Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

favorites

KC Reid
CLE Kelly
PHI Obrien

will all be solved by weekend, last report on psu coach says will go to eagles only, if they offer he is gone, and psu will be done as hackenberg said he would go elsewhere. kelly has breakfast planned with browns for friday.

I don't know why everyones saying that. If the Chiefs fall behind 7-0, Reid will abandon the run game and Quinn or whoever will throw 50 x

But, he'll then catch the balls out of the back field. Jamaal is more than qualified to do that and can. Speed kills. McCoy used to be legendary for it.

favorites

KC Reid
CLE Kelly
PHI Obrien

will all be solved by weekend, last report on psu coach says will go to eagles only, if they offer he is gone, and psu will be done as hackenberg said he would go elsewhere. kelly has breakfast planned with browns for friday.

Supposedly the wife wants to stay at PSU but hes open to the NFL

wonder what PSU would do for a coach if obrien leaves..

i still want chip kelly in philly over everyone else

i dont know the name, we were told by a few guys at the sports bar downstairs from bellevue to go to dililas for best ass, but my buddies wanted the sluttiest girls so they gave us passes to a place right down street/alley which was really small. per capita probably most strippers i have ever seen, not all hot, but anything seemed to go.

The Gold Club....haha...that place is terrible . well done....
/resume coaching thread.

then this class act took me upstairs in this two story bar and fingered her on a stove

This is the type of attention to detail and quality you'll really only get at CTG.

Long live Steed.

/resume_thread

Oh, also, Joe approves of this:

KC Reid
CLE Kelly
PHI Obrien

Granted, Kelly might destroy the Browns, but I'd rather see the experiment there than in Philly.

Is Andy good at clock management and challenges, probably not. To act like those Eagles teams were led solely by Jim Johnson defenses is factually incorrect. You don't compile that kind of record over that long and have that many assistants go on to be head coaches if you don't know what your doing. Eagles will win 5 or 6 games next yeaar.

975TheFanatic ‏<s>@</s>975TheFanatic Jeremiah Trotter: I think [Reid's] a really good coach that leaned on Jim Johnson for a lot of years.

Trotter just said that the team used to think if the talent level was equal between the two teams, the Eagles would probably lose because they would get outcoached

would love to be on the phone to hear how the calls to hack and brenamen go after all the praise for those that stayed the course shit...

I love Trotter. I mean, who doesn't.

Also, Smoke has me sold on Bill O. If he goes to the Birds or Browns I'll be happy just based on his recommendation.

Fuck - I was still holding out hope that Andy Reid would somehow end up in Dallas...

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much at all about O'Brien - but as a guy who never wants to see the Eagles beat anyone but Dallas twice and the Giants once, I hope Kelly doesn't go to Philly. I feel like they have most of the weapons in place to be a very scary offense with Kelly drawing up plays.....

I feel like they have most of the weapons in place to be a very scary offense with Kelly drawing up plays.....

I agree. What makes it interesting, though is that would a be a very 'now' coaching decision. I think the Birds want a longer term guy. I think he liked having Fat Andy there for a long time. And the reality is, DJax seems to have become a headcase (or always was), Shady spent time on the bench, Maclin can only get lit up like a Christmas tree for so many years, etc.

Kelly would be scary with this offense, but that window may not be open long—unless they draft to suit him which is part of the power he's said to want. None of which is bad, but the setup in Philly seems like more of a square hole as opposed to Cleveland.

All the Browns' skill guys are either rookies (Richardson, Weeden, Gordon) or second year guys (Little). Also, in Philly they've said they want Roseman to have more say in the draft and the HC/GM relationship to be more power-sharing than it was. That doesn't fit the rumors of what Kelly wants.

Cleveland on the other hand has said they will hire the coach first, then the GM (which worries me, but I wasn't consulted). That fits more with Kelly.

All this isn't to say Kelly is going to Cleveland over Philly—or to either job—but the set-up in Cleveland looks more like a fit for the guy to me. Both in personnel and the front office set up.

Should be interesting. I dont' know thre ins and outs of the front office stuff with these two franchises at all. Just the thought of Kelly with Foles and what seems to me like a ton of weapons makes for a scary situation for defenses. But I do agree that the Chip Kelly to Philly would be more of a - let's see how this goes for a couple of years and if it doesn't work fast - pull the rip cord. Kelly is probably more of a high risk hire anyway. I expect him to come in and be successful pretty quickly, or end up back in the college ranks ala Saban...

An offer he can't refuse? Haslam going gangster style on this one. I think Haslam's completely willing to be the highest bidder for the guy he wants. I know pretty much all the owners can do the same thing, but this is Haslam's new toy. I also agree with Tony Grossi. Until the Browns announce that a coach not named Nick Saban has been hired, I still think Saban's a possibility. Really looks like Chip right now, though.

Weeden can't run anything resembling Kelly's offense. Hiring Kelly for obscene money and drafting Geno #6 sounds possibly brilliant but probably disastrous. Brilliantly disastrous.

Yeah, it would have to be like the Patriots version of the spread offense. Weeden actually said the other day, from the horse's mouth, "I can't run the zone read option offense."

I dont think anyone is hiring Chip Kelly thinking that he will run the exact same offense that he runs at Oregon

NFL's definitely trending a little that way though, Smoke, if you have the QB in place. I agree though, if that's the only offense the guy knows how to coach and that's how it's going to be, who wants him in the NFL anyway. Browns just fired a guy for that.

