Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

I am losing my mind here. Bottomw line on ESPN says jags interested in Brian fucking schottenheimer!?! Why?
what has he done to be even a coach.in.NFL?
his offenses are brutal.

What's worse, today I read the Browns were also considering Rob Chudzinski (sp?). Um, this guy was already a Browns OC—and was awful. Why would you even think about promoting him after you fired him?

More importantly, though, word is the Browns had a second interview with Wiz.

They seem like Lovie is not even in the picture for them, which I don't get but whatever. I'd take Wiz if they're not going to take a stab at a college coach with NFL potential—especially since those guys seem unavailable now.

I am going to change my last name to shottenheimer or shanahan n try n get hired on a NFL staff somewhere

Cowboys looking at monte?

Heard this today. As an Eagles fan I hate everything about this. I mean absolutely everything.

I read a rumor last week when Fat Andy was hired that KC was looking at him there, too. That would be an extremely dangerous combination if they could pull it off.

Why? The guy is 72 years old, his defenses were good a decade + ago. He had supreme talent at USC and was absolutely horrendous. Please tell me what scares you?

how do you figure? He has a lot of returning starters and the #1 recruiting class.

It's tough to envision ND showing up in the title game again, although the 4 team playoff may give them a better chance. Even if they do, they got absolutely steamrolled by Alabama, and it seems likely the same would happen against any of the other big boys they may meet. Their schedule each year is pretty tough, so going undefeated again isn't very likely, which would be the way you could see them getting back there if they were to. USC, Stanford, Michigan are on their schedule every year. It was a prefect storm for ND this year to get there (USC being down and Barkley out, squeaking by Stanford, unreal comeback vs Pitt after how many missed FGs), and they got bitch-slapped in the title game.

It's simply my opinion, so none of this is fact, but I don't see how ND gets a sniff of a title game for the foreseeable future. This was their year, this was their shot...and they got embarrassed. They aren't affiliated with a conference, which I think puts them at a huge disadvantage. I know there are many "tie ins" for ND to get a "final 4" game, but going undefeated seems the only likely way that would happen again. Alabama isn't going anywhere, so the beat down would happen again even if they did. There are probably 5-8 teams I think that could/would trounce ND if they were to meet them in a championship game or semi.

It's tough to envision ND showing up in the title game again, although the 4 team playoff may give them a better chance. Even if they do, they got absolutely steamrolled by Alabama, and it seems likely the same would happen against any of the other big boys they may meet. Their schedule each year is pretty tough, so going undefeated again isn't very likely, which would be the way you could see them getting back there if they were to. USC, Stanford, Michigan are on their schedule every year. It was a prefect storm for ND this year to get there (USC being down and Barkley out, squeaking by Stanford, unreal comeback vs Pitt after how many missed FGs), and they got bitch-slapped in the title game.

It's simply my opinion, so none of this is close to fact, but I don't see how ND gets a sniff of a title game for the foreseeable future. This was their year, this was their shot...and they got embarrassed. They aren't affiliated with a conference, which I think puts them at a huge disadvantage. I know there are many "tie ins" for ND to get a "final 4" game, but going undefeated seems the only likely way that would happen again.
mich/nd series is ending

@CFTalk: #fistpump RT @mortreport: Rob Chudzinksi is a done deal. He is the Browns new head coach. Confirmed.

That's ridiculous. A guy you fired as your OC not too long ago, is now your head coach. How in the fuck do you sell that to your fan base? Are they trying to leave C-Bus again? LA Browns?

The fact that the Browns canned him as OC notwithstanding, how did the Browns come to the conclusion that *he* was the best man (2nd best I guess since Chip gave em the okie doke) for the job? With all of the names that are out there, I would truly like to know how Rob Chudzinski ended up at the top of anyone's list.

I'm scratching my head (actually banging my head) as much as the next guy about this one, but Chud having been fired in Cleveland before really has nothing to do with nothing. That's the least of the mystery. Chud as OC was one previous owner ago, four or five GM's/presidents/whatevers ago, three head coaches ago (not including Chud), and probably at least half-a-dozen starting quarterbacks ago. There's literally almost no one left in the entire building that worked in Cleveland with Chud. Maybe Joe Thomas and the janitor in Berea.

The fact that the Browns canned him as OC notwithstanding, how did the Browns come to the conclusion that *he* was the best man (2nd best I guess since Chip gave em the okie doke) for the job? With all of the names that are out there, I would truly like to know how Rob Chudzinski ended up at the top of anyone's list.

Me too.

If I'm not mistaken, Chud was the OC who kept insisting deadeye Derek Anderson throw into gusty winds in week 16/game 15 at Cincy in the Browns only winning season the last 10 years. 4 interceptions, loss, cost 'em the playoffs.

