Super Bowl Discussion Thread: Eagles vs. Chiefs

Initial like in the Super Bowl is Philly.
KC run D gives up 6 a carry? My goodness.

That is certainly a concern. My only question there is can they bring more ppl into the box and dare hurts to beat them? Earlier in the year id have said that suicide but imo he hasn’t thrown the deep ball very well at all since his shoulder injury, I actually think his shoulder looks like a way bigger deal than mahomes ankle.

I thought hurts was basically healthy coming into yesterday but it looks to me like shoulder effecting his throwing.

Philly punched the 9ers in the mouth. Philly is the reason why the 9ers lost their 2 QBs. They physically dominated the 9ers. No gifts about this game. Shanahan’s fault for not using a timeout to allow more time on Smith’s catch. 9ers offense did nothing to deserve to win this game.

Dude the only QB that mattered was Purdy who didn’t hit the turf and literally hurt his elbow on a pass on his third pass attempt.

Eagles had a non catch touchdown drive followed by endless 3 and outs. Hurts did not look good at all.

Game was over when the 9ers had to go to their fourth stringer but to act like Purdy was bloodied. He took less than .1% the punishment that Burrow took last night.

I thought hurts was basically healthy coming into yesterday but it looks to me like shoulder effecting his throwing.

Him and the Eagles offense in general didn’t do much of anything outside the non catch and beneficiary of penalties.

That is certainly a concern. My only question there is can they bring more ppl into the box and dare hurts to beat them? Earlier in the year id have said that suicide but imo he hasn’t thrown the deep ball very well at all since his shoulder injury, I actually think his shoulder looks like a way bigger deal than mahomes ankle.
Yep. Hurts was downright terrible in the passing game. Not sure how much Mahomes reinjured the ankle yesterday but either way there wont be much improvement and itll be easy to tweak again in the SB.
Fascinating game to Cap. 49pts seems high to me. 24-23, 27-20?

Him and the Eagles offense in general didn’t do much of anything outside the non catch and beneficiary of penalties.

I’d be lying if I said I watched closely enough to say. I stopped paying close attention and focused more on partying after purdy got hurt. Just seemed like Hurts missed some throws when I was watching. Even tho the run game averaged less than 4ypc that amount of attempts is more than nothing, it controlling the game.

There was nothing to read into that Eagles game yesterday other than it was another cake walk for them. Hurts had 120 yards and no one rushed for over 4 ypc.

I worry about KC’s health going into the SB. Will any of the WRs be back? Spags is a big game coordinator and 9ers defensive scheme essentially blanked the eagles.

What qbs has Philly faced ? Danny dimes and San Frans practice squad ? .....what teams have they faced to test them recently ? Chiefs just went through a war...Philly gone from undervalued before playoffs to perhaps little overvalued

Tom Brady many years was in a weaker afc and I'd say the nfc team is more talented better team he'd face in super bowl and pats would win

Part of this game is the generational qb angle....mahomes is meant to win super bowls hurts isn't.......... Andy Reid think he will be motivated to win against his former team and walk off into the sunset ? Might be reids last game and retirement

How many times does mannings bradys rodgers mahomes lose super bowls......it does happen but if ur getting plus money with mahomes. To some that's the end of the cap.
As an Eagles fan I do agree this concerns me regarding not having faced too many good QBs, especially on the level of PM. I do think we can bring some serious pressure that will hopefully bother him enough to throw him off his game, and our secondary is very good. But it IS Mahomes and IS a very experienced KC team.

Dude the only QB that mattered was Purdy who didn’t hit the turf and literally hurt his elbow on a pass on his third pass attempt.

Eagles had a non catch touchdown drive followed by endless 3 and outs. Hurts did not look good at all.

Game was over when the 9ers had to go to their fourth stringer but to act like Purdy was bloodied. He took less than .1% the punishment that Burrow took last night.
I thought the game was over in pregame. SF oline was exposed and we’re forgetting this is where the mismatch was. SF oline was why they were down to Purdy in the first place. Garapollo ended his season getting butied by 2 dlinemen.
The mismatch was there well prior to Purdy going out.

