NFL Rumor Mill

I actually think Quinn might have a future, I just think this new f**king regime has been given a blank check and is going to burn the place down just for the hell of it.

goddamn as much as i hate quinn; i think it would be the worst move i've seen in a long time to trade quinn and rogers for cutler---then again i hate cutler even more

I agree with you, BWay, except I don't hate Quinn.

The Jets sign S Jim Leonhard. The Jets defense got much, much better this off-season.

Good question. I thought it was, but here's what the Internet says now (from PFT):

After nearly reneging on a verbal agreement to join the New York Jets, Ravens free-agent safety Jim Leonhard has officially agreed to terms.

Or has he? (Insert short burst of ominous music here.)

The news comes from Adam Schefter of NFL Network, who says it’s a three-year deal.

Word broke earlier in the day of Leonhard’s verbal agreement. And then the Broncos got involved.

Who, Leonhard? Maybe. Mostly both these teams are where all the players from my teams seem to be going and it bugs me. Especially since I really dislike the Broncos.

Also, I think the Jets are providing a very good example of how to use free agency to your advantage while the Eagles (and Browns) sit at the other end of the spectrum.

The Jets new staff obviously had a plan that supplemented what the Jets already had on their roster and it looks like what they're doing is filling very specific needs with the right talent for those needs.

Meanwhile the Eagles who actually have fewer needs are seem to not be interested in doing anything but sitting around with their thumb up their ass.

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but this team was in the NFC Championship, how can they not see that they're close to being a very good team and do something about it?

Meanwhile, Cleveland seems to have a plan, it just seems to involve four cans of gasoline and a book of matches. I'm starting to think the Browns hired another Bellicheat before he was ready for primetime. An egomaniac who has no real record of true success but wants to play dictator. Ugh.

browns didn't even get him to visit?? mistake by mankok in my opinion...ravens ties clearly aren't helping the browns any

browns didn't even get him to visit?? mistake by mankok in my opinion...ravens ties clearly aren't helping the browns any

It's starting to look like a long, cold winter in Cleveland. At this point I'll be surprised if Braylon starts the season in a Browns uniform. Somewhat with Brady Quinn, too.

The Broncos now say that Cutler is not being dealt. Period.

In other words, stop calling--you know, unless you have something really REALLY good.

Cardinals

Warner expects to be back in AZ next season

Steelers

Harrison is dissapointed with what the Steelers have offered him

The Ravens pull in Matt Birk (big loss at center for the Vikings, I believe)

The Bengals sign Lavernus Coles to replace TJ.

RB Lamont Jordan ends up in Denver.

Birk has played 11 seasons in Minnesota...would think he's wearing down. Also believe he criticized this coaching staff a few times...not sure how hard they tried to keep him.

LaMont Jordan is a big fat STIFF...NE (rightfully) considers Fred Taylor an upgrade.

Coles is actually a little younger than TJ...interesting for Cincy.

Denver also finalized (for the 2nd time) JJ Arrington's signing...

Report: Lions sign CB Philip Buchanon

by Tom Kowalski Wednesday March 04, 2009, 6:30 PM

The Detroit Lions added another cornerback to the team today by signing free agent Philip Buchanon, according to a Tampa Bay Online report.
Buchanon signed a two-year deal with the Lions, who have already added cornerbacks Anthony Henry (trade) and Eric King (free agency).

Chris Simms is close to signing with Denver.

Takeo Spikes signs in San Francisco.

Dansby signs his franchise tender in Arizona.

Torry Holt wants out of St. Louis.

And God told Kurt Warner to stay in Arizona.

“I told my wife probably 45 minutes into it that I just felt God say, ‘You’re supposed to be in Arizona.’ And I told her that. She tried to tell me to stay open [minded] but He just continued to confirm it and that’s why on the way back, I called Mark and said, ‘Hey, let’s get this thing done.’”

