Is there a chance he'd take us back?

Which would make it better to be sure, but you and I both know AZ's not stupid enough to do that deal.

You have to give up a one. At this rate, to keep him from NY--even though they seem to be willing to swallow a Brady Quinn-like draft bomb--I would consider a one, two, and a three. I'd start with the one and the three this year with a conditional like fourth or whatever next year based on play. But if they pressed me I'd go one, two, and three this year and proceed to trade all those late round picks to get back up into both the second and third rounds.

http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=472

icon9.gif

i read somewhere if they did it would be like a third of their cap towards the qb and 2 wrs...

theyre just not gonna do that

Heres a trade target ive heard the last few days:

BILLS, PETERS STILL WAY APART ON A NEW DEAL

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2009, 12:02 p.m.
Bills tackle Jason Peters wanted a new contract last year.
He still wants one.
After ending a lengthy holdout in 2008, the team and the starting left tackle have yet to get together on a new deal. According to the Buffalo News, the two sides are more than $3 million per year apart.
Peters still has two years left on his current deal; he’s due to receive a salary of $3.8 million in 2009 and $3.4 million in 2010.
Panthers tackle Jordan Gross recently signed a six-year contract averaging $10 million per season. Peters presumably wants something in that same ballpark.
As Mark Gaughan of the News points out, the Bills could opt to trade Peters, who at 27 still has several years of significant production remaining.

We'd have the biggest OL in the league. Perhaps the best, too.

Not sure that matters as much when you're totally thin at the skill positions.

Rebuilding Rams release WR Holt

Comment Email Print Share <script type="text/javascript"> var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Rams%20part%20ways%20with%20standout%20receiver%20Holt", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3978180", published: "2009-03-13" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink")); </script>
<cite class="source"> By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive </cite>
<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->After they failed to gain trade value, the Rams announced Friday they have released wide receiver Torry Holt.
<!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (BEGIN) -->
NFL.com Video
Marc Bulger passes deep left to Torry Holt for 31-yard touchdown.

<!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (END) -->Holt had a $1.25 million roster bonus due March 17, and the Rams didn't plan to keep him at his $8 million salary. As they did earlier this week with left tackle Orlando Pace, the Rams parted ways with Holt.
"The Rams will forever be grateful for the way Torry Holt represented the Rams on the field and in the community," Rams owner Chip Rosenbloom said. "He is an All Pro in every sense of the word. Over the past 10 seasons, Torry has proven himself to be one of the finest wide receivers in league history. This is a difficult decision because Torry has meant so much to the organization. In my mind and for all Rams fans, Torry will always be a Ram and we wish him and his family nothing but the best as they move forward."
The releases of Holt and Pace cleared out $14 million of cap room for the Rams. Holt, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection, ranks 11th on the league's all-time reception list with 869 catches. He started 147 games in 10 seasons.

The Eagles have to take a look at this guy. He's the same age as TJ Hous, and he will come at a cheaper price. I'm sure he'll want to go to a winner with a solid QB also.

The Eagles need to get their head out of their *ss, that's the bottom line.

By the end of the weekend they should either have traded for Boldin or moved on someone like Holt. Because Holt's not going to be there in three weeks and either the Boldin deal is going to happen or it's not. I don't see AZ dragging this out for a month.

Eagles interested in Bills linebacker Crowell

The Philadelphia Inquirer and NFL.com are reporting the Philadelphia Eagles have contacted the agent for Buffalo Bills free agent linebacker Angelo Crowell but have not made a contract offer. Crowell is represented by Todd France, who also represents Brian Westbrook.
According to the report, Crowell visited Detroit on Wednesday and Tampa Bay on Monday, according to the report. St. Louis also has expressed interest. Crowell, 27, missed all of last season following knee surgery and is not expected to be cleared for full football workouts until after the draft.
The report stated Crowell surprised the Bills by having the arthroscopic surgery in late August. Although the surgery would have required a recovery period of one to four weeks, the team put him on injured reserve. That issue seemingly ensured that he would not be back in Buffalo when his contract expired.
He is listed at 6-1, 246 and was a third-round pick of the Bills in the 2003 draft. A 5-year veteran, he had a career-high 126 tackles in 16 games in 2007. His older brother, Germane, is a former NFL wide receiver.

