Is there a chance he'd take us back?

Another point in the plus column for doing the Boldin deal? That potential salary cap mess coming. Sign Boldin, give Donovan his redone deal and pretty much all of our major talent will be locked up for multiple years and whatever happens with the cap and the CBA basically becomes irrelevant in Philly.

Jason Peters an Eagle! Eagles GM Tom Heckert at 4:45!

Mikey Miss chats with Eagles GM Tom Heckert today at 4:45 about the Eagles acquiring Jason Peters from the Bills and the up and coming draft.

Somebody needs to make the point to Heckert and Andy that this shouldn't take Boldin off the table because, as I said above, pulling in a starting WR and OT makes this draft a complete, undeniable success.

Peters Passes Physical
Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 17, 2009, 4:16 p.m.

Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jason Peters has passed his physical with the Philadelphia Eagles following his trade from the Buffalo <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_1_0">Bills</nobr> today, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

Per the report, Peters is at the Eagles’ training complex.

Citing a team source, Caplan reported that the trade terms were agreed upon this morning and has been in the works ever since the Eagles’ playoff loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

The Eagles’ fallback plan if the Peters deal hadn’t been executed was to shift right offensive guard Shawn Andrews to left tackle, according to a team source.

Of course, the success of the trade will hinge upon whether Peters performs to an optimum level. Sometimes, Peters’ desire and work ethic have been questioned.

“If he’s motivated, the Eagles got a steal,” <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_7_0">NFL</nobr> analyst and former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski told Scout.com. “The guy is really talented, but he didn’t play at the same level last season that he did previously.”

The Eagles are still working on a new contract for Peters as talks have begun with his Indiana-based agent, Eugene Parker.

IT’S OFFICIAL: EAGLES AGREE TO TERMS WITH PETERS

The Philadelphia Eagles announced tonight that they have agreed to a new six-year contract with Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jason Peters after acquiring him via a trade earlier today from the Buffalo Bills.

Questions Swirl Regarding Boldin’s Hip

Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2009, 10:20 p.m.
As teams look into the possibility of trading for Cardinals receiver Anquan <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_16_0">Boldin</nobr>, questions are swirling in league circles regarding whether and to what extent he might have a chronic hip condition that could result in a shorter-than-expected career.
Boldin missed some time in 2007 with a hip injury. In six NFL seasons, he has played in all 16 games only twice.
On one hand, this reality confirms his physical, reckless style. On the other hand, it makes the 28-year-old receiver potentially similar to a 28-year-old running back.
So if/when someone swings a trade for Boldin, they might be getting a guy who only has two or three high-end years of production left.
Then again, those two or three years of high-end production could help the right team win two or three Super Bowls

Well that's not good.

The first thing that happened when I read that was really loud alarm bells went off in my head.

Maybe we stay where we are. Go for Moreno at RB than look toward that 2nd WR from UNC or Kenny Britt from Rutgers in round two. We'd be Donovan, B-West and the kids out there, though.

Peters Didn’t Know He Gave Up 11.5 Sacks Last Year

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2009, 1:06 p.m.
Well, now we know why former Bills tackle Jason Peters thought he was worth $10 million per year despite giving up 11.5 sack last season.
He didn’t know he gave up 11.5 sacks last season.
“That’s the first time I’ve heard that stat,” Peters said Sunday during his first press conference as a member of the Eagles. “I don’t recall giving up that many.
“If they charged me with that many, so what?” Peters said. “I’m an Eagle now. If I give up 11.5 sacks, I’m only human. I’m going to give 100 percent on every play.”
Of course, that thinking could apply to anyone who is paid $10 million per year to play left tackle at the <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_4_0">NFL </nobr>level.
Hell, even I could use it. Let’s give it a try.
“If I give up [insert total number of offensive snaps for the season] sacks, I’m only human. I’m going to give 100 percent on every play.”
Yep. It works. Where’s my bonus check?
Peters also seemed to admit that maybe he didn’t give 100 percent on every play last year because he wasn’t happy with his contract.
“I was thinking about it sometimes,” he said. “If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract. It doesn’t affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year but later on in the year it wasn’t a big deal.”
So, Philly fans, if Peters ends up being not very good at left tackle, remember this as the moment when you first wondered whether it was a good idea to trade for him.

