CFP: TCU vs. Michigan Discussion Thread

Interesting matchup with both being v strong 2ndh teams. I really don't think TCU comes storming back should they find themselves down at the half this time around.

Initial thoughts- Michigan will run all over them, but QJ really is special enough to keep TCU in the game. Ultimately I think the Wolverines are too much

tcu first team since michigan last year to be unranked to then make the playoffs.

I'm not discounting tcu. Playing in the deepest conference in college football and running the table like they did , winning the way they did also, is not as much luck as an intangible.....this is a gritty team that plays close games. They also seem to rise to the moment and I'd say the game at austin was their biggest game of the year and they showed up.

Michigan's got the better wins but overall their schedule is a joke ! That can allow a team to be overvalued and michigan might be. Give credit michigan has better top wins vs osu and penn state, but also 2 ovelry aggressive dc's in diaz and knowles and without the big plays and a lackluster pass game there is not a sample size that confidently says michigan is covering this........ TCU meanwhile has been playing alot more illinois level teams comparatively. TCU's run defense stats aren't the greatest for this matchup but also they've played some quality run teams

I like michigan to win but I would take plus 10...........under 60 I have already played

Don't forget Frogs have an elite DC....see Texas game

TCU has played much better defensively later in the year. I wouldn't call them elite, DC or otherwise.

The Texas game revolved around TCU knowing that Ewers couldn't hit the side of the barn and all they had to do was shut down the run. I've got a little more confidence in McCarthy being able to read defenses / make throws.

But, yes, no doubt that TCU has gotten better thru the year defensively.

TCU has played much better defensively later in the year. I wouldn't call them elite, DC or otherwise.

The Texas game revolved around TCU knowing that Ewers couldn't hit the side of the barn and all they had to do was shut down the run. I've got a little more confidence in McCarthy being able to read defenses / make throws.

But, yes, no doubt that TCU has gotten better thru the year defensively.

Gillespie is regarded as one of the best - he inherited one of the nation's worst D's (coached by one of the top D minds in CFB history BTW). A few well respected handicappers (Collin Wilson being one?) say he IS the best. A bit hamstrung at Tulsa - few players, and few teams played faster on O.

2021 - #111 SP+ ... 35 pts/g ... 461 yds - 7.2 / play ...222 rush - 5.8/carry - 13.0 yds/pt
2022 - #33 SP+ ..... 25 pts/g .......385 / g - 5.4/play........149 rush / 4.1 rush - 15.3 yds/pt

OU notwithstanding - Frogs played a stronger schedule of O's in 2022

No opinion on this game. It did seem like TCU was in some close games that they were very fortunate to win.

Michigan has started slow all year but since Corum has been out, the first halves have gone over both times.

Michigan feels, like I do, that they will have success on offense in this game. Don should have a huge game. My hope is he is able to be used in the pass game a bit more, that should be open for them quite a bit.

They want to get the run game going early. They are unhappy that it took till the 2h to get going in that aspect vs Purdue and Ohio State. I hope they are not too stubborn about this though. It okay to let the pass open up the run, shockingly enough.

Everything I have read indicates huge respect for Max on the other side. He won't get rattled like a Stroud has the last few years. Duggan, in the running game, is my biggest concern here.

JJ's comments were interesting with regards to the playoffs -- they aren't just happy to be here this time (not that it would have changed things last year). They know what is at stake and are ready for the challenge.

Line sitting at 7.5-58 currently...

I think UM TT full game right now is a great bet. I see 35-38 for them. I

Still thinking something like 38-24... (not advocating a play on the spread, yet).

This will be a fun one. High respect for TCU, but I also think that Michigan should be able to handle them when all said and done.

I just can’t get over all the 3rd string qbs tcu beat in lot their wins. I can’t get over the fact I liked k-st to beat them the second time and they did, k-st a nice team but they not the caliber of Michigan or the other playoff teams. Good for tcu getting here even if I can’t stand the fact a team who couldn’t win their conf championship should somehow be allowed to play for national championship!! (Obviously osu falls into this also and it not part of my capping, just a rant) I just don’t think they as good these other teams, if Michigan doesn’t beat them into submission to the point there no chance for a late rally I’ll be disappointed. We can point to they both better after halftime but I think it for much different reasons, Michigan great late cause they body punch teams all game, tcu won late cause they played chokers on their 3rd string qb’s! Sorry tcu, that how I feel. All that said I’m still not super thrilled to lay the points but end of day I most likely will.

I just can’t get over all the 3rd string qbs tcu beat in lot their wins. I can’t get over the fact I liked k-st to beat them the second time and they did, k-st a nice team but they not the caliber of Michigan or the other playoff teams. Good for tcu getting here even if I can’t stand the fact a team who couldn’t win their conf championship should somehow be allowed to play for national championship!! (Obviously osu falls into this also and it not part of my capping, just a rant) I just don’t think they as good these other teams, if Michigan doesn’t beat them into submission to the point there no chance for a late rally I’ll be disappointed. We can point to they both better after halftime but I think it for much different reasons, Michigan great late cause they body punch teams all game, tcu won late cause they played chokers on their 3rd string qb’s! Sorry tcu, that how I feel. All that said I’m still not super thrilled to lay the points but end of day I most likely will.

key thing to keep in mind with Michigan - is that Harbaugh will try to extend the margin late ...

I can see Frogs staying close - game is lost late - Michigan scores, and wins by 10-14

key thing to keep in mind with Michigan - is that Harbaugh will try to extend the margin late ...

I can see Frogs staying close - game is lost late - Michigan scores, and wins by 10-14

I think the level of physicality Michigan plays w is gonna be a total shock to tcu who played bunch of softy offenses in big 12, k-st the only big12 team who even remotely resembles Michigan, gave them problems in both meetings, amd k-st ain’t close to the level of Michigan. Maybe I’m just underselling tcu, I havnt too much, I did like texas vs them but after that I was hoping they stay undefeated so I could get them in big12 rematch w k-st.. I havnt been way off w tcu, played them a lot early in year, even back then I said I thought their d had potential and it has gotten much better, just not sure it equipped to deal w Michigan the way they were vs the spread attacks in big12? Imo this a mismatch, honestly we had no need for a 4 team playoff, Michigan and Uga really the only 2 teams who earned the right to play for championship imo, doesn’t mean they will win but they damn sure the best 2 teams. I seriously think osu has a much better chance vs Uga than tcu does vs Michigan.

More I think about I’m not sure TCU can beat Michigan. Frogs are not good at sustaining drives, they need the big play.

Interesting piece on GameDay re: Duggan. NIL deals? He's not interested. Financial stuff will take care of itself later, just wants to focus on the college experience and being a good QB. Plenty of money in D/FW that he could have capitalized on, especially as the season wore on.

Grounded kid. Very easy to cheer for. I'll cheer for him today, as long as Michigan covers.

Back