Is there a chance he'd take us back?

I just dont get it. I understand Leto, if we get 2 picks for him im satisfied.

Dawkins. Gotta resign him, I dont care what it takes. When I think Eagles, I think Dawkins before I ever think McNabb.

WR situation. Id be happy if they just bring someone in. Doesnt have to be TJ or Boldin. Id be satisfied with a Harrison or a Coles just as easily, hell if he comes cheap enough, Id take Galloway.

LJ - Good riddance, so overrated.

Buckhalter - Fought through a lot of injuries. Played hard for the Eagles for a lot of years. This move pretty much guarantees that they go RB in the first round. I'll kinda miss the backup.

Runyan and Thomas - Old. Eagles have done a great job in drafting lineman and plugging them in. I think a lot of people panicked when we let Hank walk, and I dont think we missed a beat at center. I kinda feel the same here. Thats a lot of money to save and apply elsewhere. Line is one positions that I dont worry about in this organization

Well Stacy Andrews is officially an Eagle. There are still conflicting reports whether Dawkins has officially signed with Denver. I'm atleast trying to believe he hasn't yet.

its official

Denver signs free agent safety Brian Dawkins to a five-year, $17 million deal that includes $7.2 million guaranteed. The contract also has escalators that could boost the value of the deal to $27 million over five years, but the deal also could be voided to two years, $9 million.

its official

Denver signs free agent safety Brian Dawkins to a five-year, $17 million deal that includes $7.2 million guaranteed. The contract also has escalators that could boost the value of the deal to $27 million over five years, but the deal also could be voided to two years, $9 million.

no way the eagles were giving him 5....so i like it a little better now

yeah...but its essentially a 2 year 9 million$ deal...

they couldnt shell out 2 yrs, 9 mil to the heart and soul of the defense

pathetic

no way the eagles were giving him 5....so i like it a little better now

Yep. I now feel OK with this. He picked the money. According to John Clayton they went back and forth between the Broncos and Eagles on two year deals and the Broncos then stepped up. Good for them.

Look, I love B-Dawk, and were I the Eagles I might have done a contract big in escalator clauses sort of like Denver did to keep him, but that the Eagles didn't doesn't shock me and it doesn't really kill me.

Two years with some sort of bonuses and an option for a third year was the right contract. Denver just gave him more money.

I don't think they were going to give him the bonuses the Broncos are going to, Smoke.

Frankly, I think the Eagles blew this when they started by offering him a one year deal. I think they pissed him off and when the Broncos gave him more money, even after they upped their offer, it didn't matter, he was already upset.

smoke, sure they coulda....but really, this is not currently a young team....i think in the grand scheme of things theyre doing it the right way.

the only problem with this is that they need a young QB soon, and Kolb is definately not the answer. they are freeing up a ton of cap room here and have the most selections in this years draft. they have more flexability right now than any team in the nfl with what they have to offer.

I don't think they were going to give him the bonuses the Broncos are going to, Smoke.

Frankly, I think the Eagles blew this when they started by offering him a one year deal. I think they pissed him off and when the Broncos gave him more money, even after they upped their offer, it didn't matter, he was already upset.

You think Denver is?? Theyre gonna void the contract after two years...I mean hes gonna be 38 then....

2 years, 9 million

Thats the bottom line price the Eagles didnt feel he was worth

smoke, sure they coulda....but really, this is not currently a young team....i think in the grand scheme of things theyre doing it the right way.

the only problem with this is that they need a young QB soon, and Kolb is definately not the answer. they are freeing up a ton of cap room here and have the most selections in this years draft. they have more flexability right now than any team in the nfl with what they have to offer.

They always have flexibility and cap space...if the super bowl was won by who had the most cap space each year, we'd have like 5 of those fuckers

im sick of it

whats the point of having flexibility and capspace if you constantly misuse/dont use it at all???

Iggles did B Dawk dirty.

Ima raiders fan and would have took him but he really dont scare me that he's with the broncos.

I would have liked him mainly as a Vet Leader for the team if anything.

whats the point of having flexibility and capspace if you constantly misuse/dont use it at all???

That's the real point. We are older at some spots--although a QB can easily play at a very high level well into his mid-and-late-30s. But the question is, what are we going to do with all that flexibility.

This Dawkins thing is the perfect example of good money management meeting poor decision making with regards to the climate in which your business exists.

