Super Bowl Discussion Thread: Eagles vs. Chiefs

Have KC to beat Philly at +518. Lost the KC to beat SF in SB, so have basically 4 units on KC money line. Can bet a unit on Philly and have a free roll for 3 units on KC.

I like the over as well. Seems like we’ve had a run of unders in the SB, looking for that to change with these offenses.

Feels underwhelming right now considering how both games went down today. But the Chiefs stealing that one was big for them as they had nothing left NFL talent on the field.

Thought it would open Philly -4

Went big on Philly ML-135 and -1 -135

Can’t see KC offense or Defense on the same level with Philly.

KC was gifted that game, all big calls went their way for some extra help. Philly dominated a 4th string QB, but they had no big plays and won with ease. Philly should win against KC

KC 24
Philly 34

No one could be gifted a game more than Philly was today
Philly punched the 9ers in the mouth. Philly is the reason why the 9ers lost their 2 QBs. They physically dominated the 9ers. No gifts about this game. Shanahan’s fault for not using a timeout to allow more time on Smith’s catch. 9ers offense did nothing to deserve to win this game.

Thought it would open Philly -4

Went big on Philly ML-135 and -1 -135

Can’t see KC offense or Defense on the same level with Philly.

KC was gifted that game, all big calls went their way for some extra help. Philly dominated a 4th string QB, but they had no big plays and won with ease. Philly should win against KC

KC 24
Philly 34
Eagles first TD was a gift from the officials. And Niners were without Purdy. Eagles did not impress me today. Did not watch KC game.

Teased Chiefs +8.5 and under 55.5.

eagles most talented team in league........that pro bowl OLine is not going to give up pressures like the bengals did tonight. I don't even think that Spagnola blitzing style is a good matchup for the eagles look at how they destroyed the giants

lean philly but I would take reid > sirianni and mahomes > hurts

hurts is on an all star team. not even sure i extend him with a crazy contract

OVER i see lot of points

the most talented teams don't always win the super bowl with so many weeks to prepare

Eagles first TD was a gift from the officials. And Niners were without Purdy. Eagles did not impress me today. Did not watch KC game.

Teased Chiefs +8.5 and under 55.5.
How was it a gift? 9ers could have challenged that catch. Or called a timeout. Or been prepared.

No one could be gifted a game more than Philly was today
Because Purdy being out was responsible for that “top rated defense” giving up 31 points? Umm, ok.Even while Purdy was in for the beginning of the game, the Eagles sliced through that offense like butter, and Purdy looked overwhelmed by what he was dealing with. Purdy doesn’t get injured, Eagles still win that game by a TD.

Last edited:
Because Purdy being out was responsible for that “top rated defense” giving up 31 points? Umm, ok.Even while Purdy was in for the beginning of the game, the Eagles sliced through that offense like butter, and Purdy looked overwhelmed by what he was dealing with. Purdy doesn’t get injured, Eagles still win that game by a TD.
Not to argue but...

Eagles had two damn good TD drives.

Obviously the first TD should have never occured (and the injury subsequently doesn't happen at that point).

They had a gift TD drive before half.

The FG drive was after SF had to go for it late.

-----------------

As I said in the in-game, eventually the SF defense wasn't going to be able to totally keep them in it. That happens when you have no offense.

The SF D played, imo, outstanding until the 2nd TD drive when the penalties started coming into play. They were undisciplined, no doubt.

Philly averaged less than 4 ypc and take away the missed call early, less than 100 yards passing.

I don't want to discredit philly. They played a CLEAN game. They had some great run designs inside the twenty. Their trenches are DAMN good.

Just saying, don't attach "31 points"..the SF D was giving them the business for awhile.

------------

I think this is the best KC defense of the past 3 years. That doesn't mean they are great, but they are better than recent additions. Still, the Eagles will find some relief on offense in two weeks. This is quite the interesting cap.

GL to your team.

Not to argue but...

Obviously the first TD should have never occured (and the injury subsequently doesn't happen at that point).

-----------------

As I said in the in-game, eventually the SF defense wasn't going to be able to totally keep them in it. That happens when you have no offense.

The SF D played, imo, outstanding until the 2nd TD drive when the penalties started coming into play. They were undisciplined, no doubt.

Philly averaged less than 4 ypc and take away the missed call early, less than 100 yards passing.

I don't want to discredit philly. They played a CLEAN game. They had some great run designs inside the twenty. Their trenches are DAMN good.

Just saying, don't attach "31 points"..the SF D was giving them the business for awhile.

------------

I think this is the best KC defense of the past 3 years. That doesn't mean they are great, but they are better than recent additions. Still, the Eagles will find some relief on offense in two weeks. This is quite the interesting cap.

GL to your team.
It’s definitely a very good and interesting game. I believe the Eagles offensive variety and their O line would have eventually worn down the 9ers. That D was good but it’s not hard to be good in the NFC West. The couple times they played actual good offensive teams, they were exposed. And that catch was not some sort of anomaly. Those things happen in most NFL games. Part of the game is knowing how to handle those situations. The Eagles did. I don’t think that discounts that TD. It’s all part of football. The Eagles responded. The 9ers didn’t.

