Thursday 03/06/14 NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL BASKETBALL - THU 3/6[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Thu 3/6[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]501[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Miami Heat[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+2.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 207 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]05:00 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]502[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-2.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 207 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Thu 3/6[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]503[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Oklahoma City Thunder[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-5.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 216 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]06:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]504[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Phoenix Suns[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+5.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 216 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Thu 3/6[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]505[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Los Angeles Clippers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-10.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 224 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]07:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]506[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Los Angeles Lakers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+10.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 224 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

2014 TNT Thurs. stats

Game 1
Favs 10-5 SU & 6-9 ATS
O/U 5-10 (current 5 game Under run)

Game 2
Favs 9-6 SU & 6-9 ATS (current 6 game Fav SU run)
O/U 6-9
Only 1 of 15 game 2s has totaled less than 194 pts (includes OT periods).

Last 5 Thursdays, all games
9-1 Under
7-3 Fav ATS

Last edited:
Lakers +10,5 remind me when they lost but cover the number vs OKC and MIA on thursday's. Lakers are bad but they have pride and give 100%. old guys like gasol, garnett, duncan,etc... still have kind of a killer instinct. Teams like PHI, ORL, MIL have no pride at all.

Still looking at the Suns game. See some pluses for the Suns but also some physical problems. Dragic is supposedly playing with a mild rib injury for example. Suns are starting to get production from Len and Randolph and are only playing on a poor day of the week unlike the horrific Tuesdays. The best thing they may have going is OKC's last game. Need to think more on the game.

Line movement a little uncertain in the Suns game but Pinnacle seems content with 6

Because teams need wins should in no way constitute a play on them, this is the biggest sucker theory

I see a disagreement with this statement, I have to agree with it. Wanting something and doing it are two different things and one thing is for sure because the majority of John Q public also thinks needing translates into winners will always over paid weather it be a Money line or point spread it will always be shaded to the team "that needs the game" and long term you will lose with that logic.

I see a disagreement with this statement, I have to agree with it. Wanting something and doing it are two different things and one thing is for sure because the majority of John Q public also thinks needing translates into winners will always over paid weather it be a Money line or point spread it will always be shaded to the team "that needs the game" and long term you will lose with that logic.
It depends on the kind of a team - some teams know how to get what they want, others just don't.
NBA is all about motivation. When the game means more to certain team, you know that they will give 100%, something that is not a given in this league.

Obviously it's one thing to trust mental cases like Pistons, to get a W when needed, it's other to trust a veteran and well coached team to do that...

Also, fading public isn't always a good idea. I know that my best trend, something like 75% success is betting on teams that need to win. That means that either I really great at picking them correctly or that this is a very good trend or a combination of both...

Any chance coach pop pulls the starters last second? He's done that before in the past against good teams.

spurs just won at cleveland and rested a day. they play tonight, have a day of rest before they play the magic on Saturday, and then two more days of rest before flying to chicago

memphis needed a win last night... or did they with 22 games left....

And the Nets were in their second home game back from a long road trip. The reason I mention it is because someone in here posted a write-up a few weeks ago about fading teams in that spot, but that strategy has gone 1-5 since then.

:empty:

first meeting this year, no leonard... no splitter

i think the spurs win by pulling away late

It depends on the kind of a team - some teams know how to get what they want, others just don't.
NBA is all about motivation. When the game means more to certain team, you know that they will give 100%, something that is not a given in this league.

Obviously it's one thing to trust mental cases like Pistons, to get a W when needed, it's other to trust a veteran and well coached team to do that...

Also, fading public isn't always a good idea. I know that my best trend, something like 75% success is betting on teams that need to win. That means that either I really great at picking them correctly or that this is a very good trend or a combination of both...

agree

this is interesting:

M-16 ‏<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(177, 187, 195); ">@</s>M16_Algorithm<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); margin-right: 5px; "> 4m</small>
<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 181, 210); ">#</s>NBA: Road <s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 181, 210); ">#</s>Heat are 3-0 1H ATS as dogs this year. Home <s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 181, 210); ">#</s>Spurs are 2-8 1H ATS vs. teams with a winning % of .600+

[h=1]Noah makes Bulls pitch to Anthony[/h]
Updated: March 6, 2014, 4:04 PM ET
<cite class="source"> By Chris Broussard | ESPN The Magazine</cite>

[h=5]Noah Recruiting Melo?[/h]Chris Broussard talks about Bulls star Joakim Noah approaching Carmelo Anthony over All-Star Weekend about joining the Bulls.Tags: NBA, Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks, Carmelo Anthony, Joakim Noah

[h=6]NEXT VIDEO
video2.png
[/h]

Joakim Noah wants to win a ring. To help him achieve that goal, he wants Carmelo Anthony on the Chicago Bulls.
[h=4]More on ESPN.com[/h]
friedell_nick_m.jpg
Joakim Noah has the right idea: Selling Carmelo Anthony on Chicago only helps the Bulls in the recruiting process, writes Nick Friedell. Story
Broussard: Why it makes sense
in.gif

SportsNation: Will he go to Chicago?