Had the Eagles started with two years $9 mil with some extra years they could void, B-Dawk probably never would have hit the market. But they did what they do, low offer, then up it to a point where it still makes good business sense. But that decision was made in a vacuum, thinking only of the dollars involved in the contract not of the overall dollars it will cost the business because of what that asset brings with him to the table.

It'll be the same thing with Free Agency, it always is.

Smoke is right, we have a ton of flexibility, this team could very easily use this off-season to remake the core of this team and retro-fit it--even with Donovan--for another really strong run that should generate at least one title if not more in the next three to five years.

But that's not what they do, historically. They are comfortable being a top tier organization financially first, then a top tier team which, if it were to win it all would just be gravy.

Based on that model they'll draft OL and DL mostly in the draft, maybe trade a few of those picks to move up and get one guy they really like (some kind of safety maybe), some running back in round three, and they'll just continue to plod along contending for the division or, like last year, getting some luck and losing the NFC Championship again.

Oh, and now it's kind of down to Housh or Boldin or nothing.

The Lions signed Bryant Johnson. Although, I suppose Nate Washington is an option.

I'm supposed to be on vacation and I will be on vacation, after this.

Brian Dawkins, 1996-2009.

I'm sitting here, thinking about Dawkins in a Denver Broncos uniform. I'm seeing a new coach and a new personnel group working to set a new tone, on the field and off, and understanding why they would be so attracted to Dawkins and his singular personality. I'm seeing Dawkins, prideful, so prideful, working himself into a state that it will be hard to fathom. He talked recently about how Donovan McNabb always played better with a chip on his shoulder and, well, it will be hard to imagine Dawkins' upcoming fury.

How the Eagles allowed this to happen is beyond me. Because, you know, I understand the football part of it completely but it does not trump the rest of it. I understand that they were finding ways to hide Dawkins at times last year, scheming around him. I get that, and get that it was only going to get harder. But Dawkins remained a tangible force around the line of scrimmage. Even if his selection to the Pro Bowl in 2008 smacked of a kind of lifetime-achievement award, even if he was heading toward part-time status within the next year or so, there had to be a way to get this done. They are so far under the NFL's salary cap, tens and tens and tens of millions to the good, that there had to be some way to make a deal.

It was the old Eagles coach from the '60s, Joe Kuharich, who famously said that if you start letting the fans make the decisions for you, soon you'll be sitting with them. It was true then and it is true now. You do not re-sign Dawkins just because he is beloved and because his departure would make people furious -- and it has and it will.

At the same time, there has to be a recognition of the fact that, while Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb are the faces of the franchise, Dawkins has been the heart. It has to be a tiebreaker, if nothing else. No one knows what the Eagles offered but you have to assume they did make an offer -- based upon Reid's stated optimism at re-signing Dawkins, if nothing else. And if they did make an offer, it means they did want him. The fact that Dawkins went to Denver means that the Eagles wanted him, but only on their terms. That just isn't good enough, not for a franchise with so much money it cannot possibly spend it.

Even if Dawkins' only function was to buy you a little more time and seasoning for Quintin Demps, it would have been worth the cash.
Right before the start of the playoffs in January, I wrote this about Eagles fans and their relationship with this special player:

"...When they look at Brian Dawkins, what they see is themselves.

"Thirteen years. It is a long time to be carrying a municipal legacy onto the field every week. It is forever, in many ways - and Dawkins will be a forever kind of player for this franchise, cherished, remembered, all of that, long after the No. 20 is put away.

"Part of it is because he has been so good, a seven-time Pro Bowler, the best safety in the history of the franchise. Part of it is because of how hard he hits people, how he just pulverizes them, even now. Long after the details are forgotten, the visceral remains. You wince when Dawkins really launches himself at somebody. That is what people will always remember - the wince, and then the wow.

"But it is more than that - and, no, not that ridiculous, indescribable routine he goes through when he emerges from the tunnel and goes onto the field. It is simpler than that. It is visible passion, visible to all.

"No Eagles fan can possibly doubt that Dawkins cares more than they do. That's it. That is the connection between a man and a city. That is the bond."

And while I understand that it's a business, a cold business, there always was the hope that it would be different with this team and this guy.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that they are going to be a lot worse on the field without Brian Dawkins. But the Eagles are going to be lesser.
<!-- this debug note is here to check isAudio = false & isVideo = false --> <!-- isAudio checked to false - false with mp3Pull set to $mp3Pull // false isVideo is checked to false --> <!-- end blog_entry paragraph count = 15 --> Posted by Rich Hofmann

yeah....at philly....