This is interesting. I'm not a Gocong fan, and Akeem Jordan played well down the stretch. So, I'm assuming this guy would start at Sam linebacker over Gocong. And then maybe move Gocong back to his college position DE.

But...

Mar 13 Steve Wyche, of NFL.com, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have entered preliminary contract negations with unrestricted free-agent LB Angelo Crowell (Bills).

just for you smoke ....

<TABLE class="infobox vevent" style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" width=300><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2><TABLE class=nowraplinks style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; BACKGROUND: #f9f9f9; LINE-HEIGHT: 95%" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="50%">Oakland Raiders</TD><TD align=middle width="50%">Philadelphia Eagles</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>(AFC)</TD><TD align=middle>(NFC)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>27</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=center><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH></TH><TH width=15>1</TH><TH width=15>2</TH><TH width=15>3</TH><TH width=15>4</TH><TH width=25>Total</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>OAK</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>14</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>10</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>3</TD><TD>27</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>PHI</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>3</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>7</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

just for you smoke ....

<table class="infobox vevent" style="font-size: 90%;" width="300"><tbody><tr><td style="text-align: center;" colspan="2"></td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" align="middle"><table class="nowraplinks" style="background: rgb(249, 249, 249) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; font-size: 95%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial; line-height: 95%;" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td width="50%" align="middle">Oakland Raiders</td><td width="50%" align="middle">Philadelphia Eagles</td></tr><tr><td align="middle">(AFC)</td><td align="middle">(NFC)</td></tr><tr><td style="font-size: 300%; line-height: 100%;" align="middle">27</td><td style="font-size: 300%; line-height: 100%;" align="middle">10</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="background-color: transparent;" align="center"><tbody><tr style="text-align: center;"><th>
</th><th width="15">1</th><th width="15">2</th><th width="15">3</th><th width="15">4</th><th width="25">Total</th></tr><tr style="text-align: center;"><td align="right">OAK</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">14</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">0</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">10</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">3</td><td>27</td></tr><tr style="text-align: center;"><td align="right">PHI</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">0</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">3</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">7</td><td bgcolor="#e0e6eb">0</td><td>10</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Thats great...wasnt even born then...didnt care then, dont care now

But I can see being a Raiders fan thats all you have to cling on to...

Even though you never saw it or celebrated it...

Stop living in the past bro

Joe watched it. One of the first games I ever remember watching. And it still bothers me.

It's one way I know I was born to be a Birds fan.

=|

Thats great...wasnt even born then...didnt care then, dont care now

But I can see being a Raiders fan thats all you have to cling on to...

Even though you never saw it or celebrated it...

Stop living in the past bro

I dont give a fuck if it was the 1st superbowl ever

fact is the Raiders beat your Iggles in the ship :shake:

I dont give a fuck if it was the 1st superbowl ever

fact is the Raiders beat your Iggles in the ship

Im saying its completely irrelevant since neither of us were alive to witness it...

now on the other hand, this is relevant...since we both witnessed it....

stairs_hr_nlcs4.jpg

:tiphat:

In a related story, just watching Manny come to training camp, I might have to root passively for the Dodgers this year for the first time ever. Manny cracks me up.

The Dodgers knew they were only bidding against themselves and, truthfully, if I were to root for the Dodgers at all it would only be because of Manny. That organization is almost as dumb as the Eagles and nowhere close to as interesting.

From the 700level.com

I can't help but take note of the recent insanity being espoused by a large segment of local sports radio, in which certain talk-show hosts on both stations are clamoring that the Eagles should seriously consider trying to make a trade for disgruntled Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, or at least entertaining this notion as not an altogether bad one. (As expected, there is no shortage of callers to parrot these feelings, either.)

