Super Bowl Discussion Thread: Eagles vs. Chiefs

Free $100 wager on Goedert any time TD +160, only thing I've placed

I like toney to score. I was gonna go kelce but gotta think Philly will be all over him in red zone, kc runs a lot of stuff for toney down there.

Reactions: KJ
I’ve decided Spags needs to send the damn house today. Blitz often and from all angles. Can’t sit back and let Hurts have time. Going to give up some big plays but that’s better than getting gashed for 6 yards a pop and letting Philly eat 8 minute drives.

It's so funny, and maybe this is my last cogent thought before I completely lose my mind for this game, but I was thinking this AM that your original plan is right.

I don't think they send the house. I think they play that front seven, but I think they try to mimic what the Bears did earlier this year with a good bit of success. What got SF in trouble was lining up their LBs about 5 yards back. This gave too much space for the Eagles OL to get through their first block and get to the second level. What the Bears did is they shrank that space. So it was three yards off the ball and that whole space right around the line becomes clogged up with giant humans. This worked—for a while. And it might work for longer with KC who I would say are probably better than the Bears defensively.

One note on the other side of that, the team that gave up the most yards on defense to spread offenses was KC. The team that ran the most plays from the spread this year? Philly.

GO BIRDS.

It's so funny, and maybe this is my last cogent thought before I completely lose my mind for this game, but I was thinking this AM that your original plan is right.

I don't think they send the house. I think they play that front seven, but I think they try to mimic what the Bears did earlier this year with a good bit of success. What got SF in trouble was lining up their LBs about 5 yards back. This gave too much space for the Eagles OL to get through their first block and get to the second level. What the Bears did is they shrank that space. So it was three yards off the ball and that whole space right around the line becomes clogged up with giant humans. This worked—for a while. And it might work for longer with KC who I would say are probably better than the Bears defensively.

One note on the other side of that, the team that gave up the most yards on defense to spread offenses was KC. The team that ran the most plays from the spread this year? Philly.

GO BIRDS.

They have to commit 8 to box and have to attack the Los, can’t let those fantastic eagles lineman get to the second level, that when really bad things happen and kelce about the best there is at it. If hurts can consistently connect deep then so be it, I’ll live with losing that way, if they let eagles run game control things I’ll be incredibly pissed off. Things have drastically changed since the injury, before that you had to respect hurts hitting you for big plays, he hasn’t proven he can do that since coming back,

The other thing about that is if Philly gomma score i much rather it comes on big passing plays so kc gets ball back quickly, there no world where kc wins if eagles hold the ball for 40 min with 40+ rush attempts.

It really admire those of you who've watched very little about this game this week. Joe's a mess. He's watched everything. It's to the point where I'm watching which animals have picked which team. KC has a giraffe, an orangutan, I think a tiger maybe, and a hippo. The Birds have a groundhog, a couple of other things like a big cat of some kind, and we have a hippo too. And, truth be told, the hippo that picked the Chiefs is 2-5 picking SBs, so let's be real here. Her baby brother on the other hand, this is his first SB and I like his confidence.

Anyway, it's also funny that Cap and I are almost exactly in the same place on other sides of the coin. I, too, was more worried about the Championship. SF's defense worried me a lot—as it should anybody really. And the entire week leading up to the AFC Championship, I said I wanted Cincy if the Birds got through. But the more that game went on, the more I wanted KC. I still think Philly's DL would have had a field day against that banged up Cincy line, but Cincy has the best WR corps in the league. You're not going to get home on every play. That meant it would have had to be a shootout and vs. Joe Burrow I'm not crazy about that.

But two things keep jumping out at me from everything I've heard this week about Spags and the KC defense. One was the way Spags switched it up to beat Brady. Apparently the trick was to bring his safeties down a few steps. This allowed everything to compress on NE's WRs. That meant that all those quick throws Brady was so good at were never gimmies against the Giants. They were always contested, which made long drives extremely difficult.

Which brings me to something @aplous said. If Spags is really going to sit back, play two high, and try not to get beat deep, I think KC may be in for a really long day. Because if you're just going to have seven in there and tell them to stop this running game, that is a monster ask. And I don't think you're going to be happy with the results. I go back to the NFC Championship game where SF had LBs—arguably the strongest part of the best defense in the league—repeatedly caught flat-footed because of the RPO. You need help vs. a running game like this.

And I know they've said Spags has reached out to some college coaches over the last week-plus about stopping the RPO. And I genuinely respect the dude for what he did in Philly and NY. But if the goal is to open up the middle a bit and dare Philly beat you by pulling off long drives, you really may be playing right into what the Eagles want. Because they won't throw into that space, they'll run into it, for like five yards a pop, because that's what they do best.

Anyway, at this point you know what you're getting from me. I ride or die with this Birds team. And I like the matchup.

Ooh, one thing I will say though if you like KC. The second half of this game may be something to watch. Because although the Eagles haven't needed to be great in a lot of second halves this year, they genuinely haven't been great in second halves this year. Usually because they outscore everyone in the 2nd quarter by so much, but still.

Meanwhile, I've mentioned this before, but I don't see a lot of adjustments from Andy Reid as games go on. So there's a chance this thing goes into half 13-10 and still ends 34-27 because the Eagles can't stop anyone and KC won't adjust and it just goes back and forth.

Lol bout that animal picks. I been there many times Joe, I just can’t take all the stupid generated story lines, listening to every bobble head giving their thoughts, I even avoided the typical shows I listen to most weeks just cause I have no interest hearing their thoughts or the redic story lines, or god forbid someone I think a total idiot agrees w me and makes me start second guessing. Going forward my goal will to be hearing as little coverage as possible leading up to the game cause this week was far more enjoyable than the many years I took it all in! End of the day I talked it out the few games after the champ ship games, occasionally during week would revisit and make sure I still feel same way. I don’t think anything good can come of 2 weeks of combing over shit, we watched these teams all year, we know every bit at much the morons on tv/radio, we knew the instant the championship games were over who we liked. Think long think wrong. Information overlaid doesn’t do me any good as I already know these teams from watching all year as well I will before listening to 100 different opinions thru the week.,

One other prop thing. I didn't play this, but mid-week the Eagles activated Greg Ward for this game. That makes the over 2.5 players to attempt a pass significantly more live than it was before. Ward is probably the only Eagles who could throw the ball today without an injury to QB1.

Back