Is there a chance he'd take us back?

Yeah, we all know how it's done. I think Akers got a deal reworked too, but again, you have to do it quietly.

TO actually could have done it had he gone that route, as he was coming of, arguably, an MVP performance in the SB. But he f**ked it up, too.

Sheldon has come into his own, but there is no way he was going to work it like this. At best he might rework the back end of this thing, but it would have had to be extremely delicate. As I said, as we all know, he's getting bad advice.

But they're going to take the hard line, he'll end up starting, for his current contract. He'll be bitter, but he'll get over it.

I'll say this for Sheldon, he's not backing down and he makes some pretty strong points.

"When I did the deal, I knew it was a good deal," he said. "Nobody could anticipate that the CBA was going to go up 40 to 50 percent. Nobody wants to talk about the owners being billionaires and how they won't open their books."

"It's not like I'm trying to get near the top of the tier," Brown said. "I want them to pay me somewhere in the middle of the pack."

And more, here.

Boldin to the Ravens is apparently a done deal

As is Edwards to the Giants

As is Ocho Cinco staying with Cincy

So, as usual the Eagles get no one

Awesome

how do you figure?

This is basically coming out of Cleveland.

The Browns aren't going to announce it until draft day.

If it's not announced before they pick, and they take Crabtree, know it'll be announced before the end of the day.

It'll probably be announced sometime Saturday regardless of who they draft.

They're not announcing it because they're trying to trade the pick and if they announce it now everybody will assume they're out of the running for Crabtree. But this deal is almost certainly done.

Cards Claim No Offers For Boldin

Posted by Mike Florio: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:40 PM

Last week, the Arizona Cardinals made it known that they were willing to listen to offers for receiver Anquan Boldin. G.M. Rod Graves strongly implied that they already had been listening to such offers.

Graves is now claiming that no offers have been received.

"Quite a few teams have called but we have no offers," Graves said Tuesday, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

Translation? We don't like the offers we've received, so now we're going to try to scoop up the toothpaste and put it back in the tube in the hopes that we can keep Boldin on the team.

Yeah, that Super Bowl appearance meant nothing. They're still the Cardinals.

Translation? We don't like the offers we've received, so now we're going to try to scoop up the toothpaste and put it back in the tube in the hopes that we can keep Boldin on the team.

Yeah, that Super Bowl appearance meant nothing. They're still the Cardinals.

Exactly.

This is an 8-8 franchise and every win they get above that the staff and players do in spite of the organization.

how do you figure?

This is basically coming out of Cleveland.

The Browns aren't going to announce it until draft day.

If it's not announced before they pick, and they take Crabtree, know it'll be announced before the end of the day.

It'll probably be announced sometime Saturday regardless of who they draft.

They're not announcing it because they're trying to trade the pick and if they announce it now everybody will assume they're out of the running for Crabtree. But this deal is almost certainly done.

Anyone see Crabtree on ESPN live this AM? No threat of him becoming a Rhodes Scholar WR...but I still hope he drops to Oakland @ 7.

BROWNS BAILING ON CRABTREE?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2009, 11:51 a.m.

As recently as last week, the Browns had a Milk Bone in their pockets for Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree.

Now? Not.

According to Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns “have all but crossed off” Crabtree from the draft board.

The problem apparently arose from his visit to Cleveland last week, during which he allegedly brought a “diva attitude” to the Dawg Pound, and that didn’t sit well with a head coach who likes to snub players when he sees them at offseason functions. Allegedly.

Grossi writes that, after Crabtree left, the team lined up eleventh-hour workouts with Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina, Kenny Britt of Rutgers, and Mohamed Massaquoi of Georgia — one or more of whom could be available when the Browns pick in round two.

Are we surprised? Hell no. As we pointed out yesterday, Crabtree’s insistence that he could run a sub-4.4 while injured when he can’t run a sub-4.5 while healthy makes us wonder whether he gets it.

Lost in all this fuss about Crabtree is the reality that the signs are pointing even more strongly to the Browns trading receiver Braylon Edwards.

Of course, there’s a chance that the Browns have opted to bad mouth Crabtree in the hopes of ensuring that no one leap frogs them at No. 5 to get him.

If that’s the case, they’d better be sure that Crabtree is in on the ruse.

See the thing is...you cant believe anything anybody says this week

95% of it is pure bullshit

So who really knows whats going on??

