Super Bowl Discussion Thread: Eagles vs. Chiefs

I had to post this...just too good. Have a laugh.

328097489_737580911010973_5207528692809670646_n-jpg.304522

9ers quit trying to sack him and just built a wall around him to keep him in the pocket and he couldn't pull the trigger on anything. Ryans may have dropped the blue print.

Something torn in his shoulder and they just keeping it to themselves? It been over a month and sure don’t look like he throwing ball nearly as well as before injury. Im no expert but they were hitting bombs on ppl most the year, AJ brown longest catch in playoffs 12 yards?!?!? Something ain’t right.

At the time of the Josh Johnson injury:

Philly 160 yards SF 138 yards

29 yard gain on 4th down should have been negated and SF has the ball with decent position.

Niners down 14-7 with a chance to double dip and Johnson just drops the snap.

After injury? Sure thing, you can’t pay any attention to what happened as they knew SF could no longer pass and they ran out the clock essentially.

But prior? Not seeing the domination at all. And I was on the Eagles. Not what I was watching and Philly was clearly “trying”.

Like I said, until we get injury reports, I don’t see how you can be definitive about anything. And I’ve been known to be decent at this football thing.

29 yard gain on 4th down should have been negated and SF has the ball with decent position.

After injury? Sure thing, you can’t pay any attention to what happened as they knew SF could no longer pass and they ran out the clock essentially.

But prior? Not seeing the domination at all. And I was on the Eagles. Not what I was watching and Philly was clearly “trying”.

Like I said, until we get injury reports, I don’t see how you can be definitive about anything. And I’ve been known to be decent at this football thing.

And that with Josh freaking Johnson we talking bout, he not even a legit backup, I don’t even know how long he been on the team? I’m assuming they brought him in after Jimmy g went down? To me that game about as useless it gets from a figuring out Philly standpoint. It not often you see a nfl game where one team has absolutely no threat of a forward pass! Of course the opposing defense is gonna put a assault on the LOS when that happens.

Great call on both title games.

And that with Josh freaking Johnson we talking bout, he not even a legit backup, I don’t even know how long he been on the team? I’m assuming they brought him in after Jimmy g went down? To me that game about as useless it gets from a figuring out Philly standpoint. It not often you see a nfl game where one team has absolutely no threat of a forward pass! Of course the opposing defense is gonna put a assault on the LOS when that happens.

Well said. 0 to read into that game. Other than the fact that after the 9ers had 0 chance to compete without Purdy they continued to force a few punts and seemed to have Hurts schemed rather well before penalties and a fumble off the face of perhaps the 200th best QB in the league threw in the towel. A drive before he got knocked out of the game which didn’t even matter at that point.

Shady, Eagle fanboy summarizes that game up very well here.

Lol I’m still laughing at the notion that a game can be stolen when you :

Have more yards
More yards per play
More sacks
Win the turnover battle
Have a TD taken off the board for holding

Cincy had the ball twice in the 4th quarter with a chance to take the lead and punted both times. After the grounding, the got a first down and kept moving. They still punted.

They lost.
More yards is going to happen when you get drives extended by penalty
More yards per play is also a product of opportunity to a degree. If you stop Mahomes and then he gets more chances, you tire on the drive more and it gets that much harder to make stops.
More sacks - ok. Bengals oline is terrible.
they won the turnover battle - usually a contributing factor to the better team not winning
TD nullified by holding - yep. 4 pt mistake. just like the 3 pt mistake that the bengal made pushing Mahomes so late.

They lost. It's over. They were defeated and we will have to agree to disagree about the officiating in the game. I dislike the Bengals for some reason. I started the game cheering for the Chiefs and ended the game cheering for the Bengals because the officiating was so bad and I despise that. Credit to the Chiefs defense which has won them the last two playoff games when their offense has not been their normal selves and for being super tough when knowing their offense was depleted in personnel in the 4th quarter. I thought they did a good job in helping them win against the Jaguars (credit to your head coach outperforming the other head coach for that win).

If the Chiefs win the super bowl this year then you really just have to give Andy and Patrick severe kudos because the roster isn't super bowl winning caliber and they just play harder, execute better, play call better and with Mahomes they even improvise better (when he can actually walk).

