2018 NHL Playoffs Discussion

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Looks to be some fun match-ups.

Three games Wednesday and five on Thursday to get it started.

Any series bets worth looking into or futures?

I think Flyers and NJ paying back large is worth a stab. Can't see Boston losing 1st round. Like to see Vegas move on and anything can happen with the Wild, so I'll have a little change on them as well for series.

Kinda like the Kings, but will be pulling for my boy Fleury. Pens should not lose to Flyers but never say never. Also like the Caps at a lower price than normal.

Agree on LA. Vegas was a great story this year but second half of the season they were nothing compared to how they started off. Can they make playoff adjustments as a group? I have LA in a small series parlay but hoping they lose game one so I can get a better price on them to make a single series play.

Boston concerns me as a skeptical fan but they have been playing some good team hockey down the stretch. Biggest concern is they tend to give up first goal of the game & I believe Toronto has the best record in the NHL when scoring first.

Fun little bet I made on all game ones, 3-way moneyline on 1st period, each game to be tied. The average payout per game is +162.

History says to play unders. There are two totals set at 6 which is a playoff first since 2013. I typically take unders on all game ones but the average scoring is up this year, concerned it could carry over with all the familiarity in the match-ups.

Teams that were in the playoffs last year have good numbers against teams that weren’t Inn round 1 and Game 1.

Not to derail the thread but would like to take this moment to indicate I have gone on record by stating the playoff pairing in the NHL fucking blows! B's finish second in the east & as a congrats they play Toronto. Just fucking go back to 1-8 in the east & 1-8 in the west. That is all.

Not to derail the thread but would like to take this moment to indicate I have gone on record by stating the playoff pairing in the NHL fucking blows! B's finish second in the east & as a congrats they play Toronto. Just fucking go back to 1-8 in the east & 1-8 in the west. That is all.

Same with the jets! Now if the favs win first round, top 2 teams of each conference will be playing each other in their conference semi finals. Stupid

Its a day late but i was really into the kings, however after i looked a bit deeper i think they are going to have problems, too many injuries on d, basically missing their 2nd pair

Doughty can stay solid for 30 minutes, he played 22 mins 5on5 last night and vegas didnt have one dangerous chance, but i think the rest of the time they are in trouble, didnt show too much last night but if this goes long i think vegas' depth may wear them down, kopitar and Carter need monster series fof LA to go Through

I dont think vegas would get past SJ or ANA though, their regular season home advantage is a bit lower in the playoffs for obvious reasons

Preds beat avs in 5 i think, the avalanche are a greag story and mackinnon has been great, but they don't have a ton of depth and the preds can match them with either ofntheir top 2 d pairs, although likely josi and ellis, so PK can take advantage offensively in other matchups

The EJ and varly injuries really hurt the avs too, bernier isnt a starter at this point, and without johnson the avs really only have 1 d man who is a top 4 guy in Barrie, and hes more offensive than anything, so the preds depth will wear them down

Minny looked better than i thought they would last night, no suter is a huge loss. Minny has a great top 2 lines, and if they are going to win its going to be because of dubnyk being a huge difference

But the jets are just too deep, their forwards are incredible, the 2nd line with stastny, laine, and ehlers is a top line, no way around it. The fact they can throw that line or the scheifele line for 40 minutes a game is too much for a team like minny. Jets in 6

Ducks and sharks is the most even west series. Both arent as good as in the past, and now are basically relying on their top heavy rosters. The tops of the rosters are great though

Pavelsli and couture give a great 1/2 punch at center for sj, and evander kane was a great pickup at the deadline, they really could use jumbo back and all ive seen is hes out of game 1 at least. On d they can roll two solid pairings, burns being more offensive and vlasics being a shutdown

Their depth after that is not strong, they are physical and they wont get blown out, but they likely dont contribute a lot

Anaheim is super dependent on getzlaf and his line now, kesler had surgery last summer, missed most of the year and is still missing something, he does have a history of playoff monster performances though, so its possible. On d they are in a similar position to LA, lindholm will play 25+ minutes and those will be solid, but after that its a bit of a gong show

This series is won in one of 2 ways i think, anaheim has a goaltending advantage with gibson, so if he has a monster series he can steal a few games. For SJ their power play is elite, so if it gets nasty and there are a ton of penalties being called they have a huge advantage there. This is really close, id be surprised if it doesnt go at least 6