I'll wait to see them play before I agree with you, Smoke, but on paper we should utterly dominate some teams.

For example, you can circle KC on the schedule, probably Denver too.

Sacks given up per Left Tackle
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 225, 213);" size="1">Very interesting stats:

1. Ryan Clady, Denver, 0.5 sack
2. Michael Roos, Tennessee, 1 sack PRO BOWLER
3-T. Tony Ugoh, Indianapolis, 2 sacks* (Started 11)
3-T. Tra Thomas, Philadelphia, 2 sacks
3-T. Jared Gaither, Baltimore, 2 sacks* (He missed first quarter of Philadelphia game because of a shoulder injury)
7. Jake Long, Miami, 2.5 sacks
8-T. Marcus McNeill, San Diego, 3 sacks* (13 games)
8-T. Chris Samuels, Washington, 3 sacks* (Only appeared in 12 games)
8-T. Jordan Gross, Carolina, 3 sacks* (Missed 1 game) PRO BOWLER
8-T. Jammal Brown, New Orleans, 3 sacks* (Missed 1 game)
8-T. Todd Weiner, Atlanta, 3 sacks* (Started 10 games and appeared in 15)
13-T. Joe Thomas, Cleveland, 3.5 sacks PRO BOWLER
13-T. Walter Jones, Seattle, 3.5 sacks* (12 games) PRO BOWLER
15-T. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, NY Jets, 4 sacks
15-T. Bryant McKinnie, Minnesota, 4 sacks* (11 games)
15-T. Max Starks, Pittsburgh, 4 sacks* (10 starts)
18. Brandon Albert, Kansas City, 4.5 sacks* (Missed 1 game)
19. Levi Jones, Cincinnati, 5.5 sacks* (10 games)
20. Mike Gandy, Arizona, 6.25 sacks
21-T. Chad Clifton, Green Bay, 6.5 sacks* (missed 1 game)
21-T. David Diehl, NY Giants, 6.5 sacks
23. Flozell Adams, Dallas, 7.25 PRO BOWLER
24-T. Khalif Barnes, Jacksonville, 7.5 sacks
24-T. Matt Light, New England, 7.5 sacks
24-T. Kwame Harris, 7.5 sacks* (Started 11, appeared in 13)
27. Donald Penn, Tampa Bay, 8 sacks
28. Joe Staley, San Francisco, 8.5 sacks
29. Jeff Backus, Detroit, 9.25 sacks
30. John St. Clair, Chicago, 9.75 sacks
T-31. Duane Brown, Houston, 11.5 sacks
T-31. Jason Peters, Buffalo, 11.5 sacks* PRO BOWLER (13 games)

This post isn't a slam against Philly or Peters...these stats can be very misleading...and IMO, as long as he's motivated he'll be a very good LT. But you have to wonder where the hell his head was at LY........:shake:

Last edited:
not sure how reliable those stats are or where you got em', but if thats how things went down, then wow for Ryan Clady... he shoulda had rookie of the year to give up only half a sack in the NFL... crazy.

The Broncos only gave up like 11 sacks on the year total.

It's unreal when you think someone like Demarcus Ware had 20 by himself.

Did Philly Fleece The Bills?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 9:39 a.m.

Though it remains to be seen whether the Eagles’ investment in left tackle Jason Peters pays off, one league source with no connection to the Eagles or the Bills believes that the franchise from Philly fleeced North America’s team.

“Buffalo gave Peters away,” the source said. “[Bills COO Russ] Brandon should be fired on the spot. He has no clue as to what value means. Philly made the best deal in the last 10 years of the <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_120_0">NFL</nobr>.”

Wow.

We’re still skeptical as to Peters’ true value. Undrafted as a tight end, he gradually became a solid left tackle. Though getting a player like that might have been worth the picks from the glorified crapshoot job fair that is the NFL draft, $10 million per year is a lot of money to pay to a guy who gave up 11.5 sacks last year and didn’t know it.

Eagles Still In Play For Boldin?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 7:13 a.m.

