Week 18 Discussion Thread

It will be very interesting to see what the NFL does with these two Saturday games and the impact on the lines. The Browns were eliminated today while the Steelers remain mathematically alive and the number has flipped 4.5 points.

If feels like the NFL threw ESPN a bone with those two Saturday games after giving them mostly trash Monday matchups; I have to believe ESPN is expecting the #2/#3 (in terms on meaning) games of the weekend. To me the 49ers/Rams would be the #2 game of the weekend falling behind the Chargers/Raiders, which, barring a Jags miracle win over the Colts, would be essentially the first playoff game as the loser is out and the winner moves on. The Saints/49ers are fighting for the final playoff spot - the 49ers are in a must win situation if the Saints win but are in if the Saints lose. The NFL likes to play those games at the same time. Though I could see the NFL giving ESPN the Rams/49ers early and the Saints/Falcons late. Another factor the NFC west is still not decided, a Rams loss and the Cardinals can claim the division, a Rams win and the Cardinals are locked into the #5 seed. The latter scenario renders the Cardinals/Seahawks game meaningless.

I think the schedule looks like this:

Saturday 4:30PM EDT - 49ers @ Rams
Saturday 8:15PM EDT - Saints @ Falcons

Sunday 1PM EDT:
Jets @ Bills
Patriots @ Dolphins
Panthers @ Bucs
Cowboys @ Eagles
Team @ Giants
Bears @ Vikings
Packers @ Lions
Bengals @ Browns
Steelers @ Ravens
Colts @ Jaguars

Sunday 4:25PM EDT:

Chiefs @ Broncos
Titans @ Texans
Seahawks @ Cardinals

Sunday 8:15PM EDT - Chargers @ Raiders

No I don't think that is locked at all. The Broncos and Cardinals were already slated for 4PM on the original schedule, I think they will push the Titans to that slot since the HFA/Bye is on the line between the Chiefs and Titans. Maybe Bengals/Browns goes there as well, since the Bengals could still get the #1 seed. I could maybe as many as 5 late afternoon games.

They decided they wanted Cowboys and Chiefs on Saturday.

Yeah, hmm, ESPN has to be thrilled. Eagles/Cowboys game is meaningless outside of seeding, both teams will play the next week and will probably rest some starters. They would need the Bucs to lose to the Panthers and the Rams to lose to the 49ers to move from the #4 seed. Not likely, so McCarthy might consider resting players a better alternative. Broncos/Chiefs probably not the most competitive game.

My mistake was thinking the NFL would give ESPN solid games.

Well, that was fun! Oh and I and nailed the Sunday night game - me and everyone who can spell NFL.

Early thoughts:

49ers +5.5 with Jimmy G; 49ers need to win to guarantee a playoff spot, I don't trust the Rams in a spot like this.
Dolphins +5.5; Buy low spot here, the Pats will be playing on wild card weekend, and though they have an outside shot at the division, it seems more likely they back off at some point in this game.
Chiefs -10, feels like a curb stomp and then root for the Texans
Cardinals -6, a mail-in spot for the Seahawks, uncle Kliffie will no doubt have the Cardinals believing the 49ers can and will beat the Rams
Falcons +4, feels like a 3-point game to me

Falcons and Saints games always wild.

Pats have an outside shot at 1 seed but that's not happening when looking at the other matchups.

I love the last week of the season. It‘s always key here to establish which of the non-playoff teams are playing and which ones have thrown in the towel. Certain coaches are definitely better or more committed to keeping their guys motivated than anothers.

Texans and Jets are still trying.

titans would apply to a must win game against the texans if you can lay the lumber

any reason not to fade giants and jags ? Giants had -19 total pass yards today.

Only concern I'd have about chiefs is broncos should of covered their first game and seemed like chargers game today was closer than the score.

49ers line seems really high- niners not a bad team and rams kinda overrated, plus they own the rams

titans would apply to a must win game against the texans if you can lay the lumber

Only concern I'd have about chiefs is broncos should of covered their first game and seemed like chargers game today was closer than the score.

49ers line seems really high- niners not a bad team and rams kinda overrated, plus they own the rams
I just worry about how much losing their top corner has hurt them. AJ Brown took over and then Cooks was strong today and got Houston‘s only touchdown.

Of course, the secondaries that Stafford faced recently were also poor and yet he struggled and made awful mistakes.

Of course, Tannehill has been bad and he still figured out how to get the ball to Brown. The Ram O obviously has way more firepower to offer than Houston. Kupp will get his lion’s share, too.

Not sure how much the 49er offense is equipped to counter. They will try to run a lot as always but the Ram run D is high-level

Washington was officially eliminated from playoff contention. So you have to wonder about the effort.

But otherwise it‘s a strong match-up. A run D that has often been very solid against a team that literally lacks an NFL quarterback. Seriously, look at Glennon‘s game logs in recent years and this one, how is this man in the NFL

Like many of the above, I think the Niners are a strong play here. Haven’t they beaten the Rams consistently the last five or so? I also like WFT over the Giants, solely because the Giants have given zero effort the last couple of games, their QB play is atrocious and Judge makes you wonder what Ben McAdoo is doing now.

