2015 Coaching Carousel Thread

Agree with everything except the comment on Mississippi talent. There aren't many States that produce as much talent per capita as MS. The problem is that the competition for said talent makes it difficult for one program to have any sustained success if they are overly reliant on in state recruiting. Neither State nor Ole Miss will ever own the state in terms of recruiting, but Ole Miss mitigates that by going out of state much better than Miss. State does.

Amazingly Alabama only has one player from Mississippi on the current roster. They do a good job of keeping the elite talent in state.

Wait until Saban hires Richt as OC when Kiffin leaves

Sounds like Herman staying at Houston. Didn't see that coming, though I don't think he's a slam dunk hire for one of the big openings

Sounds like Herman staying at Houston. Didn't see that coming, though I don't think he's a slam dunk hire for one of the big openings
I give that dude much respect for holding out & waiting for a situation that works for him. Gets another year to cut his teeth before the insane big boy pressure. Most coaches woulda jumped willy nilly for the cash & prestige, regardless of whether it fit

Law of averages would prove you to be correct. 8/300 in the ESPN recruiting from the State of MS. 1 CB, 2 WR, and 5 OL/DL. I still put GA, FL, CA, and TX in the elite category of talent rich states. They tend to churn out more than half the top 300 between those 4 states.

You are missing one really really really big one

I'm assuming Greg Ward comes back for his senior year? I think so much of coaching being a what have you done for me lately gig is predicated on QB. It may seem short sighted, and it is to a certain degree, but if I'm a coach one of the first things I'm looking at is QB and what do I have on my roster the day I take a job that gives me a shot to win and win now. Make sense like Mullen to ride out Prescott and Herman to ride out Ward, if that's what happens, before jumping at a gig that is gonna take you several years to play up to program expectations when guys are getting canned or at least on the hot seat for winning 9 and 10 games at respective programs.

He should have left a few years ago. It is starting to look like the ship has sailed, and he will be stuck in Starkville for the foreseeable future unless he takesa step down. His name keeps popping up, but if Maryland passed on him, it's difficult to imagine him landing a high profile gig.
I've seen conflicting reports on the MD hire. Durkin's name is being bandied about and rumor was that they were going to announce the hire today. I would love to get Mullen but wondering about whether GA will now really go after him?

Maryland is primed to get a big name. I know they are not perceived as a destination job. But with the UA money flowing into the program, they will have the pockets to lure a big time coach.
Plank is heavily involved in the process and MD can't afford to fuck this hire up. Mullen and Durkin appear to be the two candidates at the top of the list, but they are interviewing Frank Reich as well.

Law of averages would prove you to be correct. 8/300 in the ESPN recruiting from the State of MS. 1 CB, 2 WR, and 5 OL/DL. I still put GA, FL, CA, and TX in the elite category of talent rich states. They tend to churn out more than half the top 300 between those 4 states.

Completely agree. In terms of sheer numbers those states churn out football players.

Grove - What is your opinion on where Mullen will end up, or will he stay at MSU?

Grove - What is your opinion on where Mullen will end up, or will he stay at MSU?

He wants out. It's a poorly kept secret at this point. He loses the best player in school history this year, and he will probably lose a couple draft-eligible juniors. The West isn't getting any easier and now he has lost two in a row and three out of the last four to his rival. From a personality standpoint he would be a much better fit outside of the Deep South. If Maryland wanted him I can't imagine him not accepting the position.

@BruceFeldmanCFB: #Auburn DC & ex #UF coach Will Muschamp is getting some consideration from #SouthCarolina for its HC vacancy, source tells @FoxSports.

Hahahaha

What if coach boom goes to SoCar & basically ruins UF's SEC East chances every year? Beats UF for enough recruits to become a hindrance? That shit would be hilarious & FSU we are ALL for coach Boom succeeding in Columbia

Boom is low on Tanner's list from what I hear. Not sure how much I trust the gossips on the threads today. They are also saying Richt is being considered. IMO Boom would be a bad hire.

Riley is also being discussed.

Fedora was being discussed but I am hearing he is firmly not on the list.

Who knows wtf is going on. Tanner named his top a month ago and now both the top have moved off of us.

Perry Orth, Lorenzo Nunez, Connor Mitch, 4-Star Brandon McIlwain commit for 2016.

Not a big Perry fan from what I have seen.

