BCS

JimmyHoffa

Pretty much a regular
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=oddrow><TD>1. Alabama 12-0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD> 2. Oklahoma 11-1</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD> 3. Texas 11-1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD> 4. Florida 11-1</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD> 5. USC 10-1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD> 6. Utah 12-0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD> 7. Texas Tech 11-1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD> 8. Penn State 11-1</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD> 9. Boise State 12-0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>10. Ohio State 10-2</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>11. TCU 10-2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>12. Ball State 12-0</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>13. Cincinnati 10-2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>14. Oklahoma State 9-3</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>15. Georgia Tech 8-3</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>16. Georgia 9-3</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>17. Boston College 9-3</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>18. BYU 10-2</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>19. Oregon 9-3</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>20. Missouri 9-3</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>21. Michigan State 9-3</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>22. Northwestern 9-3</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>23. Pitt 8-3</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>24. Florida State 8-4</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>25. Virginia Tech 8-4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

such bullshit that usc is ranked higher than utah. Under what premise ?? utah is undefeated , usc has a loss ... to a team that utah defeated. Utah plays in the better conference by far. ....... USC has espn all over their balls every week and it works .. that is how reggie bush got the most undeserved heisman trophy in history ( not to mention home ) ... Greatest team of all-time ?? defeated by VY. It's getting old ....

obviously the ou over texas is stupid as all hell as well but no need to go over that bs again.

It's just sad. Two teams the Longhorns have beaten playing for the Big XII
Championship. Huge problem that needs to be rectified in the future.

Kyle, I was reading somewhere (didn't see it myself, so this is second hand) that the shills on ESPN were talking last night about the possibility of another split championship, offering scenarios in which USC would be awarded another AP Title at the end of the bowl season. They sounded very optimistic. LOL.

How do you go about breaking a three way tie? Texas & fans seems to think it is a 2 way tie, in which case 45-35 means something but that score means nothing more than 39-33 or 65-21 in a 3 way tie. The obvious tie breaker would be score among teams in tie or division or common opponents (ala NFL) or SOS but all of those procedures favor Oklahoma. There are 14 10-win teams OU defeated 3 of them, no one else even defeated 2.

How do you go about breaking a three way tie? Texas & fans seems to think it is a 2 way tie, in which case 45-35 means something but that score means nothing more than 39-33 or 65-21 in a 3 way tie. The obvious tie breaker would be score among teams in tie or division or common opponents (ala NFL) or SOS but all of those procedures favor Oklahoma. There are 14 10-win teams OU defeated 3 of them, no one else even defeated 2.

Utah defeated 2 of them. :tiphat:

Obviously I'm bias but I was at the game last night and they flew a plane over the stadium that said something like ...."45-35 the only score that matters" Does that not scream of desperation from the fans? I just don't get it, I know they are upset and I would be too from a fans perspective but whoever goes to the title game deserves to be there. If Texas took care of business we wouldn't be having this conversation and don't give me this bullshit about it being a last second play... do you not remember being down 22-6 at halftime???

Oh and one last thing Texas fans... be careful what you wish for. There is a buzzsaw up the hill by the name of Florida and I'm not sure I want to be standing in their way. One thing I do know though is TAKE THE OVER 100

GL to who ever makes it in tonight

Obviously I'm bias but I was at the game last night and they flew a plane over the stadium that said something like ...."45-35 the only score that matters" Does that not scream of desperation from the fans? I just don't get it, I know they are upset and I would be too from a fans perspective but whoever goes to the title game deserves to be there. If Texas took care of business we wouldn't be having this conversation and don't give me this bullshit about it being a last second play... do you not remember being down 22-6 at halftime???

Oh and one last thing Texas fans... be careful what you wish for. There is a buzzsaw up the hill by the name of Florida and I'm not sure I want to be standing in their way. One thing I do know though is TAKE THE OVER 100

DUDE, WE ARE IN!!!

It's just sad. Two teams the Longhorns have beaten playing for the Big XII
Championship. Huge problem that needs to be rectified in the future.
:shake: Makes no sense. It's gotta be tough seeing the teams you beat playing for the championship.

Team that'll get screwed the worst other than Texas is Boise. 12-0 ahead of Ohio State in rankings and they'll go to some shit bowl.

Can we all FINALLY agree that the BCS is BULLSH*T and we'll only get a TRUE NC with a playoff?

Mully :cheers:

^ how many teams though? the popular opinion is 8, but looking at the current BCS that would leave Boise shit outta luck and they certainly deserve a shot

^ how many teams though? the popular opinion is 8, but looking at the current BCS that would leave Boise shit outta luck and they certainly deserve a shot

Any playoff has to have every conference winner in it to be fair. That includes all of the really bad conferences like the sunbelt , pac10 or mac.