Quoth theKrisheim:
just think what would happen if mcnabb did go to denver and won a super bowl with dawkins and buck
spend a minute with that thought...all the sadists would have a field day
Amen. Meanwhile, re: Cutler -- am I missing something here? Just what in hell is so special about this guy that people would be willing to jettison McNabb and several draft picks to get him? Last time I checked, Cutler has never made the playoffs while leading the Broncos (hell, I don't think he's had a winning season as a starter). And that's while playing in the AFC West, for God's sake! Yes, I have seen his numbers over the last two seasons, and they are quite impressive, without question... but then so were Drew Brees', and neither quarterback took a postseason snap in either 2007 or 2008.

Meanwhile, Donovan McNabb's overall performance has not slid that far down the mountain that I'd consider rolling the dice with someone who in my opinion has yet to prove he's capable of leading a team to the promised land. Well, has McNabb done it, you might ask? Of course not. But he's gotten damned close several times. And his numbers over the last two seasons are as good as any he's had in his career, not counting the gaudy statistics he put up in 2004.

Furthermore, not to sound too insensitive here but Cutler is diabetic, and who really knows what kind of career length such a medical condition could dictate.

Furtherfurthermore, are we to expect the Eagles front office to sacrifice selecting the very linemen Cutler would need for protection? Those comparisons Cutler made between himself and John Elway would bear little substance if he finds himself staring at the clouds five or more times per game.

And furtherfurtherfurthermore, Cutler is by most accounts a whiny, paranoid bitch who has done everything he can to turn what was once a small, internal rift into a mighty canyon. Yes please, let's bring that sort of personality on board immediately, where he will be warmly received by both fans and the media. I see nothing that can go wrong with this. SuperBowl XLIV, here we come!

Typical Eagles...kick the tires so it looks like theyre trying to do something, then fall short...again...

Eagles' shot at signing Weaver dim

There were indications yesterday that free-agent fullback Leonard Weaver will be playing somewhere other than Philadelphia next season.

A league source said that the Eagles had not had contact with Weaver's agent, Harold Lewis, for several days. The source indicated that Weaver might re-sign with the Seattle Seahawks or go to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Seahawks reportedly freed up about $6.5 million in salary-cap space over the weekend by trading linebacker Julian Peterson to the Detroit Lions.

Lewis did not return phone calls or e-mail messages.

If the Eagles do not sign Weaver, the incumbent fullbacks will remain Dan Klecko and Kyle Eckel.

Through the Eagles' first 11 games last season, the team converted third-down situations a horrendous 51.1 percent (23 of 45) of the time when they needed 3 yards or fewer. In their final eight games, including the three playoff games, that percentage improved to 71.4 percent (25 of 35).

That improvement reflected the activation of Eckel and the improvement by Klecko at fullback after he had opened the season as a defensive tackle.

The Eagles do not put much stock in the position of FB, they just don't. I think that's a mistake, but they don't care much what I think.

RAVENS SIGN L.J. SMITH

Posted by Mike Florio on March 17, 2009, 5:04 p.m.
We just wrapped up a spot on 105.7 the Fan in Baltimore with Scott Garceau and Anita Marks, during which they reiterated their report that free-agent tight end L.J. Smith would/could be signing with the Ravens.
So after ending the call we decided to poke around a bit, and we confirmed that, indeed, Smith already has been signed.
Per a league source, it’s a one-year, $1.5 million deal.
Smith was the Eagles’ franchise player in 2008, but they made no serious bid to keep him this time around. He reportedly had narrowed his choices to Atlanta and Detroit. On Monday, however, word broke that the Falcons were out of the running.
It’s unknown what this development means for veteran Todd Heap, who is due to earn a base salary of $3.6 million in 2009.
Coach John Harbaugh is closely familiar with Smith, given that Harbaugh served as an assistant coach in Philadelphia during most of Smith’s career there.

The Eagles sign FB Leonard Weaver.

No, I'm not kidding.

Nice work, front office. Now get Boldin and we'll be happy again.