• The buzz about the Chiefs resuming their attempts to trade veteran tight end Tony Gonzalez has re-started, and it sounds as if the Eagles might have nosed ahead of the Falcons as the most likely trade partner. Philly is thought to be willing to give up a third-rounder for Gonzalez. But Kansas City is seeking at least a second-round pick for a player it considers a future Hall of Famer, and may not be willing to bear the brunt of any criticism that could come if it's perceived to have given away Gonzalez too cheaply.

It's so impossible to know right now who's saying what why.

However, the language used by Grossi in that report out of Cleveland does suggest they're really throwing Crabtree under the bus. The reason this would make sense is because the only thing that seems certain about what Mangini is going to do in Cleveland is turn over that roster, completely, within a year or two.

It's supreme arrogance. And part of the reason they're trading Braylon now is not just because his value's high, but because Mangini doesn't like his attitude.

Truthfully, at this point I think I'd be surprised if the Browns pick at number five at all. I think they trade down.

I like that Tony Gonzalez report. Tough to see them giving up a number two pick, though. Again, unless they're going to trade a lot of those late rounders to move up.

IMO, you cannot give up a 2nd rounder for a player at the very end of his career...even a HOF player.
Gonzalez is going into his 13th year...3rd rd and Philly is looking damn good....:shake:

Id give up a second for him

we got maybe two years left of McNabb and Westbrook

might as well push all in at some point

Shit if I were running the team, Id give a 2nd for Gonzo and a 1st and 3rd for Boldin...

F the draft...its not like Andy has a Bellichickian history in the thing

You walk out with Peters, Boldin and Gonzo?? I dont think youre gonna do any better with the four projects they woulda taken with the picks anyway...

(But this will never ever ever ever happen)

Im going on a fantasy rant for a second here...

Youre the Eagles. Youve got 39 million dollars or some such number under cap. Youve got McNabb and Westbrook who have maybe 3 years left. You have a coach who should be feeling some heat for losing a 3rd NFC Title game as a favorite. Why wouldnt you bring in 3 solid pro bowl level veterans to help you get over damn hump?? Why not go all in??? Thats whats so frustrating...they never go for it. They do enough to remain highly competitive but never go the extra step to become truly elite. The Offseason Salary Cap Championship of the World means too much to them. I mean, Im not saying go all Daniel Snyder all the sudden, but theres gotta be a middle ground somewhere there...

I actually think we have at least two years, probably more like five or six of Donovan if you want to know the truth.

But B-West, yeah, I could see two more, maybe three.

Oddly enough, as much as I like Gonzo--I've always thought he's about as good a locker room and civic-minded guy as he is a player--I'm not sure I want him unless it's for a song.

I'm not a one-and-done guy. I don't have any desire to see the Birds buy their way to the SB only to then sell everybody off three days later.

The Eagles just did a very smart thing with the OL. We can be set there for years to come. You could argue the DL is in a similar place, though not because of individual talent so much as collective depth.

The Birds need basically four things right now in my mind, a TE who can demand coverage shifts, a RB, a true, big #1 WR, and depth in the secondary.

Granted, Tony G. does what they need, but I wonder, if Pettigrew is sitting there at 21 if he's not the better option.

And I fully believe you can get an RB in the second round. Likewise I think Tate, the WR from UNC will be there too, especially now that he's been busted for weed. He already had some questions to him, this just pushes him back.

You know, the other guy they could look at deep in the draft since they have all those picks is Demetrius Byrd from LSU. Because he was in that car accident he's way, way down the list now and if he was healthy (and they say he'll eventually be fine) he'd probably be a 2nd or 3rd round guy.

They've done this before--and actually it may be why they're sticking it to Sheldon--with Jack Ikegwuonu, the corner they got in the 4th round who before his injury was supposed to be a first round guy.

Im not saying go all Daniel Snyder all the sudden, but theres gotta be a middle ground somewhere there...

With this I agree. Where you, me, and most fans cannot side with the Eagles is that we believe there are certain players it's worth paying the price for. The Eagles don't believe that.

They believe there are certain players who are worth renegotiating with, but they never, ever overpay. And the reality is, sometimes--not a lot, but sometimes--you NEED to overpay. You do it to make a statement, to that guy, to that roster, to your fans, etc.

Some guys are worth that.

The Eagles, however, believe everybody is replaceable.

Everybody.