You know why I hate the BCS? Because it makes people sit around and decide who "earned" or "deserved" something. As if this is some stupid football banquet or awards ceremony where we sit around and hand out trophies and congratulate people on their accomplishments. We already have all that bullshit for the individual players, we ought not have it for teams as well. I thought we were trying to determine who the best team is. Wasn't that the expressed purpose of the BCS, to put the two best teams together and let it be decided on the field? That is why the system was upgraded from the bowl coalition so that we could actually figure out who the best team actually is. Problem is, it has only done that twice (OSU/Mia and Tex/USC) and it was really a coincidence in those seasons that it happened to work out.

Kyle's point is exactly what I'm talking about. Utah has "earned" more recognition than USC, so go right ahead and give them the "Good Job" trophy, but the thought of them meeting on the football field is really rather humorous. Trojans would run up the score on them just like they do to everyone else.

Wake me when there is a 4-8 team playoff.

we'd have some awesome playoff matchups this year and every year

Yes we would.

As for this year, how good would it be to have 1-8 on that list play it out. Oh baby!

1. Bama
8. Penn State

4. Florida
5. USC

3. Texas
6. Utah

2. Oklahoma
7. Texas Tech

If you wanted to re-seed a couple like making UF 3 and UT 4 to avoid so many early SEC and Big 12 matchups you could, but even that current set-up would work fine for me.

And before anyone says anything, no Boise doesn't belong in there, and Ohio State sure as fuck doesn't either.

You know why I hate the BCS? Because it makes people sit around and decide who "earned" or "deserved" something. As if this is some stupid football banquet or awards ceremony where we sit around and hand out trophies and congratulate people on their accomplishments. We already have all that bullshit for the individual players, we ought not have it for teams as well. I thought we were trying to determine who the best team is. Wasn't that the expressed purpose of the BCS, to put the two best teams together and let it be decided on the field? That is why the system was upgraded from the bowl coalition so that we could actually figure out who the best team actually is. Problem is, it has only done that twice (OSU/Mia and Tex/USC) and it was really a coincidence in those seasons that it happened to work out.

Kyle's point is exactly what I'm talking about. Utah has "earned" more recognition than USC, so go right ahead and give them the "Good Job" trophy, but the thought of them meeting on the football field is really rather humorous. Trojans would run up the score on them just like they do to everyone else.

Wake me when there is a 4-8 team playoff.

First , in my opinion , USC would destroy Utah if the two were to play. But i am also hitting at roughly 55% on my cfb predictions this year , so that certainly doesn't mean i am right that they would. And that is the problem. When we do not have a playoff , we have to ( or should ) be basing who goes to the title game based on actual accomplishment. If it is not based on accomplishment then lets just decide who the two best teams are and put them out there ( let lvsc do it ) or better yet let the preseason number one face the preseason number two.... as long as the games don't matter.

The system sucks. And given bias of people it will never be fair to the little guy and always biased to the usc , texas , ou , florida . tosu of the world.

Hell , deciding who the two best teams are is not an easy task even right now. I personally think Florida is probably the best team right now but if they are they are not that much better than alabama , texas , ou or usc. How do we decide who the best two teams are if we don't look at what the teams have actually done ??

By having a playoff that includes every conference champion , every team has the opportunity to go out , win their conference and then win out in a playoff to become champion.... no excuses. What if we are wrong about utah and boise st and ballst .... what if one of those teams would run the table ??

If OU goes and loses a 5th straight BCS bowl game they are going to replace Ohio St. as everyone's new whipping boy.

I agree that Florida would beat either team easily. Alabama not so much...

First , in my opinion , USC would destroy Utah if the two were to play. But i am also hitting at roughly 55% on my cfb predictions this year , so that certainly doesn't mean i am right that they would. And that is the problem. When we do not have a playoff , we have to ( or should ) be basing who goes to the title game based on actual accomplishment. If it is not based on accomplishment then lets just decide who the two best teams are and put them out there ( let lvsc do it ) or better yet let the preseason number one face the preseason number two.... as long as the games don't matter.

The system sucks. And given bias of people it will never be fair to the little guy and always biased to the usc , texas , ou , florida . tosu of the world.

Hell , deciding who the two best teams are is not an easy task even right now. I personally think Florida is probably the best team right now but if they are they are not that much better than alabama , texas , ou or usc. How do we decide who the best two teams are if we don't look at what the teams have actually done ??

