Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

jump, i cant do that camel snus, i just cant...i get the biggest damn headaches from the skoal xtra too i dont know what it is.

wish i could do the snus because its less tobacco, but just stopping the long cut was big step for me.

Just like when we didn't know McNabb was finished before everyone else wanted to admit it?

Give up. You can not talk sense to people who weren't emotionally invested watching him run the ball up the middle 4 times from the 1 vs. San Fran, challenging coin flip calls in the second quarter and not having that challenge later in the game when he needed it, calling 4 yard pass plays time and again on 3rd down when you need 7 for a 1st, etc etc the list goes on. The worst part was that in spite of the ineptitude he remains an arrogant asshole who always thought he was the smartest guy in the room, ignoring loud voices and logic in never investing in positions of need through the draft or free agency to the detriment of the team.

I have to say that I enjoy the people saying that he must be a good coach cause he had so many former members of his staff go on to have success coaching other teams. That is the equivalent of me having great success with a team full of analysts working for me who go on to be partners elsewhere later in their career and when I have a team of personally selected people who aren't as good my work turns into shit.

Tebow Bless the poor people of Kansas City.

i dont know bcuz he did it so fast instead of let it drag out he can spin that on those kids, in fact i dont think he even had actual interviews it was more like his agent asking "are you going to offer us something today or not" cuz he would look like the biggest scumbag in america

but i do think he is a "two/three and done guy" lol

bidding war for chip now, his price just went through the roof.

mike mccoy is best one out there to me though.

True. He'll spin that he was in fact just leveraging which seemed to have worked to the tune of 1.3mil.

No more then three years for sure (unless sanctions get lessened and classes continue to get strong). Then I think he keeps building resume for another year or two.

All I know is this now ends poorly for either the Browns or the Birds. I just feel it, the only question is which one.

I suppose my hope before this was that Kelly ended up in Cleveland and Bill O in Philly. Now I guess I still hope for the former and God knows what for the latter. I'm still worried though. Probably irrationally.

As if anything fan-based is ever really rational.

JoeP, maybe both hires score and we meet in the Super Bowl, January, 2015.

If the loser in the Chip Kelly Derby cools its heels a bit, they could make out just fine. You'd think this guy invented the game.

All I know is this now ends poorly for either the Browns or the Birds. I just feel it, the only question is which one.

I suppose my hope before this was that Kelly ended up in Cleveland and Bill O in Philly. Now I guess I still hope for the former and God knows what for the latter. I'm still worried though. Probably irrationally.

As if anything fan-based is ever really rational.

Id be fine with Mike McCoy

Sal Pal says Gruden (jon) is definitely NOT in play in Philly

So its either Kelly or McCoy or Im pissed......

JoeP, maybe both hires score and we meet in the Super Bowl, January, 2015.

Gorgolon, is that you?

So its either Kelly or McCoy or Im pissed......

I love Smoke. He makes life worth living at times.

Winners: The wonderful BBQ restaraunts in Kansas City.

Losers: Jamal Charles fantasy owners.

Losers? So LeSean McCoy and Brian Westbrook had shitty fantasy value when they were healthy? Do we still have that icon where the emoticon is hanging itself? Jamaal is just as qualified rushing or receiving the football from the RB position as those two were.

You rust belt fans who think Chip is a slam dunk to lead your football teams will be one pissed off group (OK, maybe more pissed of as usual) if Ron Rivera gets let go/fired today during his exit interview with the Panthers. #CammyCam

Reid couldn't possibly do any more damage to Jamal's numbers than Romeo did at times, and even more so Haley before him. Haley used to give the ball to ... who was that old guy, Thomas Jones? And Romeo seemed to forget he had Jamal. That and the Chiefs were often down big in a hurry.

You rust belt fans who think Chip is a slam dunk to lead your football teams will be one pissed off group (OK, maybe more pissed of as usual) if Ron Rivera gets let go/fired today during his exit interview with the Panthers. #CammyCam

Depends on how much Chip likes money.

Grossi still banging the drum for Saban this morning ...