At least God's smart enough to realize accepting 20mil guaranteed to stay with a super bowl contender is a good move for 36 y/o QB.

love this offseason for the lions so far...secondary was probably the biggest need on the team. and call me crazy but....by the end of the draft the lions could possibly be...**GULP**... contenders in the mediocre nfc north

Ravens

After Vikings Birk

Rams

Holt wants out

Eagles

Shawn Springs might replace Dawkins as a safety

love this offseason for the lions so far...secondary was probably the biggest need on the team. and call me crazy but....by the end of the draft the lions could possibly be...**GULP**... contenders in the mediocre nfc north

First, I expect Detroit to be solid next year, 5-7 wins. Last yera, once things got rolling they just spiraled. They are going to bring in a lot of young talent and the signings seem okay so far...

I caution though, this team has been biting me in the ass with optimism each year for the better part of a decade since Barry left. I will simply wait for Game 1 from now on and see what happens. Not even training camp.

can't be any worse than last year

Nashville City Paper

Already there has been speculation and talk that the Tennessee Titans should entertain the notion of bringing in wide receiver Terrell Owens.

Don’t bet on it.

According to my sources, the Titans don’t want any part of the talented but often troublemaking wide receiver who was just released by the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday night.

What are the chances of it? Think somewhere along the lines of Bluto’s grade-point average in Animal House. … Zero point zero.

Even at 36, Owens is still one of the NFL’s most dangerous wide receivers, but given that the Titans have had more than their fill of troubled talents (see Jones, Pacman), adding Owens certainly doesn’t fit into what was a mostly harmonious locker room the past couple of seasons.

He has already worn out welcomes in San Francisco, Philadelphia and now Dallas, and managed to throw his quarterback under the bus in varying ways at each stop.

Kerry Collins has overcome plenty in his NFL career to remain a competent NFL starter. Maybe the grizzled veteran could handle Owens’ constant chirping.

But heaven forbid if Owens ever had to be on the field together with Vince Young. The combination of Owens’ scathing anti-quarterback antics with Young’s sometimes errant throws and his fragile psyche is a recipe for disaster.

Yes, the Titans are one playmaking receiver away from perhaps going to a Super Bowl.

But there are drawbacks to Owens that come in addition to his erratic and mercurial behavior.

For one thing, he is not a crisp route runner, something Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger is a stickler for. Anyone who has ever witnessed a Titans practice knows how steamed Heimerdinger can get when a receiver isn’t in the right spot when the ball is delivered. He’s not one for a lot of freelancing, and that is something Owens has a reputation for doing.

And another, Owens was one of the leaders in dropped passes a year ago.

As for taking a flier on T.O., look for the Titans to just say no.

TITANS ACTUALLY IN THE MIX FOR T.O.?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2009, 11:19 a.m.
Our friends at KSK (via our friends at Deadspin) have caught wind of a rumor that receiver Terrell Owens was spotted at the airport in Nashville this morning, with agent Drew Rosenhaus.
Presumably, the purpose of such a trip would be to meet with the Titans.
That said, Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reported on Thursday that the Titans aren’t interested in Terrell Owens.
But, as we’ve recently mentioned (primarily in an effort to cover our asses as to the potential inaccuracy of the Anti-T.O. List), teams could be suggesting publicly or privately that they don’t want Owens merely to soften up his salary expectations.

well its not speculation that him and rosenhaus were spotted in the nashville airport this morning...

i think hes a good pick up for the titans

they def need a WR

link? or how did you hear this?

I am in now way questioning you..just a concerned fan. Thanks Alex.

they said it on mike and mike this morning and a friend texted me this morning. Not saying this is a credible source or anything...this is just a "rumor" thread so you just never really know

The Titans are about the best fit for TO. Strong management, strong coach, he'll be a big fish in a small pond. I've had lots of people who know people working with the Titans who say that TO will be wearing two tone blue next year. I'm pumped.

Collins is not a top QB by any means but He seems like he would have the balls to stand up to TO, I think it could work and it would help them a lot

If Collins got injured though and Vince Young had to come in there would be a shit load of problems

The Titans are about the best fit for TO.

Have fun with that circus.

I guarantee you he'll be pushing for VY by mid-season unless Collins is already hurt by then. Even if it's behind the scenes. He made friends with Romo as soon as he got to Dallas, he saw the writing on the wall. The problem was Romo never 'repaid' that friendship once he was the starter by throwing to TO on every down. He'll do the same with VY here.

