NFC Wildcard Discussion Thread

I mean he's okay...

He's no Kenneth Walker the third though...

Everyone is so ready to Crown the Niners if you want to Crown them then Crown them! But they are who I think they are! Or something like that. Was that Jim mora? Or wait no Jim Mora was the guy who said playoffs? Playoffs?!

Picking them to beat the mediocre Seahawks and crowning them are in two different universes.

I understand Niner backers being leary of laying the points, but I took Seattle and I'm probably more worried.

There are 3 circumstances (below) to this game that I'm banking on. Just need 2 of the 3 and I think it hits. It's, dare I say...a gamble.

1) Purdy's first playoff start, 2nd time against Seattle. I think everyone is waiting for that inevitable rookie performance. Hoping for it in this spot.

2) The weather. It seems like what I've read in here so far aligns with my thinking: It's a neutralizer...always has been. Niners faithful have been proud of their natural grass surface...well, that could get sloppy.

3) Divisional opponents. As they say, it's hard to beat the same team 3 times in a season. Pete came up huge in a spot like this before (granted it was at home (Beast Quake)) and he's no dummy. He might not have all the horses that SF has, but I expect a solid game plan...

Honorable mention:

DK been inconsistent as heck this season. I see Seattle getting him involved early with Lockett doing what he does. Use the threat of those receivers to eventually set up the run. Let Bosa and crew pin their ears back and run right by 'em.

We'll see... *shrugs*
Exactly how many playoff starts does Geno have? Road ones at that. Against a very tough defense. I dont see why so many are backing a clearly regressing Geno and A Giants team that has played poorly against decent competition. I like being in opposition to the masses though.

I thought I heard this evening the weather is expected to have a much lesser upact than it appeared 24 hours ago. However, JAX should be highs in Low 40s with heavy winds.

I thought I heard this evening the weather is expected to have a much lesser upact than it appeared 24 hours ago. However, JAX should be highs in Low 40s with heavy winds.
At least the weather forecast I saw indicated that the winds would wane by nighttime

LOL I grew up one but celebrated like a school girl when McCown threw to Poole to eliminate them here

This has zero fan interest, I don't give two rips as a fan of the game. Vaguely care, not like they were a home team for me.

Giants are incredibly awful. It would be a disservice to see them play another game. I can also say that about Cousins, just shy of hate for him.

But the Giants are putrid, will go off as a public dog and I simply can't see Minny not scoring 40+ against that trash

DVOA in the playoffs doesn't seem like a you thing cap. There are 4 incredibly bad teams in the NFC that made the playoffs excluding Seattle. I don't for the life of me figure out how NYG makes a comfortable wager. Obviously many disagree which isn't unusual.
Everyone I know who can’t pick a winner if they had tomorrows paper likes the Giants. No handicapping needed for me on this one. Teasing Vikes to +10. GL

I hate the term but this is one of the rare playoff games where heavy “sharp” action is on the same side as the “can’t pick a game” group. This is where my girl would throw $20 on “the purple team” and win.

Edit; directed at the Giants/Vikes from a few posts up

I hate the term but this is one of the rare playoff games where heavy “sharp” action is on the same side as the “can’t pick a game” group. This is where my girl would throw $20 on “the purple team” and win.

Edit; directed at the Giants/Vikes from a few posts up
Odd that it's been a boring market for that game

Slightly over 50% wagers and money on Minny, line has been a dead fish at 3 which sets up for a pretty bad game usually

Just a thought I have had this week. Not going to argue the undeniable stats about a rookie QB in 1st playoff game....stats are what they are. I have seen comments here/elsewhere that Purdy may regress or it is time for him to screw up. I thought Purdy was over-rated in college and evidently the scouts agreed. But, his performance for 9ers has been very good. He has done what Shanahan ask him to do. He is surrounded by excellent players and a great team on both sides of the ball.

Why should we expect anything different today?
Choke alone is the likely best answer I would guess. Maybe we expect a better defense from Seattle in a playoff game?

How about expecting him to play as he has been playing? I think that is more likely. I have bet accordingly.

Looking like there will be a break fin 12-3. They will keep the tarp on as long as possible
Was going on Accuweather this morning on the tele, they can be aggressive with their forecasts while TWC tends to be more reserved

Still sounds like it'll be pretty windy

Thanks for telling of the tarp though, not sure I've ever heard of that in a football stadium.

