BAR Playoff Thoughts and Discussion Thread...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I wanted to get this started tonight a bit and will dive in some more tomorrow afternoon as well. There won't be many picks in here. I mostly live bet but will post props/team totals etc for the fade crowd...Tonight though, I wanted to give some quick thoughts on each series wager from myself in a betting perspective. I will be playing a few of these and will post as I do....

Toronto vs Washington

There is simply no value either way here. Generally, with the talent the Wizards have and the playoff issues of the Raptors at times I would say that looking at that juicy number is nice but I simply cannot see the Wizards putting things together for this series. Plus they have Scotty Brooks. This Raptors team is a bit different and even with 'Playoff Kyle Lowry' they can win this series in 4-6 games no problem at all. I cannot even think of a good series situation to bet either in.

Verdict: No bets period

Boston vs Milwaukee

This number is very interesting with how low it is. There is a distinct lack of respect for Boston here who happens to have a top 3 coach in the league. Do not discredit coaching in a playoff series. I wish the Bucks would put it together but they have been much like Washington this season. I think this number is very low and has definite value

Verdict: Boston -150/160 for the series. I would also look at them after Game 1 if they lose.

Philadelphia vs Miami

The Sixers come in on fire and seem like a fad pick here. I would love to see them do well. I also know that this Meat team with a great coach will give them fits. This is not the best match-up for Philadelphia here. I think they will win the series in the end but of they were to lose it would be no surprise.

Verdict: Miami +400 for a nibble or two. I wouldn't bet anything as the series goes though

Cleveland vs Indiana

We get this series again to open the playoffs but with some different faces. I think it is going to be a great series. Remember last year the Pacers really had them on the ropes the whole time but couldn't close enough. I think Dipo has a huge series here. Obviously, MVP Bron is gonna be big but they have to play some defense. They are not as skilled offensively as last year to overcome that as much.

Verdict: Indiana +450/463 and I would be tempted to get my feet wet after the first game as well. If you really want Cleveland you will have to wait for something like down 3-1 for a good price and 2-1 for a fair price.

Houston vs Minnesota

It was a fun season for Minny and they will just get better. Even if 'Playoff James Harden' shows up before a 'hard series' this Rockets team is way too good (I was wrong about how they would mix --- kudos to them). This series is over quick...5 tops.

Verdict: No play on anything. Look at an exacta perhaps?

Golden State vs San Antonio

This could be interesting for awhile as the dubs have been injures and in cruise control for a few months now. Many people will overreact to their last month or so and Curry injury but that is just what happens after many deep runs. Injuries and boredom. The season starts now. With that being said, I wouldn't bet this series but from a pure value perspective there is some in this ridiculous line

Verdict: If you want to bet, very small on Spurs +775/900.

Portland vs New Orleans

I love the Pelicans and AD is a top 3-4 performer in the league. Portland has somehow totally changed things since that loss at Denver in December. Dame was wondering after that night but they are so much different. The selfish play seems to have subsided a bit from last year. I like this team and they should have no problem with the Pelicans. I saw that the number already moved quite a bit.

Verdict: Portland is the play but the number got away. Track it and see if it goes down to something more comfortable. Otherwise, wait for a home loss and then bet them.

Utah vs Oklahoma City

This is the series that will be the most intense and fun. I had OKC pegged correctly this year... while most of Covers Social Media (aka twitter) had them out as challengers to the Warriors and the 'next big 3'. This is also the series both teams most likely wished to avoid. Remember, OKC has a terrible coach. This should never be discounted. The price is definitely wrong on this series. Even though I am sure Utah wish they had avoided this.. they are the better team.

Verdict: Utah +110/+115 but this seems like not enough of a comeback. You can hope to be down 0-1 or 0-2 but that is tough as well. Still worth a stab though, imo.

All prices are from a few books...I was merely trying to paint a picture in real time mixing offshore and local.

If brad Stevens was coaching the bucks, they’d probably be my pick to go to the finals in all honesty. That’s how important the coaching mismatch is in this series. The bucks have loads of talent. Just not sure they will be able to handle the playoff pressure and intensity.

Spurs lost value for taking them very small.