Yep. Hurts was downright terrible in the passing game. Not sure how much Mahomes reinjured the ankle yesterday but either way there wont be much improvement and itll be easy to tweak again in the SB.
Fascinating game to Cap. 49pts seems high to me. 24-23, 27-20?

49 def seems high, if eagles having their way it gonna be a ton more rushing attempts keeping the clock running. I’d think mahomes gonna have to get the ball out rather quickly, lot of short passes, again keeping clock running.

There was nothing to read into that Eagles game yesterday other than it was another cake walk for them. Hurts had 120 yards and no one rushed for over 4 ypc.

I worry about KC’s health going into the SB. Will any of the WRs be back? Spags is a big game coordinator and 9ers defensive scheme essentially blanked the eagles.
Injury report is everything for KC. They looked wounded.

As an Eagles fan I do agree this concerns me regarding not having faced too many good QBs, especially on the level of PM. I do think we can bring some serious pressure that will hopefully bother him enough to throw him off his game, and our secondary is very good. But it IS Mahomes and IS a very experienced KC team.

Kc oline blocks really well for him, if they let them hold anywhere close to as much they did yesterday combined with his ability to move around in pocket I don’t think it gonna be a pass rush onslaught. Sure they will get home a time or 2 but I don’t think it be constant non-stop pressure.

Hardman re-injured the same thing that has been keeping him out so I’d think it be tough for him to play? Toney always seems hurt.

I thought the game was over in pregame. SF oline was exposed and we’re forgetting this is where the mismatch was. SF oline was why they were down to Purdy in the first place. Garapollo ended his season getting butied by 2 dlinemen.
The mismatch was there well prior to Purdy going out.

I mean it still impossible to say, everything changed once there was absolutely no threat of a ball going over anyone head. Despite no threat of a pass mccaffery still went for over 5ypc.

Philly oline is better than I even gave them credit for. I know they didn’t have anyone have even 4ypc but their scheme and how they block the run game is impressive. They formation you to get numbers on one side and they just keep attacking it with a center that is excellent getting to the 2nd level. I know circumstances totally changed pretty much any reasonable outcome for that game but I’d never have guessed they be able to get 40+ rush attempts against niners d.

I mean it still impossible to say, everything changed once there was absolutely no threat of a ball going over anyone head. Despite no threat of a pass mccaffery still went for over 5ypc.
Yea but the SF Oline is what caused the issues. They couldn’t protect. I noticed it was a problem in the Seattle game. Dallas created problems as well. Philly Dline was just far superior the 9er oline. Purdy & Johnson got killed for a reason.

Mahomes is a fucking warrior. So tough to go against him. I know it's not all about the qbs but it kind of is in a tight game. He and Reid have the experience.

Hurts hasn’t looked close to the same qb since the shoulder injury imo. Pretty confident he won’t be able to hide behind the defense in this one. Maybe the run game can gash kc enough but I can’t imagine eagles d makes this another cake walk, mahomes and Reid too good for that to happen imo.

Now 10-2 in my 12 game run of recommendations (not bets - only bet is exactly KC to beat Eagles at +450 prior to the championship games), winning all the divisionals and all of the championship games. I admit it, I was definitely wrong about the chiefs game where the bengals were the better team. And I have a feeling I might have been wrong about Phil/niner game as well but we will never know.

I have been watching the league a long time. SB play is KC moneyline. Why? Because you do not steal an AFC championship game from one team and gift to the other team in such blatant fashion unless you plan on that team winning the super bowl. As a raider fan, I learned a long time ago to not get in front of the league. While there is a chance the league was going to punish the bills/bengals winner regardless of which it was and there is a chance that means what we saw yesterday had nothing to do with love for kc, I can only take them. Eagles look much more complete to me but I smell a rat.

KC ML

I doubt it mattered due to injury but Shanahan got out-coached badly (again in a big game - go figure ).

Yea but the SF Oline is what caused the issues. They couldn’t protect. I noticed it was a problem in the Seattle game. Dallas created problems as well. Philly Dline was just far superior the 9er oline. Purdy & Johnson got killed for a reason.

It was 7-7 wasn’t it? Mccaffery was running effectively, purdy was 3-3, think I recall them driving the field. I honestly stopped paying much attention cause felt like there was no game, when you have no threat of a ball traveling over 5 yards in air it makes life a lot different. I don’t think they will just bum rush kc oline on way to mahomes.

