NFC Wildcard Discussion Thread

Not really, it always been nyg or nothing for me. Sure I can poke holes in them but I can poke just as many in Vikings and think the matchup suites Gmen pretty well. I seriously think these fuckers might end up in the nfc championship, not cause they good just cause the path, it will just depend on which Philly shows up after the bye, I have no clue.

I don’t think Jones will have any problems dealing w playoffs, I expect him to be himself which is sometimes ok, sometimes not but he seems very even keeled to me, I don’t expect the moment to bother him and against this d I’d expect the solid version of him, what bout vikings d any different? The only difference I see coming is giants get more points out of all those yards. Cousins the one I never want my money on, he not exactly known for performing his best in big games amd I think nyg defense far more capable of causing him problems,. Gmen dc is good and he has some dudes up front. I don’t see all these edges for Vikings the only place on the entire roster I think they better Is the pass catchers, Imo giants better coached and i like seeing Vikings got boat raced in 2 out of their 3 division rematches, that can’t bode well for them, seems to me their opponents had the answers against them in the rematches. the yards per play discrepancy was massive for nyg last game and that was w huge games by Jefferson and Hockenson, I think Gmen will have a better plan for them and I don’t think vikings have much of a counter. Vikings have only won 2 games by margin all year, pack week 1 who were totally unprepared (and smashed them In rematch) and bears last week who threw in the towel. Pretty sure Vikings have by far the worst point differential of a 13 win team in history. Maybe they win another close game but im totally confident nyg will have a chance to win this game in the 4th if they not just leading most the way. If I lose it ok, that sends minny to San Fran next week so shouldn’t have any problem getting it back there, lol.
Not like I have any desire betting spread or ML, Vikes should score

And I reiterate that NYG might be top 5 worst teams in my life to make the playoffs which is nuts, Vikings might be the most overachieving 3 seed in my life too

Only things I like are Dalvin total yds over and Vikes tt over

Really don't think NYG do shit offensively here and make Vikes defense look good which bodes well for next week where they will be overvalued. If Niners get knocked off by Seahawks then we deal with the same thing next week against TB/DAL

Not like I have any desire betting spread or ML, Vikes should score

And I reiterate that NYG might be top 5 worst teams in my life to make the playoffs which is nuts, Vikings might be the most overachieving 3 seed in my life too

Only things I like are Dalvin total yds over and Vikes tt over

Really don't think NYG do shit offensively here and make Vikes defense look good which bodes well for next week where they will be overvalued. If Niners get knocked off by Seahawks then we deal with the same thing next week against TB/DAL

They treat cook like a afterthought way too often. If nyg plays anywhere close to the same kind of d they should absolutely go to cook more but last game was low and tight for most of it, Gmen had 8 freaking db’s out there and they gave cook 14 carries. I have no clue why you don’t think Gmen will score on this crappy d? They went for 6.7 a play last time, they shoulda scored more. Vikings have had what 3 games all year they held teams under 20? One was last week which hardly counted, 1 was packers in week 1. Early in the year I woulda agreed w you on giants but I think they have gotten more capable with James and Hodgins both becoming reliable in the passing game. Between barkely and Jones in the zone read and just throwing on a awful Vikings secondary i have no doubt they scoring in the 20s.

They treat cook like a afterthought way too often. If nyg plays anywhere close to the same kind of d they should absolutely go to cook more but last game was low and tight for most of it, Gmen had 8 freaking db’s out there and they gave cook 14 carries. I have no clue why you don’t think Gmen will score on this crappy d? They went for 6.7 a play last time, they shoulda scored more. Vikings have had what 3 games all year they held teams under 20? One was last week which hardly counted, 1 was packers in week 1. Early in the year I woulda agreed w you on giants but I think they have gotten more capable with James and Hodgins both becoming reliable in the passing game. Between barkely and Jones in the zone read and just throwing on a awful Vikings secondary i have no doubt they scoring in the 20s.
And I don't think this plays out close to the last game, that virtually never happens

NYG get in 20s, if so, I expect MIN to get into the 30s

I've never understood treating playoff games like regular season games and of course you could be right. But I don't see it at all.

