2015 Coaching Carousel Thread

ECU fires Ruffin McNeill. I guess they will try to bring Lincoln Riley back has a HC. I doubt he will with the other interest he is receiving.

Latest on Mushcamp
As of last night, all signs point to Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp being the next head coach at South Carolina. Muschamp interviewed with South Carolina brass in Charlotte from what I have been told. I was told it was as much a meeting as it was an interview in the sense that preliminary discussions had already taken place. Muschamp laid out his specific plan, including the staff he believes he can bring, how he would attack the recruiting end of things and, of course, what he would do differently offensively this time around.

We have talked about some of the staff possibilities, including coaches like Travaris Robinson, Ellis Johnson, Lance Thompson Tracy Rocker, Burton Burns and Bobby Bentley. Kurt Roper and Major Applewhite have been mentioned as possible offensive coordinator possibilities. Robinson would likely need the defensive coordinator title to take the job, as he has been offered Maryland’s defensive coordinator spot and could get a similar offer at Auburn. I think it would take at least assistant head coach title for Johnson to join the staff.

Thompson and Burns are both close to the retirement benefit threshold in the state of Alabama and that could prove to be an obstacle. I got the impression it could be more of an issue with Burns than Thompson, but I have also been told Muschamp has strong contingency plans if one or both decline.

I can also tell you Muschamp also called former Gamecock star running back Marcus Lattimore on Thursday evening and the two reportedly had a good conversation. While they did not discuss specifics, Muschamp did make it clear to Lattimore that he would have an opportunity to be part of his staff at South Carolina if he is indeed named head coach.

I have heard mixed things on when the hiring could be announced if finalized. There was some internal push to try to get it announced before the conference championship games tomorrow, but that may not be feasible. If not, it could be Sunday or Monday. I would anticipate more information leaking out as the day goes on today.

Canes should not hire that guy. My opinion from the north.

Wow - UVA is a big step down from BYU. I am amazed that Mendenhall made that move.

The ink is dry. They are just waiting for Monday to announce since his auburn contract had a few days left.

In the realm of huge downgrades at coach does Spurrier to Muschamp rank in the top ten of all time?

Just wow .. South Carolina will now be relegated to a shit program again. UNC football on the rise, Clemson in the playoff ... recruiting is going to be harder too.

Predict bad things for that school.

Mendenhall is no good either. Cannot manage a clock to save his life. Cannot develop players (even coachable 28 year olds), Cannot recruit and cannot coach offense or defense x's and O's. London was horrible but I don't get this move for UVA.

Babers>Mendenhall. Somehow Cuse gets Babers and UVA gets Mendenhall. Cavs deserve to suck.

In the realm of huge downgrades at coach does Spurrier to Muschamp rank in the top ten of all time?

Just wow .. South Carolina will now be relegated to a shit program again. UNC football on the rise, Clemson in the playoff ... recruiting is going to be harder too.

Predict bad things for that school.
Such a joke. There have only been a few examples of a coach getting fired and then getting rehired back in the same conference. Usually does not go well. Lincoln Riley is who I wanted. But yes clown you are dead right. We are shitting on the spurrier era and relegating ourselves back to the gutter with this hire. A ton of SC people are acting like this is a good thing and he will recruit his ass off. He was called the Three Star Bandit at Florida for a reason.

Pretty much Jimmy Sexton just played Ray Tanner for a fiddle and the rest of the SEC. Leveraged Kirby as top hire at SC to speed up Richt hiring then slides Muschamp into a hugely undeserved roll. He should not be on anyone's list for HC 1 year removed from ruining Florida. The next person I hear around here give Muschamp credit for Florida being in the SEC Championship this year will get punched.

Kirby Smart called Bret Bielema and asked about talking with Arky OC, Dan Enos (IMO, the best OC in the country) and it was a short convo. Enos, like Petrino before him at ARky, had a non-compete built in to his contract keeping him from taking a non head coaching position in the SEC. Would have loved him at Bama too when Kiffin leaves but doesn't look like that's an option.

How come we never hear of Brent Venables name for a HC gig? Maybe it's true he is promised the Kansas State job

In somewhat if surprise, it is sounding increasingly likely that Lane Kiffin will remain at Alabama next season. Would never thought this possible a few months ago. Guess his image still needs further rehabilitation. Interestingly, in his two years as OC, he has coached Alabama's all-time best seasons for a passer, receiver and runner.

In somewhat if surprise, it is sounding increasingly likely that Lane Kiffin will remain at Alabama next season. Would never thought this possible a few months ago. Guess his image still needs further rehabilitation. Interestingly, in his two years as OC, he has coached Alabama's all-time best seasons for a passer, receiver and runner.
Waiting out Lesticle

Waiting out Lesticle

doubt that, but I really thought they would make a run at him for OC

It seems Cam may be sticking around.....he is actually going to see Franks today for an in home. Not sure why, shit seems dead as dead can be. Unless Eason goes FLA, even then FF said he doesn't care. Weird weird situation.