And the entire f**king place will stand for Brian Dawkins and make fools out of the front office.

Thank God that game's in Philly, we'd lose in Denver. May lose at home, but we'd definitely lose in Denver.

good article from Hoffman. not usually a fan of his but definitely some of his best work.

My biggest problem with letting Dawkins go is who his replacement is going to be in an incredibly shallow free agent class at safety. We had the cap space to sign him we just didn't because we will not over pay for anyone who is aging on the field despite the intangibles they bring. I totally understand why they did this it just seems calous.

It is callous and there's no way to spin it and pretend it's not.

It's pretty simple, when you say a team is a family and they take care of each other, etc. then you have to act like it. And if that's the case, the truth is, there are some family members who you make exceptions for. You just do. And you don't need to apologize for it, because everybody else understands what they do for the greater family.

But when you apply the same principles across the board without consideration of the situation or the person involved, then you're running a business. Because you're putting something above the people involved. Nothing wrong with that, but if that's what you're going to do, you shouldn't pretend its anything else.

What bothers me as well is the replacement thing. There have been drafts in which there's been depth at safety. I'm not sure this is one of them.

I actually think this had only so much to do with McDaniels. I do think he remembers what Rodney Harrison did for the Pats, but I also think the Broncos remember the really strong couple of years they got from John Lynch.

They also have a pretty strong history of safeties in that organization so they know their value historically.

The Eagles, however, apparently do not.

B-Dawk can barely even talk about leaving Philly, the guy's so emotional. (This video doesn't seem to be the greatest).

Here's one thing I don't really understand about this move from the other side of it.

The Broncos are going to the 3-4, Mike Nolan's been hired and everybody knows this. I don't think it's even going to be the kind of NE hybrid 3-4/4-3, but basically a straight 3-4.

Everybody also pretty much accepts that the Broncos don't have the players for this system right now. They can move DJ Williams around, but they need LBs bad, they need DL bad and instead they go out and get a safety who seems to be slowing down? I would have thought if they were going to over-pay for a veteran, that they might better spend the money on someone like Ray Lewis who could QB that defense.

Brian Dawkins, to my knowledge, hasn't played a 3-4 at any moment in his thirteen year career. I understand you want the guy's leadership, that's worth the money, but given the system the move confuses me at best and makes me wonder if the front office there knows what they're doing at worst.

Dont know if you guys care, but Eagles traded Lito to the Jets for a draft pick...

Per Adam Kaplan, Sirius NFL Radio:

Eagles are interested in Jabari Greer, UFA CB, Buffalo. Signing him would allow to trade Sheldon Brown, who is underpaid and likely will want a new deal soon, to Arizona along with a pick for Boldin.

Also, Eagles liked Scaife, who was tagged. No other TE's are out there, so they will look for TE in the draft. If they want the guy from OSU, they will need to trade up.

Both of those nuggets are very interesting, B.

What's really interesting to me is that the Birds could go into the season with a secondary of two CBs that didn't come from this system (a first in like 10 years) and a safety tandem of the Quentins.

Now, that said, if we could trade Sheldon (who I really like) to AZ and keep both of our first round picks for Boldin, I think I would be happy with that.

That would allow us to take an OL and a skill player in the first round, and use some of our other picks to trade back into the second round or whatever we lost.

Both of those nuggets are very interesting, B.

What's really interesting to me is that the Birds could go into the season with a secondary of two CBs that didn't come from this system (a first in like 10 years) and a safety tandem of the Quentins.

Now, that said, if we could trade Sheldon (who I really like) to AZ and keep both of our first round picks for Boldin, I think I would be happy with that.

That would allow us to take an OL and a skill player in the first round, and use some of our other picks to trade back into the second round or whatever we lost.

That reminded me. He also said the Eagles will look to sign a veteran Safety for 1 or 2 years, and mix Demps in with him. And then when Demps is ready, he will take over. I don't think he's ready to start full-time yet.

Kaplan also said Tra Thomas is getting no offers. He's 34 and no one wants him. So, look for Thomas to stay in Philly for another year or two at a decent price.

There's also that TE from South Carolina (I think) who's supposed to be a stud. Basically there are like three TEs in this draft, four if you count the one from Florida, that you want. The one you mention, the one from OU, the one from SC, and the last one from Florida. Or is there one from Mizzou, too?

He also said the Eagles will look to sign a veteran Safety for 1 or 2 years, and mix Demps in with him.

Unbelievable. Probably Leonhard.