It’s definitely a very good and interesting game. I believe the Eagles offensive variety and their O line would have eventually worn down the 9ers. That D was good but it’s not hard to be good in the NFC West. The couple times they played actual good offensive teams, they were exposed.
That's the thing. They've been blah lately.

They were really good today.

As cub said, 3.8 ypp.

260 or so yards?

SF D did their job today other than penalties.

They gave up 14 legit pts overall.

I’m actually very glad it’s KC. I love that team. Obviously as an Eagles fan love Andy. Mahomes is ridiculous. Pacheco is a stud. Kelce can’t be stopped. Their D is underrated.

That's the thing. They've been blah lately.

They were really good today.

As cub said, 3.8 ypp.

260 or so yards?

SF D did their job today other than penalties.

They gave up 14 legit pts overall.
I understand your point but not sure how you differentiate legit vs non legit points. To me it’s all part of the game. The QB injuries were a result of the pass rush. Those statistics are cute, but mean little to me as the Eagles didn’t need to pass much since they were having success on the ground where your ypp will be less. Additionally, factor in the 4 or 5 qb sneaks they do and that will bring your average down too.
The 1 thing I CAN agree with is the Eagles have so far had one of the “easiest” paths to a Superbowl I’ve ever seen. It’s a legit question how they will perform against a very good KC team. I personally feel they will rise to the occasion, but definitely not certain.

Look, I bet the eags. Thought they were better and would win, but they didn't have to do anything more than show up to get that win today. Game was a joke.
Niners were embarrassed. Their oline got their QBs killed. Bosa looked lost all day. All while Hurts played awful. No mention of Hurts missing Brown who was wide open downfield for a TD.
Naturally everyone will be on Philly in the Super Bowl. I wouldn’t go against Mahomes.

To be fair on the 3.8 ypp, the Eagles had a blowout going, lot of short fields, and got conservative. They didn't need to do anything fancy after the first half really. They knew they had SF right where they wanted them.

Looks like they stole something else from you too...

9d50674f25e313b2c8d376b37780a2a57a9fbf3f33f690c2233aca8d7a63827c_1.webp

Short hand from the gym. Using memory from deeeeep analysis last weekend.

HC - duh.reid
QB - duh. Mahomes

After those 2… its all Eagles.

OL - big advantage
DL - qb pressure and depth
DB - slay and bradberry take it
WR/TE - iggles again
RB - mayybe a wash but with hurts.. its philly
K - butker misses xp when i bet chiefs so fuck him

Other shit. Both softer schedules but philly softest. I need to look into tackling metrics a bit.

All in all i femy cin kc was coin flip with the “will pressuring burrow happen”… it did. Flip side mahomes was clean. Mahomes wont ve clean this time and eagles have ability to punish on ground…

Heavy lean philly for now

To be fair on the 3.8 ypp, the Eagles had a blowout going, lot of short fields, and got conservative. They didn't need to do anything fancy after the first half really. They knew they had SF right where they wanted them.

For sure. My point is they didn't have to do anything. Maybe they could have, but we'll never know.

For sure. My point is they didn't have to do anything. Maybe they could have, but we'll never know.
I think Philly did what they wanted to them, hence the results. Niners interior line has always been a weakness. Seattle & Dallas both had success vs them. Philly was just too physical. The result was comparable to an NFL team playing the best college team. They would have gotten pummeled.
Having said that, I’m not comfortable playing Philly against KC with some of the slop I saw from Hurst and their play calling. They showed great ignorance with their lack of clock management to shorten the game when they got the 28-7 lead. Snapping the ball with 17 seconds left and throwing incompletions on 2nd down & 3rd down to extend the game in the 3rd qrtr was just stupid

I think Philly did what they wanted to them, hence the results. Niners interior line has always been a weakness. Seattle & Dallas both had success vs them. Philly was just too physical. The result was comparable to an NFL team playing the best college team. They would have gotten pummeled.
Having said that, I’m not comfortable playing Philly against KC with some of the slop I saw from Hurst and their play calling. They showed great ignorance with their lack of clock management to shorten the game when they got the 28-7 lead. Snapping the ball with 17 seconds left and throwing incompletions on 2nd down & 3rd down to extend the game in the 3rd qrtr was just stupid

That was pretty surprising.

That was pretty surprising.
In our NFC Championship threads I felt everything pointed towards Philly. Biggest problem was sending a rookie QB into Philly. I believe rookie QBs are now 0-5 in this spot.
Really looking forward to capping the Super Bowl. Injury report is needed for this one. GL!