Like many of the above, I think the Niners are a strong play here. Haven’t they beaten the Rams consistently the last five or so? I also like WFT over the Giants, solely because the Giants have given zero effort the last couple of games, their QB play is atrocious and Judge makes you wonder what Ben McAdoo is doing now.
9ers have beaten them last 5

I think if Trey Lance plays though , that could keep me off 49ers. Didn't watch yesterdays game, but guy had been trash all year. Not sure they can exploit rams like they can with Jimmy

I think if Trey Lance plays though , that could keep me off 49ers. Didn't watch yesterdays game, but guy had been trash all year. Not sure they can exploit rams like they can with Jimmy

Lance looked much better in second half. But the Rams have a horseshoe up their ass with all the turnovers they've had and winning. They are like the Michigan State of the nfl. Two weeks in a row with mulligans.

Tough to back a rookie qb in a huge game on the road. If Jimmy G plays he won't be 100%

This is quite big....I thought he was done for the entire season. Not just the regular season.

Derrick Henry's return to the Tennessee Titans could be imminent.

Henry could return as soon as next week's regular-season finale at Houston and has been working out on his own, according to the CBS broadcast of Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins.

Henry, the NFL's top running back, hasn't played since suffering a fracture in the right metatarsal of his right foot in an Oct. 31 win over the Indianapolis Colts. He had surgery the following day.

"I'm told he has been working out at the Titans facility," CBS sideline reporter Melanie Collins said on the broadcast. "He was out on the practice field this week, doing some running with no limitations. He could return as early as next week, which would allow him to knock some rust off. But if the Titans can lock up a playoff spot here, it would give them some extra time. And, guys, what a scary thought for opposing teams, a rested and healthy Derrick Henry for the playoffs."

Bears +2.5 at VIkings - gotta think Cousins won't play? If he does NOT, then i gotta believe no matter who the bears roll out at QB they will be better than Mond or Mannion - thoughts?

Bears +2.5 at VIkings - gotta think Cousins won't play? If he does NOT, then i gotta believe no matter who the bears roll out at QB they will be better than Mond or Mannion - thoughts?
Not gonna be Mond if you saw coaches presser today... was kinda shitty but eh? Not his pick...

This is quite big....I thought he was done for the entire season. Not just the regular season.

Derrick Henry's return to the Tennessee Titans could be imminent.

Henry could return as soon as next week's regular-season finale at Houston and has been working out on his own, according to the CBS broadcast of Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins.

Henry, the NFL's top running back, hasn't played since suffering a fracture in the right metatarsal of his right foot in an Oct. 31 win over the Indianapolis Colts. He had surgery the following day.

"I'm told he has been working out at the Titans facility," CBS sideline reporter Melanie Collins said on the broadcast. "He was out on the practice field this week, doing some running with no limitations. He could return as early as next week, which would allow him to knock some rust off. But if the Titans can lock up a playoff spot here, it would give them some extra time. And, guys, what a scary thought for opposing teams, a rested and healthy Derrick Henry for the playoffs."

Yeah, he's been expected to return.

I read (may have been a Clay tweet) that he has been full speed practice etc.

IMO, no reason to bring him back this week. Go win the game, get your bye and then he will be ultra-ready in 3 weeks.

Saw this yesterday, why do we need to know when celebs and athletes get picked up for DUI? I legitimately don't care, it happens all the time and until it means something (suspension) it really is trivial.

Not that DUI is trivial per se, but the headlines are. So he *might* get some conduct suspension for a couple games next year?

And don't remotely compare it to Ruggs, it's a DUI

Saw this yesterday, why do we need to know when celebs and athletes get picked up for DUI? I legitimately don't care, it happens all the time and until it means something (suspension) it really is trivial.

Not that DUI is trivial per se, but the headlines are. So he *might* get some conduct suspension for a couple games next year?

And don't remotely compare it to Ruggs, it's a DUI

Lol, what? Don't compare the DUI to the other guy's DUI because nobody died in this one? You need AB-type help, you're clearly off of your meds.

Line in Buffalo seems awfully large to me. Last game of the season we often see big effort from teams with "nothing to play for", especially in a division game. If Buff is up say 20ish going into the 4th, do they slowly pull starters? Fuck if I know but seems reasonable. Backdoor cover could be wide open there.

I think NE line is too heavy also in a spot where they always seem to step on their dicks.

FedEx Field also had an issue in Week 1 of this season where raw sewage was poured on fans.

Wait what?

Falcons and Saints games always wild.

Pats have an outside shot at 1 seed but that's not happening when looking at the other matchups.
There was an old time trend in the 90’s that was golden. I want to say there was a crazy streak of 17 consecutive games where the road team in the matchup won ats. I followed it for awhile before it lost a couple times. It was the most automatic trend I’ve ever seen.

Back