I recall Dak lighting up this Philly d not that long ago. I know Hurts didn’t play that game but don’t think that had anything to do with Dak throwing for 350 on the d.

I recall Dak lighting up this Philly d not that long ago. I know Hurts didn’t play that game but don’t think that had anything to do with Dak throwing for 350 on the d.
To be fair, his weapons are much better even though he sucks and Mahomes is great.

Lol I’m still laughing at the notion that a game can be stolen when you :

Have more yards
More yards per play
More sacks
Win the turnover battle
Have a TD taken off the board for holding

Cincy had the ball twice in the 4th quarter with a chance to take the lead and punted both times. After the grounding, the got a first down and kept moving. They still punted.

They lost.

If the two teams that finished the game yesterday face each other, Philly is the play.

I will never play them out of principle but I would need to see an injury report next week before making any move if I were going to.

To be fair, his weapons are much better even though he sucks and Mahomes is great.

You think so? I know kc weapons ain’t among the best but Dallas has CD and some guys at wr, Shultz decent, pollard a stud. But kc running backs as a whole I think on Dallas level. Kelce obviously better than Shultz. Kc has 3-4 wrs who all as good as Dallas after CD I think. I don’t think there a huge gap there. Maybe I’m crazy?

Have more yards
More yards per play
More sacks
Win the turnover battle

Cincy had the ball twice in the 4th quarter with a chance to take the lead and punted both times. After the grounding, the got a first down and kept moving. They still punted.

They lost.

I think you looking thru blinders if you can’t acknowledge kc got very friendly officiating but you havnt or won’t hear me say it was “stolen”. Cincy beat themselves with one horrible mistake pushing mahomes late, without the late hit pretty confident game goes to ot, that kick needed at least 10 of those 15 yards.

I’m not interested in going back over yesterdays games but since you brought up the intentional grounding isn’t it fair to say he threw that ball directly in the direction of Perine but getting hit kept ball from being closer? It not supposed to be pi when you get hit as you throwing is it? anyways, at end of the day I think reasonable ppl thought that game would come down to one qb/team making late plays to win, kc d, special teams, and mahomes made them. Cost me my cincy future but I don’t think it was stolen. I think it was a awfully officiated game, I think kc got more favorable calls/non calls, but in the end the game was there to win, when burrow got the ball on both those drives with a chance I thought I had it, kc d stopped him so nothing else to say, hats off.

I was really looking forward to seeing the new ot rules also, I dunno wtf possessed bengals linebacker to push mahomes so late? All I can think is he running his ass off and didn’t realize they were a foot out of bounds? Lol. That sucked so hard.

It was more the dpi and holding calls kc kept getting over and over. I had kc ml so not complaining but they got some timely calls. The 3rd down that got to be repeated again was another suspicious sequence.

I doubt it mattered due to injury but Shanahan got out-coached badly (again in a big game - go figure ).

I’ll never understand why he didn’t challenge that pass to smith on the 1st drive? Who cares if you have time to see the replay? The fact smith told his team to hurry up and snap it was enough to throw the flag, he clearly knew he didn’t catch it! That went from 0-0 niners ball to 7-0. Made no sense to me, I was yelling to throw flag the whole time eagles were running up to snap it.

Philly hasn't had that close playoff game. Not seeing kc getting blown out. Will be a dogfight.

Bottom line, kc found a way to pull it out and the defense stepped up big in the 4th at the end.

Agreed. No sense rehashing bunch of calls cause in the end I had what I wanted, burrow with the ball in a tie game and he gave it back to them. Doesn’t much matter how crappy the game was officiated (and it was awful), still didn’t decide outcome.

Boyd getting hurt was a killer also. I mean kc was losing wr’s left and right so again tough to blame that but part the reason I thought cincy was the better team was because chase, higgens, Boyd is lethal. I have a feeling boyd was gonna have a field day if they continued dedicating 2 guys to chase practically every play, he already had 2 grabs for 40 before getting hurt, think he was going for 100+.

