NFL Rumor Mill

Just heard on fox sports 1460 that the rams are bringing in bart scott and the ravens center (blanking on name) today to try and work out contracts

Looks like Scott is going to NYC first and with Rex Ryan @ HC you would have to be surprised if he leaves without a contract.

BART SCOTT BOUND FOR BROADWAY Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2009, 7:09 a.m.

In the frenetic moments after midnight, there were conflicting reports as to the destination of Ravens linebacker Bart Scott.
Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com reported that Scott would join teammate Jason Brown with a visit to the Rams. Albert Breer of SportingNews.com reported on the PFT safe haven page at SportingNews.com that Scott would visit the Jets.
Breer now reports that Scott is en route to New York, and that the Jets are expected to make a “strong offer” for his services.
Citing an unnamed source, Breer reports that there’s a “good chance” Scott will sign with the Jets today.

Colts let Cato June's replacement walk, a portend to Cato rejoining Indy?

COLTS LET KEIAHO WALK

Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2009, 6:56 a.m.
In somewhat of a surprising move that might be more indicative of the team’s cap problems than their attitude toward the player, the Indianapolis Colts have not issued a restricted free agent tender to starting weakside linebacker Freddie Keiaho, per Paul Kuharsky of ESPN.com.
It makes Keiaho instantly a free agent.
Keiaho, a third-round pick in 2006, started 25 games in three seasons, and was the successor to Cato June after he left for Tampa in 2007.
June was cut two days ago by the Bucs.
Keiaho’s backup, Tyjuan Hagler, also is an unrestricted free agent.
So now there are four Tampa Two weakside linebackers with starting experience on the market — Keiaho, Hagler, June, and Derrick Brooks.

Ravens losing Scott and Ray Lewis?

Ravens lose Scott to Jets; Lewis gone, too? Posted: February 27th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Bart Scott, New York Jets, Ray Lewis
As if it weren’t bad enough to lose linebacker Bart Scott, now the Ravens are in serious jeopardy of losing free-agent linebacker Ray Lewis, too.
Sources close to Lewis were adamant Friday that one of the game’s greatest defensive players will not return to Baltimore and his career with the team is over.
For some reason, Lewis has been rubbed the wrong way in the lengthy negotiations that have occurred between he and the Ravens. Now, Lewis is determined to move on, even if there is no obvious suitor.
The Jets are expected to spend about $8 million per year on Scott, the Dallas Cowboys have insisted they will not be signing any high-profile free agents, and there are no other teams that, at the moment, jump out as potential landing spots for Lewis.
Thus, one of Lewis’ confidants was asked if it were possible that the Ravens now could change their linebacker’s mind. “Not if you knew Ray like I knew Ray,” was his response. He even mentioned retirement as a possibility ahead of returning to Baltimore and insisted it was not a negotiationg ploy. “That’s Ray,” the source said.
For now, Lewis plans to take a couple of days, ponder his plans and then come up with his gameplan. But his gameplan now does not include the Ravens, according to those who know him. Thus Baltimore could wind up losing Lewis to another team or retirement, Scott to the Jets, center Jason Brown to the Rams (Brown is scheduled to visit St. Louis) and cornerback Corey Ivy to the Jets.
Change came to this country in January and it looks like it’s coming to Baltimore as well.

T.J. says he'd like to play for the Vikings

By CHIP SCOGGINS and JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune staff writers
February 27, 2009
Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said during a TV interview early Friday morning that he would like to play for the Vikings.
Houshmandzadeh, the top free agent wide receiver on the market, told ESPN that the Vikings are one of a handful teams that he would be interested in playing for next season. He mentioned Pro Bowl running back Adrian Peterson as a main reason because he would face a lot of single coverages.
"I'm gonna win 98.6 percent of the time," Houshmandzadeh said in the interview.
The Vikings are believed to be in the market for a wide receiver, but Houshmandzadeh might be too expensive, especially after giving Bernard Berrian a six-year, $42 million contract with $16 million guaranteed last offseason.
Houshmandzadeh's agent, Kennard McGuire, could not be reached for comment. It is believed that Houshmandzadeh is looking for a deal upwards of $10 million per season. It has been reported that as many as eight teams could be in the bidding for the receiver with the Eagles, Giants and Bears leading the way.

Lots of talented vets leaving the the AFC Central ....Read that Ray Ray was mad that Brown went for Jets visit before he got the chance . Lewis may end up staying in Balt because money not being thrwn at him or retires

Interesting to see what kind of draft pick they got for him...looks like the new regime in Cleveland is cleaning house of all malcontents...Braylon the next to go?

don't tease me with braylon being the next to go haha.

good riddance kellen....incredibly awesome talent that sucks as a teammate and fucked the browns over with his stupidity. have fun screaming at the tampa offense every third play you dbag. stupid move by the bucs; do they have any fuckin clue what they're doing this year?

