Is there a chance he'd take us back?

Signs pointing toward Eagles getting a left tackle in draft

Philadelphia Eagles general manager Tom Heckert indicated coach Andy Reid may not know who his starting left tackle will be on Opening Day, but he will have a pretty good idea after the NFL Draft, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
More likely, Reid will know by the completion of the first round. Three tackles have top-10 potential in this draft — Baylor's Jason Smith, Virginia's Eugene Monroe, and Alabama's Andre Smith, according to the Inquirer. The Eagles have the 21st and 28th picks in the first round, so they have means to make a trade. Heckert said that if the Eagles want a rookie left tackle who can start in 2009, they probably have to get one of the elite guys.
Heckert said it might take less than two first-round picks to move into the top 10, but he is not sure exactly what it would take.

The Jags want to move down. I believe they pick #8.

If for some reason Crabtree slipped to there, I think we'd have to look hard at making that deal. Although, you could argue that Jax should take that guy themselves.

Both Monroe and Taylor will be gone by then and Smith should last longer than #8 if we really want him.

Other than Macklin and Crabtree, I'm not sure who the Eagles want or need enough to trade up for.

Boldin could be traded before draft

Comment Email Print Share <script type="text/javascript"> var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Whisenhunt:%20Cards%20will%20listen%20to%20offers%20for%20Boldin", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4071716", published: "2009-04-15" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink")); </script>
<cite class="source"> By John Clayton
ESPN.com
Archive </cite>
<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- template inline -->Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin may get his wish to be traded. Coach Ken Whisenhunt said Wednesday the team is willing to listen to offers.
<!--INLINE MUG-->
4512.jpg

Boldin
<!--END INLINE MUG--> Boldin has asked to be traded since last season after teammate Larry Fitzgerald received a four-year, $40 million contract. Boldin has two years remaining on the six-year, $33.99 million deal he signed in 2005. Though the team wants to give him an extension, the Cardinals aren't expected to give him a Fitzgerald-type deal.
Whisenhunt, speaking to Arizona reporters Wednesday, opened the door for the team to receive trade offers. <!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (BEGIN) -->
NFL.com Video
Check out the top highlights of Cardinals WR Anquan Boldin from 2008.

<!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (END) --> "Before the draft, you know there is going to be talk about Anquan and his situation and a trade," Whisenhunt said. "Since not a whole lot has changed with his contractual situation, we know that will come back. It would be foolish from out standpoint not to listen to those opportunities and see what actually exists. But I want to make the points -- our goal is to re-sign him to a long-term deal. That hasn't changed."Boldin continues to bring up the idea of a trade. With contract talks at a standstill, the Cardinals can listen to offers before the draft. The Eagles and Giants might be at the top of the list.
Boldin is considered a No. 1 wide receiver so it could cost a No. 1 and No. 3 draft choice to acquire him.

This is the most excited I've been all off-season. The Eagles are no doubt, the front runner in this mix. This is the first time the Cards acknowledged that trading Boldin might be necessary. Let the Giants have Edwards, that limits the players in the Boldin mix. Think of any other teams that no only have the picks to deal, but the money to sign Boldin.

If the Giants get Edwards, which is now being reported as basically an eventuality rather than a maybe, the Eagles have to make a run at Boldin.

In fact, they'd be smart to do it now, because from what I'm reading the price for Edwards is going to be a one and either a three, a WR, or both. Granted, Edwards is younger, but statistically Boldin is better. The Birds would be smart to make that deal sooner than later as the price might go up post this NY trade.

The other part of that is because if the Edwards deal goes through, the Browns are probably going to replace him with Crabtree assuming he's there at five--and almost every mock draft has him around seven.

(For the record, if I put on my pretty awesome bright orange Browns hat for a second, Crabtree for Edwards I will take. The Browns need draft picks, and it looks like Braylon wants to walk when his contract is up next year, so, you know, you've gotta get something from him. For the record, I want Manningham from the Giants, I for whatever stupid reason, think that guy has potential).

I feel the same way.. although I'm speaking for Big Blue of course

Be happy if you get Edwards. Whether or not he's a head case doesn't matter, you dealt with that with Plax. He's big, stays in shape, and comes to play.

His only problem is those drops. Thing about them is, they're generally not TD drops, instead they're third down conversion drops that make you want to beat the f**ker to a bloody pulp. But even with those you'll love him for at least 10 games a year. Just hope those other six don't cost you in huge situations with playoff implications.