I think he's done a good job, but he needs Saban in his ass to keep him from on the straight and narrow. Otherwise, you'd get what Nebraska got this year, where the OC has to show how fucking smart he is instead of just running the same play that the opponent can't stop.

I think he's done a good job, but he needs Saban in his ass to keep him from on the straight and narrow. Otherwise, you'd get what Nebraska got this year, where the OC has to show how fucking smart he is instead of just running the same play that the opponent can't stop.

lol. Been there with Kiffin at times and during some games I yell at him for doing same, especially early in the year. I don't know why we ran any play other than interior run against Auburn when it was getting 8 everytime. He can frustrate me some, but wherever Lane has been, he just gets the ball to his playmakers. Sure, he can get a little cute sometimes like any OC but if he has an edge he rides it

[h=3]Zurik: LSU releases emails about Les Miles[/h]Posted: Dec 08, 2015 5:43 PM CST <noscript><em class="wnDate">Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:43 PM EST</em></noscript><!--END wnDate-->Updated: Dec 08, 2015 10:00 PM CST <noscript><em class="wnDate">Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:00 PM EST</em></noscript><!--END wnDate--><style>time.prefixdate:before{content:'Posted: ';}time.prefixdate:before{content:'Updated: ';}</style>Written by: Lee Zurik, Chief Investigative ReporterEmail
Connectlzurik@fox8live.com

Contributor: Tom Wright, Investigative ProducerEmail
Connecttwright@fox8tv.net

<!--DISPLAY SIZE 37: -->

<!--END wnDSItems-->
<!-- END wnDS37-->
  • <style>.addthis_toolbox.raycom2015 span {width: 22px !important;height: 23px !important;background: url("http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wncustom/custom/raycom/2015/images/raycom-sprite.png") no-repeat left !important;}.addthis_toolbox.raycom2015 span.aticon-facebook {background-position: -320px -10px !important;}.addthis_toolbox.raycom2015 span.aticon-twitter {background-position: -352px -10px !important;}.addthis_toolbox.raycom2015 span.at_PinItButton {background-position: -416px -10px !important;}.addthis_toolbox.raycom2015 span.aticon-email {background-position: -446px -10px !important;}</style>
<!--END WNStoryHeader--> [h=6][/h]
File image of LSU football coach Les Miles

<!--END WNStoryRelatedBox--> NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Louisiana State University has a leak associated with its athletic department - and high-ranking officials say they know who it is.
[h=3]MOREAdditional LinksPoll
[/h]

The university released nearly 2,000 emails to us, and they reveal some of the behind-the-scenes details of how LSU handled Les Miles' job future. They also reveal discussions of that internal leak, and the emails to and from the school's athletics director and chancellor reveal some dissension among board members.
Five hours before LSU kicked off against Texas A&M on Nov. 28, the athletic department started working on a press release, announcing Miles would stay on as head coach.
At 12:31 that afternoon, an employee in the school's sports information department emailed athletics director Joe Alleva with a first draft of a release, saying, "Les Miles will remain the football coach at LSU."
Alleva responded an hour later with a change, asking them to add that "adjustments to our team" were needed, and he and Miles had talked about it.
Throughout the process, a few stories had been leaked to the media, beginning November 17 when The Advocate reported Miles would be coaching for his job. LSU board member Blake Chatelain, an Alexandria banker, sent Alleva an email in response, writing the article was "pretty much it."
Alleva communicated the most with Chatelain, the board's athletic committee chairman. On Tuesday, November 24, Chatelain asked Alleva to send him a "scanned copy of his contract."
In our public records request to LSU, we asked for all emails sent Nov. 2 through Nov. 29, to and from Alleva and LSU System president King Alexander, with the following keywords: Miles, Fisher, Jimbo, Sexton, Coach, Les, and contract.
Judging by the content, board members and Alleva seemed well aware their emails are considered public records under the law, and could be requested and read by the media and the general public. Much of the time, they were reserved or measured in their responses.
Consider this November 29 exchange between Alleva and Chatelain. They discussed an ESPN story that reported the Miles decision was made during the third quarter of the Texas A&M game.
Alleva wrote to Chatelain, "Leak. I know where. I told you on phone."
Chatelain replied, "That leak has caused problems thorough out this ordeal. Put us all in tight spots. Would not do anything about it. Just be careful. Will discuss in person when we can. "
The emails also reveal dissension among board members. On the morning of that Texas A&M game, a USA Today article quoted board member Stanley Jacobs, who said, "Les Miles is our coach. I wish him well."
Alexander sent the article to a handful of board members and wrote, "Stanley felt compelled to do his own press release on behalf of the board."
Another board member, Ann Duplessis responded, "I agree...not cool."
Five days before that Texas A&M game, the board had a lengthy email exchange in which board member Stephen Perry called Les Miles "quirky... sometimes lovable... sometimes exasperating... sometimes maddening... sometimes hard to understand." The email concludes, "Whatever our decision, let's do it right, and let's get it right. Let's have a great process, trust it, and do it well."
Chatelain responded, writing that Alleva and Alexander need time to evaluate but will consider six points in their evaluation, including the financial ramifications, the university impact, whether the issues of the past two seasons can be fixed, whether they can find new and better leadership - and at what cost.
Many in the college football community thought a change would come. Alleva received a pitch from Omnia Coaching Search and an "urgent and highly confidential" email from Collegiate Sports Associates, both looking to handle a future search.
For any LSU fan wanting Alleva to be fired, this may be of note. After LSU decided to keep Miles, ESPN commentator Paul Finebaum said Alleva should be fired. But Alexander wrote, "Finebaum is a talking head and has no accountability to anybody."
Les Miles will be back as football coach. Nonetheless, the emails show that any future decisions will be handled differently.
Chatelain wrote the following:
The lesson learned here is how rapid and vicious the 24 hour news cycle and the social media impact is on matters like this. We can learn from this and be better prepared in future. I will say , that most of the feedback I have received from fans sounds like this " it was probably the right decision to keep Les - but I sure hope he was given the message that the program has problems that need addressing This my friends was one of the most fluid, complex, confusing situations I have ever seen [sic].
Board member Ray Lasseigne responded that a protocol or policy for future coaching changes needs to be developed, with the biggest lesson being that "extreme confidentiality along with quick and decisive action will be key."
And board member Rolfe McColister seemed bothered by the attention going to football, writing: "The public and fans are divided. What I don't hear is their position on who we hire for Provost. The key academic position and one king also has to make and we hear nothing [sic]. Only views on football coach. This speaks volume. Same with media. Oh well, we see their priorities."
Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.