How does Philly generally do against tight ends? I thought cincy played kelce about as well you can, he obviously made a huge play on his 4th and 1 td but for most part he wasn’t controlling the game, it was a pretty quite 7 for 78! Lol. I think the way Ried split him out several times and forced cincy to show their hand was really smart, left space for others, mostly MVS, on his td you could see how the middle the field opened up with bengals d dedicating one their safeties as a straight double team on kelce.

Have more yards
More yards per play
More sacks
Win the turnover battle

They lost.
Anyone notice after the grounding call against Burrow that the refs stunk it up again by starting the game clock? Cincinnati didn’t care because they were in 3rd and long. The NFL crew in this game should be embarrassed for how poor they performed in a big game.

Anyone notice after the grounding call against Burrow that the refs stunk it up again by starting the game clock? Cincinnati didn’t care because they were in 3rd and long. The NFL crew in this game should be embarrassed for how poor they performed in a big game.

They shoulda let cincy have a few 3rd down plays like they did for kc! Lol. The officiating was god awful, I dunno how that debatable? As I said I’m not gonna cry and say the game was stolen, when the chips were down kc got pressure and got the ball back on b2b drives cincy got the ball in a tie game. It was there to win and bengals didnt do it, kc d did.

I didn’t understand the 2nd pick Burrow threw, that was a 3rd and short so throwing it up in double coverage to higgens was a bad choice, much different than the 4th down throw to chase where wasn’t much choice but to go for it. Great play by the corner but Didn’t make any sense throwing that deep ball up to Higgens, get the 3 yards for a 1st down and keep drive going.

Higgens and chase got doubled a ton, I can’t help but wonder how big a game Boyd coulda had?!? He was obviously off to a great start, hard to imagine he woiuldnt have continued to do damage in middle the field. But again, depth matters, kc lost a ton of wr’s throughout the game.

Burrow being the leading rusher for bengals wasn’t exactly what I was looking for either, gotta credit the kc d for that! 20 rush attempts for kc, only 17 for cincy. Eagles are obviously gonna test the run d on a whole different level. Think if I’m spags I’m selling out to stop the run till hurts proves his arm can beat me.

It‘s not the NFL‘s fault. They’re really poor, so they genuinely can’t afford to train their refs to perform any better. Luckily this particular reffing performance was just an anomaly.

Agreed. No sense rehashing bunch of calls cause in the end I had what I wanted, burrow with the ball in a tie game and he gave it back to them. Doesn’t much matter how crappy the game was officiated (and it was awful), still didn’t decide outcome.

Yes

Both these teams kinda tough to figure out prop wise.

Hindsight and all I recall talking bout if I was cincy I’d force MVS to beat me, that shoulda maybe been a tell to play him! Lol. Just wasn’t sure he was capable of that kinda game! Didn’t feel like this dude had a td all year and now he got 2 in 2 playoff games (he had 2 on the season, had to look, lol)! Mahomes now got that Brady thing going where he gets it done w whatever weapons they throw out there! MVS made a few fantastic plays, he had a big time tough catch where he had to totally adjust his body in the air, he had that play where he held the ball out and refs somehow overturned the spot (In kc favor of course!), the td catch was more about mahomes but he still had to run the route and make the catch with defender flashing in front of him just inches from ball.

Anyways point being who freaking knows who gonna get the targets on kc outside of kelce? McKinnon has disappeared in the playoffs, this week Pacheco made all the plays from the rb position in the pass game, watching him run after catch I think he would get any screen or dump off on my team and McKinnon be nothing other than a pass blocker (that mostly been his role last 2 weeks) he really good in protection.

Philly has a habit of spreading the rush attempts out enough to piss ya off! Shouldn’t be any question which wr’s get their targets and it hasn’t been, mostly the ball going to brown, smith, Goedert, but can we trust Hurts right now? While I was not paying much attention I do recall him missing brown on a deep ball where he had a step, the throw to smith on 1st drive shouldn’t have even counted seeing how smith didn’t catch it!

There already some numbers out, they only have kelce and mckinnon Up for kc receiving which speaks to the point of who knows who getting their targets or who healthy? I’d guess there a bunch of movement on them the next 2 weeks so gonna sit back tonight and see if there anything I like enough to take now or if there some I might want to wait on.

Maybe some more exotic props? I remember my brother cashed on “someone other than qb throwing a td” last year, if I recall mixon threw one.