I was saying all year they should run Nunez in the option or wildcat with Cooper and try to develop him because he is a decent athlete.

Connor Mitch got hurt early but pre season got a lot of hype as best QB we were supposed to get in a while. Did not look amazing before hurt but showed some promise.

4 star recruit again supposed to be pretty good. Word is he may have to come in starting next year depending on the coach.

I am kind og excited for McIlwain though, kid has a great attitude. The day after Spurrier announce retirement and a lot of recruits were shaky he said he was 100%. A good QB has been a crux for a long time at SC. Thought Spurrier would change that but never really did.

McIlwain was also told he could be taken very high in the MLB draft so him actually playing may still be up in the air some despite what he has said. We will know come early enroll I suppose.

I'd like to see Hudspeth in at Miss State. This is the wrong year for his name to resonate cause the QBs were average the defense lost some key guys so they won't get to win the NO Bowl yet again, but I still think he is a pretty damn good head coach.

He wants out. It's a poorly kept secret at this point. He loses the best player in school history this year, and he will probably lose a couple draft-eligible juniors. The West isn't getting any easier and now he has lost two in a row and three out of the last four to his rival. From a personality standpoint he would be a much better fit outside of the Deep South. If Maryland wanted him I can't imagine him not accepting the position.
Thanks for your thoughts Grove, do you think that Georgia has any interest in Mullen?

I'd like to see Hudspeth in at Miss State. This is the wrong year for his name to resonate cause the QBs were average the defense lost some key guys so they won't get to win the NO Bowl yet again, but I still think he is a pretty damn good head coach.

He would've been #1 on their list in the past, but he's facing an NCAA investigation and a possible show cause. He's too radioactive right now.

On Mullen and UGA, I would be surprised if he was their first choice. I think UGA alums would prefer Smart or possibly even Bobo to Mullen. UGA's AD and Mullen worked together at UF so there is some familiarity. Mullen would be a solid hire for them, but I don't think that their fan base would be enthusiastic about him.

FWIW, I'm hearing Smart to UGA. They may wait until after the SEC championship game to announce.

I heard a guy today say something that made a whole lotta sense.

Smart is 39 years old....that is a big big fucking stage for a guy my age. Saban has his hands on that defense that he coaches, and I would bet he has his hands all in it....look, I like Smart like the next guy, but that is a HUGE HUGE gamble for a top 10 job.

I mean it COULD pay dividends, but that is a real roll of the dice after having stability for a decade.

If I am UGA, I wouldn't do it..

Boom is low on Tanner's list from what I hear. Not sure how much I trust the gossips on the threads today. They are also saying Richt is being considered. IMO Boom would be a bad hire.

Governor Riley?

I heard a guy today say something that made a whole lotta sense.

Smart is 39 years old....that is a big big fucking stage for a guy my age. Saban has his hands on that defense that he coaches, and I would bet he has his hands all in it....look, I like Smart like the next guy, but that is a HUGE HUGE gamble for a top 10 job.

I mean it COULD pay dividends, but that is a real roll of the dice after having stability for a decade.

If I am UGA, I wouldn't do it..

Tend to agree, but I'm confident that they are going with Smart. I think he's trying to assemble a staff now. It should be interesting to see how he fares now that the training wheels are off.

I think he will prove to be a great hire if UGA does take him. Have to applaud his patience, he could have jumped at UT, Arky or Auburn but he maintained privately that he was holding out for UGA job and looks like he may get it.

Fedora was being discussed but I am hearing he is firmly not on the list.

Who knows wtf is going on. Tanner named his top a month ago and now both the top have moved off of us.

Dont see Riley leaving OU this offseason.

Hearing Mitch Browning possibly returning to Minnesota as OC. He was Co-OC and OL coach here under Glen Mason and was instrumental in developing the rushing attack that featured Barber and Maroney. Nothing official yet but this would be a good hire IMO. Dude knows how to coach an offense and the OL in particular. Currently coaching OL for Rutgers.

Scott Frost to UCF has the potential to be a homerun. Bring the Duck offense to a talent rich environment. He will need some help on defense. But with the right hire, the Knights could make some noise.

Dont see Riley leaving OU this offseason.
I don't either just a name being tossed around now that we are in scramble mode. Actually feel pretty confident now that UGA will not take Kirby. They have a lot of options available to them at this point.

Back