not. But this line is such I can't take USD laying that much on the road. Portland State coach has been there a long long time. Might be coming to an end because this season appears to be heading for a terrible record and a bunch of ugly losses.

Southern Utah is interesting to me here. I'd like to get 7 or 7.5 with them. UC Davis struggled to beat them last year in week 3 23-21 as a 17.5 pt home fav and Southern Utah outgained them slightly. UCD couldn't score in the RZ in that one, same problem they had last week vs Tex AM Commerce. I'm kind of disappointed in UCD. They did cover at Cal, but maybe I expected more there, they played a terrible 2H. And they really weren't good last week, I laid the pts with them so maybe I'm just a little bitter. Home opener for SUU who has a respected coaching staff that has them competing vs most teams and crafting successful gameplans. SUU was 7.5 home dog and 8.5 pt home dogs last year vs Central Ark and Austin Peay, two pretty good teams and SUU lost those games by a combined 5 pts. 2 years ago they were +4.5 home vs SFA and lost by 3. I think highly enough of UCD still that I don't think they lose here, but I do believe it looks like a 1 possession game. I am surprised it isn't Bronson or Pacot at QB guys with successful starts at other schools. The QB who played at UTEP is your run around throw around type. Maybe his legs create some plays, but honestly I would feel better if it was one of the other two QBs that I know. SUU finds ways to compete though, 3-0 ATS their last 3 as a home dog. Competed strong with this UC Davis team last year. Home opener. Momentum off a FBS win. UC Davis some unexpected struggles here and there. Should be a good game.

I've been looking at that line with Towson - Villanova all week and keep thinking, man that is a lot of points. Villanova has not put it together this season. Played a good 1H vs YSU, not good 2H. Played a good 2H vs Colgate last week, not a good 1H. I don't know if the expectations are getting to them and they have some pressure to be this or do that rather than just letting it happen. Their offense only finished with 336 TY vs YSU (7.1) and 279 TY vs 'Gate (4.7). They have identical +15 total yard edges through 2 games as DD favorites. Underperforming. The D has been good...but it's a run heavy YSU team that isn't geared towards passing now and it's a Colgate offense, that is a Colgate offense. Not the toughest matchups for the Nova D. Towson offensively could be their biggest challenge to date, however last year this Nova D forced Towson into their worst FCS game of the year (10 pts 211 TY - Nova won 33-10 as a 18 pt home fav). Towson defensively could also allow Villanova O to get loose for the first time this year. Line ticked down from 22.5 to 21.5 over the course of the week. Have a feeling Towson hangs within 21 and the game goes Over. There isn't any good reason that Villanova O won't eventually click given time. Two games of underwhelming performances over a 4Q game...Towson historiclally isn't the strongest defensive team. With totals in the 50s vs FCS last year, Towson went Over 4 out of 5, Villanova went Over 4 out of 6 on totals in the 50s last year. I take a little bit of confidence from Towson's week 1 game at Cincy when they put up 438y (5.9) and 20 pts - of course they allowed 658 (10.4) and 38 pts. Morgan can muddy a game up so I kind of throw that Towson game out from last week.

That's most of the games. Now I have to see how it all fits together with the rest of the lines coming out here soon I assume.

Last edited:
I'd like to place some bets at Heritage to work towards my rollover, but all the US books are ahead of the offshores now

Colgate clicked down to 13. I waited too long. GA Tech up to 45.5 now. Im really tempted to take that on VMI.

Great stuff. Get it today.

This is definitely a fun time of the day. I like watching the lines move and then going back and finding the ones that haven't moved yet

I saw your notes on Morgan State. How does that Morgan run D/front 7 match up because Ohio is going to try to run it down their throats IMO? If they can hold up, OU QB Navarro is nothing special through the air...

Back