Once the Eagles sent the 28th overall pick to the Bills as part of a package resulting in the acquisition of left tackle Jason Peters, many assumed that this transaction took the Eagles out of play for receiver Anquan Boldin, since it would undoubtedly require the Eagles to cough up their other first-round pick — No. 21 overall.

Not so.

We’re always looking for players that we think can make us better,” president Joe Banner said, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I think we’ve proven many times that we’d be willing to do what it takes, whether it be a trade or do something with somebody’s contract in order to get them here.”

And this apparently could mean shipping the Eagles’ other first-round pick to another team.

“There are teams that start the year with only one first-round draft pick and they’ve traded them,” Banner said. “If we made another trade with a first-round draft pick, we’d just be in the same position as them. I think we’ll do whatever we evaluate to be the best move with any of the available players. . . . Some of the evaluation is about the quality of what we have at certain positions.”

Right, some teams do surrender their first-round picks. But first-round picks can become young players who help form the nucleus of the team for years to come. Using one first-round pick for a 27-year-old tackle and, potentially, the other one for a 28-year-old receiver would result in two fewer good young players who could be part of the team deep into the next decade.

And to the extent that quarterback Donovan McNabb wants the team to bring in more players so that they can win now, Banner’s remarks might cause McNabb to increase the pressure a bit — which a potential trade demand as his ultimate leverage.

But here’s what might actually be going on. Even if the Eagles have decided to use their other first-round pick, they need to feign interest in Boldin in the hopes of driving up the price that another team — such as the Giants — might pay for Boldin.

I think Banners full of shit...according to Anthony Gargano of WIP whos usually very plugged into whats going on, the Eagles have no interest whatsoever in Boldin...

I wanted Boldin bad. Then that hip rumor surfaced. Now, I'm pretty much officially scared off.

There are a lot of options right now.

At 21 they can go after Hakeem Nicks. The guy is 6'3", a four year guy, and has the accepted best hands of any WR in the draft. You know he can run routes based on his four years and UNC not being a spread team, he should fit well.

Or they could go after Brandon Pettigrew or Jarred Cook. Take whichever TE you think is better as a safety blanket for Donovan unless you believe--which may be true--that there are far better TEs next year.

Knowshown Moreno looks like he'll probably be there as well.

Whichever one you don't pick you can look to the second round and go with Kenny Britt from Rutgers or Brandon Tate from UNC.

And a handuful of RBs will be left in round two as well.

From Peter King:

Kenny Britt is flaky. Darrius Heyward-Bey's hands and route-running are suspect. Hakeem Nicks was overweight and not in great shape when the Ravens worked him out Friday. In other words, the receivers are a suspect group, and a few of them we thought would be picked in the first round are going in the second.

Remember last year when everyone thought DeSean Jackson was a first rounder and he fell to the second??

Maybe we get Moreno/Pettigrew in the first (I think thats who its between at 21 and cant decide which I like better...think Im leaning Moreno though) and then Nicks in the second round?

Id take that...

Kenny Britt is flaky. Darrius Heyward-Bey's hands and route-running are suspect. Hakeem Nicks was overweight and not in great shape when the Ravens worked him out Friday. In other words, the receivers are a suspect group, and a few of them we thought would be picked in the first round are going in the second.

I disagree with 2/3 of this.

Nicks was heavy for either the combine or his workout, I forget which, but the above contradicts other reports that say he's since lost the weight. I think that's sort of a flag that he put it on in the first place, but it's not that big of a deal. Besides, you know he can catch the ball--and you've worked him out privately so you know if he can run the routes or not and you should have an idea if he's mentally a little lazy or not.

Kenny Britt has Schiano's seal of approval and all his teammates say that the rep he's getting is undeserved. If Schiano says the guy's head is on straight, I'm inclined to believe it, he's put out a couple of NFLers already who seem like they know the score.

Heyward-Bey is the only one I would agree on only because the impression I get of that guy is that he's all speed and nothing else right now. Everything I read says he's really raw. The Birds don't need that. They need polished. It's why, much as I love Percy Harvin, I'd stay away from him even if we didn't have Desean playing that role already.

Sal Pal is confirming it on 950ESPN saying hes been wanting out since the whole Lito/Samuels thing went down and Dawkins pretty much sealed it...