Well, a few teams have already said they have NO interest in TO

This includes,

New York Giants
New York Jets
Jacksonville Jaguars
San Diego Chargers
New Orleans Saints

As long as you sign this guy for 2 years i think it will be a great signing. He still is one of the best 5-7 WR's in the game. Takes a while for him to become a cancer as well. Titans are going to be below average imo next year so I dont think i would even want to there if I were him

THE BALL IS IN L.T.’S COURT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2009, 10:03 p.m.

Amid rumors that Chargers running back LaDainian <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_4_0">Tomlinson</nobr> won’t take a pay cut and in the wake of a radio interview during which his mother complained that the team is offering her son “crumbs” moving forward, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have made their final offer to Tomlinson, and that the decision is now in his hands as to whether he’ll stay.

Per Acee, the length of the revised contract isn’t clear, but it’s certain that the Chargers will be paying L.T. less than the $24 million he’s due to make over the next three years.

Surely, agent Tom Condon has gauged the market elsewhere for Tomlinson’s services. But, then again, Tomlinson might ultimately take even less with another team than he’d make with the Chargers, given the human-nature reluctance to take a substantial pay cut from a current employer.

The other reality is Tomlinson’s role. Surely, he still wants to be the go-to guy, but the Chargers might envision an arrangement like the one the Jags employed in 2007 and 2008, with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew sharing touches. Other teams potentially interested in Tomlinson might want to use Tomlinson in the same way.

The other reality here is that, with franchise player Darren Sproles due to make $6.6 million guaranteed in 2009, Tomlinson surely won’t want to make less than a third-down back and kick returner.

So the signs are pointing to a divorce, either by trade (with a new contract) or outright release. Either way, if looks as if, for the second year in a row, a former league MVP will no longer be playing for his original team only two years after winning the award.

As long as you sign this guy for 2 years i think it will be a great signing. He still is one of the best 5-7 WR's in the game. Takes a while for him to become a cancer as well. Titans are going to be below average imo next year so I dont think i would even want to there if I were him

Disagree with this strongly. They were supposed to be below average last year and won 13 games. I don't think they'll be as good next year(hell it's tough to win that many to start with) but I see zero reason they aren't a 10 to 11 win team next year.

THE BALL IS IN L.T.’S COURT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2009, 10:03 p.m.

Amid rumors that Chargers running back LaDainian <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_4_0">Tomlinson</nobr> won’t take a pay cut and in the wake of a radio interview during which his mother complained that the team is offering her son “crumbs” moving forward, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have made their final offer to Tomlinson, and that the decision is now in his hands as to whether he’ll stay.

Per Acee, the length of the revised contract isn’t clear, but it’s certain that the Chargers will be paying L.T. less than the $24 million he’s due to make over the next three years.

Surely, agent Tom Condon has gauged the market elsewhere for Tomlinson’s services. But, then again, Tomlinson might ultimately take even less with another team than he’d make with the Chargers, given the human-nature reluctance to take a substantial pay cut from a current employer.

The other reality is Tomlinson’s role. Surely, he still wants to be the go-to guy, but the Chargers might envision an arrangement like the one the Jags employed in 2007 and 2008, with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew sharing touches. Other teams potentially interested in Tomlinson might want to use Tomlinson in the same way.

The other reality here is that, with franchise player Darren Sproles due to make $6.6 million guaranteed in 2009, Tomlinson surely won’t want to make less than a third-down back and kick returner.

So the signs are pointing to a divorce, either by trade (with a new contract) or outright release. Either way, if looks as if, for the second year in a row, a former league MVP will no longer be playing for his original team only two years after winning the award.

this was from earlier in the week...

The Saints would reportedly have a "high level of interest" in LaDainian Tomlinson if he doesn't reach a restructured deal with San Diego.

There have been multiple indications that New Orleans isn't completely sold on Pierre Thomas as its lead back since the season ended. We expect the Chargers and Tomlinson to agree on a redone deal, but until a new contract is worked out LT's release will remain a realistic possibility.
Source: National Football Post

doesnt make any sense to me to bring him in but we still also havent signed Gerald Sensabaugh or Darren Sharper yet and that is a big area of need. dont know if the LT situation is affecting that.

Back