The Eagles sign FB Leonard Weaver.

No, I'm not kidding.

Nice work, front office. Now get Boldin and we'll be happy again.

Finally! I'm guessing they are concerned with the financial uncertainty of the NFL next year. That's the only reason I can think of why he only got a 1 year deal.

Finally! I'm guessing they are concerned with the financial uncertainty of the NFL next year. That's the only reason I can think of why he only got a 1 year deal.

I think that's also the reason some guys are looking for those contracts. I'm sure Sean Jones would have taken a good multi-year deal, but since he couldn't he snatched up that one year contract. Same thing for Weaver I think.

From Peter King:

News Item: The Cardinals haven't given up on signing Anquan Boldin long-term.

Now, there are those among Cardinals brass who were not at all happy with what they thought was Boldin moping at the end of the season last year. Some believe he could have played in the NFC playoff game at Carolina after straining a hamstring a week earlier in the win over Atlanta, and the team wasn't happy with his act after the championship game, even though Boldin did his best to smooth over his sideline set-to with offensive coordinator Todd Haley. But coach Ken Whisenhunt tells me the team is still intent on making Kurt Warner happy and trying to sign Boldin so he and Larry Fitzgerald can grow old together as the best wideout tandem in football.

The Cards won't go to the $10-million-a-year Boldin wants. And if a team -- Philadelphia seems most likely -- calls and offers a mid- to late-first-round pick for Boldin, Arizona would listen. If Boldin is willing to do a deal for between $8 and $9 million a year, a T.J. Houshmandzadeh- or Plaxico Burress-type contract, I think he could get something done with Arizona.

On the surface, it seems ridiculous Philly and others aren't running to try to dislodge the best physical wideout in football from the Cardinals. I think it has to do with separation speed. Boldin can't run past most corners. Fitzgerald can. That's what separates them. And that might be why, at the end of the day, the Eagles won't hand over the 27th pick in the draft for him. I don't like that logic at all, because Boldin's a great playmaker, and he'd be a difference-maker in a physical division like the NFC East. If I'm the Eagles, I don't walk to make that deal (if it can be made). I run.

From PFT:

BRAYLON EDWARDS AVAILABLE AFTER ALL?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 8:14 a.m.

After the Browns abruptly traded tight end Kellen Winslow to the Buccaneers on the first day of the 2009 league year, rumors began to swirl that receiver Braylon Edwards could be next.

Though the initial thinking was that Edwards won’t be dealt, rumors have persisted that the Browns have tried to trade him.

The latest comes from The Giant Insider, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News.

Per the report, the Giants offered the second-round and fifth-round picks obtained in the Jeremy Shockey trade. The Browns wanted both picks plus receiver Steve Smith. The Giants suggested Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham instead. At that point, the talks petered out.

The real question for anyone who might be interested in Edwards is whether moving forward he’ll play like he did in 2007 (when he was very good) or 2008 (when he was very mediocre).

Further complicating matters is that Edwards’ contract expires after the 2009 season. Without a new CBA, however, he’ll be a restricted free agent only, which will give him less leverage for a big-money deal in 2010.

Though trade talks could resume at any point, the fact that the deal wasn’t done before the start of the offseason program suggests that the Browns have perhaps decided to move forward with Edwards. If, after all, he suffers a season-ending injury while working out or, eventually, practicing in T-shirt and shorts, the Browns will be on the hook for his $4.55 million base salary this season.

If the Cardinals re-sign Boldin and the Giants trade for Edwards, Im gonna be fucking livid...

I second that.

And although I'm no huge insider or anything, I can tell you right now that Edwards is available. I guarantee it. That new staff in Cleveland is hell bent on transforming that entire roster. Edwards can be had, you just have to make them an offer and, as I said before, it should be doable because the Browns are strapped for draft picks this year. We have exactly what they need desperately.

Eagles in the mix for Edwards now, too?