Jackets vs caps is an underrated great series. The jackets have been a top 3 team in the league the last few months, they finally have a legitimate offensive star with the bread man, the vanek trade turned their 2nd line into a monster, and on d seth jones and werenski are young but super talented, the 4 guys behind them are solid, best comparative i csn give is like a good middle reliver, they will eat up minutes and wont lose the game. Based on play lately the jackets hsve the goaltending advantage as well, but holtby has a history of good play in the playoffs so i think itd a toss up

Caps everyone knows about, the choking, not showing up im round 2 multiple times. I do really like their team this year though, flying under the radar a bit is best for them. But this relies on ovechkin and backstrom and Carlson coming up big, also jn whats a bit kf a theme now, the caps special teams are a huuuuuuuuuuge advantage. Jackets are bottom 7 in the league in both. But 5 on 5 they are much better than washington

Toss up imo, and the odds are closer than i thought so i dont know if i can take Columbus for the series, but i can definitely see them winning

Not much to add on pens/flyers that didnt happen last night, the flyers rely on giroux, coutourier and voracek a ton for scoring, with ghost bear and provorov on d, after that not a huge amount there. Simmonds and konecny chip in but arent top line players.

Pens are a better version of that, top heavy but their top guys turn the talent around them into legit players. Sid, geno, and phil the thrill have been phenomenal this season, they showed it last night. I dont think this series goes past 5

Also in net, how could i forget, elliot is trash, and he gets worse in the playoffs, trashy trashy smelly trash

Devils are a great story, taylor hall has been incredible at dragging this team here, but after him they have a lot of guys who are probly 2 years away frlm being playoff contributers, i said above the flyers lacked elite scoring after their top 3 guys, new jersey has no one after hall. Nico is 2nd in scoring on the devils, the lightning are just too much here

They have a top 6 that csn match anyone, their 3rd line is excellent, and on D they dont really have any weaknesses. Hedman is a top 3 d man, girardi, mcdonough, and stralman can all play vs a teams top line too

Just too much for NJ here

Leafs vs bruins is crazy that its a round 1 series, these are both top 6 teams

But it should be incredible, both are top 5 in 5 om 5 play, top 4 in the power play, and top 7 in pk. No huge advantage in any area, and even in net they are basicslly even this year

The matthews line vs the bergeron line might be the best matchup im round 1, and i think its probably where the series is won. Toronto has better scoring down their roster than boston, after their top 6. The leafs 3rd line has jvr who put up 36 goals this year, the 2nd line has kadri who out up 32, and marleau was right behind at 27, whicn doesnt mention marner who for the lsst 20 games has been their best player, and probably a top 10 plsyer league wide

The bergeron line may be the best in the league all around, i think it is, and krejci's will do well, but after that the backes/heinen pairing with im guessing gionta over time will get beat by the bozak line, or the speed of the 4th lime with kapanen (he was great last year vs the caps) and the grinding of uncle leo and pleks.

On d i lean bostom, mcavoy is turning into a star and chara has lost a step, doesnt play much pp anymore, they save his minutes for pk and 5on5. Krug, miller, grz, and mcquaid are a solid 2nd and 3rd pairing.

Toronto has reilly who is a stud, and after that its a bit scary, gardiner can make great plays but also big errors, hainsey is a stay at home guy for reilly but hes slow and is probably better suited for a 3rd pairing role, not top. Zaitsev has been a disaster this year, hes had injuries and he should be healthy now so he could have a fresh start and regain last years form, dermott has been good but hes a rookie with less than half a season in the nhl, polak is a disaster, and worryingly for leafs fans hes a disaster that babcock for whatever reason trusts

Best series on paper, these guys hate each other, cant wait for the it was 4-1 chants by bruins fans, should be great

To sort of sum above, it comes down to a few factors

Bergeron line has to outplay matthews, by a fair margin id say
If matthews can play it even or at least not get boatraced the leafs depth in their middle 6 should be enough to win, but if bergeron crushes mattnews or someone like nash has a monster series and marner and marleau and kadri or jvr struggle....

Complete toss up, i will be on leafs away win chase, i do like their chances tonight so hoping i dont need to worry about saturday, probly do same with bruins starting game 3

Be really shocked if we don't see a game 6 here at least, would love some 7th heaven

That was my thoughts. Although I could see the other two going to 7, at least 6, Marchand hasn't been shit hot of late & expect the Leafs to be all over him. Ov has only gone over 6 points in two playoff series in the past 8 years. I don't see that happening against Bob.

If ov goes over thats at least 3-4 pp points imo

If he does that then hats off to him, but i think value is on him not, even if caps win since jackets arent going to run and gun, so hes gonna be so reliant on the man advantage

Marchand, i think hes gonna be too busy trying to harrass nylander than anything

Fyi teed is really spot on.... may be a few things I'd slight give more credit or take away credit for (if that makes sense), but its negligible and not far off at all....

