Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

This thread gets funnier because no one deems anyone now available an ideal candidate. It's like the teams with coaching vacancies are playing Russian roulette, except the gun has six bullets instead of one. Bang - you get the Syracuse guy. Bang - you get Chudzinski. Next guy sobbing, sensing a Lovie-to-the-head.

Since we're calling this discussion salty, I might as well try and get some votes...what in the fuck does "salt award between two noms" mean? And I know that noms is nominees, but your sentence makes zero sense. You could have gone with "salt off" "salt argument" "rock paper salt"...or a list of others. You chose the one that makes no sense....next time ask one of your million questions per day and Wade or I will let you know what to use....

:hello:
like I said

I know it's not just you Wade, but does anyone know why there are so many double posts lately? Seems like they are showing up more and more each day. Just wondered what the deal was.
i think it has gotten better

i dont see em anymore

This thread gets funnier because no one deems anyone now available an ideal candidate. It's like the teams with coaching vacancies are playing Russian roulette, except the gun has six bullets instead of one. Bang - you get the Syracuse guy. Bang - you get Chudzinski. Next guy sobbing, sensing a Lovie-to-the-head.

Thing is you really don't know who's gonna pan out and who wont. This time last year I was all pissed off Penn State hired some no name coordinator from New England (where every failed coordinator turned head coach seemed to come from). Now I want the Eagles to go out and pay Penn State a $20 million buyout just to hire said 'no name coordinator from New England' away from them and in the process burn my alma matter's football program to the ground....

Being an Eagles fan does strange things to your head man

Being an Eagles fan does strange things to your head man

Truer words have never made me want to bump the Birds thread to the top of the forum than these.

Go Birds.

This is like going showing up to a bar at 10pm only to leave with the drunk fat chick with the giant mole on her lip within the first hour because you know she's down to fuck. Then you try to sell it to your buddies the next day like you really scored.

Essentially this is why you don't let BAR run your football team.

FML.

Masterfully snuck in there
:clapping:

Last edited:
birds wanna make a splash i told u what to do, lovie DC, dick vermeil as HC..

but also here is something to ponder.. lets bring in lovie as DC/HC on terms he has to have trestman(clf cat) as OC or overpay chip kellys right hand man in oregon their OC to run the offense..

GTFO. you are ragging on somebody about hiring Billick 1999 but then come out and say to hire Vermeil? lololollolololololololollolololololololol

Hahaha. Thanks, JG.

Also, now that I've had a night to sleep on this decision I'd like to just say it's still total bullshit.

Nice choice, bumblefucks. Hope I'm wrong.

So the Browns choose Chudzinski and the Cowboys sign Monte Kiffin to be their DC.

Dammit, world, what the hell did I do to you today? I'm barely out of bed for christssakes.

JoeP, catch the Chud presser if you can. Won't make you feel any better, but will give you some material for the next several pages.

Also, why was this creepy Banner thrust into my world?

Here's your first good news of the day, Tip.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I'm hearing from a very good source that Norv Turner is, in fact, coming with Chud to CLE.</p>&mdash; P. Schrager (@PSchrags) <a href="https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/289573487088119808" data-datetime="2013-01-11T03:24:33+00:00">January 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also, why was this creepy Banner thrust into my world?

Little known fact, Joe Banner is actually banned from driving windowless vans late at night in the entire Philly/South Jersey area. It led to too many "misunderstandings."

I get that it was kind of an NFL-arranged marriage, how else does a Tennessee tycoon warm up to Jeff Lurie's best buddy. But I was more comfortable with the image of Haslam as Jerry Jones than Banner as the smoking guy from X-Files.

things looking up in cleveland. they'll be looking down on the steelers and ravens in no time. if only they got kelly too. he and norv, they'd be putting up 50 a game, just like when spurrier went to the nfl. wait, nevermind. but i do like norv as an OC. where can i get my cleveland to win the division future. i'll pay -110.

In bizarre Browns news unrelated to the coaching carousel, Bernie Kosar's been making the local media rounds the last couple days pimping this quackass Florida doctor's methods in "brain therapy".