The newest Eagle? What does the meter say?
by Les Bowen and Paul Domowitch
Philadelphia Daily News
Daily News sports writers Les Bowen and Paul Domowitch have targeted seven players the Eagles could draft Saturday with their first pick, 21st overall. Here is what they have to say about each player and a rating from 1 to 10 on the chance that he will be selected by the Eagles (1 is least likely; 10 is most likely):

Knowshon Moreno, running back, Georgia

Paul Domowitch: The Eagles need somebody to share the ball-carrying load with Brian Westbrook, and this guy fits their offense better than a $4,000 Armani suit. They like him a lot, and if he's there at No. 21, it would be a no-brainer. But getting him probably is going to require a six-spot tradeup to 15. METER READING: 9
Les Bowen: This is the guy most experts think the Eagles want and should draft, even if they have to trade up into the teens. That probably means they have no intention of drafting him. Birds haven't gone for a first-round RB since Keith Byars in 1986. But Brian Westbrook turns 30 this year, and Correll Buckhalter is in Denver. It's time for a serious move at this position, not a cross-your-fingers-and-hope project. If Moreno isn't an excellent pro, just about every draft analyst in the world is horribly wrong. METER READING: 8

Donald Brown, running back, Connecticut

Paul Domowitch: Getting Brown wouldn't require a tradeup. In fact, the Eagles might even be able to slide down later in the round and grab him. While he can catch the ball and is a willing blocker, he's not quite as physical a runner as Moreno. METER READING: 8
Les Bowen: I don't think the Birds will take this well-rounded UConn running back at 21, but they might very well trade down a bit and draft him. He's rated a notch below Moreno, but is said to be very good at the things the Eagles want a back to do, and he's a high-character guy. Could they just draft him in the second round? Not with the 53rd overall pick - I think he'll go considerably earlier than that. METER READING: 4

Hakeem Nicks, wide receiver, North Carolina

Paul Domowitch: I know, I know. The Eagles taking a wideout in the first round seems as likely as June snow. But if they're not going to make a play for the Cardinals' Anquan Boldin, why not grab the guy in this draft who is the closest thing to Boldin? METER READING: 7
Les Bowen: If you can't trade for Anquan Boldin - and the Eagles still could, which would make all this who-are-they-going-to-take-in-the-first-round stuff as moot as it has been the past 2 years - why not draft the guy who is often compared to him? Nicks, from North Carolina, is a 6-1, 212-pound wideout with excellent hands and strength. He lacks Darrius Heyward-Bey's speed. This is another guy you might be able to trade down a half-dozen slots or so and still get. METER READING: 3

Darius Butler, cornerback, Connecticut

Paul Domowitch: Who knows where the Sheldon Brown saga is headed, but you never can have too many good corners. Another plus: He's a return guy, who could help lighten DeSean Jackson's load. Like Moreno, they'd probably have to trade up a few spots to get him, though. METER READING: 6
Les Bowen: I can't believe our draft meter has two UConn players in it, but here we are. This cornerback can also play wideout and run back kicks. The Eagles are always going to be intrigued by athletic corners, and with Sheldon Brown unhappy, you can't discount the possiblity of a first-round CB. EAGLES METER: 2

Brandon Pettigrew, tight end, Oklahoma State

Paul Domowitch: The Eagles like Brent Celek's upside and really aren't in the market for a No. 1 tight end. But this guy is the complete catch-and-block package, and if he's there at 21, he'd be tough to take a pass on. METER READING: 6
Les Bowen: I believe the Eagles when they say they like Brent Celek as their starting tight end. Several mock drafts have them taking Pettigrew, the draft's top TE, out of need, but I think the running back need is bigger and the wideout need might be more pressing, as well. The Eagles will draft a tight end, but I'd be a little surprised if it was in the first round, at 21. METER READING: 4

Robert Ayers, defensive end, Tennessee

Paul Domowitch: The Eagles seem happy with their defensive line, but the 6-3, 272-pound Ayers would be a fun toy for Jim Johnson. He's out of the Justin Tuck mold and you could move him all over the place. He and Victor Abiamiri make a formidable pair of nickel defensive tackles. METER READING: 4
Les Bowen: This big defensive end was a bit of a disappointment until his senior season at Tennessee, but he made himself into a first-round pick with an excellent year. The Eagles have drafted a lot of defensive lineman high during the Andy Reid era; that's partly because the defense had to be rebuilt as guys like Hugh Douglas and Hollis Thomas cycled out. Do they have a pressing need now? No, but a difference-maker at DE is something that always catches the Birds' interest. He might not last to 21. METER READING: 5