Hopefully it is a good game and they win. I have them +450.

You are one of the best NFL cappers around (and i am not) but I disagree with you about the game this past weekend.

As a starting point, what I keep thinking about is I'm seeing alot of focusing on the games last week and the playoffs in general. For me this is a distraction. Yup, the Eagles had a cupcake schedule all year and dominated. So, we throw in a game versus the Bills and they lose 30-20 and a game versus the Chargers and they win 30-20... does that change who they are or their personnel?

As far as the road to the Super Bowl, sure the Chiefs got some nice calls their way. But the bigger part of this is the personnel and the Bengals OL being trash which was the one flag I had to bet KC (I went CIN for other reasons). Starting simple, will the Chiefs have this same success? Unlikely. Eagles are potentially the best OL in league (Dickerson out?) and flip side the Eagles by all accounts should get to Mahomes. There is nothing to say otherwise.

Yea the Eagles fucked up the shitty Giants. They fucked them up. It wasn't some close game and indicative of the Eagles being "frauds". They dominated. As far as the Niners. Who knows what would of happened but it was clear they were going to get to the QB...ALOT. Purdy went down and it was clear for the next 1-2 drives the Niners D stepped up because they had to, flip side the Eagles defnese looked like they chilled. Then McCaffrey scored and they woke up.

Easy to look at the last few games, point to cupcake schedules, but when looking purely at personnel the only clear advantage (to me) is Mahomes over Hurts and Reid over Sirianni. Can Mahomes win as the only advantage - of course. But the more complete team is Eagles.

Chiefs had one drive extended by a penalty for (checks notes) a total of one yard.

NFL officiating has been brutal for a long time, we all know this.

I come back to the same thing each time: Burrow had the ball with a chance to take the lead twice in the late stages of the game. They punted twice.

The only call I thought was questionable, was the possible block in the back on the punt. Football Zebras explained on Twitter that it was not a block in the back.

Game one I thought the officiating was worse than game two. I’m hopeful it’s not the case in the SB despite Cheffers’ crew throwing the most flags all season

As a starting point, what I keep thinking about is I'm seeing alot of focusing on the games last week and the playoffs in general. For me this is a distraction. Yup, the Eagles had a cupcake schedule all year and dominated. So, we throw in a game versus the Bills and they lose 30-20 and a game versus the Chargers and they win 30-20... does that change who they are or their personnel?
As far as the road to the Super Bowl, sure the Chiefs got some nice calls their way. But the bigger part of this is the personnel and the Bengals OL being trash which was the one flag I had to bet KC (I went CIN for other reasons). Starting simple, will the Chiefs have this same success? Unlikely. Eagles are potentially the best OL in league (Dickerson out?) and flip side the Eagles by all accounts should get to Mahomes. There is nothing to say otherwise.

Yea the Eagles fucked up the shitty Giants. They fucked them up. It wasn't some close game and indicative of the Eagles being "frauds". They dominated. As far as the Niners. Who knows what would of happened but it was clear they were going to get to the QB...ALOT. Purdy went down and it was clear for the next 1-2 drives the Niners D stepped up because they had to, flip side the Eagles defnese looked like they chilled. Then McCaffrey scored and they woke up.

Easy to look at the last few games, point to cupcake schedules, but when looking purely at personnel the only clear advantage (to me) is Mahomes over Hurts and Reid over Sirianni. Can Mahomes win as the only advantage - of course. But the more complete team is Eagles.

Agree w most, I’m not sure eagles will get to mahomes a ton, strength vs strength, eagles obviously get to the qb as well or better than anyone but Im pretty sure kc has the #1 rated pass blocking oline, I’d assume mahomes at least as mobile he was last week if not little more which his ability to navigate or break the pocket im sure helps the oline ability to protect him. All the bs officiating aside that was pretty much the difference in the bengals game, kc mostly did a good job protecting mahomes and bengals oline got wrecked in all the big moments:

(last thing about cincy, they really need to bring in a good oline coach and/or learn better protection schemes, I know they were missing guys but the ones who were out none rated very well in the 1st place which why it didn’t concern me as much it probably should have. Bottom line burrow been sacked more than any qb the last 2 years and hit a ton more, how the fuvk they let Jones go 1 on 1 with some turn style tackle on their last 3rd down is beyond me, You gotta get some kinda help over there!!! That was the difference in game, they had 2 possessions in the 4th of a tie game and couldn’t protect to get anything going, the end).

