NFL Rumor Mill

Lions

Furrey said that Daunte will start next year but this is just a rumor, jury is still out

Lions' Daunte Culpepper restructures contract; Jason Hanson inks four-year deal

by Tom Kowalski Tuesday February 17, 2009, 2:30 PM

Detroit Lions quarterback Daunte Culpepper has restructured his contract but it remains a one-year deal. Culpepper no longer has a roster bonus scheduled for Feb. 27 but there is believed to be a roster bonus at some point in the off-season or training camp.
Also, kicker Jason Hanson, who would've been hit with the franchise tag on Thursday, has signed a four-year contract. Lions president Tom Lewand said the team has no plans on using the franchise or transition tag on any other player.

The restructuring of Culpepper's contract would seem to put him in the mix for the starting job, but Lewand and head coach Jim Schwartz both said today that no decisions have been made. Lewand also said the team is continuing to talk to quarterback Dan Orlovsky, who will become an unrestricted free agent on Feb. 27.

Jags

Gonna unload on a contract for Jones-Drew

Steelers

Harrison's agent will meet with the Steelers so they can keep him long term

Cardinals

Franchise Dansby

Ravens

Ready to tag Suggs

Bears

Garcia is someone to consider...I say they do it

Jets

Interested in Chris Mccalister

Franchise Dansby

Smart. That guy's a stud.

Bears

Garcia is someone to consider...I say they do it

Agreed. I think if Garcia's agent is smart he could play Minny and Chicago against each other and get a nice two year deal for Garcia out of one of 'em. I think either would be a good fit, but perhaps Minny being better. He might wreak havoc there.

jason hanson 4 year deal?? isnt he like 38 right now?

That was my thought too. I actually think he is 41 though. I'll look. Drafted in 1992. Thats 17 years ago. He was a 4 year kicker at HAWAII.

That being said, he has gotten better last few years after it looked like he may be on decline.

Eagles-Brownies-Lions all have same number of Super Bowls.

It's worse than that.

The Eagles & Browns are a combined 0-2 in SBs. The Lions are simply 0-0.

That was my thought too. I actually think he is 41 though. I'll look. Drafted in 1992. Thats 17 years ago. He was a 4 year kicker at HAWAII.

Yeah, I thought Elam was 55 then he got that FA deal from Atlanta. Some of those kickers just don't age.

To that point, Stover's old, Dawson's old, hide your wives 'cause Cougar Kickers, they're out there.

Yeah, I thought Elam was 55 then he got that FA deal from Atlanta. Some of those kickers just don't age.

To that point, Stover's old, Dawson's old, hide your wives 'cause Cougar Kickers, they're out there.

New meaning to soccer moms

Do you remember that poster at Blankets 5-6 years ago named "Soccerball"

Maybe my favorite poster ever this side of coronaball.

You mean the guy who only posted the soccerball?

Yeah, that guy was awesome.

I was a total enabler of that guy, too.

Raiders re-sign the 2nd Greatest Punter in NFL History:

Adam Schefter Raiders’ Lechler gets his kicks with four-year deal

Posted: February 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Oakland Raiders, Shane Lechler
On the same day that Tennessee’s Rob Bironas became the highest-paid kicker in NFL history, the Oakland Raiders were on the verge of making
Shane Lechler the highest-paid punter in NFL history.
Lechler and the Raiders reached an agreement Wedneday night on a four-year, $12 million deal that keeps the punter off the market and sets a new salary benchmark for the position.
It’s only fitting that it comes from the Raiders, the team that produced the finest punter in NFL history, Ray Guy.
At one time, it was widely believed that Oakland wouldn’t be able to retain Lechler. But contract talks intensified enough that the two sides were able to bridge any differences, and Lechler will remain a Raider, also leaving the team with its franchise tag in the event it wants to use it Thursday on CB Nnamdi Asomugha.
Earlier in the day, the Titans reached agreement with Bironas on a four-year, $12 million deal that makes him the highest-paid kicker in the game.
In a league where 30 percent of the games are decided by four points or less, it makes sense to pay punters and kickers. The Raiders and Titans have.

pixel.gif
Colts re-signed CB Kelvin Hayden to a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal includes $22.5 million in guarantees.