Braylon Edwards | Browns | Interested: Eagles? Giants?
With everyone waiting for the next word to come out of the NFL owners' meetings on the Jay Cutler situation, another potential trade market is heating up. After a report surfaced over the weekend that confirmed the New York Giants' pursuit of Braylon Edwards, there has now also been "talk" at the owners' meetings about the Philadelphia Eagles possibly making a play for Edwards as well, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The Eagles have a wealth of picks in April's draft, and the Cleveland Browns have a dearth of talent. Appropriately, one rumor gaining some steam has the Eagles moving Reggie Brown to the Browns as part of the deal, with Cleveland taking a lesser selection of picks in conjunction with the Georgia alum. If Brown's career stats as an Eagle were mapped onto a graph, he'd be rapidly sliding down the wrong end of a bell curve at this point, having already reached the pinnacle with a 46-reception, 816-yard, 8-touchdown season in 2006. Nevertheless, he's only had four years of NFL experience, and could have a nice renaissance with a change of scenery. Additionally, the Browns would likely want some sort of receiver in return, given the fact that they'd be stuck with the uncertainty of Donte Stallworth and the ageless David Patten if they jettisoned Edwards.

On the other hand, the Eagles might just hang on to all of those draft picks and see if they can land another DeSean Jackson late in the first round. In spite of a 4.35 40-yard dash time at the NFL combine in 2008, Jackson lasted well into the second round when the Eagles took him at No. 49 overall, then proceeded to make many big plays in the return game and was the team's top receiver in 2008. As it stands now, the Eagles will select No. 21 and No. 28 of the first round, and both Hakeem Nicks and Percy Harvin should be in play at that point. Nicks would provide a larger-framed target for Donovan McNabb while Harvin is more of a versatile gamebreaker, reminding Mel Kiper, Jr., of Reggie Bush, according to the latest mock draft.

Reggie Brown and a draft pick for Braylon Edwards?!?

When do I need to be at Reggie's house to drive his ass to Cleveland?

Just let me know...

Eagles will look to move up in draft, could deal for Boldin

Don't expect the Philadelphia Eagles to move down in the 2009 NFL Draft like they did a year ago. According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Eagles are looking only one way and that's up.
With two first-round selections (21st and 28th overall) and 12 in the draft the Eagles believe they have the flexibility to move in a number of directions and that could include a play for unhappy Arizona Cardinals wide received Anquan Boldin. The Inquirer, citing a league source, reported the Cardinals plan to have another round of contract negotiations with Boldin's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, in the near future, and if they don't go well, the team may be willing to deal the unhappy wide receiver.
If the Eagles don't make a trade for Boldin or Cleveland's Braylon Edwards, who reportedly is also available for the right deal, they could use their combination of 12 picks to move up on draft day.
Even though wide receiver is always the position of greatest intrigue for the Eagles, the team's positions of greatest need appear to be offensive tackle and running back, according to The Inquirer.
Source: Philly.com

Wide Receiver Carousel: Birds Interested In Braylon

The Giants recently offered their second and fifth round picks to the Browns for Edwards, the first serious offer the team is known to consider for the former third overall pick. The deal fell apart when Cleveland also wanted WR Steve Smith, but New York was only willing to exchange Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham.

Tucked away in the story about the failed move is the Eagles were rumored to have inquired about the wide receiver as well. Out of all the names that have come up this offseason- Marvin Harrison, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Torry Holt, and Anquan Boldin- this is the first one that actually makes sense. Braylon Edwards has the build and ability of an elite receiver, but comes at the bargain basement price of a second and a pair of Reggie Browns.

Whether or not the Eagles would actually pull the trigger on such a deal remains to be seen, but allow me to begin what is sure begin a vigorous debate.

Why Braylon Edwards is better than Anquan Boldin

I'm sure you'll get in line to call me an idiot on this one, but if I'm choosing between Edwards and Boldin, I don't think twice. Edwards is bigger, faster, younger, has a greater presence on the field, and will not come with as high of a cost in a trade.