The reality in all of this, it is a coin flip game, no different to me than CIN/KC. I will not in any imagination say the Eagles will win, or should win. I see this as a coin flip and end of the day with Mahomes most games as a best case are a coin flip against him.

The reality in all of this, it is a coin flip game, no different to me than CIN/KC. I will not in any imagination say the Eagles will win, or should win. I see this as a coin flip and end of the day with Mahomes most games as a best case are a coin flip against him.

The way I see it if it is close late I’ll happily take the plus on Mahomes. The difference I see in this game compared to the afc championship game (not from a X’s and O’s Just in general) is there feels like way way more variance here. I dunno bout you but I had absolutely no doubt cincy/kc was coming down to the 4th qrtr and probably who had the ball last.

While I agree this feels like a coin flip/either could win I also could see this going a whole lot of different ways, not sure it a given it be a close game. there obviously a path for Philly winning by margin, they been doing it most the year and throughout playoffs , doesn’t seem likely they boat race mahomes and chiefs but it possible. kc annoys me with the way they rarely win by margin/keep teams in games but if they flipped eagles script and got out to a early lead the game all a sudden gets put on Hurts suspect shoulder having to throw them back in it that could get little ugly too.

Quite apparent that Bengals rushing game vs the Bills was the anomaly. If you look at their season they couldn't run the ball. Jacksonville refused to run it for some reason but averaged over 7 a carry I think on the Chiefs. That is going to be tough because I think Eagles will stick with it. Both teams defensive strengths are vs the pass imo but I trust Eagles to run it more effectively. Two week gap is a HUGE advantage here for KC to get healthy. Tremendous advantage at QB if Mahomes is healthy.

The early lead comes with an advantage in this game because both teams rush defenses have been protected by leads. Eagles with greater ability to run the ball effectively to close a game, and the Chiefs are better equipped to score late passing if behind. Interesting game,.

Quite apparent that Bengals rushing game vs the Bills was the anomaly. If you look at their season they couldn't run the ball. Jacksonville refused to run it for some reason but averaged over 7 a carry I think on the Chiefs. That is going to be tough because I think Eagles will stick with it. Both teams defensive strengths are vs the pass imo but I trust Eagles to run it more effectively. Two week gap is a HUGE advantage here for KC to get healthy. Tremendous advantage at QB if Mahomes is healthy.

The early lead comes with an advantage in this game because both teams rush defenses have been protected by leads. Eagles with greater ability to run the ball effectively to close a game, and the Chiefs are better equipped to score late passing if behind. Interesting game,.
Chiefs D in the postseason gave up 6 a carry. Philly defensive statistics matching up with some of the elite defenses of all time.
The ankle sprain Mahomes has will need more like 3 months than 2 weeks to heal. I’m guessing his ankle sprain will always be a tweak a way from being reinjured. These don’t really go away when getting hit.
I see 2 ways this game is a blowout. Hurts is forced to be pass oriented and Spags orchatrates a defensive scheme much like when his Giants defense shutdown Brady twice in the Super Bowl. The other is Mahomes getting chased around by this relentless defense and not able to escape because of his injury and not able to get any zip behind his throws while on the run.

I’m not an expert at this stuff but the feel I also get is that if you like KC take them or tease them now. If you like Philly, I’d wait. I think this drifts back toward the other side as the weeks go on. Worst case, it’s not going any higher for Philly.

Just my opinion.

That's a pretty significant advantage imo maybe even more then qb.....chiefs also didnt face many top rush teams this year either.....the run game makes the pass game easier. In the biggest games the team that wins the like of scrimmage wins the game

It all points to the eagles....more talented...more physical lines...more explosive wideouts......if there is a blowout the eagles are much higher probability to blowout the chiefs then vice versa imo...the chiefs can't even blowout denver anyhow

Like everyone else....it's eagles obviously but yet the qb and coach have us thinking we can't play this side...