By having a playoff that includes every conference champion , every team has the opportunity to go out , win their conference and then win out in a playoff to become champion.... no excuses. What if we are wrong about utah and boise st and ballst .... what if one of those teams would run the table ??

If only the conference champs go you would leave out a ton of good teams that deserve to go in tough conferences. An 8 team playoff with the best 8 would still make the regular season and OOC games very important until the end.

Just bet on the fucking games because the system is so fucked up and there will never be a true champ.I don't care if that trophy that looks like a christmas ornament is at your school it still doesn't prove that the school is the champ.Need a playoff and until that happens its just another game with bullshit surrounding it.

If only the conference champs go you would leave out a ton of good teams that deserve to go in tough conferences. An 8 team playoff with the best 8 would still make the regular season and OOC games very important until the end.

How can you leave out a conference champ though ??? ballst should have the chance to prove they are the best. Under any system that immediately eliminates the confusa , wac , mac and sunbelt champion , and i guess mwc champion since utah is getting F'd in the A , just doesn't do the sport justice. i would be for some at large bids but it would have to include all the conference winners.

The fact that 53 out of 120 teams are eliminated from being a champion before a single game is ever played is about as unjust as a sport can get. The only reason to have a playoff is for it to be proven on the field.

Saying that the sec , big12 and big10 are the best conferences is great but not necessarily true ... and even if they were or are , it does not mean that in a given year the best team might not be from a lesser conference. boise beat an oklahoma team that most thought were right there as far as best in the nation ( yes motivation is important ). Utah may have been the best team in 2004. I don't think so but they might have been and certainly deserved the right to try and prove it.

I just want a champion to be decided on the field and not by a poll or a panel or bcs conference bigwigs , or espn , or coaches who dont know what is going on outside their own conferences , or sportswriters etc etc etc

It's the only sport where conference winners or division winners are excluded from a chance to win it all.

5 of the top 7 teams are in two conferences this year. You just can't have a playoff and leave out TT, Texas, and Alabama over Utah, Ball St., Cincinnati, Tulsa, Troy, and Boise St., and VT. All those teams would get waxed if they played Bama or Texas.

Those playoffs and match-ups don't look very exciting and would be frowned upon more then the current system.

5 of the top 7 teams are in two conferences this year. You just can't have a playoff and leave out TT, Texas, and Alabama over Utah, Ball St., Cincinnati, Tulsa, Troy, and Boise St., and VT. All those teams would get waxed if they played Bama or Texas.

Those playoffs and match-ups don't look very exciting and would be frowned upon more then the current system.

maybe have at large bids ???

i dont disagree that they would all get waxed... i just want every team to actually have an opportunity to win it .... even if the better teams of texas , tt and bama are excluded , they atleast had the opportunity to win all of their games and go to the title game ..... in the current system 53 teams are immediately excluded during spring drills... with no opportunity ... so it is harder to feel sorry for the schools who had a chance to win every game and be champs but failed imo.

I argue about this every year. We are all going nuts over the injustice ( self included ) of oklahoma being chosen over texas but the smaller conferences have to deal with this before they even make a single play. It is the antithesis of sports.

I think part of my disdain for this part of the system is that i used to go to the blacktops and play basketball almost every single day when i was in high school. I can't dribble , lack speed , can't jump etc etc etc ... but i could beat other teams far more athletic than the one i was on. On paper , maybe my team didn't belong on the court but we absolutely kicked ass pretty consistently. That is what sport means to me .... go out , play the game and see who wins ....... not just picking and choosing based on who got the better "5 star recruits " and who has juco talent.

ncstate in cbb , villanova in cbb , nygiants vs patriots last year ... etc etc etc etc .... we can never have the improbable in cfb not because it wouldn't happen but because we disallow those types of events to occur before the season even starts.

You would probably have to have a 16 game playoff to do that. With the at large guys getting to fill in the spots left over after the conference winners. That wouldn't be to bad.

A playoff of any kind is needed at this point and would make so much money for the NCAA.

You would probably have to have a 16 game playoff to do that. With the at large guys getting to fill in the spots left over after the conference winners. That wouldn't be to bad.

A playoff of any kind is needed at this point and would make so much money for the NCAA.

agreed. even an 8 team where the smaller conferences are screwed would be a step in the right direction over this fiasco.

That would work. All you got to do is play 11 games a year and stop conf. championships.Now everything is all good.We solved this problem in just a day.

11 conference champions and 5 at larges. It's pretty damn simple. It'll take 4 weeks to do and would be awesome. I'd imagine it'd be right next to march madness in terms of excitement. I might not even hate December anymore who knows.