Can't spend much more brain on this shit game, again Cook yds over and MIN tt over and might wait live hoping NYG receive opening kickoff

Cook was 36th out of 42 eligible RB in DYAR and DVOA this season. That only factors in what you do, not what the coach does. O Line is a terrible run blocking line as well. If they committed to this and did any of this well, I’d prob go Vikes.

Not everyone will see it same, but like I said before I see advantages for Giants in several areas.

Feel much stronger about Cowboys though
The cowboys game I totally agree.

I keep asking myself what would the line be if Brady wasn't the QB for tb? Tb 7-0 vs boys etc all I've been hearing. I think pollard rips the bucs and lamb should be able to have some big plays. Boys d should be able to get to TB. Just have to hope dak thrown just one pick and not 2+

Unlike the Vikings I would think Daboll is smart and Barkley gets touches galore. Have to check out his rush & rec yds prop....

Unlike the Vikings I would think Daboll is smart and Barkley gets touches galore. Have to check out his rush & rec yds prop....
McConnell has somehow made a feast out of chicken shit

I seriously think the Vikes have the coaching advantage, Daboll got weird once he started getting so much attention

That game, regardless of the lack of appeal, likely is a matter of who doesn't lose as opposed to who wins

Barring a miracle it should likely be forgotten from memory the next day

I think jefferson yards over couldn't be lined high enough. Probably my favorite play in that game
Anytime TD for him is well in play too

Expect a huge game from Dalvin whether it's screens or he carries it 20+

Gotta think this is a chess match, comparing it to other games is a mistake I think...and also where good coaches become great coaches. Poker face wins a lot in this league.

Anytime TD for him is well in play too

Expect a huge game from Dalvin whether it's screens or he carries it 20+

Gotta think this is a chess match, comparing it to other games is a mistake I think...and also where good coaches become great coaches. Poker face wins a lot in this league.

Are you a Vikings fan KJ? Not being snarky, you’re just overly optimistic about them, their personnel and staff

I, admittedly, rely on DVOA a ton. And it says Minnesota is the worst team to make the playoffs since 2016 (Houston) and the 3rd worst over the last 15 years (2012 Colts were other).

Giants are flawed, no question. Statistically, the Vikings do almost nothing above average. Not even going for good or great. They aren’t even above average in anything.

Those 2016 Texans did win a playoff game in the Connor Cook game.

Are you a Vikings fan KJ? Not being snarky, you’re just overly optimistic about them, their personnel and staff

I, admittedly, rely on DVOA a ton. And it says Minnesota is the worst team to make the playoffs since 2016 (Houston) and the 3rd worst over the last 15 years (2012 Colts were other).

Giants are flawed, no question. Statistically, the Vikings do almost nothing above average. Not even going for good or great. They aren’t even above average in anything.

Those 2016 Texans did win a playoff game
LOL I grew up one but celebrated like a school girl when McCown threw to Poole to eliminate them here

This has zero fan interest, I don't give two rips as a fan of the game. Vaguely care, not like they were a home team for me.

Giants are incredibly awful. It would be a disservice to see them play another game. I can also say that about Cousins, just shy of hate for him.

But the Giants are putrid, will go off as a public dog and I simply can't see Minny not scoring 40+ against that trash

DVOA in the playoffs doesn't seem like a you thing cap. There are 4 incredibly bad teams in the NFC that made the playoffs excluding Seattle. I don't for the life of me figure out how NYG makes a comfortable wager. Obviously many disagree which isn't unusual.

Meant scoring 30+, not 40 although they could

Fat fingers and keyboards have consequences

Agree. I think Giants will be aggressive through the air vs Minnesota which will open the running game. Seems like everyone loves the Giants.

Keep in mind Dalvin's injury history. There was a reason why he wasn't carrying the ball 20+/game in the regular season. He rotated series' with Mattison at certain points each game. Point is, the goal was to keep him healthy for times like these...that is, the playoffs. Cook about to go off!