Good news about Tra. Funny thing is, I want Ruyan back, too. For chrissake, if you could block I wouldn't think twice about throwing you out there when we play the Giants with all the pressure they're going to bring.

There's also that TE from South Carolina (I think) who's supposed to be a stud. Basically there are like three TEs in this draft, four if you count the one from Florida, that you want. The one you mention, the one from OU, the one from SC, and the last one from Florida. Or is there one from Mizzou, too?

If they can re-sign Tra, they aren't locked into a OT in round 1. They could essentially use both picks (unlikely) for a RB and TE, or trade the picks to move up. Or trade a pick for Boldin, but if Brown also goes, I think Brown and a 4th/5th is fine for Boldin.

I love that you think for a second we won't draft an OL early. It's that optimism that we all have until, well, right up until they draft another OL with their first pick.

Something tells me if we give up Brown we're going to have to still give up like a third or even a second for Boldin as well. Is it too much, yeah, probably, but that's just the way it is.

Still, that's fine with me based on all the other picks we have. Someone will give us a third round pick for two in round five or something like that. Oddly, I actually want them to draft OL in the first round. There are accepted solid linemen out there this year, we could use the depth, I say take one. Then they can get creative, maybe best skill player available, whether that's a TE, an RB, and LB, or even WR.

these assholes better have something in the works because as of right now, im not impressed....

Im holding off the urge to rant and curse and bitch though...

for now....

You're feeling what we're all feeling right now, Smoke and the far end of this spectrum is Donovan leaving.

And people can say whatever they want about Donovan, but if the team stays as currently constructed and you remove Donovan we will finish last in the NFC East next year.

At this point, if they can pry Boldin out of AZ, this offseason can still be a success. But now, and this is classic Eagles' front office, they've backed themselves into a corner where pretty much 'only' getting Boldin makes this off-season a success, and even then people are still going to be pissed they let B-Dawk walk.

I'm not sure how they spin this as anything positive if they 'don't' get Boldin.

Braylon Edwards is supposedly quietly being shopped...

As a Browns fan I was quietly aware this was happening. Mostly only in my head, but I'd heard whispers in reality, too.

Thing is, Braylon might be the smart play and here's why. The Browns are really low on draft picks this year. They need 'em, bad. Currently they're sitting at four picks total, including none in the third, fifth, and seventh rounds.

Would a third and a fifth be worth it to you for a number one receiver? It might be to the Browns who, on another note, seem to be steamrolling their way to a three win season this year and opening day is still six months out.

What I'd suggest:

1. Boldin
2. Braylon

4. Hakeem Nicks (North Carolina)

6. Reggie Williams and his stash

Braylon Edwards is supposedly quietly being shopped...

As a Browns fan I was quietly aware this was happening. Mostly only in my head, but I'd heard whispers in reality, too.

Thing is, Braylon might be the smart play and here's why. The Browns are really low on draft picks this year. They need 'em, bad. Currently they're sitting at four picks total, including none in the third, fifth, and seventh rounds.

Would a third and a fifth be worth it to you for a number one receiver? It might be to the Browns who, on another note, seem to be steamrolling their way to a three win season this year and opening day is still six months out.

What I'd suggest:

1. Boldin
2. Braylon

4. Hakeem Nicks (North Carolina)

6. Reggie Williams and his stash

I think Edwards is clearly better than Boldin. Interesting you rate Boldin higher. I also believe it would be easier to make a trade with the Browns (new coach + already dealt Winslow) than the Cardinals.

I think Braylon is a top-5 WR.

So much can happen yet. Let's not cry failure less than a week into the fa period.

And when we say "is it worth a second to get boldin", what were really saying is "is it worth a second to please mcnabb"

And when we say "is it worth a second to get boldin", what were really saying is "is it worth a second to please mcnabb"

I disagree with that from this standpoint--and it explains why I want Boldin above Edwards as well.

Boldin is 28, barely. The next three, maybe as many as five years are the prime of his career. He's a good character guy. He's tough as s**t. He had his face broken mid-season this year, had it fixed without anethestic (sp?) and came back to play in the same season. All that plays very well in Philly.

Braylon is super-talented, but he's got emotional issues. And he drops balls. Not just here and there, but for months at a time. I don't know why, I don't know if we could fix his hands or his head, but the guy has the potential to be a head-case. Boldin doesn't. Trade for him, show him you want him, pay him good money, he'll bust his ass for you.

That to me is worth a second round pick, making our Pro Bowl QB happy would just be a bonus.