He would've been franchise tagged Thursday had this deal not been completed. Hayden, received more guaranteed money than Asante Samuel, last year's top free agent corner. Hayden's career began slowly, but it's taken off since his storied pick six of Rex Grossman in Super Bowl XLI. The former college wideout has ideal ball skills, can play zone or man coverage, and is only 25. Feb. 18 - 9:24 pm et
Source: NFL.com

BREAKING NEWS: ASOMUGHA, RAIDERS CLOSE IN ON LONG-TERM CONTRACT

http://raiderbeat.com/?p=684

nnamdi.jpg

RaiderBeat.com Staff Writer

In a stunning development, the Raiders and All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha are close to agreeing to terms on a contract that would keep Asomugha in silver and black for several years and off the free-agent market, two team sources said Wednesday afternoon.
The Raiders have until Thursday afternoon to decide whether to place the franchise tag on Asomugha as a means of protecting themselves against Asomugha becoming an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27. Raiders managing general partner Al Davis and Asomugha said earlier this month that they expected to go the franchise-tag route for a second straight season.
Signing Asomugha to a long-term contract would alleviate the need for using the franchise tag and worrying about losing Asomugha after this season.
It also would put the Raiders in a position to save some much-needed salary-cap room for 2009 because the deal likely would be structured in a way so that the cap hit this season would be less than the $11.7 million or so tied to a franchise tender.
Asomugha has spent his entire six-year NFL career with the Raiders. He hinted late last season that he wanted to go elsewhere if the Raiders didn’t show signs that they were committed to turning around their fortunes. The Raiders are an NFL-worst 24-72 during Asomugha’s six seasons.
Asomugha was so intent upon forcing the Raiders hand that he changed agents late last season, hooking up with top-tier agent Tom Condon. Now, he is on the verge of signing a contract that likely would make him the league’s highest-paid cornerback.
On Wednesday, Condon and Raiders officials intensified negotiations with the intent of hammering out a deal by night’s end at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. The two sides put on hold talks Wednesday night, but they intend to resume Thursday morning, the two team sources said.
Some work remains to be done, the team sources said. However, a deal still appears imminent before the deadline hits for using the franchise tag.
Asomugha earned his first Pro Bowl selection last season and also was named All-Pro for his stellar play in 15 games. He allowed only eight receptions for 133 yards and no touchdowns.
<SMALL>This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 at 7:07 pm and is filed under Uncategorized. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. </SMALL>

Eagles

TJ Houz likes the Eagles, but he is also interested in the Ravens and Dolphins and a few other teams also...

The Eagles are meeting with Mcnabb to discuss extension

Bucs

Gonna tag Antonio Bryant

Bears

Could Chris Simms go there?

BREAKING NEWS: ASOMUGHA, RAIDERS CLOSE IN ON LONG-TERM CONTRACT

http://raiderbeat.com/?p=684
RaiderBeat.com Staff Writer

In a stunning development, the Raiders and All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha are close to agreeing to terms on a contract that would keep Asomugha in silver and black for several years and off the free-agent market, two team sources said Wednesday afternoon.
The Raiders have until Thursday afternoon to decide whether to place the franchise tag on Asomugha as a means of protecting themselves against Asomugha becoming an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27. Raiders managing general partner Al Davis and Asomugha said earlier this month that they expected to go the franchise-tag route for a second straight season.
Signing Asomugha to a long-term contract would alleviate the need for using the franchise tag and worrying about losing Asomugha after this season.
It also would put the Raiders in a position to save some much-needed salary-cap room for 2009 because the deal likely would be structured in a way so that the cap hit this season would be less than the $11.7 million or so tied to a franchise tender.
Asomugha has spent his entire six-year NFL career with the Raiders. He hinted late last season that he wanted to go elsewhere if the Raiders didn’t show signs that they were committed to turning around their fortunes. The Raiders are an NFL-worst 24-72 during Asomugha’s six seasons.
Asomugha was so intent upon forcing the Raiders hand that he changed agents late last season, hooking up with top-tier agent Tom Condon. Now, he is on the verge of signing a contract that likely would make him the league’s highest-paid cornerback.
On Wednesday, Condon and Raiders officials intensified negotiations with the intent of hammering out a deal by night’s end at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. The two sides put on hold talks Wednesday night, but they intend to resume Thursday morning, the two team sources said.
Some work remains to be done, the team sources said. However, a deal still appears imminent before the deadline hits for using the franchise tag.
Asomugha earned his first Pro Bowl selection last season and also was named All-Pro for his stellar play in 15 games. He allowed only eight receptions for 133 yards and no touchdowns.

Raiders having a GREAT off-season, baby. :tiphat:
ASOMUGHA CONTRACT IN LEAGUE’S HANDS

Posted by Mike Florio on February 19, 2009, 1:19 p.m.
The deal between the Raiders and cornerback Nnamdi <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">Asomugha</nobr> is nearly done.
Per Jim Trotter of SI.com, the contract is in the hands of the NFL’s Management Council, which reviews every contract for approval.
Trotter reports that Asomugha will receive $26 million in guaranteed money over the first two years of the deal, which approximates the money he’d receive under the franchise tag for this season and next.