I'm scratching my head (actually banging my head) as much as the next guy about this one, but Chud having been fired in Cleveland before really has nothing to do with nothing. That's the least of the mystery. Chud as OC was one previous owner ago, four or five GM's/presidents/whatevers ago, three head coaches ago (not including Chud), and probably at least half-a-dozen starting quarterbacks ago. There's literally almost no one left in the entire building that worked in Cleveland with Chud. Maybe Joe Thomas and the janitor in Berea.

I only meant for the fans. I know it means next to nothing as far as the team (owner, GM, personnel, etc), I was simply referring to the fans and how they will perceive it.

Clearly they had their heart set on an offensive coach, even if it meant hiring one without a hell of a lot of success. Shit, the CFL guy may have been an easier sell.

I only meant for the fans. I know it means next to nothing as far as the team (owner, GM, personnel, etc), I was simply referring to the fans and how they will perceive it.

Selling it to the fans, after not getting Kelly, wasn't going to happen anyway. There are somewhat softer sells on that list of coordinators and canned coaches, but with Kelly and Saban staying in college, there's not a name on the list that excites anyone. It had to be Kelly, Saban or a golden unicorn like Cowher or Jon Gruden. As far as making a splash goes, all the teams with vacancies are in the same boat, not really any splashes left.

so carolina has had to replace their OC and GM this year and Chip Kelly wont be coaching next year for a fired Ron Rivera? I am just not buying it.

so carolina has had to replace their OC and GM this year and Chip Kelly wont be coaching next year for a fired Ron Rivera? I am just not buying it.

who cares about next next yr?? what if rivera goes 11-5 n wins a playoff game? the way the nfl is, anything can happen, why be concerned about 2014 lol

Selling it to the fans, after not getting Kelly, wasn't going to happen anyway. There are somewhat softer sells on that list of coordinators and canned coaches, but with Kelly and Saban staying in college, there's not a name on the list that excites anyone. It had to be Kelly, Saban or a golden unicorn like Cowher or Jon Gruden. As far as making a splash goes, all the teams with vacancies are in the same boat, not really any splashes left.

Selling it to the fans, that they hired someone they just fired a few years ago. I know anyone would have been a tough sell after Chip spurned them, but I would imagine the first thing fans are saying tonight is "isn't that the bum we fired a few years back because he sucked?"

Not only who cares about next year, but why was this brought up again right now? Talking about Cleveland and who they just hired, this comment seemed out of place. Didn't you already say this anyway? Or did I miss some news about Carolina, or miss where someone else brought this up again today?

Selling it to the fans, that they hired someone they just fired a few years ago. I know anyone would have been a tough sell after Chip spurned them, but I would imagine the first thing fans are saying tonight is "isn't that the bum we fired a few years back because he sucked?"

I think you overestimate the attention span of fans who don't hang out on sports and gambling forums. Rehiring Romeo or Mangini would have caught their attention in that way. Chud will be referenced on the evening news and radio sports updates as a guy who once coached here on Crennel's staff. I mean, he was fired because Crennel was fired. Usually how it works. Well more than half the people wouldn't even remember he was here until they were told.

I think you overestimate the attention span of fans who don't hang out on sports and gambling forums. Rehiring Romeo or Mangini would have caught their attention in that way. Chud will be referenced on the evening news and radio sports updates as a guy who once coached here on Crennel's staff. I mean, he was fired because Crennel was fired. Usually how it works. Well more than half the people wouldn't even remember he was here until they were told.

I guess I overestimated Cleveland fans. I know damn well, here in Buffalo, there would be a near revolt if someone who was fired a few years ago as a coordinator was then brought in to run the whole damn ship. Different fan bases I guess. My bad.

I guess I overestimated Cleveland fans. I know damn well, here in Buffalo, there would be a near revolt if someone who was fired a few years ago as a coordinator was then brought in to run the whole damn ship. Different fan bases I guess. My bad.

They don't even revolt in Buffalo when they play home games in Canada.

You're not understanding. The hire will not be popular. But no one remembers Chud getting fired, as if he were canned mid-season or something, or canned while his head coach retained a job. Crennel was fired. Mangini was hired. Mangini brought in a new coaching staff. That's how it works.

They don't even revolt in Buffalo when they play home games in Canada.

You're not understanding. The hire will not be popular. But no one remembers Chud getting fired, as if he were canned mid-season or something, or canned while his head coach retained a job. Crennel was fired. Mangini was hired. Mangini brought in a new coaching staff. That's how it works.

Well, that's not exactly true.

And I understand your point completely. As I said, I guess I was wrong. Thing is, it took me 4 posts just for you to understand what I was trying to say. Wrong or not.

Chud was the OC who kept insisting deadeye Derek Anderson throw into gusty winds in week 16/game 15 at Cincy in the Browns only winning season the last 10 years. 4 interceptions, loss, cost 'em the playoffs.

This was the guy.

Derek Anderson was that perfect shitstorm that sums up the Browns. The guy has one good year, we could franchise him and get two first rounders for him—and every one knows this is what we should do. We keep him and he loses all value because he was dumb as a box of rocks and stared down WRs.