But if that can't happen, Braylon is absolutely worth a three and a five or whatever it would take outside of a first round pick.

SPRINGS WILL VISIT THE EAGLES

Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 5:39 p.m.

With cornerback Lito Sheappard traded to the Jets, the Eagles need a replacement on the depth chart.

And they might have found one in Shawn Springs.

The Eagles have announced that Springs will visit the team. In many cases with the Eagles, it’s a precursor to signing the player.

The Eagles also have Asante Samuel, Sheldon Brown, and Joselio Hanson on the depth chart. Hanson recently signed a contract extension that entrenches him as the nickel back, at a minimum. So unless the Eagles are thinking about moving Brown, Springs would be the dime back, at best.

Not to shoot the messenger or anything, but a half-empty jar of ball sweat would be a more interesting addition to the Eagles at this point than a broken down Shawn Springs.

DOES DONOVAN WANT MARVIN?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 11:04 a.m.

So which players would allow Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb to feel better about his team’s chances of winning a Super Bowl, and thus less likely to eventually launch a power play aimed at getting out of town?

According to Mark Eckel of the Trenton Times, signing free-agent receiver Marvin Harrison would be a good start.

Though it’s not completely clear whether Eckel is reporting that McNabb would be happy if Harrison is signed or whether Eckel merely believes that there’s a causal connection between Harrison getting a contract and McNabb being happy to see him (unless that’s a barf bag in his pocket), Eckel knows the team well enough to know what will make McNabb happy.

So why haven’t the Eagles made a play for Harrison?

It could be he still believes that, if the Colts won’t pay $9 million in base salary to a 37-year-old receiver with bad knees and a legal cloud hanging over him, someone else will. (And if a week on the open market with no serious offers and no visits hasn’t changed his mind, we don’t know what will.)

We think it’s more likely that the Eagles are genuinely worried about whether Harrison can still play at a high level, and whether his arrival would raise fan and media expectations to a level that the team simply might not be able to achieve.

Managing expectations is the key. A coach’s job security isn’t based solely on wins and losses, but on how the actual wins and losses compare to the expected performance. In this specific case, the arrival of Harrison might do much more for the franchise’s expectations in 2009 than it will to their ability to meet them.

Broncos shopping TE Scheffler? <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">url = "http://media.philly.com/images/icon_audio.gif" ;</script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"> showOdiogoReadNowButton (_odiogo_feed_id, 'Broncos shopping TE Scheffler?', '40711737', 290, 55);*</script> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"> showInitialOdiogoReadNowFrame (_odiogo_feed_id, '40711737', 290, 0); </script><iframe name="iframe_odiogo_40711737" id="iframe_odiogo_40711737" src="http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/moving_the_chains/Broncos_shopping_TE_Scheffler.html" scrolling="no" width="290" frameborder="0" height="0"></iframe>

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler is on the trading block, according to Mike Klis of The Denver Post.

If you're unfamiliar with Scheffler, he had 40 catches for 645 yards and three touchdowns last season. He had five TDs the year before and four in 2006.

He averaged 16.1 yards per reception, which ranked first among NFL tight ends in 2008.

A second-round pick, Scheffler is listed at 6-feet-5, 250 pounds and just turned 26 a couple weeks ago.

Per Klis, the Broncos and Josh McDaniels already have ex-Patriot Daniel Graham, and their offense is expected to use mostly one tight-end sets.
Klis speculates that Scheffler could be a good fit with the Eagles. He is not citing sources who say they are interested, but simply reasons that a west coast offense, which uses more than one tight end, could use a guy like Scheffler.

No word on what the Broncos might want for the tight end.

One tight end was already dealt this offseason when the Browns traded Kellen Winslow to the Bucs. Cleveland got Tampa's second-round pick in 2009 and a fifth-rounder in 2010, according to Tony Grossi of The Plain Dealer.

Meanwhile, quick Tra Thomas note. The Florida Times-Union reports that the Jaguars spoke to Thomas recently, but there was not an official visit, and he never set foot inside the club's facilities. It's unclear what that means exactly, and I wouldn't read too much into it, but just thought I'd pass it along. A source told Bob Brookover of The Inquirer that the two sides were "far apart on the numbers" so the bottom line is that a deal with the Jaguars does not appear to be imminent.

I can almost guarantee the Eagles make a run at Sheffler if he is available. They had interest in Scaife, who was franchise, and no other TEs remain available. I can't imagine Denver would want anything higher than a 4th rounder.

Back