Forget the consistency argument. Number one, in four seasons Edwards hasn't once played with a quarterback you could call legitimate. Second, Terrell Owens had some consistency problems of his own. He dropped passes and came with a personality disorder. That didn't stop McNabb from having the best year of his career though.

The fact is, Boldin may be the proven commodity here, but he's not a true number one receiver, and he most certainly isn't worth a first and a third. He catches his average pass a mere five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, then relies on breaking tackles to pick up extra yards. Sure, he's the best at it, but that is not the kind of dynamic player you give up your draft for.

What I think fans have fallen in love with are numbers. Boldin was the fastest guy to reach some plateau in yards and receptions that I don't really care about because he did it catching screen passes and crossing patterns. I don't mean to diminish the achievement, it just doesn't compare to having a wide receiver that commands a double team.

And if you think it does, you're wrong. When a player dictates double coverage, the defense must pull a man away from another responsibility. If the safety has to play over the top of wherever one receiver is running, it opens up everything else, and not just in the passing game, but the running game as well. Just ask the Giants what Plaxico Burress means for Brandon Jacobs.

Which is exactly why they made the serious offer to the Browns in the first place. Has Braylon Edwards put up a bunch of 1,000 yard seasons? No, but anyone can see that he has the talent to blow every season Boldin's ever had out of the water. Boldin makes a quarterback better; Edwards can make an entire offense better. When you're talking about winning the most games, you want the latter.

On the right team, one with a solid hand under center, Edwards would not only become a model of consistency, he would be so at a Pro Bowl level. And if that team is the either the Eagles or the Giants, they might just become the odds-on favorite to reach the Super Bowl.

Edwards is bigger, faster, younger, has a greater presence on the field, and will not come with as high of a cost in a trade.

All true. But that Boldin is currently better, both on the field and in the locker room, sort of balances that all out.

Look, I like Braylon, he just needs to mature. Right now, he would be the Birds version of taking on Plaxico Burress when the Giants got him. Potentially great talent if you can just keep his head on straight.

Which, of course, is why you do it if you can. But there's a risk there that isn't there with Boldin. Maybe a higher ceiling, but definitely more risk.

Eagles “Could” Be Interested In Peters

Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2009, 9:03 a.m.

During our on-air discussion in late January with Howard Eskin of WIP in Philly, Eskin pointed out that, by offering up stories based on the word “could,” blogs like this one spark a process that results in speculative reports taking on a life of their own.

Our response was/is that it’s the duty of the reader to properly digest the language of the article, and that we aren’t responisble for the inability of folks to comprehend plainly-written language.

We’re reminded of that exchange this morning because one of the Philadelphia newspapers has sparked a process that “could” result in a speculative report taking on a life of its own.

In an article regarding the ongoing contract dispute between the Bills and left tackle Jason Peters, Bob Brookover of the Inquirer reports that the lingering disagreement between Peters and the Bills “could lead to the Eagles’ trying to make a deal with Buffalo for Peters.”

It was, in our estimation, an attempt to make a story that was otherwise irrelevant to the primary audience somewhat potentially relevant, especially since we’ve detected a loose sense that Eagles fans desperately want to see the team do something/anything to improve the roster via the acquisition of veteran talent.

It wasn’t, in our estimation, a report that the Eagles are interested in Peters or that trade talks have occurred.

But it’s enough to prompt folks to begin the process of believing/assuming/presuming that the Eagles are making a run at Peters, especially since the entry prompted a headline at the Red Zone.

Though the Red Zone accurately reflects the “could” nature of the assertion, the whole thing “could” take on a life of its own, making in this instance the newspapers no less culpable than the blogs for the erroneous conclusions that some readers will draw.