I would be happy with Edwards... he's younger and I would assume cheaper than Boldin... and probably less prone to injury as well...

I kinda wonder (more like hope) that maybe his problems last season with the slippery fingers had more to do with a lack of motivation caused by the players that surrounded him and the team he played for (no offense Joe.. haha)... who knows, maybe he can get back to his Pro Bowl shape of two years ago when he had over 15 tds

I'd be happy with flipping a coin as well Smoke... I think we just need to get a big body out there to cause double teams and avoid defenses from loading up the box and keying on our running game

None taken, the Browns were a mess last year.

And there's a real possibility that the Giants' view of Edwards is colored by the fact that he torched them when the G-Men came to Cleveland last year.

I truly think the only thing keeping Braylon from being one of the best #1 WRs in the game is him at this point. He has the size and natural ability. It's all in his head right now.

I'm not going to lie, I'm going to miss him, because if he could have loved Cleveland, Cleveland would have loved him right back. Browns fans stuck with him after that immediate injury when he got to the team, he just doesn't really seem to be interested in repaying the loyalty. Sadly, part of me doesn't blame him, Mangini's ripping apart the whole team and starting over, why wouldn't you want to go to a team on the verge of another SB?

gawd, you just had to didn't you?.. haha.

You're just lucky I was working at the time, because I actually called that game before the season started. Then, not only didn't I bet it, I didn't even get to see it. I found out about it like two days later. It's just not the same when things like that happen.

i'd want boldin if im eagles. better wr, less drops, runs the routes that compliment desean more than braylon would. desean verticla threat, boldin underneath.

far as chemistry ...braylon seems like a headcase to me. boldin a fucking man. i'd go to war with him.

Cards Want A One And A Three For Boldin

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2009, 11:25 a.m.
ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the Arizona Cardinals are telling prospective suitors for receiver Anquan Boldin that at least a first-round pick and a third-round pick will be needed to get the deal done.
Per Paolantonio, the Eagles, Giants, Jets, and Ravens have shown interest.
Boldin said recently that he’d love to play for the Dolphins, but it’s unknown whether Miami will get into the mix. Other teams that could (or should) be interested include, in our estimation, the Jaguars, Vikings, Titans, Colts, Chiefs, 49ers, Browns (if they trade Braylon Edwards) and Rams.
We also think that, if any current <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0">NFL</nobr> receiver other than Hines Ward screams out “Pittsburgh Steeler” in the way he plays the game, it’s Boldin. And with Ward possibly inching toward the end of the rope, it might make a lot of sense to add his eventual replacement sooner rather than later.
The Eagles have the most ammunition to get a deal done, with a couple of first-round picks and ten other selections. The Giants have the clearest need, but they’d be better off with a guy with the kind of speed to stretch the field. The Eagles potentially have a player like that in DeSean Jackson. Boldin and Kevin Curtis would provide a formidable duo for the underneath routes. If opposing defense lock onto either of them, Jackson will face single coverage at best

Cards Want A One And A Three For Boldin

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2009, 11:25 a.m.
ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the Arizona Cardinals are telling prospective suitors for receiver Anquan Boldin that at least a first-round pick and a third-round pick will be needed to get the deal done.
Per Paolantonio, the Eagles, Giants, Jets, and Ravens have shown interest.
Boldin said recently that he’d love to play for the Dolphins, but it’s unknown whether Miami will get into the mix. Other teams that could (or should) be interested include, in our estimation, the Jaguars, Vikings, Titans, Colts, Chiefs, 49ers, Browns (if they trade Braylon Edwards) and Rams.
We also think that, if any current <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0">NFL</nobr> receiver other than Hines Ward screams out “Pittsburgh Steeler” in the way he plays the game, it’s Boldin. And with Ward possibly inching toward the end of the rope, it might make a lot of sense to add his eventual replacement sooner rather than later.
The Eagles have the most ammunition to get a deal done, with a couple of first-round picks and ten other selections. The Giants have the clearest need, but they’d be better off with a guy with the kind of speed to stretch the field. The Eagles potentially have a player like that in DeSean Jackson. Boldin and Kevin Curtis would provide a formidable duo for the underneath routes. If opposing defense lock onto either of them, Jackson will face single coverage at best

Assuming Edwards goes to the Giants (and they may pull back now since Boldin is available), I would bet on my LIFE that the Eagles will get Anquan Boldin. I rather have Boldin over Edwards since he's been more consistent, and both players really want the same kind of money. I know the Eagles made a strong play for Moss when he was a FA, so I know they value really talented WRs like Boldin. I also know the Eagles DO NOT want to pay 1st round money to two players. They rather take some of that money and invest it into a proven commodity like Boldin.