Also says hes not so sure the Eagles dont want to trade him anyway...

By the way if you want some good Eagles talk for the next few hours...

sr950.com

Sal Pal is filling in for Mikey Miss....

Sal Pal is confirming it on 950ESPN saying hes been wanting out since the whole Lito/Samuels thing went down and Dawkins pretty much sealed it...

Also says hes not so sure the Eagles dont want to trade him anyway...

This was rumored a while back. I forget where I heard it. But I posted it somewhere. The rumor was the Eagles could give Brown and a pick to the Cards for Boldin. Brown is one of the lowest paid CBs in the league. The Eagles, in fear of this, actually were interested in Jabari Greer, but he signed with the Saints. This is another reason why Hansen was paid starter money despite being a 3rd CB. The Eagles think Hansen is an NFL starter, but if Brown does leave, the Eagles need another experienced CB to bring in.

Either way, I'd love to see Brown and a pick go to Zona. Obviously not our 1st rounder. We'd still get Boldin, and we'd have #21 to use on Moreno or Pettigrew.

Sheldon Brown Wants Out Of Philly?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 4:07 p.m.

Just as it was beginning to feel like the Eagles had gotten their roster under control in the wake of an offseason that featured a trade of disgruntled cornerback Lito <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_5_0">Sheppard</nobr> and the arrival of two new starting offensive tackles, turmoil could be on the immediate horizon.

ESPN reports that cornerback Sheldon <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_6_0">Brown</nobr>, who became a starter last year after Asante Samuel arrived and Sheppard was demoted, now wants to be traded.

Oy.

Brown is due to receive base salaries of $2 million, $2.5 million, $3.5 million, and $4.25 million over the next four seasons — not bad money but not hardly the kind of coin a starting <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_9_0">NFL</nobr> cornerback should be getting.
Brown’s not the only guy who could be grumbling.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, guard Shawn <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_12_0">Andrews</nobr> might want a new contract, given the big piles of money recently given to the new right tackle (who also happens to be Shawn Andrews’ brother) and the new left tackle (who also happens to be Shawn Andrews’ former college teammate).

The problem arises from that ill-advised decade-long deal that the Eagles gave to Andrews several years ago. The package now appears to be grossly substandard, with salaries of $750,000 in 2009, $2 million in 2010, $2.5 million in 2011, $2.75 million in 2012, $3.75 million in 2013, and $5.25 million in 2014.

In contrast, Stacy <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_15_0">Andrews</nobr> is due to earn base salaries of $1.62 million, $2.95 million, $4.75 million, $5.57 million, $7 million, and $6.75 million over the next six years.

And Jason Peters is getting an average of $10 million per year on a six-year deal.

So we can understand why Shawn Andrews would be pissed off.

Then again, we still can’t understand why Shawn Andrews signed such a long-term deal. Or why his agent let him do it.

It's problem the Eagles have faced for years now. They are so business savvy, they sign these guys to discounted long term deals before they get REALLY good. I'm not concerned about Andrews. He really doesn't have much leverage considered his mental issues and physical injuries.

It's POSSIBLE they could restructure Brown's deal, but the only time I recall the Eagles doing that was with Westbrook. I'm fine with dealing Brown because his value should be pretty high. He could be used in a Boldin deal.

Eagles say they won't consider dealing Brown
No matter that Sheldon Brown wants a trade, because the Eagles say they are not even willing to consider it.

The team released a surprising statement moments ago in response to an ESPN report that was confirmed by the Daily News that Brown is frustrated with his salary and wants to be dealt because the team would not renegotiate his contract.

Here is the text of the statement:

“It’s very unfortunate and counterproductive that Sheldon has chosen to go public with his feelings about his situation. After thorough evaluation by himself and discussions with his family and agents, he chose to accept an extension of his rookie contract early that provided his family financial security for the rest of his life. It removed any concerns about health or performance that all other players in his draft class had to worry about. He has three years remaining on that contract and, after taking the signing bonus and his first two years of salary into account, we feel that Sheldon is being paid fairly. Focusing only on a player’s salary for a given year is not a valid analysis.