After the Chip Kelly interview, does Jimmy Haslam finally make his run at Nick Saban?

<small class="tstamp" style="font-size: 10px; margin-bottom: 5px; margin-top: 0px; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Verdana; ">Jan 04, 2013 -- 6:00am</small>
Jimmy-Haslam-1.jpg

Photo/AP

By Tony Grossi
The Morning Kickoff …
Now down to business: The Browns coaching search comes to a conclusion with today’s reported interview of Oregon’s Chip Kelly.
This comes after Jimmy Haslam and Joe Banner camped down in Arizona for a week and reportedly interviewed, in succession, Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton (gotthat out of the way), former Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt (why not?), Penn State coach Bill O’Brien (thanks for the $1.3 million raise, Nittany Lions) and Syracuse coach Doug Marrone (the .500 Big East coach). The latter two were Bill Belichick’s suggestions through Mike Lombardi.
Yes, Kelly may be the end of the interview process for Haslam and Banner. Haslam still has to meet and size up the man everyone is calling the favorite for the Browns’ job.
But the next order of business may be just that – a business meeting with Nick Saban.
All along, I’ve believed the Browns’ job was Saban’s for the taking. After this Kelly interview is taken care of, Haslam can refuel his jet, drop off Banner in Cleveland or Philadelphia, and go get himself a football coach down in south Florida where Saban is preparing Alabama for its third BCS Championship Game in four years. This one is against Notre Dame on Monday.
Striking a deal: There is no interview per se with Saban. Haslam doesn’t have to inquire, “Now, Nick, how would your system translate to our pro game?” Or, “Say, Nick, could you go over one more time why you need four quarterbacks who run a 4.4 40?”
The business meeting with Saban goes something like this: “Yes, full say-so in personnel, house in Bratenahl on Lake Erie, and you put the decimal point where you want it.”
Haslam, a devout University of Tennessee benefactor, has watched Saban dominate the Southeastern Conference for six years. In that time, Haslam’s beloved Volunteers have stumbled through three different coaches.
It’s kind of a snapshot of what Haslam bought into with his $1 billion purchase of the Browns. Alabama, with Saban, is Pittsburgh. Tennessee has been the Browns, changing coaches every two years.
Kelly is … well, in another era, he was Mouse Davis, who begat June Jones and Kevin Guilbride and the run-and-shoot craze that enjoyed a few years success until the NFL started practicing for it and then beat the tar out of those little receivers and quarterbacks.
I’m not saying that Kelly isn’t a good college coach or that his offensive principles don’t have merit. Belichick and others have borrowed from it. Kelly is sharp and innovative. And if you don’t think so, just ask him or Lombardi. You can send Saban’s offensive coordinator to one of Kelly’s renowned coaching clinics for some pointers on speeding up the tempo of your offense.
But in this league, you still have to block and tackle – and that is what Saban is all about.
Do you really want to entrust your $1 billion investment to a coach whose myriad supporters are not even 100 percent certain can succeed in the NFL? And do you really want to have a pure college coach from New Hampshire and Oregon rely on Banner and Lombardi to fill his unique player needs?
Will he or won’t he?: You get the feeling things have fallen perfectly for Saban to surprise everybody (again) by making another career move back to the NFL.
All week, Kelly has soaked up the media spotlight, playfully deflecting questions about his imminent jump to the NFL. After Kelly’s Oregon Ducks beat Kansas State, 35-17, in the Fiesta Bowl Thursday night, Kelly said, “I want to get it wrapped up quickly and figure out where I’m gonna be.”
Meanwhile, everyone assumes and reports that Saban is happy to retire in Alabama. It’s to the point where Saban isn’t even being pestered about it that much. Maybe it will pick up again after Kelly picks his NFL suitor. Not that Saban’s answers matter, anyway.
The page is turning to Saban just as reports have the Browns gearing up interest in pursuing Tom Gamble, the San Francisco 49ers director of player personnel.
Gamble is one of the most qualified GM candidates on the market. Gamble would probably require full general manager authority to leave the 49ers. He is being pursued by other teams for that capacity. I have never had the feeling that Banner would name a GM because none would likely accept the job in the configuration Banner has established.
But if Saban is landed as Browns coach, he would have the full authority on personnel. He couldn’t be bullied, or undermined. Saban is the strong leader that Haslam has to come home with. I think Haslam knows that.
[TABLE="width: 590"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]
GROSSIwknrredux.jpg
Tony Grossi covers the Browns for ESPN 850 WKNR, ESPN 1540 KNR2 and
www.espncleveland.com.He has covered the Browns with distinction since 1984 and is one of 44 voters for the National Football League Hall of Fame. Email your “Hey Tony” questions totgrossi@espncleveland.com
Follow Tony on Twitter @tonygrossi[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Smoke, do what I did and just stop making your points to Crawdads. We know the Eagles, he doesnt. Let him think what he wants. Reid was garbage the last 2 years as a coach just like McNabb was garbage when he went to Washington.