Great move by browns. Tampa says they are going young and release 5 veteran players, then trade DRAFT PICKS for a whiny bitch of a player.

I don't challenge the talent he has, but tampa has a TON of holes now. they might win 4 games this year, and winslow will be bitching again.

And then tampa just gets older. What a joke

Well Joe, i think Winslow would of left anyway at least you get some draft picks for him

Probably true. Still, he really helped that offense. Especially when Braylon decides to have one of those days where he can't hold onto the ball.

stupid move by the bucs; do they have any fuckin clue what they're doing this year?

Short answer, no. Now maybe this is all part of a larger plan we don't see, but right now they look to be sinking like a rock in the hopes of shooting back up just as fast, but who's to say when.

Add another problem TE to the mix down there, by the way, as if they couldn't learn from Jerramy Stevens.

I'm sure this has been commented on, but I also am very interested in the Haynesworth to Washington move.

I am not convinced he's going to play hard now that he's gotten paid. He got a ton of guaranteed money, now he has every reason to be fat and happy and in a team of me-first guys I think it'll be just that much easier for him to fade into obscurity.

I'm sure this has been commented on, but I also am very interested in the Haynesworth to Washington move.

I am not convinced he's going to play hard now that he's gotten paid. He got a ton of guaranteed money, now he has every reason to be fat and happy and in a team of me-first guys I think it'll be just that much easier for him to fade into obscurity.

I couldn't agree more

Agree 100%...Snyder keeps showing he knows Z-E-R-O about building a successful NFL franchise.

From Cleveland.com:

First indications are one pick is at least a second-rounder in the 2009 draft. The other is supposed to be in 2010, but teams were not releasing any of this information. I was not able to get total confirmation on this

Let's assume this is true. If so, I think this changes what the Browns do at #5 in the draft. First, I think Aaron Curry's stock has gone up and with Smith's stock falling so much based on his no-show at the combine, I don't think Curry's going to be available. So while the Browns could take a shot on someone defensive, they could just as easily trade down and get that guy later.

Or what they could do is take Crabtree, Maclin, or Moreno at five.

Because what just happened to the Browns is that they lost a huge component of their passing game. Worse, we don't know which Braylon is going to show up this year. If they get another second round pick (they have no third, fifth, or seventh this year) they could then go defense with both those picks in the second round--or use one on someone like Shonn Greene who's projected to be there.

Because, again, what the Browns just did was to significantly downgrade their offense. So even if in the long run this is a good thing, in the short term it means they have to add talent to both sides of the ball.

i don't think there's any way in hell they should/will go offense in the first round. if they can find a partner to trade with for anything reasonable, even if the deal isn't as good as it usually would be---they should do it.

i will say one thing about kellen---i hated him for all the dumb shit that he did, but when it came to actually doing his job when he was out there---he was awesome in a system that didn't even use him properly. it amazed me how seldom they ran motion with him to create matchups. he should have been the focal point of the offense every game adn he wasn't---could be because he missed a lot of time or he didn't have good chemistry or want good chemistry, but we wasted a lot of his talent and he still had a couple of good years. he's had to have lost a step though with all these injuries.

and if that report is true that's bullshit....they should have gotten a first round pick for him.

i hated him for all the dumb shit that he did, but when it came to actually doing his job when he was out there---he was awesome in a system that didn't even use him properly.

I agree completely. They rarely used him right.

Thing is, if they're not going to go offense, and if Curry's not there at five, they should trade down. I'm not sure who's available otherwise that's worth a pick that high.

And, if they did get a two and picks in 2010, that pick is decent and you could go two defensive guys in round two plus one offensive stud from pick number five.

My problem is that, as of right now, we don't have much of a running game, and our passing game has just been cut in half.

you that high on curry huh, joe? i do not want him. i don't want orakpo either. i'd rather trade down and grab tyson jackson, everette brown, michael johnson, or of course malcolm jenkins. i like all those guys better than curry or orakpo. i have seen so much variance in mocks this year though i don't think we'll have any goddamn clue what teams will be doing, so it'll be tough to trade down imo.

It's not so much that I'm high on Curry, it's that everybody in the league seems to be.

From what my TV tells me, he aced the combines both in his workouts and in the interviews. That comes on top of him already being accepted as the top defensive guy in the draft and a good character guy.