Yeah, watching Haslam justify who the hell this guy is as if no one in his PR department told him Chud was on staff not long ago inspires little confidence. Nor does Chud.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_introduce_rob.html

That all said, who the hell knows. The guy may have grown and figured it out. And, if Norv comes, the guy is a really good QB coach and Weeden has a ton of tools to work with. So, maybe. Just maybe.

In bizarre Browns news unrelated to the coaching carousel, Bernie Kosar's been making the local media rounds the last couple days pimping this quackass Florida doctor's methods in "brain therapy".

This is so not cool. I really, really hope Bernie gets whatever his brain trauma issues are fixed. It's really hard not to root for that guy and just to even hear him talk right now is difficult for a Browns fan.

Jags staying in house for the Rooney Rule. I dont even know who this Mel Tucker guy is but seems to have a good track record.

This is so not cool. I really, really hope Bernie gets whatever his brain trauma issues are fixed. It's really hard not to root for that guy and just to even hear him talk right now is difficult for a Browns fan.

Don't doubt that Bernie took a lot of knocks on the head, but guy's got a serious and obvious substance abuse problem. Pain pills, booze, probably both. He's beloved in Cleveland so he's constantly on radio shows to the point you get sick of him, but his on air demeanor and speech is so erratic ... he's not just punch drunk, he's drunk drunk. Google Kosar drunk on the radio and you can find links to an audio clip of him last month on the air, incoherent and rambling in the middle of the afternoon. He kind of disappeared after that for a while until yesterday's media blitz with the brain regenerating doctor no one's ever heard of. I'm all for incoherent rambling in the afternoon, but I reserve that for when safely perched on a barstool.

Oh, I heard the drunk one last month, it was sad and depressing. As soon as I heard it I hoped the guy was on his way to rehab. If that's the issue, I still really hope he gets there.

Like you said, he's so beloved. Everybody roots for Bernie to be OK. I am definitely one of those people.

Because Joe's a sap, so there.

Yeah, the Birds whiff on Brian Kelly (which may actually be a good thing) and now have no idea what the hell they're going to do.

Hell, at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after not after Gus Bradley, but Bob Bradley. Yak.

I'm apparently the only eagles fan in the world that would be ok with billick - but that's more about the other candidates than him (smith, Nolan, Arians, jay Gruden)

Billick interacting with the Philly media would be the gift that keeps on giving. Please make it happen. I do believe he's a good coach though, despite whatever drug he was taking in yesterday's broadcast. Don't see a great fit in Philly, but what coach does have a chance there under the current circumstances? The coach after this hire will be the one that has a chance to succeed after a rebuild.

Jason LaCanfora with some gems in his article today. I knew when the news leaked that Roseman had got a five year extension, we were fucked...

"Chasing every hot college coach, scrambling to the media to confirm some coaching interviews, obscure others; releasing skewed information about your whereabouts and resorting to day-late spin tactics after being repeatedly left at the altar isn't going to fly in Philly. Not when the entire league knew Andy Reid was done there since about the middle of the season, and not with a young general manager, Howie Roseman, trying to fight a growing perception around the league that he is woefully out of his depth"

"I wish I had a dollar for every time someone told me one esteemed coach or another advised one of the Eagles' top candidates not to take the job precisely because of Roseman's presence there. Roseman isn't the general manager they should tie their wagon to."

"The rumblings about Roseman lacking nuance and foresight, about him turning people off with how drunk with power he's become, only grow louder as his coaching search grows stranger."

By the way, Im not one who constantly rips the media about everything or any of that stuff but its absolutely hilarious to me how in one breath these reporters on twitter are telling people to calm down about 1 game and how it relates to coordinators (i.e. McCoys offense shitting the bed late in the Denver game or Bradleys defense giving up 30 in a loss to the Falcons) and then in the next breath say theres no way you can hire Brian Billick because he accidentally called the Falcons the Seahawks after the game yesterday while he was broadcasting it....

too funny

problem with Billick would mean you need an elite OC and DC

he seems like a good head coach in terms of motivating and calling a game, but he didn't exactly bring anything to Baltimore outside that.

he was supposed to help the offense but it was average/below average every year

the defense was Marvin Lewis'

the media would be fantastic though, unbelievable, please happen

Youre gonna need an elite OC if you hire Bradley...