Air raid O and tha run style spread offense chip Kelly runs is night an day jump
I think you guys should read this or this , because you are drastically underestimating how smart Chip Kelly is. He's not a one trick pony. There are many variations of the spread. There's a reason Bill Belichek considers him one of the brightest football minds in the business and consults with him.

I don't doubt Kelly can adapt and call plays, and that his offense can score points in the NFL. I'm interested to see how the pace translates. He's clearly going somewhere after this game tonight.

I think you guys should read this or this , because you are drastically underestimating how smart Chip Kelly is. He's not a one trick pony. There are many variations of the spread. There's a reason Bill Belichek considers him one of the brightest football minds in the business and consults with him.

Not sayin chip isn't smart I'm just sayin comparing tha Oregon spread O that we have seen since chip has been there an tha air raid spread O weeden ran at osu is night an day. Could he implement more of tha passin sure but rite now what we see an have seen from Oregon since 07 weeden isn't tha qb to run that O

Yeah, it would have to be like the Patriots version of the spread offense. Weeden actually said the other day, from the horse's mouth, "I can't run the zone read option offense."
Damn, I was hoping to see weeden in the open field hitting on R2 on his controller while getting decapitated.

I don't doubt Kelly can adapt and call plays, and that his offense can score points in the NFL. I'm interested to see how the pace translates. He's clearly going somewhere after this game tonight.
Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't 'speed' been a HUGE variable in terms of the success of Oregon's offense? Guys like Kenjon Barner, LaMichael James, Darron Thomas, De'Anthony Thomas, etc... are some of the fastest players I've ever seen - get out into open space, and they're gone. An offense with slightly slower players might not prove to be as effective and/or productive maybe at the NFL level where the closing time's a lot smaller.

Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't 'speed' been a HUGE variable in terms of the success of Oregon's offense? Guys like Kenjon Barner, LaMichael James, Darron Thomas, De'Anthony Thomas, etc... are some of the fastest players I've ever seen - get out into open space, and they're gone. An offense with slightly slower players might not prove to be as effective and/or productive maybe at the NFL level where the closing time's a lot smaller.

I think it's a valid concern for anyone who hires him, the relative speed of NFL defenses compared to the advantage his offenses had in college. It's burned a college coach or two making the jump before.

but this is Haslam's new toy

This. I agree, whoever he wants, he won't be out-bid.

I dont think anyone is hiring Chip Kelly thinking that he will run the exact same offense that he runs at Oregon

And this.

Kelly has said more than once that the offense you run is dependent on your talent. So
his style is going to adapt somewhat to the NFL.

Not only that, JoeP, but football seems to be this Haslam's reason for living. I never heard of him before the news broke he was buying the Browns, but his family's like Tennessee Vols football booster royalty (his brother's the Tenn governor), apparently they're football lifers. Owned a piece of the Steelers just to be part of the NFL party. Refreshing compared to Lerner, but I wonder if we're watching the dawn of the evolution of Cleveland's Jerry Jones. He did hire the guy away from the Cowboys who was the brains behind Jerry World. Expect a roof on that place, or a new place, in the next ten years.

BTW the disaster hire for the Eagles would be the Syracuse HC

I dont even know if Id be happy with him going to PSU if BO'B leaves

Almost impossible for me to be happier about this: A chat with Mary Kay Cabot from the Plain-Dealer, Douchebag Jordan Raanan from NJ.com and a guy from the Oregonian on Kelly going to either the Browns or Birds.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/chip_kellys_future_chat_live_a.html

TL'DR version: They both expect the Birds & Browns to offer Kelly a ton and the decision to be over by the weekend. They also both put O'Brien 2nd on the list for both teams.

Sometimes, well you guys know this, the rumors about this guy or that guy get legs because a single writer or blogger won't let go. Grossi won't let go of Saban, but I'm not sure he's doing much more than I am, speculating that Haslam would drool over a coach who's been stomping his beloved Vols for a decade and remembering that Saban has changed his mind and broken his word before. He (Saban) is doing a great job of staying out of the NFL circus leading up to the championship game. If he's got interviews set up the day after the game, no one knows it.

I agree. Every piece of logic says Saban is staying—other than his Larry Brown-like track record of not being able to stay in one place very long.

The other thing I think Grossi's doing is putting way too much weight behind Haslam's CFB love & ties. I don't know if that comes from an interaction with Haslam or just speculation, but I agree this is mostly just being driven by Grossi.

Speaking thereof, I alternate between liking Grossi and wanting to punch him in the dick. He's generally a pretty good reporter, but because he's covered the Browns forever sometimes he's like 'who are you to tell me anything about the Cleveland Browns.'

Dude, you're a glorified beat writer in Cleveland, Ohio. Have some perspective.

He's not a bad guy. I kind of admire that he was removed from the Browns beat twice, allegedly/maybe/probably at the suggestion of the Browns. Modell hated him in the print age, and then he inadvertently publicly tweeted that Lerner was an "irrelevant billionaire" in the twitter age. Cost him the gig at the PD. He did play a part in the public animosity toward Belichick, which may have played an oh so small part in the Browns moving in '95, so I can't forgive him for that crusade. And his crusade against Modell getting into the HOF seems pretty vindictive. (He has, or had, a vote). But all in all, not a bad guy.

Interesting that OBrien has interviewed with the Browns already. He is highly recommended by Brady and Hoodie. That great Eagles team in 08 was nearly last in defense but still made a great run. I'm assuming that was because of Johnson's defense? If any defense was overrated over the years it was Philadelphia's. Considering the lack of weapons Andy's offense had I think he did pretty damn good.

Back