Bay Area is hard to predict weather anyway, seems like it can turn on a dime

Just a thought I have had this week. Not going to argue the undeniable stats about a rookie QB in 1st playoff game....stats are what they are. I have seen comments here/elsewhere that Purdy may regress or it is time for him to screw up. I thought Purdy was over-rated in college and evidently the scouts agreed. But, his performance for 9ers has been very good. He has done what Shanahan ask him to do. He is surrounded by excellent players and a great team on both sides of the ball.

Choke alone is the likely best answer I would guess. Maybe we expect a better defense from Seattle in a playoff game?

How about expecting him to play as he has been playing? I think that is more likely. I have bet accordingly.
Naturally the holy grail for some of us, pains me to pull for him and bet against him

1673715564060.png
1673715646743.png

Obviously changed the program in ways no one could ever expect, great for him for actually getting a shot at this level.

Now need Seattle to muck this up

Attachments

• 1673715564176.png
    1673715564176.png
    45 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

I’ve watched every Purdy snap including preseason and there is nothing he is doing that is a fluke. His ball placement and IQ have been there from Day 1. The rest is Shanahan.

He also played 4 years of Big 10 ball which is rare these days so he has much more experience than most.

I’ve watched every Purdy snap including preseason and there is nothing he is doing that is a fluke. His ball placement and IQ have been there from Day 1. The rest is Shanahan.

He also played 4 years of Big 10 ball which is rare these days so he has much more experience than most.

I watch every snap and he has gotten away with 6-7 awful decisions and barely held on to what could have been a few fumbles. He turns his back to the defense I’ve never seen someone so small and (white) do that to run from the pass rush. He’s played as good as we could have hoped for but I would feel much better for this playoff run with a healthy Jimmy.

All true. He can get a playoff win as a rookie all the while Seattle still covers though. 9-10 points is still a lot of points.

Weather will be key. Tons of value in the dog if it’s a complete slop fest. Game becomes basically a toss up.

But it appears to me it won’t be that awful - and if that’s the case Geno will get eaten alive.

Recent monsoon games have not gone well for SF - beat at Chicago this year and beat as big favs against Colts a couple of years ago.

Weather will be key. Tons of value in the dog if it’s a complete slop fest. Game becomes basically a toss up.

But it appears to me it won’t be that awful - and if that’s the case Geno will get eaten alive.
I see it as more the likelihood that the big plays will be limited. Cutting will be tough and I assume they'll all be playing with those 1 inch cleats which neutralizes speed. Points should be earned in this one.

Probably won't know for sure until we see a couple drives but that's my guess.

Wind Advisory Until Noon. (Game 1:30)
Light Showers/Light Rain After 2:00 p.m. Until the End Of The Game.
What I'm Seeing...

Reactions: KJ
The worst of the weather has passed. Looked like a tropical storm earlier with the rain and wind. It'll still rain off and on during the game but it won't be as bad as this morning.

I watch every snap and he has gotten away with 6-7 awful decisions and barely held on to what could have been a few fumbles. He turns his back to the defense I’ve never seen someone so small and (white) do that to run from the pass rush. He’s played as good as we could have hoped for but I would feel much better for this playoff run with a healthy Jimmy.

I love Jimmy more than most and it’s undeniable to me at least that this team has another gear with Purdy because of his athleticism and willingness to throw outside the numbers. 6-7 awful decisions equates to 1 a game versus Jimmy who would have 2-3 per game.

I love Jimmy more than most and it’s undeniable to me at least that this team has another gear with Purdy because of his athleticism and willingness to throw outside the numbers. 6-7 awful decisions equates to 1 a game versus Jimmy who would have 2-3 per game.

Purdy has gotten away more potential p6s and game losing passes than Jimmy ever would have. We’ll see.

I see it as more the likelihood that the big plays will be limited. Cutting will be tough and I assume they'll all be playing with those 1 inch cleats which neutralizes speed. Points should be earned in this one.

Probably won't know for sure until we see a couple drives but that's my guess.

Levi is a top notch field - should have a chance to be okay. I don’t see it being too big an issue with the latest news.

Levi is a top notch field for drying. I don’t see it being too big an issue with the latest news.
These aren't normal rains

Cali is getting crushed by a once in 4 generations type rain

People have died, gotten swept away, etc

No field can just take that on and be like "we good"

These aren't normal rains

Cali is getting crushed by a once in 4 generations type rain

People have died, gotten swept away, etc

No field can just take that on and be like "we good"

They’ve had it tarped and been blow drying it all week in between rains.

Back