Youre gonna need an elite DC if you hire McCoy....

Dont see that as much of an issue

Well I mean its an issue obviously in finding one, but I dont think its an issue exclusive to Billick (or anyone else for that matter)

he was supposed to help the offense but it was average/below average every year

the defense was Marvin Lewis'

the media would be fantastic though, unbelievable, please happen
I think Marvin is overcredited for the Ravens defense. His defenses in Cincy were shit until Zimmer got here outside the one year they got 50 some turnovers in 05. they upgraded their DL talent and suddenly had a good D again. Its about stockpiling talent in the NFL, and that Ravens club had two of the best ever at their position on it.

This whole 'well he won with so and so's team' or 'well the only reason he was any good was because of ...' is so dumb and can be done with anyone

Bradley? Its not his defense, Pete Carroll is the mastermind there.

McCoy? Its not his offense, Peyton Manning runs that.

Gruden? It wasnt his team he won the Super Bowl with, it was Tony Dungys.

By the way on Gruden...if it was Dungys team he won with then WHY THE FUCK COULDNT DUNGY WIN THE SUPER BOWL WITH HIS OWN GODDAMN TEAM!?!?!

Yeah, you can really talk yourself into and out of Jon Gruden with that logic, Smoke. Jon Gruden coached Tony Dungy's team to a Super Bowl victory over Bill Callahan, who was presumably coaching Jon Gruden's team.

Thought this was a good read on Gruden

Eagles Wake-Up Call: The Jon Gruden Argument

Posted by Sheil Kapadia on January 14, 2013

Jeffrey Lurie’s statement made it clear.

“There is no certain formula here,” he said, when asked if the Eagles were open to hiring a college coach. “Everything is on the table. There are some outstanding college coaches out there and some outstanding coordinators out there. There are outstanding coaches that used to coach in the National Football League out there. [We’ll leave] no stone unturned, and we’re open to it all.”

As of this morning, it’s been two weeks since the Eagles fired Andy Reid and Lurie made those comments. He has stayed true to his words (for the most part). He’s looked at college coaches (Chip Kelly, Bill O’Brien, Brian Kelly). He’s looked at coordinators (Gus Bradley, Mike McCoy, Jay Gruden). And he’s looked at previous head coaches (Brian Billick, Lovie Smith, Mike Nolan).

With every new day, it seems like a new name surfaces. But through it all, one has been missing: Jon Gruden.

This is not about finding someone fiery or appeasing the sports-talk calling masses. It’s about leaving no stone unturned, as Lurie put it. So let’s review the key points and questions on both sides of the Gruden argument, one-by-one:

Is Gruden’s resume really that impressive?

Everyone discusses the Tampa years, but Gruden’s first shot as a head coach came in Oakland. He inherited a team that had gone 11-21 the previous two seasons. Gruden had a pair of 8-8 years and then turned the Raiders into a playoff team. They went 12-4 and 10-6 in 2000 and 2001, making the playoffs both years. In the 11 seasons since Gruden left, the Raiders have had a winning record once. That was in 2002, the year after he departed.

And then there’s Tampa. An overall 57-55 record with the Bucs is not all that impressive. It’s true that Gruden inherited a team that had made the playoffs the previous three seasons. But Tampa had also experienced first-round exits in back-to-back years. In 2002, with Gruden, they won the Super Bowl. He had a lot of Tony Dungy’s players, but as this article explains, there were some changes made to the roster that year. Gruden’s Tampa teams finished with a winning record in four of seven seasons and made the postseason three times.

What went wrong during the end of his tenure there?

If I’m an owner, this is one of the first questions I pose to Gruden, and also one that I do a lot of my own homework on. After the Super Bowl season, Gruden’s teams missed out on the postseason in four of six years. During his final season in Tampa, the Bucs closed out the season on a four-game losing streak and finished 9-7 after starting out 9-3.