#1 team to get screwd????? TEXAS TECH.....penalized for losing to a team who is 60-2 at home and gets left out of the bcs all together.......Big 12 has screwed themselves with how the conference title game is set up....Missouri beating OU would be classic

such bullshit that usc is ranked higher than utah. Under what premise ?? utah is undefeated , usc has a loss ... to a team that utah defeated. Utah plays in the better conference by far. ....... USC has espn all over their balls every week and it works .. that is how reggie bush got the most undeserved heisman trophy in history ( not to mention home ) ... Greatest team of all-time ?? defeated by VY. It's getting old ....

obviously the ou over texas is stupid as all hell as well but no need to go over that bs again.

Utah wouldn't score 3 points vs. USC though.

Utah barely beat Ore St. @ home, in a miracle fashion they did. USC would beat Ore St.... something to zero or 3 @ home.

Would like for it to be just 8 teams but that would leave out some deserving teams every year, 16 is more feasible. That is only 4 weeks starting 2 weeks after end of season. You can't let all conference champs in (Sun Belt).

Also, "suggest" Notre Dame join Big 10 if they want to participate. Utah and BYU would be nice addition to Pac-10.

Yes we would.

As for this year, how good would it be to have 1-8 on that list play it out. Oh baby!

1. Bama
8. Penn State

4. Florida
5. USC

3. Texas
6. Utah

2. Oklahoma
7. Texas Tech

If you wanted to re-seed a couple like making UF 3 and UT 4 to avoid so many early SEC and Big 12 matchups you could, but even that current set-up would work fine for me.

And before anyone says anything, no Boise doesn't belong in there, and Ohio State sure as fuck doesn't either.

I agree with your 8 team playoff but also understand the complaint that tOSU and Boise fans have....:shake:
It's my contention that a #9 or #10 "seed" getting screwed is a HELLUVA lot better that the BS Tejas is being set-up for this year or the BS I'm hearing from the ESPN talking heads mentioning a split NC with USC....:seeya:

11 conference champions and 5 at larges. It's pretty damn simple. It'll take 4 weeks to do and would be awesome. I'd imagine it'd be right next to march madness in terms of excitement. I might not even hate December anymore who knows.

:cheers:

How much fun would it be to see if Tulsa or Ball could beat one of the "big boys"? I know everyone would say no chance BUT ya never know...I'm getting juiced just thinking about it...MFing BCS.

Utah wouldn't score 3 points vs. USC though.

Utah barely beat Ore St. @ home, in a miracle fashion they did. USC would beat Ore St.... something to zero or 3 @ home.

I guess teams aren't allowed to win close games if you're not a known national powerhouse? I mean Alabama beat TULANE 20-6 at home. Utah would put up 50 on Tulane. Does that mean Utah is better than Bama?

I mean Stanford put up 370 yards of offense against the world's greatest defense in USC yet only managed 190 against TCU.

Would like for it to be just 8 teams but that would leave out some deserving teams every year, 16 is more feasible. That is only 4 weeks starting 2 weeks after end of season. You can't let all conference champs in (Sun Belt).

Also, "suggest" Notre Dame join Big 10 if they want to participate. Utah and BYU would be nice addition to Pac-10.

The last part makes a ton of sense and has been hoped for by BYU and Utah fans for years. Makes every conference have a legitimate conference playoff.

As for just making the playoff 8 teams I disagree. Why keep the Sun Belt out or any other conference. If you're going to leave them out you might as well kick them down to 1-AA. It's not fair to any school/kid to say you have zero chance of a national chamionship before the season even starts.

Yes we would.

1. Bama
8. Penn State

4. Florida
5. USC

3. Texas
6. Utah

2. Oklahoma
7. Texas Tech

Best case would probably be more like:

1) Florida/Alabama winner
8) Boston College

4) Penn State
5) Utah

3) USC
6) Cincinnati

2) Oklahoma
7) Boise State

The Big 6 Conference champs would be automatics, and then there would likely have to be some provision for non-Big 6 teams to be included, like automatic berths for top 10 teams.

Not as powerful a first round, is it?

Florida/Alabama loser, Texas, Texas Tech, Ohio State and Ball State all sit at home. And worse case the playoffs could've looked like this:

1) Florida/Alabama winner
8) Virginia Tech 9-4

4) Utah
5) Cincinnati

3) Penn State
6) Boise State

2) Oklahoma
7) Oregon State

Try selling that 4-5 matchup to the networks. And pray the big names don't get upset and you end up with a Cincinnati-Boise State final. :hang:

Back