ASO is the best CB in the NFL.

15 Games = 8-133-0

Per Game: .5 rec - 9 yds - 0.000000 tds
(SIMPLY AWESOME)

Mully :cheers:

Last edited:
HUGE signings by AL, I thought one was gonna have to be franchised and the other would leave.

These are big big signings.

Oakland Raiders 2009 AFC West Champs

Steelers

Tag LT Max Starks again not sure how i feel about this...He`s not worth top 5 money but we have nobody else ready at back up... Looks like Guard /Center /CB in 1st round ...Doubt Steelers offer McFadden near the amount Raiders CB just recieved, so hes a goner ..

I saw that, too, Steel. It is a very interesting development. Thing is, if the Steelers just focus on the O-line they might be able to weather this one. They can attack things like CB in the draft, supplement O-line their too, and try to pay the guys they've got.

I do think they lose somebody, maybe two, but if they concentrate their efforts on the line I think they can make it through this. However, if they don't, they could be in for a really tough 2009.

Titans

Offered Haynesworth 36 million for 4 years. He wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL. Which is ridiculous...because he is one of the most overrated players in the NFL.

Colts

Marvin Harrison is more then likely done in Indy, why is ESPN not reporting this?

Alot of talk around Minnesota about going after Jeff Garcia. Obviously this could be good and bad. We likely will fight with Chicago over him. I personally think he fits in better in Minnesota. He has played in the West Coast offense almost his entire career, and I think offensively we have a few more weapons.

But to steal a liberal saying, its not really change just more of the same. I don't think Garcia can lead us deep into the playoffs, but at this point we really don't have another option. Add to the fact that Garcia hasn't put up good numbers or played a full season in years. Granted that has alot to do with where he has been. In Philly he came in for Mcnabb after he got injured, and in Tampa Gruden benched him.

I think its interesting that Carolina tagged Peppers. His price tag is now a 1st and 2-3rds correct? Pretty big price tag for a guy that has voiced he doesn't want to play in Carolina anymore. For some reason this seems like it won't end good for either party.

All courtesy of today's Daily News (NY)

New York Jets release veteran backup linebackers David Bowens and Brad Kassell leaving them thin at inside linebacker making it more likely they will pursue Baltimnore Ravens Ray Lewis or Bart Scott who will be free agents on Feb. 27.

Carolina Panthers put franchise tag on Julius Peppers.

Tennessee Titans franchise TE Bo Scaife.

Atlanta Falcons franchise punter Michael Koenen.

Houston Texans franchise CB Dunta Robinson.

St. Louis Rams franchise S Oshiomogho Atogwe.

Seattle Seahawks franchise LB Leroy Hill.

KC Chiefs add Maurice Carthon to coaching staff.

Jets will receive a 3rd round draft pick from the Saints for Vilma. It becomes a 2nd round pick if Vilma re-signs before free agency.

Alot of talk around Minnesota about going after Jeff Garcia. Obviously this could be good and bad. We likely will fight with Chicago over him. I personally think he fits in better in Minnesota. He has played in the West Coast offense almost his entire career, and I think offensively we have a few more weapons.

But to steal a liberal saying, its not really change just more of the same. I don't think Garcia can lead us deep into the playoffs, but at this point we really don't have another option. Add to the fact that Garcia hasn't put up good numbers or played a full season in years. Granted that has alot to do with where he has been. In Philly he came in for Mcnabb after he got injured, and in Tampa Gruden benched him.

I think its interesting that Carolina tagged Peppers. His price tag is now a 1st and 2-3rds correct? Pretty big price tag for a guy that has voiced he doesn't want to play in Carolina anymore. For some reason this seems like it won't end good for either party.

Profootballtalk.com is playing up the Kurt Warner to Minnesota angle...think with AD in the backfield Warner's play fakes would be DEADLY........:shake:

Whether it's Kurt Warner or Garcia I think that team would improve immediately. I actually think Garcia is the best fit for 'em.

Also, there's a rumor that the Bucs might be interested in trading for Derek Anderson. Works for me.

Profootballtalk.com is playing up the Kurt Warner to Minnesota angle...think with AD in the backfield Warner's play fakes would be DEADLY........:shake:

Mike Florio and lead radio sports guy/Vikings play by play announcer are BFF's. I would be at the bar buying drinks right now, if we got Warner...but i doubt it happens

Cowboys

Demarcus Ware said that Ray Lewis's dream is to play for the Cowboys

Eagles

Will pursue TJ

Colts

Harrison asks for a release

Redskins

Jason Taylor wants to stay with the team
Redskins are pursuing Deangelo Hall

Giants

Aim to get Plax back

Patriots

Looking at Fred Taylor

Cardinals

Warner likely to play next year

Jets

Creatin room for Ray Lewis

Ive been outta the country for a few days so someone fill me in here...

whats the news on the Boldin front?

