Bowl Thread 2008-2009.. Big play on SGU

pretty short on time this morning.. More time later today and be around tonight..

11-7 so far up 9 units minus some vig. 3-0 yesterday, hope that is a good sign of things to come.

Nev ML -135; 3 units

Waited long enough to get a bad number. Decided the ML as my route. Would endorse the -2 or 2-5.

Nevada, like NW is much more amped to play this game so there is a situational aspect to my selection.. However mostly think Nevada's 510 ypg offense will have its way vs a defense that has mostly struggled. Add to that, the defensive coordinator is gone along with the special teams coach and its hard to find any reason to back Maryland.

Maryland scores 20 ppg, including 6 times in which they scored less than 17 and although I think they get more that that here, they certainly can't keep up.. Nevada has never won on the Blue turf and this looks to be their best shot.

The public is on Maryland but many respected cappers on here are on Nevada (Tim H, VK, just listing a couple)... That is usually a good sign.

Maryland lost 3 of their last 4 and looked bad doing it esp v. FSU

Try to get my nightime stuff up late in the afternoon.

Glad to see you on it as well my friend. Setting up for a rather big play for me. Also on the Rice over @ 71 for a chunk of change....and pondering the late game...loved Okie...but the line movement confuses me a tad...think Oregon is good...but just love everything about Okie.

Nice day yesterday. I don't love anything today, but gaining momentum on the Ducks later. From a motivational standpoint, Nevada is definitely worth of a look considering Maryland did everything in its power to try and avoid playing in this bowl, while Nevada was happy it fell into their laps when Boise decided to go play TCU. However, Nevada's pass defense is so bad and their best win was probably against Louisiana Tech in the last game of the season. I know Maryland didn't sell many tickets to this game (I ready about 1,000, but not sure if the article was outdated), but just think Maryland is the better team and wins if they show up to play. If Maryland treats this like the Virginia game then Nevada wins going away. Anybody's guess I suppose.

Nice day yesterday. I don't love anything today, but gaining momentum on the Ducks later. From a motivational standpoint, Nevada is definitely worth of a look considering Maryland did everything in its power to try and avoid playing in this bowl, while Nevada was happy it fell into their laps when Boise decided to go play TCU. However, Nevada's pass defense is so bad and their best win was probably against Louisiana Tech in the last game of the season. I know Maryland didn't sell many tickets to this game (I ready about 1,000, but not sure if the article was outdated), but just think Maryland is the better team and wins if they show up to play. If Maryland treats this like the Virginia game then Nevada wins going away. Anybody's guess I suppose.

Nevada's defense is bad but that usually is the case with these mid major programs with dominant offenses.. Nevada definately will score a lot IMO

======

we are part of the NEW TEE BOWL 2008 ASIAN Fanclub-- Tee is becoming a bigger hit in Asia than Dance Revolution.

good lcuk DUB, unfortunately i cannot watch the nevada game due to my brother getting tickets to the world junior hockey championship game germany vs czechs-

unbelievable i will be watching a world junior match instead of a bowl game, but oh well those are the breaks of life.

Dub there is some MMA in Japan i think tomorrow night- should be some easy winners.

Also what does Tee DUB mean? I thought it was something to do with turtles? Now i found out it may have something to do with bees? or a old beat up camaro?

Also what does Tee DUB mean?

Tee*dub is a literal translation from a dilect first established in a small village in Kazakhastan meaning "big swinging dick"

borat_cannes_2.jpg

fucking hilarious!!!

:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:
:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:
:36_11_6::36_11_6:
:36_11_6:

so much for maryland not being motivated, which was my main angle. another pussy ass qb...just like yesterday huh Tee?

on oklahoma state first half because of the billy walters bullshit around--

think oregon is very overrated--

believe only 50% of what you see and you will see oregons win over oregon state was a fluke win

state looking good early-- oregon d is not good all year long

thats the beauty of bowl season, the layoff affects perception, i heard before the game that oregon has thebetter d and a fast d lol--

love the net- its great to find the easy winner on games

okie liet td-- yes this looks about right, think this billy walters guy actually bet okie lite if anything, doubt it he would bet oregon in this match

holiday bowl is very high scoring every year---

tee u on radar 2nd half over maybe my friend, but it wont be cheap at least 38

Finalizing some plays for tommorow now:

Add:

Houston -3, -120; 4 units (may add)

Not going to have time to write all my notes up on this one. Quickly:

Backed Houston vs Rice and though they got down early in that one they kept battling and racked up over 600 yards v. a Rice team that at this writing is looking pretty damn solid in their Bowl game v. WMU.. I really like Houston and how they have matured through the year..

Air force nipped Hous in a bizarre contest early in the year that was played at SMU in front of about twelve people due to hurricane rescheduling.. In that game AF got up early but narrowly won even though being outgained and outplayed by a large margin.. AF did not complete a pass in that game.. Be careful looking too closely at that as the conditions were hideous-- but Houston found a way to rack up yards in the conditions. Af, not so much. Here are the stats from that game.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>Team Stat Comparison</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD align=left></TD><TD>
2005.gif
</TD><TD>
248.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>29</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>380</TD><TD>534</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>362</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>380</TD><TD>172</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>10-73</TD><TD>10-87</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>3rd Down Conversions</TD><TD>12-20</TD><TD>9-17</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>4th Down Conversions</TD><TD>1-1</TD><TD>1-2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>33:09</TD><TD>26:51</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lastly, Houston has not won a Bowl game since the Civil War and has a bunch of Seniors really motivated to get it done.. Af on the otherhand is young, actually very young and they are not prepared to see the offense that is coming their way IMO.. Both will be motivated, don't get me wrong, but I really like a REALLY motivated group of talented seniors vs the youngsters of AF.. And in-season revenge is always the side I look at first. Esp. if the more talented team is in revenge mode which is what we have IMO

Holler if questions as I have a lot of notes on this game and have followed Houston pretty closely for a few weeks..