Last edited:
I understand Niner backers being leary of laying the points, but I took Seattle and I'm probably more worried.

There are 3 circumstances (below) to this game that I'm banking on. Just need 2 of the 3 and I think it hits. It's, dare I say...a gamble.

1) Purdy's first playoff start, 2nd time against Seattle. I think everyone is waiting for that inevitable rookie performance. Hoping for it in this spot.

2) The weather. It seems like what I've read in here so far aligns with my thinking: It's a neutralizer...always has been. Niners faithful have been proud of their natural grass surface...well, that could get sloppy.

3) Divisional opponents. As they say, it's hard to beat the same team 3 times in a season. Pete came up huge in a spot like this before (granted it was at home (Beast Quake)) and he's no dummy. He might not have all the horses that SF has, but I expect a solid game plan...

Honorable mention:

DK been inconsistent as heck this season. I see Seattle getting him involved early with Lockett doing what he does. Use the threat of those receivers to eventually set up the run. Let Bosa and crew pin their ears back and run right by 'em.

We'll see... *shrugs*

Last edited:
Also on the Jags. Pederson will outcoach Staley. No question. WC to EC trip...not as big a thing as it used to be, it seems, but still tough, nonetheless. The spread is 2...it can go either way, so I'm just going with a bet I can't be mad at if it loses.

„King, Roethlisberger, Flacco, and Sanchez are the only rookie quarterbacks to have beat a veteran quarterback in their first playoff game“

Shaun King ^

Santa Clara 9ers Forcast:

Sat 14 | Day​

59°

100% Chance Of Participation

SSW 16 mph

Cloudy with periods of rain. Potential for flooding rains. High 59F. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall may reach one inch.

Reactions: KJ
I didn't even know I was going to be participating in that game but I suppose they rounded up.

Didn't Niners totally stink it up in the rain against Chicago even before qb injuries?

Agree. I think Giants will be aggressive through the air vs Minnesota which will open the running game. Seems like everyone loves the Giants.

I’ll def be on Hodgins and James over rec yards, both in the 40s. Been playing at least one those 2 the last month and they been cashing. They really have turned into jones primary 2 guys on the outside, they both had 8 grabs for 89 and 90 last meeting, I dunno if they both go that high but I’d think they both get at least 5 grabs for 50+.

NFL playoff matchups between divisional opponents where one team won both regular season matchups:

DateLinkDayWeekSeasonTeamOppSiteQ1Q2Q3Q4FinalLineTotalSUmATSmOUmDPSDPASUrATSrOUrot
Jan 05, 2003viewSunday182002SteelersBrownshome0-77-107-722-936-33-7.541.03-4.528.011.816.2WLO0
Jan 08, 2005viewSaturday182004RamsSeahawksaway7-37-73-310-727-204.050.0711.0-3.04.0-7.0WWU0
Jan 09, 2005viewSunday182004PackersVikingshome3-177-70-07-717-31-6.549.5-14-20.5-1.5-11.09.5LLU0
Jan 13, 2008viewSunday192007CowboysGiantshome0-714-73-00-717-21-7.047.0-4-11.0-9.0-10.01.0LLU0
Jan 18, 2009viewSunday202008SteelersRavenshome6-07-73-07-723-14-6.034.093.03.03.00.0WWO0
Jan 09, 2010viewSaturday182009CowboysEagleshome0-027-77-00-734-14-4.045.02016.03.09.5-6.5WWO0
Jan 07, 2018viewSunday182017SaintsPanthershome7-014-93-37-1431-26-6.547.55-1.59.54.05.5WLO0
Jan 17, 2021viewSunday192020SaintsBuccaneershome6-07-137-70-1020-30-2.553.0-10-12.5-3.0-7.84.8LLU0
Jan 30, 2022viewSunday212021FortyninersRamsaway0-010-77-00-1317-203.545.5-30.5-8.5-4.0-4.5LWU0
Jan 14, 2023viewSaturday192022FortyninersSeahawkshome-9.542.0

Small sample size over the last 21 seasons, I thought there would be more instances.