Darrius Heyward-Bey, wide receiver, Maryland

Paul Domowitch: Heyward-Bey is the fastest guy in the draft and would give the Eagles another receiver who would have opposing safeties back-pedaling as soon as the ball is snapped. My gut tells me, though, that the Ravens will be trading up to get him. METER READING: 4
Les Bowen: A wide receiver? The Eagles? We will now pause for a collective snort of derision. OK, now we're back. Fact is, the Birds have shown pretty strong interest. I would say they need a running back more, but they might feel they can get what they need there in the second or third round. I think, deep down, they know they'd be better with a legit No. 1 wideout, a big, fast, skilled, receiver. This guy from Maryland could be it. METER READING: 6

Im just gonna chalk this one up to the you cant believe anything you read this week theory...but if its true? What. The. Fuck.

Source: Eagles Shopping Shawn Andrews
Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2009, 12:18 p.m.

OK, now this is getting weird.

Less than two months after signing the brother of guard Shawn <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_1_0">Andrews</nobr> to a big-money free-agent deal and less than a week after trading for his college roommate at Arkansas (Jason Peters) and signing Peters to a big-money deal, the Philadelphia Eagles are dangling Shawn Andrews.

A league source tells us that the Eagles have contacted at least one team about moving the enigmatic Pro <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_2_0">Bowl</nobr> guard.

Shawn Andrews missed most if not all of training camp last year, due to clinical depression. Then, he suffered a back injury in the second week of the season and never returned.

The thinking was that the arrival of Stacy Andrews and Jason Peters would have helped get Shawn Andrews rejuvenated. Recently, it has been speculated that Shawn Andrews now isn’t happy with his own contract, in light of the monster deals paid to his brother and his friend.

Andrews is signed through 2015 at base salaries of $750,000 (2009), $2 million (2010), $2.5 million (2011), $2.75 million (2012), $3.75 million (2013), $5.25 million (2014), and $6.25 million (2015).

From an Eagles Message board, so take with half a grain of salt...

(that being said, Id do this in about a quarter of a nano second)

John Clayton on ESPN is reporting the following trade proposal rumor:

Shawn Andrews, Sheldon Brown and the Eagles #21 draft pick for Braylon Edwards and Clevelands' #5 draft pick.

From ESPN: (whos source I think is me in this thread)

But could another team swoop in, decide that their first-rounder is worth sending in exchange for Edwards? Absolutely. The Philadelphia Eagles have been repeatedly mentioned in the trade rumors involving Anquan Boldin, and they could decide to acquire Edwards in similar fashion to give Donovan McNabb another new target. In an "all-or-nothing" trade scenario, the Eagles could send away the relevant asking price for Edwards/Boldin AND Tony Gonzalez - a first and third round pick followed by a second-rounder, respectively - and then not make their first pick until the fifth round. They'd have to wait a long, long time to make their first selection, but they'd have also added Jason Peters (who may or may not be the best left tackle in the league depending on who you ask), Edwards or Boldin (a top-flight wide receiver) and Gonzalez (a first-ballot Hall-of-Famer with some gas left in the tank). The Eagles certainly have the salary cap space to accomodate another superstar or two, but the problem here is that the Eagles do need to upgrade their backfield, and you can forget about anyone who will make an impact being around in the fifth round.

:: patiently waiting for Joe to awaken from his pharmaceutical induced coma::

Yawn. Hi everybody.

=)

Yeah, I can't see the Birds trading Shawn Andrews. They couldn't be that stupid. Well, they could. But you have to think part of the reason Stacey came here was because of Shawn. And you might be able to trade Shawn down the road, but not immediately. You'd give Stacey every reason to pout and not play up to his potential.

I also wouldn't really put much stock into that Sheldon/Shawn for Braylon rumor. The Browns want to turn over that roster, but those positions aren't at the top of their list. That just seems to be wishful thinking on the part of some fan somewhere.

what is Andrews value right now? The eagles pick the most inopportune times to shop thier good players.....grrrr.

Well, you can cross Gonzalez off your list

Report: Gonzalez Traded To Falcons
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 23, 2009, 2:30 p.m.

The Kansas City <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">Chiefs</nobr> have traded Pro Bowl tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Atlanta Falcons in exchange for a second-round draft pick, according to Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com.

This marks the first trade between former New England Patriots colleagues Scott Pioli, the Chiefs’ General Manager, and Thomas Dimitroff, Falcons’ General Manager.

