Playoff Semifinal: Oklahoma vs Louisiana State

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Like the other thread there are a few off-shoots but lets get some good discussion going all in one spot.

I believe we have a few Tiger and Sooner fans, amirite?

So oklahoma is showing up for a participation trophy and a fat pay check...cool.

Can we sub in another team who'd like to bring their full roster?

So oklahoma is showing up for a participation trophy and a fat pay check...cool.

Can we sub in another team who'd like to bring their full roster?
The 1978 Orange Bowl was a college football bowl game played on January 2, 1978, featuring the Arkansas Razorbacks against the heavily-favored Oklahoma Sooners.[1][2][3][4]

The sixth-ranked Razorbacks were 10–1, but were heavy underdogs to the #2 Sooners. Earlier in the day, top-ranked Texas and their Heisman Trophy-winning running back Earl Campbell had lost the Cotton Bowl 38–10 to #5 Notre Dame (led by quarterback Joe Montana). Oklahoma now had the inside track to the national championship, if they beat Arkansas. In the regular season, Texas defeated Oklahoma and Arkansas on consecutive weekends en route to its 11–0 record.

To complicate matters for Arkansas, first-year head coach Lou Holtz suspended three players prior to the game for team violations.[1] Two of those players, running backs Ben Cowins and Donny Bobo, had together accounted for 78% of their points.[5] Oklahoma was led by redshirt sophomore halfback Billy Sims, a future Heisman Trophy winner, and on defense by safety Darrol Ray and linebacker Daryl Hunt.

Although the suspended Arkansas players protested, Holtz refused to back down and the suspensions stood. Already considered a heavy underdog to Oklahoma, with the loss of those starters Arkansas was expected to give little competition in the game. Arkansas was an 18-point underdog prior to the suspensions. After the suspensions, they were given as 24-point underdogs by Las Vegas oddsmakers.[6] The Orange Bowl would likely decide the national championship; it did, but not in the way that most expected.[7]

Backup running back Roland Sales started for Arkansas in the place of Cowins. With Sales doing most of the running of the ball, Arkansas out-rushed Oklahoma 126 yards to 116 yards in the first half, with Sims fumbling the ball early in the first quarter causing the Razorbacks to recover on the Oklahoma 9 yard line. That resulted in a Sales touchdown (followed by a PAT kicker Steve Little). Another Oklahoma fumble by Kenny King resulted in another Arkansas touchdown rushed in by Hog quarterback Ron Calcagni in the first quarter. In the second half, Sales rushed for another touchdown, Brian White rushed for a touchdown and Little kicked a field goal. A ferocious Arkansas defense, led by defensive tackle Dan Hampton, built a 24–0 lead after three quarters. Oklahoma scored early in the fourth, but the two-point conversion attempt failed.[5]

Sales rushed 22 times for 205 yards, an Orange Bowl record; he also caught four passes for 52 yards and rushed for two touchdowns. Arkansas defeated Oklahoma 31–6.

Last edited:
Rumors about CEH

I’ve heard hammie, carted off the field, and walking with crutches

None confirmed and I keep seeing threads deleted...

Obv huge news
Yup. I was just coming to share the same. Obviously, a concerted effort is being made to cover this up so it seems to be true unfortunately. The importance of CLYDE in the entire offense (chipping) can not be overstated. Fkn Blows!

Ronnie Perkins and back up RB Rhamondre Stevenson look to be the 2 big names that are suspended for the Peach Bowl

Yup. I was just coming to share the same. Obviously, a concerted effort is being made to cover this up so it seems to be true unfortunately. The importance of CLYDE in the entire offense (chipping) can not be overstated. Fkn Blows!

My takeaway from our game with LSU was that CEH was easily the 2nd best player on the team. Or at least 2nd most important. Without him, we may have gotten the stops we needed in the 2nd half. He's a baller

My takeaway from our game with LSU was that CEH was easily the 2nd best player on the team. Or at least 2nd most important. Without him, we may have gotten the stops we needed in the 2nd half. He's a baller
He was a beast that day without a doubt. It’s possible 3 or 4 of the top 5 plays of the season were accomplished by him in that game. He certainly didn’t receive the praise he earned in comparison to others on the team. Outside of pass protection he wasn’t really relied on to win many games outside of that one but he certainly made an OL that was slightly above average for much of the season look like the best one we’ve ever had down the stretch.

RP will be missed vs that strong Tiger OL. We don't exactly have depth. We were already in some trouble here. This was bad news. Oh well. Kids do what kids do.

RP will be missed vs that strong Tiger OL. We don't exactly have depth. We were already in some trouble here. This was bad news. Oh well. Kids do what kids do.
Crazy part is going into the season LSU fans were terrified of the Oline fielded

Back