Leading to me to really thinking over is the best play.....eagles gonna score and chiefs gonna score.....I like it...

If I were to do a teaser I'd tease eagles.....If they lose its a close game imo

A total and eagles tease seem like the play to me....if line gets to pickem and u can grab Philly plus 7 and o 43

The run game clearly more important to Philly, they do it well but for my money I’d take Pacheco over any of eagles backs. Let’s not forget you can absolutely run on Philly d as well, just cause kc doesn’t always do it don’t mean they can’t. I really expect Reid w 2 weeks will have plenty of things figured out to work against eagles d Dallas scored 40 on, packers scored 33 on, lions scored 35 on (at beginning the year) those were only half way decent offenses I recall them playing if you take away niners without a qb. Hell, Washington found a way to score 30+ in the 2nd meeting. I think the league is historically bad if we calling eagles d historically good:

Last edited:
The run game clearly more important to Philly, they do it well but for my money I’d take Pacheco over any of eagles backs. Let’s not forget you can absolutely run on Philly d as well, just cause kc doesn’t always do it don’t mean they can’t. I really expect Reid w 2 weeks will have plenty of things figured out to work against eagles d Dallas scored 40 on, packers scored 33 on, lions scored 35 on (at beginning the year) those were only half way decent offenses I recall them playing if you take away niners without a qb. Hell, Washington found a way to score 30+ in the 2nd meeting. I think the league is historically bad if we calling eagles d historically good:
So u like the over best ?

So u like the over best ?

Lol, not exactly but it pretty rare im super confident in a over. My 1st thought was under, I dunno if I still lean that way but if I did like over I dunno if I would take before game or wait for live? I feel like both teams pretty good getting early points but my perception is most these SBs start off slowly. I honestly havnt put enough effort into it to say yet. I seriously doubt I’m gonna have much on this game, been putting my time in money back into nba this week. Eventually I’ll sit down for few hours and go thru all the props and see where I think score be but I doubt it be anything that makes me all that excited.

This game nothing like last year to me where I thought rams had a exploitable edge plus I was heavily invested in beating bengals at that point cause I didn’t believe a team w that crappy a oline could win the whole thing, lol. This year I have no such convictions other than believing the afc was worlds better than the nfc, that doesn’t mean kc is better than Philly tho. I don’t think Philly as good as some, I think I’m good w mahomes and plus money most games, I don’t think im confident enough to bet a amount that would sting to lose which of course means it won’t be that thrilling to win but I try to only take shots when I think my chances way better than odds suggest.

I’ll never understand why he didn’t challenge that pass to smith on the 1st drive? Who cares if you have time to see the replay? The fact smith told his team to hurry up and snap it was enough to throw the flag, he clearly knew he didn’t catch it! That went from 0-0 niners ball to 7-0. Made no sense to me, I was yelling to throw flag the whole time eagles were running up to snap it.
thank you. Had Philly ML so was happy. But Smith totally gave away that he didn't catch it. I couldn't believe Shanny didn't challenge. All time blunder by HC. That play was huge.

thank you. Had Philly ML so was happy. But Smith totally gave away that he didn't catch it. I couldn't believe Shanny didn't challenge. All time blunder by HC. That play was huge.

Once purdy went down it probably didn’t matter but yes it was all time stupid at the time. The fox crew wasn’t any better those retards didht say anurhing bout it till after the commercial and seeing 20 replays. I thought it was just common damn sense if I see wr yelling to hurry and snap especially a play that big on 4th down I’m taking the gamble and throwing the flag, the risk reward for throwing the flag is all reward. I watched the laker game last night and at the end Brunson drew a game saving charge on AD, it was clearly a charge but lakers still challenged cause if there a 5% chance it gets changed it worth the try (another subject but how stupid the nba now let’s fouls be challenged and slowed down and examined at 100 angles, that sucks imo).

I even thought afterwords guys are gonna have to learn to start doing that randomly on plays they make cause it such a give away right now. Anytime that happens and it was a important play you gotta throw the flag I think.