Ironically, Gonzalez rejected a trade to Atlanta last year.

Now, though, the Falcons have an established young quarterback in Matt Ryan.

Im starting to think most likely scenario is no trade for an impact player, Moreno and Pettigrew are both gone at 21 and they trade down (and probably get fleeced doing it)

I might throw up if Dallas got Boldin.

And apparently Gonzo went to Atlanta for a second round pick--next year. Not this year.

That gets me a little.

Last I heard, Tennessee was interested

who knows

thank god all this shit will be done with by Sunday

I cant take the conflicting rumors and stories anymore

Price has come down on Boldin.

Now they'll do it for a two.

Sal Pal says the Giants would be in the best position for that since they have two second round picks.

If they dont give a fucking 2 for Boldin im gonna be so damn pissed

I swear, I almost got this post word for word before I clicked on the link.

You're the greatest, Smoke.

I can tell already this weekend isnt gonna end well vis-a-vis the love/hate (mostly hate) relationship between me and the Eagles front office

Get ready to get hype, Smoke.

Peter King on PTI says the Cardinals are "shocked" that "no team," not one, has seriously pursued Boldin.

I don't know why, but I've been thinking for awhile now that you guys would end up with him. It's not so shocking when you consider his price tag. Philly is a team that can handle/accommodate that.

Source: New interest in Cards' Boldin

Comment Email Print Share<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Source:%20Boldin%20draws%20interest%20of%20Ravens,%20Eagles", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4096399", published: "2009-04-24" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink")); </SCRIPT>
<CITE class=source>ESPN.com news services</CITE>
<CITE class=source>

</CITE><!-- end mod-article-title --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->The Arizona Cardinals continued to entertain offers for Anquan Boldin on Friday, with the Baltimore Ravens and Philadelphia Eagles showing serious interest in the disgruntled receiver, an NFL source told ESPN's Pedro Gomez.

The Cardinals were willing to take offers for less than originally thought for Boldin, two sources told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio. Boldin could be had for a second-round pick and other considerations, rather than the first- and third-round pick originally projected, the sources said.

The Cardinals have also fielded calls from the New York Jets and New York Giants, the sources told Paolantonio.

The Cardinals and Tennessee Titans denied a previously reported offer had been accepted or made.

"I'll just say the reports today are erroneous," Cardinals general manager Rod Graves told The Associated Press late Friday. "We have not received any offers today with respect of Anquan."

But Graves told Gomez the Cardinals, who have the 31st pick in Saturday's draft, are willing to listen to any offers and have never asked for anything or made "trade demands."

"Our position is still the same," Graves said, according to the AP. "That is we expect at some point we're going to sit down with him and talk with him about an extension."

Despite possible movement in trade talks, teammate and fellow receiver Larry Fitzgerald said Friday he thought Boldin would like to stay with the Cardinals.

"I don't think he really wants to go," Fitzgerald said, according to The Associated Press. "He's been out there six years. His family is comfortable; his son is in school. There's a lot of things that I think will be conducive for him to stay.

"But this is a business. You never know what's going to happen."
Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt had repeatedly emphasized at the team's pre-draft news conference Tuesday that they would be happy to keep Boldin and eventually try to sign him to a new contract.

"Quite a few teams have called but we have no offers from those teams," Graves said Tuesday. "Anything can evolve from this point through draft day so that's where it is right now."

Boldin expressed extreme displeasure with his contract in last season's training camp, accusing Cardinals management of failing to follow through on a promise of a new deal and vowing never to re-sign with Arizona.
Still, he went on to have his third Pro Bowl season in six years in the NFL as the Cardinals advanced to the Super Bowl.

"I didn't say a trade was necessary," Boldin said last week. "I just want something to get resolved. It's something that's gone on long enough."
Boldin has two years remaining on a four-year, $22.25 million contract. He earned $4 million last season.

By comparison, Fitzgerald is in the second season of a four-year, $40 million deal, with $30 million guaranteed. Fitzgerald and quarterback Kurt Warner have said they would be open to altering their contracts in order to keep Boldin.

"He was a big part of what we were able to do last year," said Fitzgerald, who was participating in an event promoting the "Madden NFL" video game. "He's helped me out tremendously. I hope he's with us for the rest of his career."

Information from ESPN's Pedro Gomez, Sal Paolantonio, Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press was used in this report.

<!-- end story body -->

Back