Things got ugly. Simeon Rice called Gruden a “scumbag.” Wide receiver Michael Clayton called him a turncoat. Assistant coaches had some not-so-nice things to say about Gruden and his ego. And so, he was shown the door.

Gruden never developed a young quarterback

This is true to a point. Then again, unless I missed something, the guys he was working with didn’t exactly go on to bigger and better things – like Pro Bowls and Super Bowls – when Gruden was out of the picture. I mean, we’re talking about Brian Griese, Chris Simms and Bruce Gradkowski here.

On the other hand, Gruden helped Rich Gannon (95.5 QB rating in 2001 at the age of 36), Brad Johnson (22 TDs, 6 INTs at the age of 34 during the Super Bowl year) and Jeff Garcia (92.2 QB rating in 2007-2008 at the age of 37) to some very productive years.

What about his personnel decisions?

This is an important one. How much control are you willing to give Gruden, given his track record? How much say would he demand? Those are questions a team like the Eagles would have to ask itself. It’s true that Gruden wasn’t responsible for building Tampa’s Super Bowl team. But the Bucs had just one pick in the first two rounds in Gruden’s first two seasons there. In other words, building his own core for the long-term was challenging.

Does Gruden want to coach? Why aren’t the Eagles talking to him?

On the final day of the regular season, reports surfaced that Gruden and the Eagles could be a realistic match, but nothing ever materialized (publicly, anyway). Ron Jaworski, a friend of Gruden’s, indicated last week that Gruden could be interested in the Eagles, but the team hasn’t reached out to him. Mike Mayock and Dick Vermeil, two well-connected members of the NFL community, recently called for the Eagles to go after Gruden too.

No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with one team and gone on to hoist the Lombardi Trophy with a second team. But that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Gruden’s only 49, and there’s at least a chance that he learned from his previous experiences and comes back improved. Ray Didinger explained this theory well on Daily News Live last week.

“He’s had the advantage of being out of it a little bit, but not too long,” Didinger said. “Four years is a good time to kind of catch your breath, re-charge, and when you’re around the game the way Jon’s around the game now as a broadcaster… he’s spent four years now traveling around the league, broadcasting games, spending time with every coaching staff, looking at tape, picking people’s brains. I’ve seen guys do this before. They get out of the game, are away from it a little bit, but continue to learn. And when they come back and get an opportunity to be a head coach again, they come back a better version of what they were. And I think Jon’s a smart enough guy that if he gets that opportunity, I think he’ll do that. …Whoever gets him next, I think, is going to get a very good coach.”

So, are the Eagles interested? There’s been little indication lately that they are. But remember, Lurie and company can be secretive when they choose to be. Admitting interest in Gruden and then hiring someone else would be a public-relations disaster. We didn’t find out about the O’Brien interview until after he already decided to stay at Penn State. We didn’t find out about Billick until several days after they met with him. And just recently, a report surfaced that they made a call or two about Bill Cowher.

If the Eagles looked into the Gruden possibility and decided against it, that’s OK. Maybe there are issues from when Gruden was the Eagles offensive coordinator back in the 90s. Maybe he’s making unreasonable contract demands. Maybe he wants full personnel control. Or maybe the story of how things fell apart in Tampa is even worse than we know. After all, it hasn’t been just the Eagles. No team has expressed interest publicly in Gruden this offseason. If Lurie and Howie Roseman did their homework and decided Gruden would be a bad fit, that’s fine.

But there’s always the possibility of another surprise candidate, especially if Lurie’s not smitten with any of his current remaining options.

Considering his comments at the beginning of the search and the nature of the process, Lurie would be making a mistake if he didn’t at least look into Gruden as an option somewhere along the line.

I just get the feeling that both Gruden and Cowher are waiting for very specific HC job openings, no idea which ones. I think they'll both coach again since they're both relatively young. But those TV gigs are easy money. Doesn't seem like either one wants to tackle a job with a team coming off multiple losing seasons.

Back