So whereas before you had something that might have looked like:

Stafford
Smith (from Alabama)
Sanchez
Crabtree
Curry

You now have something that could very well look like:
Stafford
One of the OL guys, it varies by the mock draft you read (maybe Curry)
Curry (or Sanchez or Monroe from VA)
Crabtree (or Macklin or maybe Curry)

Then the Browns. And I agree with you, I don't know if an Orakpo is worth it that high, Everet Brown from FSU may be and he could bookend that line making it perhaps pretty impressive, but I think you could trade down a few spots and still likelyt get him or trade way down and supplement the LB corps.

Word is Nate Washington (WR - Pitt) is going to sign with Detroit.

Which is hardly as cool as the fact that the Sporting News is suggesting his new nickname be 'Starscream.'

It's not so much that I'm high on Curry, it's that everybody in the league seems to be.

From what my TV tells me, he aced the combines both in his workouts and in the interviews. That comes on top of him already being accepted as the top defensive guy in the draft and a good character guy.

i am one of those people who hate the combine, but i get the fact that he didn't really have to test out at all, or could have showed up in average shape and it's a good sign that he dominated. i love that he is a good character guy, good teammate, smart, well-disciplined, has no glaring weaknesses, love how he was coached and the program he comes from, adn especially that chip that he's had on his shoulder for a long time now. what scares me is how unproven he is at rushing the passer and i don't think you just throw him at the mike and say you're the leader of the defense. and what else scares me is that he was projected as a 3rd rounder last year---that's quite a difference in picking the guy at 5 this year. and this is a very small reason and barely worth mentioning, but i keep reading that story about how his mom's house was foreclosed on and how he's from a poor family etc, and i can't help but think of vernon davis---who definitely seemed to be a very high character guy and still is, who was in a similar situation but i think in a way saw himself getting the money and being drafted that high as the end of his journey, and hasn't lived up to his potential. i'm sure there's been a lot more people that have dealt with it differently than he did, but it's still at least a small part of the risk to take the guy that high i think. how different is it going from seeing your family not be able to afford your mortgage to being handed $30M guaranteed? i think he's an excellent player, but i wouldn't draft him at 5, especially in a draft with all this talent at lb. kokinis was a part of a study comparing guys that were able to accomplish double digit sacks in one year and how that translated to be successful in the nfl and the results were an overwhelming positive correlation---i think this has to be have some sort of an impact on what the browns will do with their pick, meaning they'd rather take a chance on a guy that has been able to wrap up more qbs. browns have plenty of guys on their roster that CAN'T rush the passer right now.

don't know if it's been posted, but the browns are also rumored to be interested in jim leonhard with the ravens (who won't be raven next year) with landry coming back which would be an upgrade at safety. a small upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless.

I like the Jim Leonhard thing, I hadn't heard it, good post.

I also agree with a lot of what you said about Curry, but here's where I net out. The Browns need a hard-hitting, high-motor, solid tackler at LB. Preferably a good leader and great character guy, but you know it's not like all of those traits in one guy are easy to find.

But the Browns need to make tackles. The reality is, assuming Rodgers can get over himself and these 'slights,' they can clog up the middle and create opportunities for their LBs to get into the backfield. Now those guys just need to tackle.

Open-field tackling, or the lack thereof has been sort of a pet peeve of mine, so take this with a grain of salt, but if we can find that LB, be him Curry or Clay Matthews Jr. much lower in the draft, I will be happy. Because the truth is there's a way you have to play in this division and right now the Browns don't play it near as well as the Steelers and Ravens and that's why they're sitting in third place in the division every time we get to December.

The Broncos sign not only RB Correll Buckhalter from the Eagles, but they sign RB J.J. Arrington from the Cardinals.

from rotoworld.com

The Bucs are reportedly interested in making a trade for Raiders RB Michael Bush.

Bush needs to find some, any way out of Oakland, where they're trying to turn him into a fullback. The Bucs would likely give him a chance to compete for substantial early-down carries. Tampa Bay is also installing a zone-blocking scheme, which Bush became familiar with as a Raider.

I dont want 2 trade Bush he can be special but he has a bad attitude not a team guy.

only way i do it is for a 2nd rd pick and a 5th or 6th rd pick I think he does have that much value.

from rotoworld.com

The Bucs are reportedly interested in making a trade for Raiders RB Michael Bush.

Bush needs to find some, any way out of Oakland, where they're trying to turn him into a fullback. The Bucs would likely give him a chance to compete for substantial early-down carries. Tampa Bay is also installing a zone-blocking scheme, which Bush became familiar with as a Raider.

They remember when he torched them to knock them out of the playoffs in 08.