All of a sudden, the Eagles have pontentially the best WR corps in the league: Boldin and Jackson on the outsides with Curtis in the slot. Boldin draws the doubles, while Jackson gets man coverage deep. Curtis becomes the possession WR that he really is.

And assuming Philly gives up #21, they can use #28 on either an OT or RB. I'd prefer a RB probably because 1 guy in the top 5 will fall to that spot.

Assuming Edwards goes to the Giants (and they may pull back now since Boldin is available), I would bet on my LIFE that the Eagles will get Anquan Boldin.

I wouldnt. Gargano was saying on WIP this morning that the Eagles are more interested in Ocho Cinco than Boldin because hed cost less to get in terms of both draft picks and contract extension....

And assuming Philly gives up #21, they can use #28 on either an OT or RB. I'd prefer a RB probably because 1 guy in the top 5 will fall to that spot.

He was also saying theres only 2 round 1 graded RBs in the draft - Moreno and Wells...

And Wells doesnt fit (he doesnt catch the ball)

So that leaves Moreno...

which theyd probably have to move up to get...

So im not holding my breath there either

I wouldnt. Gargano was saying on WIP this morning that the Eagles are more interested in Ocho Cinco than Boldin because hed cost less to get in terms of both draft picks and contract extension....

I had this discussion before but only in comparing Edwards to 85. I'd rather have 85 over Edwards for that reason, but not Boldin CMON!

I'm assuming landing 85 would take like a 3rd, and I think he's still under contract?

He was also saying theres only 2 round 1 graded RBs in the draft - Moreno and Wells...

And Wells doesnt fit (he doesnt catch the ball)

So that leaves Moreno...

which theyd probably have to move up to get...

So im not holding my breath there either

I know they are also high on the guy from UCONN. And there's also a guy from Pitt. Britton is a Lineman who could be available at 28. And we are also assuming Zona will not accept pick 28 and will want 21. I'm hearing Moreno could fall to 21.

I know they are also high on the guy from UCONN. And there's also a guy from Pitt.

Both these guys and TeeDub, I mean Shonn Greene, will almost certainly be available come round two.

Everybody seems to agree this draft is deep on defense, but not at the skill positions on offense so I think you can get a interesting RB in the second round.

As for Chad Johnson (I'm having trouble converting to his actual name being Ocho Cinco) vs. Boldin, there really isn't a question there in my mind. Boldin is far and away the better option. The Eagles have dealt with a head case before, why would they want to again when they could have a warrior like Boldin?

As said above, just get Boldin and the entire corps improves.

A source told Scout.com that Baylor OT Jason Smith, who’s expected to be a top-five pick in this year’s draft, is visiting the Philadelphia Eagles today; Thursday, April 16th.
A four-year starter at Baylor, the 6-foot-5, 309-pound Smith started his collegiate career as a tight end. He combined his tremendous talent and great work ethic to make the switch a success and he’s know considered the premier tackle in the ’09 draft.
The Philadelphia Eagles own the No. 21 and 28 selections in the draft and are in the market for an offensive tackle. It’s been reported that the Eagles are interested in disgruntled Buffalo Bills OT Jason Peters, but the Bills are looking for a first-round pick and a second- or third-round pick in exchange for Peters. That seems like a fair offer for a two-time Pro Bowl player who’s only 27 years old and in the prime of his career, but the hold up could be the contract demands by Peters’ representatives.
The visit by Smith to Philadelphia today is interesting, because for the Eagles to have a chance at selecting him they will have to trade up as high as No. 3 with the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs are said to be dangling the No. 3 pick to the highest bidder and with two first round picks (12 in all), the Eagles have the ability to be creative and make a move.

A source told Scout.com that Baylor OT Jason Smith, who’s expected to be a top-five pick in this year’s draft, is visiting the Philadelphia Eagles today; Thursday, April 16th.
A four-year starter at Baylor, the 6-foot-5, 309-pound Smith started his collegiate career as a tight end. He combined his tremendous talent and great work ethic to make the switch a success and he’s know considered the premier tackle in the ’09 draft.
The Philadelphia Eagles own the No. 21 and 28 selections in the draft and are in the market for an offensive tackle. It’s been reported that the Eagles are interested in disgruntled Buffalo Bills OT Jason Peters, but the Bills are looking for a first-round pick and a second- or third-round pick in exchange for Peters. That seems like a fair offer for a two-time Pro Bowl player who’s only 27 years old and in the prime of his career, but the hold up could be the contract demands by Peters’ representatives.
The visit by Smith to Philadelphia today is interesting, because for the Eagles to have a chance at selecting him they will have to trade up as high as No. 3 with the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs are said to be dangling the No. 3 pick to the highest bidder and with two first round picks (12 in all), the Eagles have the ability to be creative and make a move.