Andy Reid talks McNabb, Westbrook, Dawkins
DANA POINT, Calif. -- Eagles coach Andy Reid talked to reporters this morning at the NFL owners meetings.
Here is Part 1 of the transcript from the interview:
(on his team) This is one thing I know. I can sit there – and I’d have to move some people here and there – but I can sit there and put together what I think is a championship-calibre football team. Now, do we need depth at certain spots? Absolutely. But I think we’re one of the few teams where, if you said line up and play today, we could do that and be very, very competitive.
OFFENSIVE TACKLE
(is your left tackle on your roster right now?) I think I have a couple of guys who could play left tackle and be very good at it. Shawn (Andrews) and Todd (Herremans).
(which one would be your left tackle?) I don’t know that yet. I’m just kind of juggling that around and seeing how everything lays out between the rest of free agency and the draft. We’ll see. We’ll see what happens. But if I had to line up, I could put either one of them there (at LT). I could put either one at guard. Stacy Andrews can play tackle or guard. And Jon Runyan’s on the mend. So I don’t what’s going to happen with that situation.
(still possible Runyan will be re-signed?) We’ll just see how it goes. I’m not saying yay or nay.
(moving Andrews and/or Herremans outside from guard) Shawn Andrews and Todd Herremans came here as tackles. Against their will, I moved them into guard. They want to be tackles. They bug me all the time about playing tackle. They would have no problem moving out to tackle if that’s what happens.
(Herremans’ play in ’08) I thought Todd should’ve been in the Pro Bowl last year. I think that’s the kind of football he played.
(state of your o-line right now) I know I’ve got enough guys (at o-line) to line up there and have a very successful offensive line. That’s comforting.
(is getting a left tackle in the draft important?) I think I’ve got those guys here. Am I always looking for good offensive linemen? Yeah. But do I think I can go and play with what I’ve got and be very successful? Yeah. You’ve got to remember something. Even though he was a right tackle (at Arkansas), Shawn Andrews probably was the finest offensive tackle I’d ever seen come out of college football. I would have no problem putting Shawn or Todd (at left tackle). But because they don’t have that (left tackle) label, because I put them at guard, that doesn’t mean that’s all they can do
(on the play of center Jamaal Jackson) I thought Jamaal did a pretty good job in the pass game. I think he can keep working on some stuff in the run game.
(do you want to find competition for him at center?) Nick Cole is pretty good competition. He came in (at right guard) and showed what he can do. That will make us take a good look at Nick (as a starting center candidate), I’m sure.
WESTBROOK and RUNNING BACKS
(how important is it to find a back in the draft to complement Westbrook?) We’re keeping our eyes open for that. I like to have 2 or 3 running backs. So I will keep my eyes open for that spot.
(can Westbrook still be a carry-the-load back?) I think you need to supplement somebody else in there. But he can be your primary ballcarrier.
DONOVAN McNABB
(on Donovan McNabb) We sure like Donovan, obviously. We understand that from a player’s standpoint, he’s the face of the Philadelphia Eagles. We want to keep him at that position.
(on how much he’s talked with McNabb since the end of the season) We talk all the time.
(any concern that he might not show up at minicamps if he doesn’t get a contract extension) That (not showing up) isn’t going to happen.
(How concerned would he be if McNabb didn’t show up for minicamp?) Obviously, the quarterback position is very important. I’m always looking at the positive. The positive is, that (when a veteran doesn’t show) the young guys get to work with the ones. The negative is that you sure want your starting quarterback there.
(if he didn’t show up at minicamp, eagles fans would act like a nuclear bomb hit the city) I don’t really care about that (fan reaction). Supposedly, we’ve already had a few nuclear bombs hit there. I just kind of move on and whoever that next guy is hops in. That’s not saying I don’t love having the best players there.
(are you confident he’ll be at minicamp) Yes.
(on dawkins) He’s a great person. Philadelphia saw Brian come in and grow up as a man. They were able to see his kids grow up. Brian left a legacy there that should put him in Canton.
(the reaction by fans to his departure) I understood that completely.