Forget for a second that this guy was fired by the Browns once and I personally think this makes them as a franchise look like they have no idea what the hell they're doing—even though the regime that fired him is long gone.

And forget for a second that Carolina's offense consists almost entirely of what Cam Newton can do on a weekly basis based on talent alone.

The ONLY other coach that has been hired so far is Andy Reid. That's it. Everybody else is available. EVERYONE.

You had a second interview with Wiz earlier today. You had yet to even interview other guys. You never even considered Lovie Smith who had more wins this year than your franchise has had in essentially the last three years combined.

Are you fucking shitting me?

You're telling me Rob Fucking Chudzinski isn't going to be available three weeks from now?

God I hope I'm wrong. I hope in his time away Chud has found the magic beans that will make him a winning HC. But if that's true this front office has some type of X-ray vision
that no one else in this league has.

NO ONE was interested in this guy. There is nothing to suggest this guy will be a success. Nothing.

This is like going showing up to a bar at 10pm only to leave with the drunk fat chick with the giant mole on her lip within the first hour because you know she's down to fuck. Then you try to sell it to your buddies the next day like you really scored.

Essentially this is why you don't let BAR run your football team.

FML.

here is the pt, cleveland hired a bum lol

and det187's new stalking for 2013 is carolina/rivera/kelly instead of his 2012 stalking of PSU/joepa/recruits there.. good lord

here is the pt, cleveland hired a bum lol

and det187's new stalking for 2013 is carolina/rivera/kelly instead of his 2012 stalking of PSU/joepa/recruits there.. good lord

Thanks for clearing that up for me Wade.

Honestly, I'm not sure I could be more bitter here. Maybe if they hired Saban. But at least if they hired that guy you could sell him as a success.

What the hell are they thinking? What do you say to the fans?

'Hey guys, you know your uncle Chud? The one that gets drunk and tries to fuck your sister at every family reunion, the one who may be a little retarded? Yeah, that guy's going to take over the family business and we couldn't be more excited.'

Whooooohooo. Where do I sign up for my PSL?

Chud was the OC who kept insisting deadeye Derek Anderson throw into gusty winds in week 16/game 15 at Cincy in the Browns only winning season the last 10 years. 4 interceptions, loss, cost 'em the playoffs.

This was the guy.

Derek Anderson was that perfect shitstorm that sums up the Browns. The guy has one good year, we could franchise him and get two first rounders for him—and every one knows this is what we should do. We keep him and he loses all value because he was dumb as a box of rocks and stared down WRs.

Forget for a second that this guy was fired by the Browns once and I personally think this makes them as a franchise look like they have no idea what the hell they're doing—even though the regime that fired him is long gone.

And forget for a second that Carolina's offense consists almost entirely of what Cam Newton can do on a weekly basis based on talent alone.

The ONLY other coach that has been hired so far is Andy Reid. That's it. Everybody else is available. EVERYONE.

You had a second interview with Wiz earlier today. You had yet to even interview other guys. You never even considered Lovie Smith who had more wins this year than your franchise has had in essentially the last three years combined.

Are you fucking shitting me?

You're telling me Rob Fucking Chudzinski isn't going to be available three weeks from now?

God I hope I'm wrong. I hope in his time away Chud has found the magic beans that will make him a winning HC. But if that's true this front office has some type of X-ray vision that no one else in this league has.

NO ONE was interested in this guy. There is nothing to suggest this guy will be a success. Nothing.

This is like going showing up to a bar at 10pm only to leave with the drunk fat chick with the giant mole on her lip within the first hour because you know she's down to fuck. Then you try to sell it to your buddies the next day like you really scored.

Essentially this is why you don't let BAR run your football team.

FML.

Pretty much agree. (Although, remember, the Syracuse guy was also hired, so two names gone.)

If the reports that Chud brings Norv along in the deal are true, I wonder if that has pretty much everything to do with it. Haslam seems to have a real hard-on for offense in this search and hire.

shoulda gave trestman a shot from the CFL.

I'm laughing to keep from crying because you're right.

(Although, remember, the Syracuse guy was also hired, so two names gone.)

Right, so the college coach that went .500 in his career and next to nobody had faith in got hired too. But even he is sellable as something new, somebody with new ideas on the game—or something.

If the reports that Chud brings Norv along in the deal are true

This is a really good point. And it is the only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing that could mitigate this disaster. They worked together in SD and their offense was really good. This would make me rescind my wishes of Haslam getting prison raped tonight in his sleep.

Pretty much agree. (Although, remember, the Syracuse guy was also hired, so two names gone.)

If the reports that Chud brings Norv along in the deal are true, I wonder if that has pretty much everything to do with it. Haslam seems to have a real hard-on for offense in this search and hire.

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Think he purposely left him out tip.

No way any team in history has paid more guys more money to just go away than the Browns since '99.

Back