Still like Utah but think we can get similar if not better value as the series progresses so I will wait that out...

Boston good sized play and the other two smaller....

Not much as far as sides/totals/etc is standing out....well one TT....but still really pondering it....

Scouting props.... Dipo and Whiteside are my personal targets.

I love Brad stevens more than anyone. But a more talented C’s team last year in the first round was going to get swept by the Bulls before Rondo got hurt. Then they barely squeaked by Washington before getting beat by 200 points vs the Cavs over 5 games. He motivates his guys day in and night in the marathon of a regular season. But let’s not forget how lame they were first round last year before an awful Bulls team lost Rondo.

Over in Wizards 212. Been a habit for them to come out fast in first games of series
This game good over mild over mild under
The mild under has gone over with the Wizards 8 times

Light bet on Washington plus 8. Reasoning simple. Toronto first game of series. Playoffs. See if it still works

Taking Over 105.5 2h in Oakland...

Main motivation is I think I know how this 3Q will go and I will be able to set-up a little bit of a middle live (if that is what I want to do -- all goes with the flow)

Toronto says they are treating this like a Game 7. It should be interesting.

Yeah, impossible to pick a Game 1 side here at least pre-game.

So many question marks with both teams.

Lean Raps but can't back a team that hasn't won in this spot in their existence.

Taking Over 105.5 2h in Oakland...

Main motivation is I think I know how this 3Q will go and I will be able to set-up a little bit of a middle live (if that is what I want to do -- all goes with the flow)

Already have a 5t point middle 2 minutes in so we'll let it play out some more.

I just wanted 25 mins from him. Oh well. Lean Portland later will look for value live.

Looks pretty useless out there when he is, not much interest on d and doesn’t touch it on o. Get it back next game!
Yeah, it's obvious his time in Miami has come to an end. I'd expect some DNP-CD moving forward.

Just lazy capping here. He usually plays about 20 mins
Actually 25 or so. And if he gets 25 minutes he covers the prop. I should have waited a game to see if his head was on straight. That's the bad part. It's obviously a pretty toxic situation.

Actually 25 or so. And if he gets 25 minutes he covers the prop. I should have waited a game to see if his head was on straight. That's the bad part. It's obviously a pretty toxic situation.

He’s played 25 minutes just twice in the last six weeks

Trading this game in Boston small to start....

Few numbers I grabbed a few minutes ago on Boston ML... just need that next run....

Quick Saturday Thoughts:

Golden State did what they do. Weird that the Spurs were so 'loose' beforehand and played just awful. Playoff Klay looks a lot different when he is option 2 instead of option 3.

Philly 2nd half, incredible. This team has really gotten cohesive since the middle of the year. Now, they need to learn to back it up and protect their home court one more time.

I saw none of Toronto. Things look about right. Playoff Kyle Lowry at work. The Wizards just are not good. This series will have some good games but it is WeTheNorth all the way.

Stotts gonna Stotts. That is all I will say. I was lucky to split on live/HT bets in this game... it could of been disaster. You simply need to put up a better offensive performance against that defense. The game 2 spread is right in line with a team playing for their season.

Traded back

So...

138/145 Boston

and 139 (2x) Milwaukee

I'll take small profit on this game unless live total dips to 175 or below.

took lebron over 10 assists

The bucks are the more talented roster on paper

the problem is they are not disciplined enough to persevere for 48 minutes in playoff conditions on the road.... and that is all due to coaching

It's amazing that we need 7 fucking games to get it, and yes, I get it too

How Yawn

took lebron over 10 assists

The bucks are the more talented roster on paper

the problem is they are not disciplined enough to persevere for 48 minutes in playoff conditions on the road.... and that is all due to coaching
Nice hit on the assists prop.

not sure why any sportsbettor would complain about the length of the playoffs..... regular season i get it

I just wish the first round wouldn’t take forever , I guess it’s all about tv and avoiding having multiple games at same time

I just wish the first round wouldn’t take forever , I guess it’s all about tv and avoiding having multiple games at same time

They just need to play these series in 12 days tops.

I say it every year now, these series are such a break for the teams.

Back