(your decision to bench McNabb last November) Things get blown up in Philadelphia. I understand that. So I put that equation out of my mind and can’t worry about that part of it (fan and media reaction). I’ve got to do what’s best for the football team. And honestly, in that situation, what I thought was best for Donovan. You never know how things are going to go. I could sit here and tell you, `Ah, I knew everything would work out like it did.’ But you never know what’s gonna happen in this game when you do things like that. But I felt like it had to happen. Donovan is the type of person that carries the world on his back. As a result of that, at times, people around him expect him to carry the world on his back. And they’re not doing their jobs to their fullest. It’s too much. Too much for one person to do. That’s the point where this got to. It wasn’t from Donovan not trying or doing anything wrong. No human can do what he was trying to do. We were leading the league in drops. We weren’t playing great defense during that stretch. The offensive line was struggling. Everybody was having their thing. And to be honest with you, I wasn’t coaching very good. Everybody needed to pick their game up. And that’s kind of what happened after that.
I knew Donovan could handle the (benching) situation. That’s why he’s here. That’s why I drafted him way back when. I knew he could handle these kinds of situations. And two, I know guys like him on the team and they won’t ever let him sit on that bench very long. They will pick their game up and do what they’re supposed to do and we’ll become a football team again.
(Donovan’s refusal to acknowledge he benefited from the benching) I completely understand. This wasn’t Donovan coming over to me and saying he wanted to sit on the bench. That wasn’t what it was. No player wants that. Especially a player that competitive in a game that close. That’s not what he wants. But if that’s what we needed as a football team, I don’t mind being the bad guy. That’s my responsibility to get the football team right.
(what would have happened if Kevin Kolb had lit it up in second half?) Donovan McNabb was going to be my quarterback the next week. Because I’ve been around the guy too long. Donovan was going to be the quarterback.
(on Kolb’s frustration at looking at spending a third straight season on the bench as McNabb’s backup) He’s been a starter his whole life. He’s just learning how the whole backup thing works. But that was a great learning experience coming into that (Baltimore) game. That (performance) wasn’t Kevin Kolb. If you go back and look at the preseason game when he had a chance to play against New England’s 1s after they’d just been chewed out by Bill Belichick and how well he played there, and look at the other opportunities he’s had to come in. Kevin’s going to be a good football player. It’s just that Donovan’s a good football player too, right now.
BRIAN DAWKINS
(could you and the team have handled the Dawkins’ situation better?) There are certain ways you can do it. You can just release a player and do kind of like they did with Marvin Harrison in Indianapolis. Or you can actually try to get something done. Then if you lose him, then, you know what, you end up not being the good guy. But at the same time, in your heart, you know you tried to do something. Then you wish him the best of luck.
Brian, to me, will always be a Philadelphia Eagle. Brian should be able to walk into our office at any time, even if we’re playing them, and shake everybody’s hand and keep his high and know that he’s left a special legacy in Philadelphia.
(difficulty in letting a player like Dawkins leave) This is the hardest part of the job from my standpoint. It’s not an easy thing to do, not an easy thing to talk about. But that’s part of this business. It’s been part of this business forever. Since professional sports has been in business.
There’s a good part about being a head coach for 10 years and there’s a bad part. The bad part is you’re starting to get on the edge of your players’ careers. Then you have to make some tough, tough decisions. And that’s not fun. There’s nothing fun about it.
(your contact with Dawkins prior to him signing with Denver) I had talked to him a few times during the process.
(why couldn’t you have said all you’ve said about Dawkins today when he signed with the Broncos?) It might’ve reduced the amount of criticism about the Eagles being a cold-hearted organization) A week later, Joe (Banner) talked about it. I just let it go there. That was enough. Listen, Brian deserves his due. There was no easy way to do this if you were going to continue to try to negotiate and bring him back. I thought Denver did a heck of a job. They gave him a tremendous contract. And more power to them. But there wasn’t going to be an easy way of doing it. And then, I think it’s very hard for me to bring in, who at that time was the top offensive line free agent (Stacy Andrews) and try to make it his day and then talk about Brian Dawkins. I will never do it. That’s just not what I do.
(you could’ve taken questions on Dawkins after the Andrews’ press conference) I guess I could’ve done a lot of things. But that was (Andrews’) day and you let it go at that.

Back