Im in on Kelly or McCoy. I agree with you 100%, anyone else and ill be pretty mad

yeah but last year he did a great job with Tebow

Was it really that great though? Series of improvised, improbable acts of God. How many times in that run would Tebow enter the second half with like 15 yards passing?

Like Mccoy personally the best if you arent going for Wiz or Lovie. I wont be the one to diminish what Mccoy did with Tebow, he showed he could adapt his offense around the skill set of a player, something idiots like Rex Ryan nor Sunglasses at Night could do. Then he did have imo the greatest qb of all time with him this year, however after a serious injury and one year layoff, and showed he could adapt to peyton and prosper in offense. mccoy is young, peyton loves him, players love him, and he should have gotten the raiders job last year over allen, that was laughable. no slam dunk, but if my lions were looking for a new coach, if not wiz or lovie or gruden, he would be my guy.

Was it really that great though? Series of improvised, improbable acts of God. How many times in that run would Tebow enter the second half with like 15 yards passing?
Never mind the 2H, more like the 4th quarter. Those short little screens where the receiver manages to break one off for major yardage tend to skew your numbers just a bit...

Also, hey fucker, easy on the racism.

Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton (got that out of the way)

(emphasis his)

Yeah, I think Grossi may want Saban more than Haslam wants Saban.

Did hear on the radio today that on the Dan Patrick show - and I didn't hear the Dan Patrick show, so this was radio about radio - that Spurrier slipped a bit when talking about his buddy Saban that he "didn't know if Nick was going to take that Cleveland job" ... I guess they weren't even talking about that at the time, they were talking about the championship game.

Also, hey fucker, easy on the racism.

Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton (got that out of the way)

(emphasis his)

lol, yeah I thought that too. Little cavalier when not writing for the PD anymore.

5. The real Bill O'Brien story. Sorry. I'm not buying the one about his loyalty to Penn State. I agree he loves the place, but if you're loyal and you want to get paid more, you say to the school, "I'm going to interview for jobs unless you give me a raise." You don't go interview for jobs, then find out you may or may not get a job, then if you don't, you've got to go back to Penn State and still pledge your love for the place. But that's the way the college business works. Unless you can keep an interview secret, as the Rams were able to do last year with Greg Schiano, you've got to pledge your love for the college within 48 hours of the news surfacing that you might leave.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130104/game-plan-wild-card/#ixzz2H2M2qJIv

peter king

He's not a long term guy there...I'm sure he hates to leave them now, but I can't see him there five years from now. He's an NFL guy.

5. The real Bill O'Brien story. Sorry. I'm not buying the one about his loyalty to Penn State. I agree he loves the place, but if you're loyal and you want to get paid more, you say to the school, "I'm going to interview for jobs unless you give me a raise." You don't go interview for jobs, then find out you may or may not get a job, then if you don't, you've got to go back to Penn State and still pledge your love for the place. But that's the way the college business works. Unless you can keep an interview secret, as the Rams were able to do last year with Greg Schiano, you've got to pledge your love for the college within 48 hours of the news surfacing that you might leave.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130104/game-plan-wild-card/#ixzz2H2M2qJIv

peter king

his interview lasted an hour, via telephone with browns. not much of an interview, caplan said most last hours upon hours.