Have more yards
More yards per play
More sacks
Win the turnover battle

They lost.
Overall a great game, no doubt. Honestly, I'm starting to think that 15 is so good he's getting in other peoples' heads. As in afraid of him down the stretch good. Very much like the way Tiger got in guys' head that he was going to find a way to win in the end. Coaches are playing to avoid him getting the ball late...and they're making dumb mistakes. Not anyone's fault but the opposition, but it's becoming a trend in these big spots.

Very interesting matchup, but i think the game is won on the line of scrimmage. Whoever's OL or DL has the better games will win. Lot of questions on both sides so the cap here is a unique one for a game of such magnitude.

Overall a great game, no doubt. Honestly, I'm starting to think that 15 is so good he's getting in other peoples' heads. As in afraid of him down the stretch good. Very much like the way Tiger got in guys' head that he was going to find a way to win in the end. Coaches are playing to avoid him getting the ball late...and they're making dumb mistakes. Not anyone's fault but the opposition, but it's becoming a trend in these big spots.

Very interesting matchup, but i think the game is won on the line of scrimmage. Whoever's OL or DL has the better games will win. Lot of questions on both sides so the cap here is a unique one for a game of such magnitude.

Good point. He gets that Brady treatment and that fucks up everything that last quarter in a close game when other teams go away from their game plan.

I'm a very casual NFL guy - watch a few games each week, don't bet until the playoffs .... but man, many here are being silly IMO

Philly really played to (not lose) - they coulda won by 35-40. The idea was to not let SF back in the game. The much healthier - more sound team, with a huge HF edge, and maybe the largest QB edge in NFL history - right? How they matchup vs KC is all that matters.

How is it surprising that KC won? Huge HF edge (home team in a loud ass stadium OFTEN gets the calls ffs). They were the team playing with an EDGE.

Even game - KC / Mahomes made the plays to win - a 'refuse to lose ' mentality. Most of the flags, or lack of - were actually legit - once you calm down / study a bit you'll get it.

IF you believe the NFL 'wants KC to win' - simply QUANTITY that angle, factor into your handicap. Nobody throws more flags than Carl Cheffers ....

I played Philly P early

I'm a very casual NFL guy - watch a few games each week, don't bet until the playoffs .... but man, many here are being silly IMO

Philly really played to (not lose) - they coulda won by 35-40. The idea was to not let SF back in the game. The much healthier - more sound team, with a huge HF edge, and maybe the largest QB edge in NFL history - right? How they matchup vs KC is all that matters.

How is it surprising that KC won? Huge HF edge (home team in a loud ass stadium OFTEN gets the calls ffs). They were the team playing with an EDGE.

Even game - KC / Mahomes made the plays to win - a 'refuse to lose ' mentality. Most of the flags, or lack of - were actually legit - once you calm down / study a bit you'll get it.

IF you believe the NFL 'wants KC to win' - simply QUANTITY that angle, factor into your handicap. Nobody throws more flags than Carl Cheffers ....

I played Philly P early

Of course Philly played differently given the situation, that why several have said you can’t take much from that game. You can run it 40+ times for less than 4ypc when the opposing team can’t throw a forward pass. Not sure it matters what they “could have” scored? Had niners played it just to stay close as possible they coulda held them to less.

Only thing I took from that game is I still don’t think Hurts is throwing the ball nearly as well he was pre injury. One these games they gonna need him to throw and since he been back I havnt seen anything that makes me confident in him if/when that happens. Maybe their run game can absolutely truck kc d and it never becomes a issue. I don’t think the d is gonna shut kc down tho, one way or the other I feel pretty confident in saying they gonna need more from Hurts than he has given them since coming back, maybe he can deliver, he hasn’t had to up to this point since the d took apart giants and niners.

Hurts was seriously injured / nowhere near 100% - before Giants game he was throwing TOWELS in practice (footballs too much ha) - the 40 yd pass to D Smith vs NYG, was the longest pass he threw since return (practice included). Supposedly he'll be much improved in 2 weeks, and no doubt will take more risks.

Personally- I like to understand my inherent cognitive bias - factor this in - learn BOTH sides - remove EMOTION from the equation. Cheerleading is a money burner.

Back