Something like he said hes giving them 2 days to make a legit offer or he wants a trade?

Cowboys

Demarcus Ware said that Ray Lewis's dream is to play for the Cowboys

Eagles

Will pursue TJ

Colts

Harrison asks for a release

Redskins

Jason Taylor wants to stay with the team
Redskins are pursuing Deangelo Hall

Giants

Aim to get Plax back

Patriots

Looking at Fred Taylor

Cardinals

Warner likely to play next year

Jets

Creatin room for Ray Lewis

Where did you hear the official Eagles rumor? I've heard its possible, but not many comments so far on it.

Boldin update.

A few days ago, maybe last week, Boldin softened his stance with AZ, saying he might be willing to talk about an extension. Not surprisingly this was then followed by Kurt Warner's agent admitting publicly that Warner intends to play next year.

But then, I believe yesterday, Boldin seemed to get itchy again and said that if the Cards don't figure this out and give him a new deal by the end of the day either today or tomorrow, he's going to demand a trade and be done with them.

Of course, he's already kind of demanded a trade and said he's done with them, so I'm not really sure how much stock one wants to put in that.

Not to mention the fact that the guy has basically zero leverage. He's got two years left on his deal, he can keep telling them how unhappy he is, but that's about it. They hold the cards (no pun intended).

But now that the combine's over and teams are turning their attention to free agency, maybe something gets done.

Personally I think the Cards would be smart to deal him before free agency hits (at the end of the week) because as soon as that happens the teams who really need guys will go snap up TJ, Marvin Harrison (who I don't want), etc.

I say do the deal now or sign him to the extension.

Boldin update.

A few days ago, maybe last week, Boldin softened his stance with AZ, saying he might be willing to talk about an extension. Not surprisingly this was then followed by Kurt Warner's agent admitting publicly that Warner intends to play next year.

But then, I believe yesterday, Boldin seemed to get itchy again and said that if the Cards don't figure this out and give him a new deal by the end of the day either today or tomorrow, he's going to demand a trade and be done with them.

Of course, he's already kind of demanded a trade and said he's done with them, so I'm not really sure how much stock one wants to put in that.

Not to mention the fact that the guy has basically zero leverage. He's got two years left on his deal, he can keep telling them how unhappy he is, but that's about it. They hold the cards (no pun intended).

But now that the combine's over and teams are turning their attention to free agency, maybe something gets done.

Personally I think the Cards would be smart to deal him before free agency hits (at the end of the week) because as soon as that happens the teams who really need guys will go snap up TJ, Marvin Harrison (who I don't want), etc.

I say do the deal now or sign him to the extension.

Since I think the Eagles window is small, I wouldn't mind having Marvin Harrison for like a 4th round pick. But I hear he wants money.

But I hear he wants money.

Yeah, the Colts came to him and said, "Hey, Marvin, we love you, but we need you to take a pay cut."

To which Marvin reportedly replied, "B*tch, where's my f**king gun?"

Of course, those reports could be way off.

For me, at this point in his career, Harrison doesn't scare me and I'm not sure he scares anybody else, either. I question his health and I've always questioned whether or not he wants to take a hit in the playoffs.

I want Boldin. After him I want Anquan Boldin. Then I want TJ or Bryant Johnson. Or I want that dude from Rutgers to fall to us in the draft.

McNabb update.

Donovan now is apparently going to wait on talking contract extension to see what the Birds are going to do in free agency.

There are a few ways to look at this:

1. Good for the Eagles
Donovan basically saying get me more weapons or I'll either demand a trade or walk in two years just puts more pressure on the Eagles to do something this offseason. This combined with the Giants being interested in Boldin and Ray Lewis apparently slobbering over going to Dallas, just keeps pushing Philly to finally really make an effort to step up this offseason.

2. Bad for the Eagles
Donovan's a primadonna, this isn't him being a leader, this is him going down the road of other players who test the Eagles' organization publically and have a combined track record of something like 0-763. Maybe this pisses the team off to the point where they start actively looking to trade him because they never let the inmates run the asylum.

3. Donovan's a d*ck

This could actually be true in addition to either of the above or neither. And it's probably accurate to a point. Thing is, Donovan right now has leverage. He may actually never have this leverage again. So he's trying to force the team to improve the team and he's kind of being a prick to do so, is that really so wrong?

Personally, I think this is both numbers one and three, with the heavy emphasis being on number one.

Back