Bill O'Brien says on local radio that teams reached out to his agent. Says that he felt a responsibility to return.

his interview lasted an hour, via telephone with browns. not much of an interview, caplan said most last hours upon hours.

Bill O'Brien says on local radio that teams reached out to his agent. Says that he felt a responsibility to return.

I like the guy and think he's done a phenomenal job but I have to laugh at him claiming that he "felt a responsibility to return" if he meant that as in he felt a responsibility to return the call to the Browns. He felt a responsibility to see how much money he could get and how comfortable he could make his family. I don't blame the guy one bit but there's no need to lie about it

I have to laugh at him claiming that he "felt a responsibility to return" if he meant that as in he felt a responsibility to return the call to the Browns. He felt a responsibility to see how much money he could get and how comfortable he could make his family. I don't blame the guy one bit but there's no need to lie about it

This.

My version of his end of the call: "Yeah, thanks for reaching out to me, I really appreciate the consideration. Why don't you tell me about your organizationa. philosophy and what you're looking for in the position?"

An hour of mute & Angry Birds later.

"That's really interesting and I like your thinking. I'm really sorry I need to cut this short, but I have to jump into another meeting right now and I'm really committed to rebuilding the program here at PSU. But I can't thank you enough for considering me and I really wish you guys the best in your search and in the upcoming season."

Click.

Calls agent. "Yeah, I interviewed with the Browns, you can make the call now."

cant hate on what Bruce has done this year, but i really think that team was playing for Chuck the whole time. Bruce is 60 and has never had a HC job. Id rather look elsewhere. But I wouldnt be furious

I like the guy and think he's done a phenomenal job but I have to laugh at him claiming that he "felt a responsibility to return" if he meant that as in he felt a responsibility to return the call to the Browns. He felt a responsibility to see how much money he could get and how comfortable he could make his family. I don't blame the guy one bit but there's no need to lie about it
From what I've read, odds are he wouldn't have been able to leave regardless because of the termination clause in his contract with PSU:

Jones also speculated that while O'Brien's interest in the NFL is real, his flirtation this season could be as much to force a new deal with Penn State as anything else. Several reports have surfaced saying that in return for the near legendary job security given to O'Brien in the wake of the NCAA sanctions, Penn State inserted an incredibly onerous buyout clause into O'Brien's deal.

Some reports say it is over $9m, while others say it's in excess of $18m. This is money that O'Brien would have to shell out personally should he terminate his contract at any time.

I've been assured by people close to the Philadelphia Eagles, for instance, that there is absolutely no way owner Jeffrey Lurie would pay even $9.2M up front, let alone $18.4M.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...mors-if-the-eagles-offer-him-the-job-hes-gone

By the way, what the hell happened to the "Rooney Rule"? Did the Chiefs get a free pass because their previous coach was black?

KC "interviewed" the Atlanta special teams coach to comply with the Rooney Rule. A hot commodity, I'm sure, but his name escapes me.

The consistent, yearly farce of most teams to give a token interview to a coach of color pisses me off. The vast majority of them never have any intention of hiring the guy.

That said, at the very least it's practice for the coach—and we're dumb enough and have a short enough memory as a society that as soon as the very next year you get articles that include statements like "Last year Coach XYZ interviewed for multiple HC jobs."

Phtpt.

I actually listened to a podcast in which somebody; i think it was Mike Lombardi, was talking about the Rooney Rule. While it appears farcical on the surface, and I always looked at it that way too, he made some real good points. even if he was never going to get the job, he got the experience of the interview. that could help him for his next interview. there is a very big lack of minority coaches, especially at the college level.

This one in particular went down so fast though with both Reid and the Chiefs seemingly in a big hurry, you get the impression that the KC people were like, "Quick, get me a black coach on skype. Falcons special teams coach? OK, he'll do."

Back