I would like to be the slick mofo who the 1st to have my team hurry to line and draw the challenge but I actually caught bell! I would get a huge kick out of that! Lol

Brady calling the SB would have saved us from more Olsen.

Ugh

Oh if that would been able to happen I’d be rejoicing his timing! I dunno if he be good in the both but I can’t believe Olsen is fox A team, he not a A team guy, he a Texans/falcons regional game coverage guy at best!

Once purdy went down it probably didn’t matter but yes it was all time stupid at the time. The fox crew wasn’t any better those retards didht say anurhing bout it till after the commercial and seeing 20 replays. I thought it was just common damn sense if I see wr yelling to hurry and snap especially a play that big on 4th down I’m taking the gamble and throwing the flag, the risk reward for throwing the flag is all reward. I watched the laker game last night and at the end Brunson drew a game saving charge on AD, it was clearly a charge but lakers still challenged cause if there a 5% chance it gets changed it worth the try (another subject but how stupid the nba now let’s fouls be challenged and slowed down and examined at 100 angles, that sucks imo).

I even thought afterwords guys are gonna have to learn to start doing that randomly on plays they make cause it such a give away right now. Anytime that happens and it was a important play you gotta throw the flag I think.
Yeah probably right - still don't understand why they didn't put CMac in at QB and just run 11 on 11 - maybe sneak in a pass. But I also had Philly O 23.5 and think I was lucky. The 1st TD that shouldn't have been, the Johnson fumble before half and TD, and then the roughing the kicker penalty and TD at beginning of 2H - 3 TDs there that were a little lucky.

Why don't you like Olsen? I think he's pretty good....

Olsen is the ultimate regional guy. A non national TV game maybe the 7 win Seahawks vs the 3 win Rams. Perfect.

Just doesn’t seem to have the Romo, Aikman, etc allure to his presence. Needs to do something with his hair too.

I don’t hate him as much as others but every fan I know texts me saying these 2 blow - him and Burkhart.

Yeah probably right - still don't understand why they didn't put CMac in at QB and just run 11 on 11 - maybe sneak in a pass. But I also had Philly O 23.5 and think I was lucky. The 1st TD that shouldn't have been, the Johnson fumble before half and TD, and then the roughing the kicker penalty and TD at beginning of 2H - 3 TDs there that were a little lucky.

That was weird to not run wildcat. Makes me think CMC wasn’t 100% and the punishment would have been not worth it.

That was weird to not run wildcat. Makes me think CMC wasn’t 100% and the punishment would have been not worth it.
Agree - he had missed the Wed practice I think. So obviously banged up a little. But think he can pass some too if I'm not mistaken. Lining him and Debo up in the wildcat and just pounding it mano mano every down for the rest of game would have been interesting. throwback to Switzer and Wishbone days - you know what's coming every play now stop it.

CMC never 100.%, think he has some years left on that pretty huge contract (for a rb), agree they prob figured wasn’t worth the risk to him as odds are that wasn’t gonna be enough to win the game, shanny was trying all kinds of stuff but when there no threat of a pass eagles were just assaulting the Los, can’t imagine either safety was worried bout anyone running a route past 10 yards, lol,

Agree - he had missed the Wed practice I think. So obviously banged up a little. But think he can pass some too if I'm not mistaken. Lining him and Debo up in the wildcat and just pounding it mano mano every down for the rest of game would have been interesting. throwback to Switzer and Wishbone days - you know what's coming every play now stop it.

There kinda a reason nobody runs the option In nfl, lol. Wildcat can be effective for a play or 2 but that shit got figured out years ago after that 4-5 week stretch somebody made it work, who was that? Dolphins maybe??

It really tough for me to say the run game destroyed niners when nobody averaged even 4ypc, it controlled a game niners had no chance, the amount of rushes was impressive but it was aided by fact niners offense couldn’t move the ball and by 7 freaking eagles 1st downs via penalty. The run game does concern me for kc d but im sure spags watching the same thing I’ve seen that hurts hasn’t thrown the ball well since coming back, gotta think he commits more guys to stopping the run and making hurts beat them throwing, im not sure he can.