I have no opinion on this at all. It just causes (good) confusion. I'd love to trade up to get Smith, I'd love to get Peters, I'd love to get Boldin. As long as the Eagles are active, that's all i want.

We need to start playing DeSean Jackson at QB in the wildcat more. Personally if I was Morningwig I'd get the ball in his hands every single play. Just line up McNabb in shotgun w/ Westbrook and DJax on either side of him. BOOM! Instant offense!

Moob.

Oh, and there's no way in hell we're trading up that high to get Jason Smith, you can etch that on your left nut--if you're into that kind of thing.

He's not going to make it out of the top five, he may not make it out of the top three.

And that contract would be a nightmare and almost certain to cause discontent given the talent around him. No chance. But if any team is stupid enough to believe it (cough, Arizona), to think that he's what we're going to do with our number one picks, fine with me.

Report: Bills Trade Peters To Eagles
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 17, 2009, 1:32 p.m.

The Buffalo Bills have traded Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jason Peters to the Philadelphia Eagles, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.

In exchange for Peters, the Bills receive the Eagles’ 28th overall pick of the first round as well as a second-day draft pick in this year’s draft and a late-round draft pick in 2010.

Peters has been unhappy with his contract and hasn’t been attending the Bills’ offseason activities after staging a holdout last summer at training camp.

Presumably, Peters will be seeking a new deal from his new employers.

The Eagles needed an offensive tackle after starter Tra Thomas left in free agency. Jon Runyan is a free agent and has been battling injuries.

Im guessing Boldin to the Ravens and Edwards to the Giants now...

Dont get me wrong, I like picking up Peters, but some things never change...another year, no wide reciever...

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Very interesting.

This doesn't bode well for Boldin. Or maybe it does.

I have to think on this, but my immediate reaction wants to be, hell f**king yes.

I also like that they traded the 28 and not the 21...

Get Moreno and Ill live with no WR...

Though Id still explore a second or third for Ocho Cinco...

Dont get me wrong, I like picking up Peters, but some things never change...another year, no wide reciever...

Don't bet on that. They were right on Desean, Hakeem Nicks will be there at 21, that guy from Rutgers will be as well. After Macklin and Crabtree it's going to be a bit before the other WRs get taken here. Also that other guy from North Carolina may be available in the second round, the guy nobody's talking about because that injury took him out of the public eye for basically a season.

Granted, in effect going offense with both those first picks would be a shock, but we just got our lineman so why not. Also, this would put Knowshon Marino in play at 21, though I think that might be high for him.

Personally I'd have no problem with the Eagles doing the Boldin trade now and having zero first round picks. Peters and Boldin would be the best 'draft' we could hope for, really, with the Birds just pissing away all those late picks on defensive shots in the dark that may or may not pan out.

Realistically I think this probably means 21 is TE, RB, or defensive secondary, probably not in that order.

yeah im not so sure they are done....

what about their 22nd pick, a third, and reggie brown for a pick that would land us crabtree?

Oh I totally agree...

Hell, Id trade a 1 and a 3 for Boldin, take Donald Brown in the second round and trade all my other picks for picks next year...

You walk out of the draft with Peters, Boldin and a RB??? Thats a home run

They wont do it though......

I really like the fact that we might have the best OL in all of football.

And don't underestimate that FB signing now, the Eagles may have a surprisingly good SU running game next season. Not one that relies on swing passes and getting Westbrook in space, but one that goes off tackle for six, eight, twelve a pop.

hahaha...you know what, I completely forgot about Weaver

Maybe they take Moreno and transform into a running team????

(Over Andys dead body...)

what about their 22nd pick, a third, and reggie brown for a pick that would land us crabtree?

21, but they won't do that. Top 5 guys, probably even top 10 guys will make too much guaranteed money. They're not interested in that. Besides, if the Browns do send Braylon to NYC they'd be stupid to do anything but Crabtree at five (unless he's not there or Curry's available, then you can make the argument).

If they keep it, which I'd say is probable, I'd think the only moving up they'd do is a few spots for one guy that's either slipped or who they really, really want.