Wildcard round: 4-1, but just 2-3 ATS

Reactions: KJ
That was also before McC arrived, so I suppose you and I need to remember that fact.
When looking for reasons why the Seahawks can beat the 49ers in Saturday’s playoff game, I feel like I’m on a beach with a metal detector, sweeping back and forth, searching for any little nugget I can find.

It’s much easier to find reasons why the 49ers can beat the Seahawks. My metal detector would be beeping non-stop, unearthing Christian McCaffrey, George Kittle, Deebo Samuel, 49ers No. 1 ranked defense, 49ers at home, 49ers favored by 10, Brock Purdy and a team that has won 10 in a row.

But I’m trying to build a case for a monumental and unprecedented upset in the NFL playoffs because, as you know, a No. 7-seeded team has never beaten a No. 2 team, undoubtedly because this is only the second year each conference has had seven playoff teams.

A 7 will beat a 2 at some point, and if it happens Saturday in the NFC game, I’m guessing most of us will fall over dead, shocked by such an unexpected outcome.

But can we agree that the Seahawks have a better shot to win than Miami, the AFC’s seventh-seeded team and a 13 1/2-point underdog at Buffalo? The Dolphins are starting a third-string quarterback and roll into the playoffs having lost five of their last six.

The Seahawks can counter by saying they enter the playoffs in a bit better shape after winning their last two games even though wise guys could justifiably wonder: “Big deal, you beat the Jets with Mike White at quarterback and the Rams with Baker Mayfield.”

If you keep reading you’ll find good news when it comes to the Seahawks, a variety of historical facts and figures and other impertinent details that help form a flimsy case for an upset. But I would argue that a flimsy case is better than no case at all.

— You’ve heard all week how tough it is to beat a team three times in one season, but that’s not true, and it’s not false either. The 49ers beat the Seahawks in two games this year, but teams that have swept the season series were only 12-7 when they met again in the playoffs. So yes, San Francisco’s on the 12 side of things here, but Seattle’s on the 7 side, and winning seven games out of 19 is more than I thought it would be for the swept team.

— Since 1990, rookie QBs making their first playoff start are 10-17, including 3-10 in the last decade, this according to The Action Network. This is the situation for 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy. Never mind that he’s 5-0 as a starter thus far and looks rather unfazed, unruffled and un-whatever else.

— The 49ers, as mentioned, finished the regular season with a 10-game winning streak. But again, from The Action Network, in the last 20 years 15 teams entered the playoffs with a 10-plus-game winning streak. Those teams went 7-8 in their first playoff game, a good sign for the Hawks.

Here’s an even better fun fact — first-time playoff quarterbacks as home favorites are 8-14 straight up and 6-16 against the spread.

— In NFL history, double-digit underdogs have won 14 times so it wouldn’t be out of the question for a 10-point underdog like Seattle to do it for a 15th time.

When looking for reasons why the Seahawks can beat the 49ers in Saturday’s playoff game, I feel like I’m on a beach with a metal detector, sweeping back and forth, searching for any little nugget I can find.

It’s much easier to find reasons why the 49ers can beat the Seahawks. My metal detector would be beeping non-stop, unearthing Christian McCaffrey, George Kittle, Deebo Samuel, 49ers No. 1 ranked defense, 49ers at home, 49ers favored by 10, Brock Purdy and a team that has won 10 in a row.

But I’m trying to build a case for a monumental and unprecedented upset in the NFL playoffs because, as you know, a No. 7-seeded team has never beaten a No. 2 team, undoubtedly because this is only the second year each conference has had seven playoff teams.

A 7 will beat a 2 at some point, and if it happens Saturday in the NFC game, I’m guessing most of us will fall over dead, shocked by such an unexpected outcome.

But can we agree that the Seahawks have a better shot to win than Miami, the AFC’s seventh-seeded team and a 13 1/2-point underdog at Buffalo? The Dolphins are starting a third-string quarterback and roll into the playoffs having lost five of their last six.