And its eerire some of the comments for the matchups you mentioned that I was literally saying to others before playoffs started

Past scores don't indicate future outcomes but after seeing that ass-whooping the Pens put on the Flyers how can anyone think Flyers have a chance in hell? If they are going to win one it seems that it would happen in game three. I hate laying north of 200 but this looks like a time to do so. I already took -1.5 at +140 but moneyline seems viable in case they score near the end with a pulled goalie in a 2 goal game.

I think caps win at least 1 if not 2 in cbus

Those 2 games were toss ups

Leafs looked good tonight, still think that goes long

Not worried about tampa, if line is low enough ill be on them g4 and think they wrap it up at home

Same with pitt in philly

Anaheim has looked bad, very surprised thought it was an even matchup. Ducks top guys just havent been showing up, this probly finishes in 4 unless they can come back tonight

Vegas has surprised me, flower has been unreal which helps, i don't know if its a fitness thing, but late in games, especially that OT one, they are skating circles around the kings, kings are back to playing like they did under sutter, too scared to attack. Might just chase a vegas win

Nashville and the jets in similar situations, two best teams im west, got it done at home, jets already lost g3, avs look like they will win as mackinnon is playing great tonight. Not much to say other than i cant wait for this matchup

O/U for 1st round through games 2/3 - 13-5-5, i think this is right i did it fast

East (O/U) - 8-0-3
BOS/TOR - 2-0-1 (Push 6: 5-1, O5.5: 3-7, O5.5: 4-2)
WAS/CLB - 2-0 (O5.5: 3-4 OT, O5.5: 4-5 OT)
TB/NJ - 3-0 (O6: 5-2, O6: 5-3, O6: 2-5)
PIT/PHI - 1-0-2 (O6: 7-0, Push 6: 1-5, Push 6: 5-1)

West (O/U) - 5-5-2
LV/LA - 0-2-1 (U5: 1-0, U5: 2-1 OT, Push 5:2-3)
ANA/SJ - 1-1-1 (U5: 0-3, Push 5: 2-3, O5: 8-1)
WIN/MIN - 1-2 (U5.5: 3-2, U5.5: 4-1, O5.5:2-6)
NSH/COL - 3-0 (O5.5: 5-2, O5.5: 5-4. O5.5: 3-5)

Should kinda be expected but the line hasn't changed number since game 1 except with BOS/TOR but was -130 for game 3.

games at 6: PIT/PHI, TB/NJ
games at 5.5: WIN/MIN, NSH/COL, WAS/CLB, BOS/TOR
games at 5: LV/LA, ANA/SJ

O/U
games at 6: 4-0-3
games at 5.5: 8-2
games at 5: 1-3-2

Last edited:
That's some crazy shit with all those overs.

I will definitely be riding/chasing SJ & LV til they close. Unfortunately SJ is -175 for tomorrow so that could be an expensive ride if Anaheim shows up for a couple games.

Those overs certainly corrected themselves, probably cause I played three overs last night.

Won both games that completed the sweep fully ready to chase as long as I had to. Now the question is; is it worth deploying that strategy on the 3-1 series? All games have the fave at home up next, the downside is they are all going to be north of -200. Can anyone make an argument for any of the teams up 3-1 losing the series? Frankly I don't envision any game 6's in those.

Leafs blew a golden fucking chance last night, no bergeron and theh got burned hard by two horrible mistakes, the worst by gardiner, leading to 2 on 1s

They arent creating enough at all, they get kadri back tomorrow, i Think they need to move the lines around, id think about putting matthews with marner and marleau, nylander isnt giving him any help

Caps and BJs has been great, jackets getting crushed on the pk, caps have 7 pp goals in 4 games which is insane. Stay out of the box and they are winning

Their crowd is rough too, lots of nervous energy when caps went up 2-0 didnt help

Jets and pens should both end it tonight but tough to find value with those huge lines, same with bolts tomorrow

Leafs did blow it last night. B's were outplayed almost the entire game. After Leafs tied it up there was a huge momentum shift. Rask kept them in that game. I think B's end it tomorrow.

No value in any of the faves but I don't see any scenario where any of them lose the series so I'll ride them.

Never understood NHL playoff scheduling, I know it's hard to book arenas but 3 games today and 2 are at 3pm. Why can't they stack them like NBA today.

Yeah no shit huh? They were all in the Eastern time zone too. How about 2:00, 5:00 & 8:00? Rediculous.