That's why Noah, Chicago's center, approached Anthony over All-Star Weekend last month about joining the Bulls, according to sources with knowledge of the conversation.
The sources said Noah told Anthony something to this effect: You can go to Los Angeles, but if you really want a ring, if you really want your legacy to be about winning, you should come to Chicago.
Anthony responded by telling Noah that he admires how hard the Bulls play and how hungry they are. Anthony also told Noah, according to the sources, that Derrick Rose is his son's favorite player.
[+] Enlarge<cite>Gary Dineen/NBAE/Getty Images</cite>Joakim Noah would like to play alongside Carmelo Anthony, not against him.

Sources said Rose also wants the Bulls to add Anthony and would be willing to help recruit him if he is asked to do so.
The conversation between Anthony and Noah started as a discussion about what it's like to play for Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau. With rumors about Chicago going after Anthony as well as about Thibodeau possibly coaching the New York Knicks next season, Anthony wanted to know about Thibodeau.
From there, the discussion turned to Noah telling Anthony he should join the Bulls.
Knicks coach Mike Woodson steered clear of the recruitment talk.
"I'm not going to get into all of that," he said on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show" Thursday. "You know legally nobody can recruit anyone. You can't do that at this point. Melo is still wearing a Knicks uniform and I hope he stays with the Knicks for the rest of his career. I've always said that. So whatever was said between Noah and the Chicago Bulls, that's on them."
To sign Anthony, the Bulls would have to use its amnesty clause on Carlos Boozer. By removing Boozer's $16.8 million from their cap figure, they will have roughly $15 million to offer Anthony next season. If the Bulls can trade Mike Dunleavy and his $3 million salary, they could start Anthony's deal at about $18 million.
Signing with the Bulls would mean taking a pay cut for Anthony, whose maximum contract with the Knicks would start at $22.4 million a season.
Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Ian Begley was used in this report.

splitter is coming off the bench

[h=2]HEAT AT SPURS, 8 P.M. ET[/h] March 6, 2014 · 6:45PM
TV: TNT

• Reserve big man Jeff Ayres will miss tonight’s game for the Spurs (44-16) with a right hand sprain. Coach Gregg Popovich said the injury occurred during a 3-on-3 drill in practice on Wednesday. Ayres averages 13 minutes a game.
  • The Spurs will switch their starting lineup a bit, inserting Boris Diaw in place of Tiago Splitter in the post next to Tim Duncan. Diaw had some success guarding LeBron James during last season’s NBA Finals.
  • Greg Oden was inactive (rest) for Miami (43-15) during Tuesday’s loss at Houston, but coach Erik Spoelstra said Oden will play tonight.

those stats have to be taken with a huge grain of salt since the spurs have not been this healthy all season

I'm leaning Phx, there are many suggestions for either side, but at the end of the day, PHX is home getting 6. My number says 4. Doing final checks.

On another note, the Lakers totals are now at the point where I believe there is a 5 to 6 pt cushion built into the OVERS. May do a small under run on Lakers games.

And the Nets were in their second home game back from a long road trip.

This was the Nets specific spot last night, from the post road trip stats thread -

ECF team 2nd game back off a 5+ game trip @Home vs non-Conf teams: 22-12 ATS

Nothing about that stat line (easily found in the thread I've linked) said to fade the Nets.

The reason I mention it is because someone in here posted a write-up a few weeks ago about fading teams in that spot, but that strategy has gone 1-5 since then.

:empty:

As for that recent -4 result run over 6 games that you see speaking against the general theory of fading 2nd games back, surely that's dwarfed by the +103 result run over 700 odd games from the last 10 completed seasons that speaks for it?

Reading your post, one can only come to the conclusion you've never read the post road trip stats thread stickied at the top of this forum (either during this season, or the previous 6 seasons it's featured at CTG), because I can find no other conclusion that would make sense in light of your authoring the quoted post.

played the spurs -3.5 even...

also a small parlay

spurs -3.5, under 206, lakers +11, over 224.5

fade espn, for sure. it cracks me up when bloodhound, god bless his soul, inserts quotes from their previews within his writeups. although he is the nfl/ncaaf king, real talk, i have no problem saying that.

The good shit on ESPN is their fantasy baseball info, called the Daily Notes - that is good shit and if you bet bases, it should be one of the first places you look. otherwise espn is shit.

I fucking love the spurs. Popovich is the best coach in the sport in my lifetime. Better than phil IMO

It's pure comedy hearing people (Charles Barkley) say Durant and Westbrook are the best team in the west

Back