“There have been league MVP’s, Super Bowl champion quarterbacks, and perennial Pro Bowlers who have been in a similar situation. All of their teams have required them to wait until their contract expired or there was only one year remaining before any adjustment took place. It is only in the most extraordinary, in fact, less than a handful of circumstances in the last ten years that any players two new years into a contract with three years left have been adjusted. We don’t think this qualifies as an extraordinary circumstance.

“Sheldon’s comments under the circumstances actually serve to devalue him in a trade if we were willing to consider it; which we are not.”

Damn...Eagles laid the verbal smackdown on Sheldon...im sure that will go over well

Could be a ploy to the other teams. Maybe they WOULD trade him, but they don't want to look desperate and admit it like the Cardinals have done with Boldin. At least saying, they won't deal will make other teams try harder.

Is Brown even really that good? I mean Lito was probably the better cover guy...

and whatd they get for him? a 5th?

Brown aint goin nowhere

It’s very unfortunate and counterproductive that Sheldon has chosen to go public with his feelings about his situation.

That's code for, "you dumb motherf**ker, how long have you been in this town? You know that you don't open your yap if you want to get something done."

He's going nowhere. I'd call him in and tell him that we value him, try and get him to settle down. But he's getting bad advice. This never works with the Birds, and as much as I like him, much as I liked Lito, neither is Asante Sammuel. They're both very good starters, second corner guys.

They're going to lay down the law with him. I'm not that worried.

Yet.

Brown and a 3rd for Boldin sounds good.

And do what on the outside, start Hanson?

I know we've been able to draft/produce corners for some time, but do you really think we're good enough to trade away two starting corners in the same year?

Rumor all over ESPN today is that the Birds are targeting Knowshon with their first pick and that they're willing to trade up to get him if they think they're going to lose him.

Just FYI.

From the Boldin files:

Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun suggests that tight end Todd Heap and running back Willis McGahee could be shipped to Arizona along with a draft pick in exchange for Boldin.

If that's true, more power to 'em. Arizona wins in that deal given their personnel. Heap's an immediate threat and can be used to teach Pope how to play the position. McGahee is a legit starting RB and replaces Edge.

Im tellin ya...Boldins not happening and Sheldon aint goin nowhere

He can bitch and whine and moan all he wants...he fucked up by going public and theres no way hes going anywhere...

he can sit out for 4 years for all the eagles care

I agree that Sheldon isn't going anywhere.

I think it's safe to say that barring injury Sheldon is our opening day starter.

And while we're discussing this, can we figure out why the f**k the Birds keep ending up with these f**king whiners about their contracts? Lito gets pissed. Andrews gets pissed. Donovan wants a new deal.

Look, I get it, the Eagles are cheap. But for f**k's sake, when you have four years remaining on your deal, what in the history of the franchise makes you think they'll even discuss an extension with you--especially if you go public with it.

yeah...i dont get it

its like they dont see it coming when the eagles come to them and offer them this 19 year contract after theyve been in the league 2 years and then they realize theyre getting screwed on the back end 3 years later and start bitching...

but then they really dont have an alternative...if they offer you a contract you better take it or theyll Michael Lewis you...but he did get paid by the Niners I guess

They need to add voidable years.

The Eagles are doing--or trying to do--what the Cleveland Indians tried to do years ago to lock up their young guys well before they hit the market and get big money.

Which is a great, only what then?

You lock them up, but then when they become the All-Pros or Pro-Bowlers like you expect only they're not getting paid like it, what do you do then? Force them to play for that contract you got 'em into. So they're unhappy, how does that help you?

There's got to be a way for both sides to benefit from those long-term lock-up deals.

Its just the way the Eagles operate

They think both sides are benefiting. Hell, they act like they did the player a favor by 'setting up their family for life' with the signing bonus and extension they were gracious enough to offer them before their rookie contract expired. In their minds, the player owes them the years on the contract. Unless of course they happen to start to suck. Then theyll cut your ass. But hey, thats the NFL...

really the only person that comes to mind who turned them down on the extension over the years was Michael Lewis. And I sorta remember him coming out and saying they tried to bury him towards the end of his time here because he wouldnt sign the extension...

The only person that has succeeded in getting his contract re worked is Westbrook. Thats it. Thats the list...

theyre nothing if not predictable

Back