Eagles 69-14 two game playoff run is the largest margin since the K-Gun Bills went to the Super Bowl in 1990 with a 95-37 edge. A history of the most dominant playoff teams heading into the Super Bowl since 1985:

1985 - Monsters of the Midway pitched back to back shutouts totaling 45-0 before pasting New England
1986 - New York Giants own the largest margin heading into the big game, with 66-3 total blasting San Fran and shutting out Wash. They beat Denver easily.
1988 - First of two Niner dominant teams whipped Minny and Chi by a total of 62-12 before a comeback win over the Bengals
1989 - Montana's fourth SB run was his best, crushing Minny and LA Rams before just obliterating the Broncos
1990 - Bills as noted above, lost a classic to the Giants. Late 80's-early 90's were a golden age of dominant teams
1991 - Washington went 15-1 then won two games by a margin of 65-17 before beating the Bills rather handily
1998 - Denver in Elway's last year blew through AFC with a 61-13 margin before beating the Dirty Birds
2000 - The Giants won their two playoff games 61-10 but then ran into an all-time defense in the Ravens and lost. Ravens had won their two games 40-13.
2002 - Chucky's Bucs cruised through NFC 58-16 then dominated the Raiders who were still using his playbook.

Since 2002, no team has had a 40+ point margin as parity has kicked in. There have been some 30+ point margins.
2004 - Both Philly (54-24) and New England (61-30) won their playoff games handily. Then Brady won his 3rd ring.
2005 - Seattle rolled through the NFC 54-24 then lost to the Steelers and their refs
2009 - Indy won their two games 50-20 then got onsided by Payton and the Saints
2016 - New England rolled (70-33) into the Super Bowl then needed OT to complete a 28-3 comeback vs. Atlanta.
2017 - Philly's last super bowl run was pretty impressive as well and then things got "special" against the Patriots.

The moral - looking dominant on the way to the Super Bowl usually leads to success in the Super Bowl. But not always and certainly less often in recent years.

What qbs has Philly faced ? Danny dimes and San Frans practice squad ? .....what teams have they faced to test them recently ? Chiefs just went through a war...Philly gone from undervalued before playoffs to perhaps little overvalued

Tom Brady many years was in a weaker afc and I'd say the nfc team is more talented better team he'd face in super bowl and pats would win

Part of this game is the generational qb angle....mahomes is meant to win super bowls hurts isn't.......... Andy Reid think he will be motivated to win against his former team and walk off into the sunset ? Might be reids last game and retirement

How many times does mannings bradys rodgers mahomes lose super bowls......it does happen but if ur getting plus money with mahomes. To some that's the end of the cap.

X's, O's. Injuries. Analysis. PLEASE. Whatever.

I have a 78% system~!

This year's Super Bowl likely signals the return of the 'Regular Season QB MVP Jinx'

The award is announced 2-9-23, the game is on 2-12-23

This is how the 'Regular Season MVP QBs' have done vs the spread in the big game

1966 BART STARR GREEN BAY vs KANSAS CITY W
1968 EARL MORRAL BALTIMORE vs NY JETS L
1978 TERRY BRADSHAW PITTSBURGH vs DALLAS T
1981 KEN ANDERSON CINCY vs SAN FRAN L
1983 JOE THEISMAN WASHINGTON vs RAIDERS L
1984 DAN MARINO MIAMI vs SAN FRAN L
1987 JOHN ELWAY DENVER vs WASHINGTON L
1988 BOOMER ESIASON CINCY vs SAN FRAN W
1989 JOE MONTANA SAN FRAN vs DENVER W
1990 STEVE YOUNG SAN FRAN vs SAN DIEGO W
1996 BRETT FAVRE GREEN BAY vs NEW ENGLAND T
1997 BRETT FAVRE GREEN BAY vs DENVER L
1999 KURT WARNER ST LOUIS vs TENNESSEE T
2001 KURT WARNER ST LOUIS vs NEW ENGLAND L
2002 RICH GANNON OAKLAND vs TAMPA BAY L
2007 TOM BRADY NEW ENGLAND vs NY GIANTS L
2009 PEYTON MANNING INDY vs NEW ORLEANS L
2013 PEYTON MANNING DENVER vs SEATTLE L
2015 CAM NEWTON CAROLINA vs DENVER L
2016 MATT RYAN ATLANTA vs NEW ENGLAND L
2017 TOM BRADY NEW ENGLAND vs PHILLY L

4 wins, 14 losses, 3 pushes

Not to argue but...

-----------------

------------

GL to your team.
I had Philly ML -136 and TT over 23.5. I hedged out on SF +6 because I thought after the 1st Philly TD drive (which should have ended with no TD) SF was the better team, even with Purdy out. Feel totally lucky to have won the TT over as I think Philly probably should have had around 17. SF fumble before half and subsequent TD was a great gift. Then the penalty on the punt and subsequent TD in 2H - just think getting the TT over was a lucky. But I'll take it.

Hurts shoulder is still messed up isn’t it? He really didn’t throw the ball all that well. Didn’t matter much since that game was over almost before it started, the 1st td drive that shoulda been a turnover on downs then Purdy blowing out his elbow not long after. He will have 2 more weeks but fuck? It been over a month now hasn’t it? Is it gonna heel in 2 more weeks? I doubt Philly d gonna shit on kc to the point they can get away with him not throwing the ball again. If they able to get 40+ rush attempts in SB they will probably run for 250 on kc,

Last edited:
Back