Last edited:
Finalizing some plays for tommorow now:

Add:

Houston -3, -120; 4 units (may add)

Not going to have time to write all my notes up on this one. Quickly:

Backed Houston vs Rice and though they got down early in that one they kept battling and racked up over 600 yards v. a Rice team that at this writing is looking pretty damn solid in their Bowl game v. WMU.. I really like Houston and how they have matured through the year..

Air force nipped Hous in a bizarre contest early in the year that was played at this exact site in front of about twelve people due to hurricane rescheduling.. In that game AF got up early but narrowly won even though being outgained and outplayed by a large margin.. AF did not complete a pass in that game.. Be careful looking too closely at that as the conditions were hideous-- but Houston found a way to rack up yards in the conditions. Af, not so much. Here are the stats from that game.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>Team Stat Comparison</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD align=left></TD><TD>
2005.gif
</TD><TD>
248.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>29</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>380</TD><TD>534</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>362</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>380</TD><TD>172</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>10-73</TD><TD>10-87</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>3rd Down Conversions</TD><TD>12-20</TD><TD>9-17</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>4th Down Conversions</TD><TD>1-1</TD><TD>1-2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=middle><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>33:09</TD><TD>26:51</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lastly, Houston has not won a Bowl game since the Civil War and has a bunch of Seniors really motivated to get it done.. Af on the otherhand is young, actually very young and they are not prepared to see the offense that is coming their way IMO.. Both will be motivated, don't get me wrong, but I really like a REALLY motivated group of talented seniors vs the youngsters of AF.. And in-season revenge is always the side I look at first. Esp. if the more talented team is in revenge mode which is what we have IMO

Holler if questions as I have a lot of notes on this game and have followed Houston pretty closely for a few weeks..
we finally agree on one :cheers:

Nothing on the 2H guys.. Everything is pretty tight IMO.. Lean the teams behind and Ore TT over but all three are gambling.. Take a look at Houston.. Probably the best other than SGU that I have offer so far... Just my opinion..

I see SGU is back to 3.5 from 4... That is interesting... Those waiting may want to grab it with the hook now as I think it goes back to 4 or 4.5 by gametime..

IMHO

Posted this in Jumps thread about questions/rumors regarding Shonn Greene's elig.. Ferentz addressed this a couple weeks ago.. Bottom line is-- he is playing, is in Tampa practicing and if something were up, we would have heard several days if not more than a week ago..

Still about shit my pants when I saw the title to Jump's thread. LOL

Kirk Ferentz addressed the topic head on Sunday evening, the Shonn Greene-isn’t-going-to-classes topic.
A couple years ago, the NCAA enacted a rule that said players need to retain eligibility and/or good academic standing coming out of first semester to be eligible for the bowl game.
“I heard a rumor the other day that one of our notable players wasn’t going to class,” Ferentz said, referring to Greene. “If he’s not, then our academic support folks are really off base. We had an academic meeting the Monday before Thanksgiving and got some great reports there. So, that one might go into the category that he (Greene) was up to 280 (pounds) or 300 at one point. I think both of those are in the same box.”
Remember when Greene was working his way back from a year away from Iowa because of academics, there were rumors in the spring that he came in weighing a lot. He did, but the 251 (I think that was it) was a far cry from 280.
I asked Greene if he had given his future any more thought during the time off. (The team just started with bowl practices after taking Thanksgiving week off.) He said the topic has died down a little bit.
“We’ve got finals coming up with school, so a little but not too much,” he said. “I’m still undecided.”
<!--adcode-->

Interesting article

December 30, 2008

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]S.C.: More to Iowa offense than Greene[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
Andy Hamilton
Iowa City Press-Citizen
[/FONT]Someone suggested to South Carolina defensive lineman Nathan Pepper Monday that if the Gamecocks stopped running back Shonn Greene, they'd stop Iowa's offense.
He wasn't buying it.
"We've seen lot of film on them, and it's not just Shonn Greene," Pepper said. "They've got back-ups who run exactly like he runs, he's just the head guy. I think they've got a lot of good things. They've got some good receivers, they've got a nice quarterback, it's not just him."
• MATCHING MITCH: South Carolina center Garrett Anderson will draw the chore of going head-to-head against Big Ten defensive lineman of the year Mitch King on Thursday.
"He's a very physical player," Anderson said. "He plays every down, and he's a very physical, hard-nosed player. He goes hard every down. I've just got to try to match his intensity, which is really high."

Interesting article

December 30, 2008

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]S.C.: More to Iowa offense than Greene[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Andy Hamilton[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Iowa City Press-Citizen[/FONT]Someone suggested to South Carolina defensive lineman Nathan Pepper Monday that if the Gamecocks stopped running back Shonn Greene, they'd stop Iowa's offense.
He wasn't buying it.
"We've seen lot of film on them, and it's not just Shonn Greene," Pepper said. "They've got back-ups who run exactly like he runs, he's just the head guy. I think they've got a lot of good things. They've got some good receivers, they've got a nice quarterback, it's not just him."
• MATCHING MITCH: South Carolina center Garrett Anderson will draw the chore of going head-to-head against Big Ten defensive lineman of the year Mitch King on Thursday.
"He's a very physical player," Anderson said. "He plays every down, and he's a very physical, hard-nosed player. He goes hard every down. I've just got to try to match his intensity, which is really high."[/quote]

That quote tells me alot about the mentality of the anchor of the offensive line....in front of a Smelley (pun intended) quarterback.

Back