Word out of TB is that the Bucs aren't done with Cleveland yet. Because Winslow's biggest year came with Derek Anderson and because TB doesn't have a true starter . . .

Now, here's the interesting part of this from the Cleveland side. The Browns were going to trade Winslow. It was just going to happen (so says every Browns' reporter), Winslow wanted a new deal, the Browns weren't going to give it to him so he was done there.

So what if you trade him to TB, a team that's already been rumored to have interest in Anderson, and create an even bigger reason for the Bucs to trade for Anderson.

I'll say this, well, first, this is obviously total conjecture on my part and me giving the Browns' organization the benefit of the doubt of being smart which they've done nothing to warrant. But if this was their plan, them talking down Quinn last week ends up being pretty genius.

Because if you're going to pry a QB away from a team that's "lukewarm" on its other option, your offer better be pretty good.

Bottom line, if the next move in this game is the Browns getting a higher or an additional draft pick for trading Derek Anderson, I will be very impressed.

Chances of this happening:
Yes +340
No -650

But I'm a fan, so, you know . . .

Jim Leonhard is visiting the Jets.

Think about that lineup, Bart Scott, Leonhard, Kerry Rhodes (S), Revis (CB), plus Shaun Ellis and Kris Jenkins on the line. That could be very impressive if well-coached--and their coach is Rex Ryan from the Ravens.

Giants

TJ Is there #1 target

If he wants 9 or 10 mil a year, he won't be a giant...

Reese doesn't like to break the bank for anyone... that's more than they were paying Plax and more than they upped Jacobs pay in his new contract extension to.

If Housh wants to be a Giant, he'd have to come down in price.... alot.

I'm not sure how anybody would really justify paying Housh $9/$10 million a year. Of course, over-paying in free agency happens all the time.

I think someone out there will pay it... just not the Giants...

that's why we were outbid by the Redskins for Haynesworth... no surprise or big deal there...

I believe Reese is getting ready to finalize a deal with Falcons LB Michael Boley... something like a 5 year thing for like 20-25 mil or something.

and he has the boys DE Chris Canty coming in for a visit on Saturday as well as DE Rocky Bernard and DE Antonio Smith also coming in the next couple of days for visits...

that's just how Reese does things... avoid overpaying in free agency and go for those less popular, less pricey, blue collar workers for depth to keep our starters fresh as much as possible.

Not that he only goes for blue collar guys... he just tries to avoid overpaying on those that are not.

If he wants 9 or 10 mil a year, he won't be a giant...

Reese doesn't like to break the bank for anyone... that's more than they were paying Plax and more than they upped Jacobs pay in his new contract extension to.

If Housh wants to be a Giant, he'd have to come down in price.... alot.

Rumors say TJ would take a paycut to come to Philly. But another rumor also say he's asking for WAY too much money. He's the only WR out there (aside from Boldin via trade), so that helps him. But he's 32, and he has never really been a true #1 WR. I don't think anyone will pay him what he wants unless it's a terrible desperate team like the Lions. I think he stays with Cinncy, who will pay him the most.

and he has the boys DE Chris Canty coming in for a visit on Saturday as well as DE Rocky Bernard and DE Antonio Smith also coming in the next couple of days for visits...

I want no part of Rocky Bernard in a Giants' uniform with the rest of that line. Please, God, no.

I want no part of Rocky Bernard in a Giants' uniform with the rest of that line. Please, God, no.

As long as Eli's best target is Kevin Boss, I'm not afraid of the Giants offense.

As long as Eli's best target is Kevin Boss, I'm not afraid of the Giants offense

Yeah, very good point, no Plex = no beat the Eagles.

As long as Eli's best target is Kevin Boss, I'm not afraid of the Giants offense.

I don't think his best target is a TE who was 5th on the team last year in receptions (33) and had under 400 total receiving yards... he may have been a good target in the redzone with 6 tds, but that's as far as I'd go calling him 'Eli's best target'...

and let's not forget who was the number one rushing team in the league last year...

as long as Jacobs is there... be afraid... BE VERY AFRAID... ;)

The Cardinals lose DL Antonio Smith to the Texans (that could be an impressive DL).

The Niners lose WR Bryant Johnson to the Lions.

The Cowboys sign Keith Brooking LB (formerly of Atlanta), basically confirming that Ray Lewis ain't wearin' no star on his helmet this year.

boley.gif

bernard.gif

Wow, that Giants' D-line just gets better and better.

The Ravens lose their center who the Rams make the highest paid O-lineman in the game (Jason Brown).

Kurt Warner's going to visit the Niners (go drive up that price, Kurt).

Back