The Seahawks can counter by saying they enter the playoffs in a bit better shape after winning their last two games even though wise guys could justifiably wonder: “Big deal, you beat the Jets with Mike White at quarterback and the Rams with Baker Mayfield.”

If you keep reading you’ll find good news when it comes to the Seahawks, a variety of historical facts and figures and other impertinent details that help form a flimsy case for an upset. But I would argue that a flimsy case is better than no case at all.

— You’ve heard all week how tough it is to beat a team three times in one season, but that’s not true, and it’s not false either. The 49ers beat the Seahawks in two games this year, but teams that have swept the season series were only 12-7 when they met again in the playoffs. So yes, San Francisco’s on the 12 side of things here, but Seattle’s on the 7 side, and winning seven games out of 19 is more than I thought it would be for the swept team.

— Since 1990, rookie QBs making their first playoff start are 10-17, including 3-10 in the last decade, this according to The Action Network. This is the situation for 49ers quarterback Brock Purdy. Never mind that he’s 5-0 as a starter thus far and looks rather unfazed, unruffled and un-whatever else.

— The 49ers, as mentioned, finished the regular season with a 10-game winning streak. But again, from The Action Network, in the last 20 years 15 teams entered the playoffs with a 10-plus-game winning streak. Those teams went 7-8 in their first playoff game, a good sign for the Hawks.

I think seattle has really regressed since around thanksgiving, I don’t think it a coincidence they relied on a lot of rookies this year including both tackles. The only reason I give them a snowballs chance in hell the weather could make for a way higher variance game. Of course I picked niners since beginning the year, think they the best roster by a mile so yea I’d be shocked if they lost, not shocked if they didn’t cover tho.

it really makes the nfc winner and SB gross of niners lose, especially if Philly can’t regain pre hurts injury form. We have another tcu/Uga in Super Bowl.

I know I know. Here comes Vapster again, with some kind of trend. But I am big at trends when it comes to record versus another team. And Tom Brady is 7-0 in his lifetime against Dallas.

Say what you want about rookie QB's and their record in the playoffs but how many have gone up against a career journeyman that has taken the exact same number of playoff snaps as the rookie??! Aside from Metcalf, does Seattle have even ONE starter that would start for SF? I'm sure there is at least one but not much more than that. Inclement weather is usually a great equalizer for the underdog and it very well may be here if SF turns the ball over but in this case...the weather will effect the one thing Seattle could hang their hopes on which is chucking it downfield to Metcalf and Lockett. Can't argue looking at Under 42 either but i think SF wins/covers. Just don't see how Seattle's offense is going to stay on the field.

Say what you want about rookie QB's and their record in the playoffs but how many have gone up against a career journeyman that has taken the exact same number of playoff snaps as the rookie??! Aside from Metcalf, does Seattle have even ONE starter that would start for SF? I'm sure there is at least one but not much more than that. Inclement weather is usually a great equalizer for the underdog and it very well may be here if SF turns the ball over but in this case...the weather will effect the one thing Seattle could hang their hopes on which is chucking it downfield to Metcalf and Lockett. Can't argue looking at Under 42 either but i think SF wins/covers. Just don't see how Seattle's offense is going to stay on the field.
Kenneth Walker The 3rd Could Start For santa clara...

There's this guy...

Named McCaffrey.
I mean he's okay...

He's no Kenneth Walker the third though...

Everyone is so ready to Crown the Niners if you want to Crown them then Crown them! But they are who I think they are! Or something like that. Was that Jim mora? Or wait no Jim Mora was the guy who said playoffs? Playoffs?!

I mean he's okay...

He's no Kenneth Walker the third though...

Everyone is so ready to Crown the Niners if you want to Crown them then Crown them! But they are who I think they are! Or something like that. Was that Jim mora? Or wait no Jim Mora was the guy who said playoffs? Playoffs?!
Okay, so another California anti Niners member lol. I get it.

Back