Never understood NHL playoff scheduling, I know it's hard to book arenas but 3 games today and 2 are at 3pm. Why can't they stack them like NBA today.

Its fucking insane

Id settle for like 30 minute staggered starts

Even on weekdays they have been doing like two at 7pm, one at 8pm, one at 10

Just do 730 for one, let people watch the end of every game ffs

I think leafs force g7, flyers too but they are alreasy up 1-0

Would love if avs did but they really rode a hot hamburgler yesterday

Jackets need a quick start if they want to win, their crowd gets nervous, but if they can score within first 10 or at least control play and not go down, caps doubts will start to creep in. Stay out of the fucking box too

Caps crushing them on special teams

As a Bruins fan I'm worried. I've bet/chased all teams who have been up 3-0 or 3-1, except Jets cause that would've been profitable, but think I'm cutting my losses on Boston. Don't like what I saw last night.

I think bergerons injury is bad, just on how he played yesterday

Which is just the worst timing to lose or have injured maybe the best 2 way center of the last 20? Years. Hee underrated

I think leafs at home get it done, then g7 id lean Bs just because they can hard match chara and mac on matthews

But its really a toss up, these is a comference finals level matchup, either team could win the cup, so could tampa too whom the winner plays

Marchand needs to cool it a bit tomorrow too

A lot of the stuff he git away with yesterday got media coverage up here, wouldnt surprise me if he gets an early minor

Marchand's an idiot. I say this as a B's fan so if he played for anyone else I would think he was a complete asshole. He's had a great year though.

Yep, i totally get it

Him, burrows, tikkanen, gallagher etc.

All guys only a fan could love

The thing with marchand is he made the leap 2 years ago from pest with some scoring touch to legitimate first line top 20 winger, if he just cut out the dirty shit, he can still be a pest but would actually get some respect

Didnt see much of caps bjs but it looks like Ovie took over a bit

Excited for them vs pens, the outcomes have been 1 sided but the series have always been great

Leafs/bruins was even in the 1st, bruins dominated 2nd but couldnt score then marner got one, way against the run of play, in the 3rd the leafs really shut them down

Game 7 is a complete toss up imo, id favor bruins, but so far the leafs have been +150-165 in Boston and if its that again they have value

It was like Bruins were shooting against a brick wall. It felt unfair at times because they were peppering him with shots, some would get blocked, some would go wide & those that made it through were stopped by Andersen. Guy has been un-fucking real in the past two games. Bruins did make some shitty passes & Marchand did not look good. He held on to the puck too long in instances trying to get cute instead of shooting & his mishandle lead to the Marner goal.

Said I wasn't going to chase yesterday, of course I did. So now I'm -$226 on the B's starting with game 5. This is pretty sizable for me so I'm really torn on what to do for game 7. I either say fuck it & risk over $400 on what I think will be about a -175 line just to win back my losses hoping the B's don't drop three in a row. I go the other way betting against the system & my beloved team & risk much less to break even. Or I sit back & watch knowing there will be other opportunities in the playoffs to win that money back. I will just be pissed if I miss out & the B's win knowing I gave up on the system. Fuck I hate gambling!

Thursday, April 26

• The start time of Game 1 of the Second Round series between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals has been set for 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 26, in Washington. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on CBC, Sportsnet and TVA Sports.

• The start time of Game 1 of the Second Round series between the San Jose Sharks and Vegas Golden Knights has been set for 10 p.m. ET on Thursday, April 26, in Las Vegas. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on CBC, Sportsnet and TVA Sports.

Friday, April 27

• The start time of Game 1 of the Second Round series between the Winnipeg Jets and Nashville Predators has been set for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, April 27, in Nashville. The game will be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game will be on CBC, SN360 and TVA Sports.

Saturday, April 28

• If Boston advances, the start time of Game 1 of the Second Round series between the Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning would be set for 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 28, in Tampa. The game would be televised on NBC in the U.S. In Canada, the game would be on Sportsnet and TVA Sports.

• If Toronto advances, the start time of Game 1 of the Second Round series between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightning would be set for 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 28, in Tampa. The game would be televised on NBCSN in the U.S. In Canada, the game would be on CBC and TVA Sports.

I think the B’s pull it out but no value laying the number in what should be a close game. Good luck all

I think this will be the end of the run for my pens. See series value with caps +110. Hey, if I am wrong my team advances.

Hokey Smoke!!! 5-4 Maple Leafs end of 2nd with SOG's 13-6 Bruins in the period and 25-16 game. Bruins In Game +210 @ William-Hill Las Vegas

Back