The Philadelphia Eagles have worked out an agreement in principle to acquire Buffalo Bills left tackle Jason Peters, according to multiple sources.

<!-- INLINE NFL.com Video (BEGIN) --> For Peters, the Bills will receive a first-round pick (the 28th selection in the round), a fourth-rounder and an undisclosed pick in 2010, according to a source.

Peters has been asked to fly to Philadelphia Friday to meet with the Eagles, who have 12 draft choices including two first-rounders. Any trade would be contingent on Peters passing a physical, but it might also require Peters agreeing to a contract extension.

The Eagles and Peters' agent, Eugene Parker, were scheduled to open contract talks Friday.

According to an Eagles source, the Eagles would like to have a contract in place before the trade is complete. Because of that, the Eagles might not be able to announce the trade until as late as Sunday.

For more than a year, Peters has been in a contract stalemate with the Bills. He's made two Pro Bowls at left tackle and wants to become one of the highest-paid at his position -- at an annual salary of possibly more than $11 million.

Peters is scheduled to make $3.375 million for the coming season. Last year he held out of training camp, but the decision did not get him a new contract. Peters is signed through 2010 and can then become a free agent.

A great success story for the Bills, Peters was an undrafted tight end out of Arkansas. The Bills turned him into an offensive lineman and he ended up starting 10 games by his second season. Buffalo eventually turned him into one of the best left tackles in the game.

The good thing is now theyre not gonna take an offensive lineman in the first round...

And no matter how prudent it may be, its always a let down waiting around for 4 hours to see them take some tackle ive never heard of on draft day....

Maybe they take Moreno and transform into a running team????

Remember I brought up Elway and the Donk's running game. I wasn't kidding. And the FB is so undervalued in this league. But if you look at the RBs who have those huge seasons, by and large they do it behind exceptional FBs. Weaver borders on exceptional.

We all know the Eagles still need that second RB, they almost even admit it, which is a big step for them.

I still think there's some sort of WR involved here. The only question is, if they want to go get Boldin, which they could very well do, how worried will they be on the defensive side of the ball? Do they think we have enough at corner and deep to deal with NY with 6'3" Braylon and Dallas with 6'3" Roy Williams?

If they say 'yes,' I'm with you. Look to Donald Brown, Lesean McCoy, or Shonn Greene, and trade those picks for draft choices next year.

Another good part about this is it further helps Shawn Andrews mental health...

Peters was an undrafted tight end (?!) out of Arkansas the same year Andrews was drafted (from Arkansas)....

dude, i know i may be a bit unrealistic, but if we gave away our first, second, and reggie brown and got crabtree, we would have crabtree and jackson as our 1 and 2 for 10years, and the best offensive line in football.

The good thing is now theyre not gonna take an offensive lineman in the first round...

And no matter how prudent it may be, its always a let down waiting around for 4 hours to see them take some tackle ive never heard of on draft day....

True, and I've gotta say, I don't even want that #21 pick now, I want Boldin.

If you walk away from this draft with a starting OT and a starting WR, either one a potential Pro Bowler immediately, how is that draft not an overwhelming success?

Corner is supposedly historically weak in this draft

Good. I want Boldin.

Realize, if they go Boldin here and RB in the second round--even if that guy turns out to be not much better than Tony Hunt in his first year or gives us the production of anything close to what we got from Buck, this team could easily score nearly 30 a game like the DMac/TO/BWest SB team did.

dude, i know i may be a bit unrealistic, but if we gave away our first, second, and reggie brown and got crabtree, we would have crabtree and jackson as our 1 and 2 for 10years, and the best offensive line in football.

The problem isn't that trading up isn't realistic, it's that the Birds simply will not pay that guy the contract a number five pick commands. Were the Eagles in that position naturally I would almost guarantee they'd trade out of it--even though Crabtree is a perfect fit.

It has nothing to do with the player, it has everything to do with money.

And Crabtree's going to be wearing orange and brown, so get used to it--I know I am (fingers crossed).

=)

i was just listening to the radio and this deal is done and the contract has even been arranged. Rumors are Peters is even already at the Novacare complex. I like the deal because I don't think we gave up that much and got a proven player who will come in and make an impact immediately.

Clayton was talking about how the birds haven't been in the Boldin sweepstakes seriously. They might be content with what have at the wideout position which wouldn't surprise me. one thing he did say is that if they don't move the the 21 and Knowshon Moreno is on the board they will take him. He also don't be surprised to see them trade down a little bit then take Pettigrew.

Back