At least someone is learning a lesson. Gamecocks are acting like they knocked this out of the park lol. About the only thing I am excited about is T Rob and the recruiting already picking up.

At least someone is learning a lesson. Gamecocks are acting like they knocked this out of the park lol. About the only thing I am excited about is T Rob and the recruiting already picking up.

Yeah, nope.

Nobody wanted that job...kinda weird...

easily worst hire of the offseason...

Yeah, nope.

Nobody wanted that job...kinda weird...

easily worst hire of the offseason...
Oh EASILY worst hire of the offseason. Sadly nobody else wanted the job as you say and now the Gamecock fanbase (including a lot of friends) are justifying it in their heads and making comments like "Even Spurrier, Saban, Holts, Mack Brown were .500 win % their first 4 years" LOL don't even try to put Coach Boom in that class of coaches.

The Kurt Roper hire for OC kind of had me puzzled, should be interesting to see how it pans out. I am fully expecting us to suck big time the next 4 years and anything beyond that will be a bonus.

At least Muschamp is out there recruiting with TRob and I am hearing Spurrier Jr is out so that is an immediate upgrade.

He has not shot unless he has grown a ton. I will say, there will be less pressure there at head coach than he had at Florida as a head coach or his past few DC jobs. He was in over his head at Florida. I was cheering for him and thought it would be a good fit there but he was a deer in headlights. Maybe he has grown enough to do it

I think Muschamp has the same problem Malzahn has, they don't care enough about the other side of the ball to put in any effort there. Fans like to say stuff like, all Malzahn/Muschamp has to do is hire a great DC/OC and get out of the way. That is lunacy and a recipe for disaster. Yes, the HC can focus more on the side of the ball he has more expertise, but if he just leaves the coordinator carte blanche on the other side, you will have major problems. Case in point, Muschamp blowing up on the sidelines against Alabama enough times to get a warning and then a 15 yard penalty at a crucial moment. Can anyone think of any successful head coach that would tolerate an assistant, even a really good one, doing that? The HC has to be the CEO, overseeing everything. Saban is definitely a defensive guy, but I feel pretty confident that at multiple times this season he has had to tell Kiffin that Derrick Henry is going to get the ball more.

Yea gps having your HC rely on his coordinators to be successful is a recipe for disaster. Muschamp may do well here I will wait until the second year to judge completely since next year we are going to be thin.

Yea gps having your HC rely on his coordinators to be successful is a recipe for disaster. Muschamp may do well here I will wait until the second year to judge completely since next year we are going to be thin.

It's worked for Dabo. I don't think it's a bad think to have the coordinators do their job and trust them. However you MUST maintain a CEO type role where everyone knows you're the bauce

It's worked for Dabo. I don't think it's a bad think to have the coordinators do their job and trust them. However you MUST maintain a CEO type role where everyone knows you're the bauce

I think it can work as you said, but the HC has to be the boss. I know less about UF under Muschamp, but look at AU's defensive recruiting under Malzahn. They have gotten a few studs no doubt, but there is very little after a couple of big names each year. But they recruit and sign 5-6 athletes who end up on offense. Recruiting is the main part of it I guess. But watching Muschamp get that penalty against us was unbelievable to me. I tried to envision what Saban would do if Lane or Kirby did something similar

Back