I heard the nfl films guy say the same thing bout Hurts passing since the injury today, that made me feel confident I was correct in what I was seeing cause that dude does nothing but break down film. Of course all ya really gotta do is check out how short browns longest receptions been in playoffs to know something ain’t right. I dunno if his shoulder still hurt or if he just lost his mechanics while sitting? It not like he a naturally great thrower, he has had to work on that a ton so maybe that is it? Either way it seems obvious to me kc should commit however many guys is necessary to take away the run game numbers advantage, I think eagles need 200+ On the ground so don’t let them get it!!

There kinda a reason nobody runs the option In nfl, lol. Wildcat can be effective for a play or 2 but that shit got figured out years ago after that 4-5 week stretch somebody made it work, who was that? Dolphins maybe??
Yeah Miami sprung it on NE i think and kicked their ass. Agree it doesn't fly anymore. but sure as hell better than having purdy come out and hand off - waste of a body who could block. And no way philly prepared for it in depth. And the way philly tackled on CMs TD run it might have been interesting.

Anyone else think SF made a colossal mistake in only having 2 QBs? I haven't even heard this discussed but being two qb injuries away from having to basically forfeit doesn't seem to be a wise strategy in a playoff game.

Anyone else think SF made a colossal mistake in only having 2 QBs? I haven't even heard this discussed but being two qb injuries away from having to basically forfeit doesn't seem to be a wise strategy in a playoff game.

Agree but if Josh Johnson is your 2, who is really your 4, who the hell is your 5?

If it was a week later and Jimmy was cleared at 80%. They’re playing next week.

Agree but if Josh Johnson is your 2, who is really your 4, who the hell is your 5?

If it was a week later and Jimmy was cleared at 80%. They’re playing next week.
Last year's issue that came up in January was the OT rule.

This year, they'll need to address the roster numbers so teams can have another QB (4 total).

Josh Johnson being the backup was a huge problem, if that the best they could do for their 2nd can’t imagine what the next guy woulda been, lol.

Josh Johnson being the backup was a huge problem, if that the best they could do for their 2nd can’t imagine what the next guy woulda been, lol.
As long as the SF oline was gonna keep getting manhandled, it wouldn’t have mattered who was QB.
Not sure Ive seen an NFL oline get abused like this and everyone is focused on the QBs.
How many QBs have to get knocked out for SF?

Last edited:
As long as the SF oline was gonna kept getting manhandled, it wouldn’t have mattered who was QB.
Not sure Ive seen an NFL oline get abused like this and everyone is focused on the QBs.
How many QBs have to get knocked out for SF?

That cause we share a huge difference of opinion on whether or not that happens all game if Purdy playing. You can choose to believe eagles dline is lhistorically great, I don’t.. let’s see them wreck kc protection I’ll say I was wrong. How many sacks they actually have? 2 or 3? How many of those were on purdy? 1? they hit his arm while throwing a pass, maybe they deserve more credit for a fluke injury than im giving them, maybe beating up a bunch of crappy teams and one without a qb is better than I think. I certainly been wrong before but I don’t see the greatness when I look at what bunch of average or worse teams have scored on them and what a few decent teams have scored on them, I really don’t feel like eagles d any more special than bengals, they have a more talented individual pass rusher, I don’t think that gonna be a big problem for kc, I could be wrong but I’m convinced kc is the side, wouldn’t shock me I’f I lost tho. It would surprise me if they lost cause eagles were getting to mahomes over and over, I think it be more that eagles run game is dominant if they win, I’m fairly confident mahomes gonna have enough time to throw. I did see Dak throw for 350 on Philly after all, maybe that was a fluke? It possible.

For my money the only historically great thing about this game is mahomes and Reid, that enough for me. I might be selling eagles d short but I woulda played kc vs niners also so it could be how bad I feel the nfc was is hurting my perception? I dunno, I just know I can live with losing on mahomes more than I could watching him beat me cause I overvalued how good eagles d was. I woulda bet cincy vs either nfc team as well, just have to see what happens. Gotta stick w my convictions, honestly I don’t think circumstances behind eagles/niners would have mattered to me, I felt whomever won afc was the best team before either championship game was played and wouldn’t let one game change my opinion.

Last edited:
Back